Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse Incl. Off Topic > Kit & Tab

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #61
fineline
Member
 
fineline's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28 June 2006
Location: Walsall UK
Age: 24
Ok then, should I get a multi-effects unit or single effects and why? People have been telling me different things. I tried out a boss gt8 and the zoom equivalent yesterday and got confused, but maybe that's just because I don't know how to use them. I guess if I got used to them it would be alright, if multi effects then what would people recomend?(not looking at paying too much more than 250 quid really.)
If single effects then I'm looking for a delay, a wah and a distortion. I've tried a few out but I know from experience that something can sound great in the shop, and even when you get it home for a while, but then you grow to hate it after a while. I want something that will last me for years.
__________________
"What we've become is contrary to what we want. Take a bow"
My band Me
fineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #62
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 27
Facebook icon You Tube icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fineline View Post
Ok then, should I get a multi-effects unit or single effects and why? People have been telling me different things. I tried out a boss gt8 and the zoom equivalent yesterday and got confused, but maybe that's just because I don't know how to use them. I guess if I got used to them it would be alright, if multi effects then what would people recomend?(not looking at paying too much more than 250 quid really.)
If single effects then I'm looking for a delay, a wah and a distortion. I've tried a few out but I know from experience that something can sound great in the shop, and even when you get it home for a while, but then you grow to hate it after a while. I want something that will last me for years.
right....

for mutli-effects:

gives you loads of effects to play with, relatively cheap (compared to buying each individual effect) and doesn't take up as much room as a pedal board with loads of individual effects, great way to learn about effects and what they do, where they can be used

against multi-effects:

bit "jack-of-all-trades", can be limiting as they usually order the effects for you, can be awkward to use as you said, don't get as much 'on-the-fly' adjustability, got to go through menus and stuff, new multi-effects with amp modelling can have problems with amps, so therefore requiring a way to bypass the pre-amp on the amp to get the best sound out of them. patches.

for individual pedals:

allows you to be specific with how the effect sounds, generally better quality sound, alot simplier to use, lots of flexibility, there's no fixed orders or ways to use them, don't usually need to set them up stupidly to get the best sound of them.
if you have a gig where you only need one or two effects, you can just take those, taking up less room, rather than a huge unit with lots of knobs and switches.
allows you to be a pretentious cunt

against individual pedals:

comparitively expensive, if you want loads of different effects they can take up a shit load of room and they become slightly addictive
everyone thinks you are a pretenious cunt.
__________________
Parva Hinton: Spotify Itunes Youtube Facebook
3rd Storey Chemist

Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #63
Phill
 
Phill's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 December 2003
Location: Cornwall
Age: 29
Facebook icon Flickr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
everyone thinks you are a pretenious cunt.
Phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #64
donbenjy
Member
 
donbenjy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29 January 2004
Location: Leicester, UK
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to donbenjy
ok well IMHO, all beginners to gear (even if you're fantastic at actually playing the guitar) should try a cheapish muti effects unit just for the variety of sounds. Who cares if they arn't the best vintage tones, cos as a n00b, you won't knwo the difference really anyway

Once you get bored/realise that the multi FX thing is actually crap (most people will do after trying some analog single units.) then you can go onto stompboxes. Best thing is to try them all out in a shop, but failing that its bst to get a solid distortion/fuzz/overdrive base of stuff sorted - then I'd suggest a delay, wah, chorus etc. and modulation. Lastly you can look at EQ pedals, compressors n stuff that you can finalize your sound with. Personally I don't feel the need to use a comp or EQ in my current rig, as it all sounds nic and dandy as it is
__________________
donbenjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #65
fineline
Member
 
fineline's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28 June 2006
Location: Walsall UK
Age: 24
yer, I think I'll probably go for single effects. I like the idea of multi effects but what I really want is quality and simplicity. I want to know what I'm doing on stage without confusing myself choosing the wrong effect in the middle of a song etc. So what pedals then, mainly for delay, wah and distortion but I want to try some things I wouldn't usually think of so any recomendations would be great.
__________________
"What we've become is contrary to what we want. Take a bow"
My band Me
fineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #66
donbenjy
Member
 
donbenjy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29 January 2004
Location: Leicester, UK
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to donbenjy
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
right....
comparitively expensive, if you want loads of different effects they can take up a shit load of room and they become slightly addictive
everyone thinks knows you are a pretenious cunt.
That whole paragraph is completely understated
__________________
donbenjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #67
Dramatic Hammer
Legendary Swordsman
 
Join Date: 24 August 2003
Send a message via MSN to Dramatic Hammer
Facebook icon MySpace icon
The other good thing about multi fx is that they can help you choose a decent amp when the time comes... Especially if you're using something which has nearly-real names !
__________________
Dramatic Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #68
Dramatic Hammer
Legendary Swordsman
 
Join Date: 24 August 2003
Send a message via MSN to Dramatic Hammer
Facebook icon MySpace icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fineline View Post
yer, I think I'll probably go for single effects. I like the idea of multi effects but what I really want is quality and simplicity. I want to know what I'm doing on stage without confusing myself choosing the wrong effect in the middle of a song etc. So what pedals then, mainly for delay, wah and distortion but I want to try some things I wouldn't usually think of so any recomendations would be great.
This is why you should get a cheapish multi ... At least then you'll know what you're aiming for!
__________________
Dramatic Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #69
donbenjy
Member
 
donbenjy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29 January 2004
Location: Leicester, UK
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to donbenjy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fineline View Post
yer, I think I'll probably go for single effects. I like the idea of multi effects but what I really want is quality and simplicity. I want to know what I'm doing on stage without confusing myself choosing the wrong effect in the middle of a song etc. So what pedals then, mainly for delay, wah and distortion but I want to try some things I wouldn't usually think of so any recomendations would be great.
well distortion falls into roughly 3 sections: Overdrive (bluesy type in-your-face guitar but with all the definition of playing clean...kinda crunchy), Distortion (more gritty-can't always make out every note...tends to be quite saturated and full: makes your guitar sound BIG) and fuzz-listen to PIB or any hendrix
__________________
donbenjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #70
fineline
Member
 
fineline's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28 June 2006
Location: Walsall UK
Age: 24
Both the guitarist and the bassist in my band have a fuzz face and, although I like the tone, I'm deflinitely looking for a distortion rather than a fuzz/overdrive. Bit of background on me though (might help you give me advice,) I've been playing guitar for just over 2 years but have only just got a job, so have just started to be able to afford effects. My band is indie/rock. I play a strat through a Marshall AVT 50.
__________________
"What we've become is contrary to what we want. Take a bow"
My band Me
fineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #71
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 27
Facebook icon You Tube icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fineline View Post
Both the guitarist and the bassist in my band have a fuzz face and, although I like the tone, I'm deflinitely looking for a distortion rather than a fuzz/overdrive. Bit of background on me though (might help you give me advice,) I've been playing guitar for just over 2 years but have only just got a job, so have just started to be able to afford effects. My band is indie/rock. I play a strat through a Marshall AVT 50.
if you're after distortion, you may find upgrading the amp might do a better job than a pedal. i'm sure someone on here will recommend a proco rat, but to get a distortion sound i'm happy with, i've had to modify mine and boost it with an overdrive pedal.

do you know what kind of sound you're after? modern marshall crunch, mesa saturation, orange fatness......
__________________
Parva Hinton: Spotify Itunes Youtube Facebook
3rd Storey Chemist

Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #72
fineline
Member
 
fineline's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28 June 2006
Location: Walsall UK
Age: 24
I really like the mesa distortion sound. I can't really afford to upgrade my amp until the end of the year and I'm going to get either a mesa or a better marshall.
__________________
"What we've become is contrary to what we want. Take a bow"
My band Me
fineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #73
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 27
Facebook icon You Tube icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fineline View Post
I really like the mesa distortion sound. I can't really afford to upgrade my amp until the end of the year and I'm going to get either a mesa or a better marshall.
go for the mesa


no idea what sort of pedal would do that sound though.
__________________
Parva Hinton: Spotify Itunes Youtube Facebook
3rd Storey Chemist

Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #74
Phill
 
Phill's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 December 2003
Location: Cornwall
Age: 29
Facebook icon Flickr icon
try a Tech 21 Sansamp, they've got a Fender model, a marshall model and a mesa model, you can get a lot of different distortion sounds from one and they sound pretty good!
Phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #75
Dramatic Hammer
Legendary Swordsman
 
Join Date: 24 August 2003
Send a message via MSN to Dramatic Hammer
Facebook icon MySpace icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
try a Tech 21 Sansamp, they've got a Fender model, a marshall model and a mesa model, you can get a lot of different distortion sounds from one and they sound pretty good!
Cunning! Even more cunning: Get the stompbox Behringer version !
__________________
Dramatic Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
amplifier , diezel vh4 , electro harmonix , equipment , fuzz factory , gear , help buying , help guitar jaguar strat , instruments , k&t , kit , music , mxr 90 , new equipment , not sure what to buy , phaesr , recommend , recommendations , recommended gear , what should i get?


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommended FX Settings haze015 Kit & Tab 440 10-07-2014 10:14 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)