Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse Incl. Off Topic > Kit & Tab

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
donbenjy
Member
 
donbenjy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29 January 2004
Location: Leicester, UK
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to donbenjy
Recommended Gear Thread

Hey, thought that as there are so many different effects and stuff on here, that people could post some recommendations of their gear that they really love...I've been looking out for some new FX recently but I really can't decide what I want, and I'm sorted for the "core" stuff like distortion, so I'd rather buy a specific pedal which people say they couldn't play without.

I'd recommend the EHX Deluxe Memory Man (1.5 year anniversary present from my wonderful gf! ) because it is teh god of analog delays...it realy does do everything you could want! This just inspires me to play and I can't write music fast enough for it...only ONE problem with it is that it's hard to try and not use it for every song we have

My Peavey Classic 30 is a really solid workhorse amp and anyone looking for a valve combo in the £300-£400 range should definately play one of these...plus it matches my guitar colour

So...like 2 or 3 bits of gear that you think EVERYONE should own! (although then people would loose their individual sound so whatever...)
__________________
donbenjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 11:22 PM   #2
Bchbiker16
Banned
 
Join Date: 23 July 2006
Age: 23
vox ac30. what else is there to say?
Bchbiker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #3
Marvolo
I just want my phone call
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28 July 2006
Location: Bat Country
Send a message via MSN to Marvolo
You Tube icon
fuz faktory
__________________
radiohead + eminem

I think I need a 1983 Casio DG-20 electric guitar
Set to electric mandolin
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 27
Facebook icon You Tube icon
mans0n wiv billt in fuz faktory lolz


on a more serious note, i'd agree with the memory man recommendation, i love mine to bits and it is useful in any situation on any instrument.

don't know what other gear i'd recommend though, fender bassman for clean, mesa solo 50 for distortion, can't go wrong with a big muff to be honest.

couldn't live without my marshall though, i love that a little too much
__________________
Parva Hinton: Spotify Itunes Youtube Facebook
3rd Storey Chemist

Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
coffee_and_tv
will eat your chicken
 
coffee_and_tv's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28 January 2006
Location: melbourne! yeah!
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to coffee_and_tv
Facebook icon MySpace icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
mans0n wiv billt in fuz faktory lolz


on a more serious note, i'd agree with the memory man recommendation, i love mine to bits and it is useful in any situation on any instrument.

don't know what other gear i'd recommend though, fender bassman for clean, mesa solo 50 for distortion, can't go wrong with a big muff to be honest.

couldn't live without my marshall though, i love that a little too much
agreed. its starting to get a little creepy...
__________________
myspace!
bandspace!
blog!

8/9/04 MUSE FESTIVAL HALL --- 30/1/07 MUSE FESTIVAL HALL
17/8/07 BOB DYLAN ROD LAVER ARENA --- 15/11/07 MUSE ROD LAVER ARENA
25/2/08 INTERPOL FESTIVAL HALL
5/1/09 FRANZ FERDINAND THE PALACE THEATRE
coffee_and_tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
james90
now with 50% more glitter
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
mans0n wiv billt in fuz faktory lolz


on a more serious note, i'd agree with the memory man recommendation, i love mine to bits and it is useful in any situation on any instrument.

don't know what other gear i'd recommend though, fender bassman for clean, mesa solo 50 for distortion, can't go wrong with a big muff to be honest.

couldn't live without my marshall though, i love that a little too much
I have to disagree with that, I can't turn my bassmans up past 4 without them breaking up a fair amount...and I don't mean slight overdrive, it's not clean at all. this is going through a 300W 2x12 with a strat. No way would I gig this amp unless I'm using it for lead.

I've been thinking of selling them and getting either a 70's non-MV super lead or a 1959SLP re-issue..obviously I would go for the 70's super lead first, but what would you recommend?

I know I could get away playing clean with a super lead at a medium sized gig (with the channels un-bridged anyway)...but I plan to have an A/B setup with this and the Mesa.
__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25th May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26th May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
cheddatom
Member
 
cheddatom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 June 2003
I would recommend absolutely everyone to get a behringer limiter/enhancer. The copy of the boss lmb-2 or whatever it's called. Everyone could do with an easy to control compressor like this at the end of their chain, and the enhance circuit adds a sort of beautiful shimmer, especially to clean guitars.

And it's too cheap.
cheddatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
donbenjy
Member
 
donbenjy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29 January 2004
Location: Leicester, UK
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to donbenjy
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
I've been thinking of selling them and getting either a 70's non-MV super lead or a 1959SLP re-issue..obviously I would go for the 70's super lead first, but what would you recommend?

I know I could get away playing clean with a super lead at a medium sized gig (with the channels un-bridged anyway)...but I plan to have an A/B setup with this and the Mesa.
oooh really?! would you perhaps consider shipping across the pond?! What rough price would you want?

I love bassmans although I got "banned" from using the one I have acces to cos i "broke" it apparently says the drummer with no idea what he's on about..."you can't plug a GUITAR into a BASS AMP DUH!" the eq was messed and the volume cranked on the bass channel ftw! I didn't even touch it so now I can't play it cos the bassist that owns it said I can't....GRRR
__________________
donbenjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #9
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 27
Facebook icon You Tube icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
I have to disagree with that, I can't turn my bassmans up past 4 without them breaking up a fair amount...and I don't mean slight overdrive, it's not clean at all. this is going through a 300W 2x12 with a strat. No way would I gig this amp unless I'm using it for lead.
The Bassman reissue has by far the beautiful clean tone I've ever heard. Never had the oppurtunity to really crank one though

Anyway, I didn't think they were clean when cranked, old marshalls ripped off the design for a start
__________________
Parva Hinton: Spotify Itunes Youtube Facebook
3rd Storey Chemist

Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
jeremy kyle
777
 
jeremy kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 May 2004
Location: Belfast/Dublin
Age: 14
Send a message via MSN to jeremy kyle
MySpace icon
pedulla basses for comfort,tone on the other hand
__________________
OH I REALLY HATE FR.DICK BYRNE!!
jeremy kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 06:50 AM   #11
james90
now with 50% more glitter
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbenjy View Post
oooh really?! would you perhaps consider shipping across the pond?! What rough price would you want?

I love bassmans although I got "banned" from using the one I have acces to cos i "broke" it apparently says the drummer with no idea what he's on about..."you can't plug a GUITAR into a BASS AMP DUH!" the eq was messed and the volume cranked on the bass channel ftw! I didn't even touch it so now I can't play it cos the bassist that owns it said I
can't....GRRR
that's crazy I think he's got it backwards, you can use a guitar with a bass amp, but not a bass with a guitar amp.

Oh, and I thought you would need one of those transformers if you're going to use a 120V amp with a 240V power supply...hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
The Bassman reissue has by far the beautiful clean tone I've ever heard. Never had the oppurtunity to really crank one though

Anyway, I didn't think they were clean when cranked, old marshalls ripped off the design for a start
I don't recall using a tweed 4x10 re-issue before, so I don't know what that's like...I hear the late 60's AB 165 Fender bassmans break up later, as they were supposed to be 'improved' for basses...they still didn't do a great job improving it! However, they are absolutely amazing with guitars (if you're into playing classic rock)

Anyway. As you know, I have an Orange rocker 30 head, which I still don't have a 'proper' cabinet for. (I end up disconnecting a speaker in my 8 ohm 2x12 for a 16 ohm load whenever I want to use my Orange )

So, what kind of cab would you recommend for this amp? I would get an Orange 2x12 because of the build quality and great tone, but I'd rather have different speakers...or at least one vintage 30 and one other speaker (G12H maybe).
__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25th May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26th May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #12
ADAM
Where's my undertitles?!?
 
ADAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 December 2003
Location: Manchester
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to ADAM
Facebook icon Twitter icon You Tube icon
In ear monitoring headphones!

perfect audio - yet protecting your hearing

westone UM2's FTW!
__________________
ADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #13
donbenjy
Member
 
donbenjy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29 January 2004
Location: Leicester, UK
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to donbenjy
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
that's crazy I think he's got it backwards, you can use a guitar with a bass amp, but not a bass with a guitar amp.

Oh, and I thought you would need one of those transformers if you're going to use a 120V amp with a 240V power supply...hmm.
oh yeah! I forgot the power thing...you wouldn't happen to have one of the Export ones with the power selector then?
__________________
donbenjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #14
Doog
mini-matt
 
Doog's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14 May 2003
Location: Wolverhampton, UK
Age: 31
Twitter icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM View Post
In ear monitoring headphones!

perfect audio - yet protecting your hearing

westone UM2's FTW!
how much do they cost?
Doog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #15
ADAM
Where's my undertitles?!?
 
ADAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 December 2003
Location: Manchester
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to ADAM
Facebook icon Twitter icon You Tube icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doog View Post
how much do they cost?
theyre usually around the 500 mark

but get them from here and your laughing

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/um2dudrineaw.html

under 200!

well they were when I got them - they MAY have put their prices up - but free worldwide shipping cant be beaten!
__________________
ADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
amplifier , diezel vh4 , electro harmonix , equipment , fuzz factory , gear , help buying , help guitar jaguar strat , instruments , k&t , kit , music , mxr 90 , new equipment , not sure what to buy , phaesr , recommend , recommendations , recommended gear , what should i get?


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommended FX Settings haze015 Kit & Tab 440 10-07-2014 10:14 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)