Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse Incl. Off Topic > Kit & Tab

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 30-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #2086
cheddatom
Member
 
cheddatom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 June 2003
yeh those headphones are cool. I just find it very very hard to position a mic if I can hear a load of the amp, rather than just hearing what comes through the mic. Those headphones aren't 100% effective, but they're better than any others i've tried.

I have an e609 and it's nice, but I do prefer 57s.

I think a lot of the problem comes from the difference between a great guitar sound solo'd, and a great guitar sound in the mix. For example, you might like the chunkiness of the mic quite far away from the centre, but in the mix it just doesn't have that sparkle you need for it to cut through.
cheddatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #2087
faptdivers
Member
 
faptdivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 November 2008
Location: Bucharest
Age: 22
Send a message via Yahoo to faptdivers
Twitter icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tPostThePear View Post
i've done about 50% of the work for some cool synthy action, i need a few more modules, a polivoks filter, a synthacon, one more adsr and a module for integrating guitar into synthy stuff

fuck i am not even half way there, i need a mixer, a splitter and an lfo, a case, a psu, loads of patch cables etc. and later some oscs, vcas, midi module etc. this shit grows fast.


That looks awesome man , the circuit boards look really clean and I just love the swiss cheese frontplates.
How exactly do you plan on processing your guitar through it? Just filtering it , using it as an oscillator to modulate another oscillator?

Also , what modules have you built so far?
faptdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #2088
Don'tPostThePear
aka. Dániel /accents ftw/
 
Don'tPostThePear's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 May 2009
Location: Hungary
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by faptdivers View Post
That looks awesome man , the circuit boards look really clean and I just love the swiss cheese frontplates.
How exactly do you plan on processing your guitar through it? Just filtering it , using it as an oscillator to modulate another oscillator?

Also , what modules have you built so far?
Thanks!

My short term plan is to use the modules for filtering guitar and software oscillators from my computer. I gotta make an extra module which makes a gate signal whenever i play a note on the guitar. Then the gate signal triggers the ADSR which controls the filter. I gonna use standard guitar octave pedals and fuzzes to get down to lower octaves and synth like waveforms.

On the long term i gonna make some mixers/splitters for some more advanced filtering stuff (dual/triple bandpass filters sweeping different frequencies for vowel sounds etc.) and gonna get a VCA to get out different attacks and stuff from the guitar. And some extra modulation sources. (more adsrs, lfos and later some esoteric stuff like Make Noise René, Pressure Points, Brains etc.) Probably gonna make a module for a few fuzzes (like a 2U wide panel with 10 different fuzzes) Gotta get a midi interface too for controlling a few stuff from my computer.

So far i've made a Yusynth Minimoog VCF a Yusynth ADSR a Meatball/Mutron III clone and a MS20 filter

I've ordered a Synthacon VCF and a dual CGS ADSR board so probably they will come next.
__________________
HARIBO
Don'tPostThePear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #2089
james90
now with 50% more glitter
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddatom View Post
yeh those headphones are cool. I just find it very very hard to position a mic if I can hear a load of the amp, rather than just hearing what comes through the mic. Those headphones aren't 100% effective, but they're better than any others i've tried.

I have an e609 and it's nice, but I do prefer 57s.

I think a lot of the problem comes from the difference between a great guitar sound solo'd, and a great guitar sound in the mix. For example, you might like the chunkiness of the mic quite far away from the centre, but in the mix it just doesn't have that sparkle you need for it to cut through.
Yeah I can understand that, but the problem I was having with the isolation box is that the mic boom can't be moved further back - so the SM57 is jammed into the speaker. It seems like it was designed for mics like the e609, which are a completely different size. I bought one of those gooseneck things, so maybe that will let me use the SM57 properly.

I sort of have an idea what to do with mic positioning, and I don't think it was a case of having too much/too little cut, but rather just getting a usable sound.

This was probably one of my best recordings (that I have saved anyway). It was actually just a demo/test, but it turned out a lot better than usual. This was just the SM57 in front of the 2x12. slightly off axis and maybe about 1/2" away from the grille.

__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25th May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26th May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #2090
cheddatom
Member
 
cheddatom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 June 2003
I'll give that a listen later

Deffinitely experiment with the distance from the speaker. Sometimes I want it right up against the cone, other times I might even have it 6 inches away, depending on what we're after.

Also, mixing a close mic with a room mic can work wonderfully, if you remember to measure for phase
cheddatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #2091
_Oskar
Member
 
_Oskar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16 August 2009
Location: Norway
Went to Sweden and ended up with a new Gretsch. Needs a set up, but otherwise plays amazing!
_Oskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #2092
IntelligentAl
Go on, argue with me.
 
IntelligentAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 May 2011
Location: The Crossroads
Facebook icon You Tube icon
Nice, I love the Electromatics. I used one for a while a year or so ago and sounded great with just a little overdrive pushing it, and the Bigsby just tops it off nicely. I like that finish too, the one I was using was sunburst but I think I prefer the wine red.

The reason I say used to use one is because I dropped it off the side of the stage one night and the owner never let me near it again
__________________
Top class prick.
IntelligentAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #2093
Dominic.
Member
 
Dominic.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 31 January 2008
Location: The magnificent South East
Age: 20
Last.fm icon Twitter icon
I love Gretsch's


Dominic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #2094
james90
now with 50% more glitter
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddatom View Post
I'll give that a listen later

Deffinitely experiment with the distance from the speaker. Sometimes I want it right up against the cone, other times I might even have it 6 inches away, depending on what we're after.

Also, mixing a close mic with a room mic can work wonderfully, if you remember to measure for phase
interesting

i'm finally getting some good sounds now. shame i can't use a 57 though...



still need to experiment with it a little, but it sounds more like what you'd expect really.

the main reason i got this was so that i could record (or even just listen to) my older amps which need to be cranked up to distort. i have an attenuator, which i'll still need to use with some of these, but at lower settings it just muffles everything.

so i figure if i just leave it at the highest setting (which still cuts almost 3/4 the volume) i won't have to worry about blowing up the speaker, and it won't alter the sound too much.

the only thing i don't really understand is that it sounds slightly better at lower levels.

for example, they sound best anywhere between 10 o clock and 1 o clock. i'm guessing it's the speaker being pushed too hard or something...but when i've used a bigger cabinet with more speakers, the higher the volume, the better it sounds. it does just sound thicker past a certain point though, rather than more distorted.
__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25th May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26th May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #2095
Crowella
Will fap for food
 
Crowella's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 August 2007
Location: Syd City 2000
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Crowella Send a message via Skype™ to Crowella
Facebook icon Twitter icon SoundCloud icon reddit icon
I don't want to interrupt James' new recording box. I'm actually very intrigued by it since I find it hard to record here without being too soft or annoying the neighbours.

Those same neighbours will now have to put up with my mini bass rig. 500 Watts of doom. Quite loud

In pics:
SGC Na, yeah yeah, we all know what bass it is.
Ampeg PF-500
Epifani UL2 210

__________________
Valko | It's like, a band with me in it, doing stuff, playing music, etc.
My cats keep saying Mao. I have communist cats. | Ninja Assassin | Air Morgan in Acer Air Band
I am a monster truck, that walks like a man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloosh View Post
I thought you were a girl.
Crowella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #2096
Don'tPostThePear
aka. Dániel /accents ftw/
 
Don'tPostThePear's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 May 2009
Location: Hungary
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowella View Post
I don't want to interrupt James' new recording box. I'm actually very intrigued by it since I find it hard to record here without being too soft or annoying the neighbours.

Those same neighbours will now have to put up with my mini bass rig. 500 Watts of doom. Quite loud

In pics:
SGC Na, yeah yeah, we all know what bass it is.
Ampeg PF-500
Epifani UL2 210

Nice! It looks clean like something you can left in the corner of an actual living room or something, when i place my gear in a room it looks destroyed until i remove my stuff from there.
__________________
HARIBO
Don'tPostThePear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #2097
cheddatom
Member
 
cheddatom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 June 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
...
the only thing i don't really understand is that it sounds slightly better at lower levels.
...
Gain staging innit. You have to keep playing with the gain at each stage until it's all working together, including the speaker, and I don't think there are any set rules.

[offensivelystupidquestion]You are remembering to pull back the pre-amp gain on the mic when you push the master volume right?[/offensivelystupidquestion]

It looks like you could mount a small boom arm in there for a 57 but it's not very clear from the pic how much depth there is infront of the speaker. Anyway, that's a really cool tool, i'd love one for home use. Fortunately where I record, I get to whack the amps up.
cheddatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #2098
cheddatom
Member
 
cheddatom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 June 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowella View Post
Who's the bird?
cheddatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #2099
Crowella
Will fap for food
 
Crowella's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 August 2007
Location: Syd City 2000
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Crowella Send a message via Skype™ to Crowella
Facebook icon Twitter icon SoundCloud icon reddit icon
Just a bird that makes a mess off those nice wooden floors.
__________________
Valko | It's like, a band with me in it, doing stuff, playing music, etc.
My cats keep saying Mao. I have communist cats. | Ninja Assassin | Air Morgan in Acer Air Band
I am a monster truck, that walks like a man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloosh View Post
I thought you were a girl.
Crowella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #2100
james90
now with 50% more glitter
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddatom View Post
Gain staging innit. You have to keep playing with the gain at each stage until it's all working together, including the speaker, and I don't think there are any set rules.

[offensivelystupidquestion]You are remembering to pull back the pre-amp gain on the mic when you push the master volume right?[/offensivelystupidquestion]

It looks like you could mount a small boom arm in there for a 57 but it's not very clear from the pic how much depth there is infront of the speaker. Anyway, that's a really cool tool, i'd love one for home use. Fortunately where I record, I get to whack the amps up.
Yeah, I did

I'm getting a much more usable sound now, but I've still got to mess around with the mic positioning. I've also got one of those goosenecks, but I don't think it will work too well for this.

I'll try to get some sound clips up later as well.
__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25th May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26th May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
amplifiers , amps , bass , drums , effects , fap fap fap , gear , guitars , instruments , kit and tab , musicporn , pedalboard , pedals , pictures , racks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)