Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse > Songs & Releases

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #2206
MartianSpaghettiRider
Member
 
MartianSpaghettiRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 January 2015
Location: Italy
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
I meant more just reiterating/quoting what he sees people say about them as an example of °ģthought contagion°Į than owt that in depth tbh. You°Įre probs right though, I just like the idea of that alt. narrative. Now that I°Įve thunk it, I°Įd actually be really interested in a song on that topic. Hell, maybe even more than one since there°Įs multiple angles you could tackle it from.
Whoa, this so much. Lyrically wise, Matt may even conceive songs as intensely angsty as the ones on Showbiz or Origin.
But I think he currently feels "too" fine to tackle this issues. Provoking further conflict between the band and its own fanbase is probably the last thing he wants now. It's quite of a pity, though, because I like the idea of an artist that challenges their audience's ideas about their image and identity in a significantly creative fashion, no matter how famous they may be.
__________________
You've got the Readers and Books, babe... Now I am literalized!
MartianSpaghettiRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #2207
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 21
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianSpaghettiRider View Post
Whoa, this so much. Lyrically wise, Matt may even conceive songs as intensely angsty as the ones on Showbiz or Origin.
But I think he currently feels "too" fine to tackle this issues. Provoking further conflict between the band and its own fanbase is probably the last thing he wants now. It's quite of a pity, though, because I like the idea of an artist that challenges their audience's ideas about their image and identity in a significantly creative fashion, no matter how famous they may be.
You can write about that without creating friction w/ fans tbf, he doesn’t have to go full Forgot About Dre (as much as that would be fucking hilarious). There’s defo potential for some angst/frustration/exasperation there, or maybe a more self-conscious vibe if he feels that, or even take another perspective as he likes to do and write from a fan’s POV. I’d be fine with going down the more arrogant route but it has to be a damn good track to pull it off.

I guess it’d just be fresh more than anything, which’d be nice. It’s not a topic we’ve remotely heard them touch on, it’d feel genuine and it’s something tangible that people could connect to - as opposed to more vague half-baked conspiracy waffle. Be a good post-Drones topic as well, after finally going back for fan-service and now moving towards pop again.

Unless he just genuinely doesn’t care, but I’m pretty sure that’s not true. Doubt we’ll see it happen anywayyyy, shame.
__________________
Old Trafford (4/9/10) | Leeds Festival (28/8/11) | Etihad Stadium (1/6/13) | Manchester Academy (22/3/15) | Download Festival (13/6/15)
Manchester Arena (9/4/16) | London O2 (11/4/16) | London O2 (12/4/16) | London O2 (14/4/16) | London O2 (15/4/16) | Eiffel Tower (28/6/16)
Shepherd's Bush Empire (19/8/17) | Belfast Vital (23/8/17) | Leeds Festival (25/8/17)

Last edited by Jobby; 13-03-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Jobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #2208
SerpentSatellite
A subtle sense of absence
 
SerpentSatellite's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkadelic View Post
It's not so much about completely shutting the conservative viewpoint out as the fact that the goal post keeps moving on what a conservative is. It's also worth noting that the left doesn't even get the same exposure. Like I said before, MSNBC is considered left-leaning, but it's full of neoliberals who wanted Clinton over Sanders.
tbf, it seems like you just have, and most people probably do, a preconceived notion on what constitutes "left" and "right" to you, and that's what you're looking to see represented.

Democrats have pushed the centrist agenda for quite a long time because they've been struggling to win seats and consider it a compromise.
Sanders and a lot of progressives are a bit radical.
Having such a wide division in the party is one of the reasons it struggles, too; not having a solid system of beliefs/wedge issues creates voter apathy.
The same propaganda machines that aided Trump also targeted Sanders fans, too, remember. And it worked. That's part of this whole Russia meddling thing that's getting swept under the rug, and it's going to kill the party in the next elections, too, if people aren't willing to do some soul searching.

On the other hand, to prevent exactly that division, the Republicans have embraced a shift to the far-right because it plays well with the base, and keeps them in power.
It's a hell of a lot easier when you can do whatever you want as long as you're pro-gun, anti-abortion, backed by evangelical Christian leaders, etc.
You don't see a lot of moderate conservative viewpoints because there hardly are any loud voices in that camp; it would be bad for their career.

On a completely different note, there's some interesting studies about how people are orders of magnitude more likely to spread false stories on Twitter than true ones, and that's a rather interesting and concerning topic with no easy solution.... and telling everyone to shut off Twitter isn't a fair answer.
SerpentSatellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #2209
Kueller917
Funniest Muser 2013
 
Kueller917's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 April 2009
Location: US
Age: 24
Twitter icon You Tube icon SoundCloud icon
Democrat compromise had made them a party of nothing to the point where Sanders was considered a radical. There's also a difference between having a debate about actual debate worthy things and having debates on points that are clearly off.
__________________
2009/12/11 | 2010/04/14 | 2011/08/13 | 2013/01/28
2015/12/15 | 2015/12/18 | 2017/08/27 | 2017/09/15

Kueller917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #2210
SerpentSatellite
A subtle sense of absence
 
SerpentSatellite's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 June 2012
The problem is when people have vastly different opinions on what's debate-worthy, and what to do when people aren't willing to compromise on things that comprise civil liberty violations.
I don't think it's easy, but it can be done. Unfortunately, there's "radicals" on both parties that aren't willing entertain dialogs on even the stuff that should be open to compromise.
"Fake news" and memes make easy prey of those people on both sides.
SerpentSatellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 10:22 PM   #2211
funkadelic
Member
 
funkadelic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 June 2007
Location: England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentSatellite View Post
tbf, it seems like you just have, and most people probably do, a preconceived notion on what constitutes "left" and "right" to you, and that's what you're looking to see represented.

Democrats have pushed the centrist agenda for quite a long time because they've been struggling to win seats and consider it a compromise.
Sanders and a lot of progressives are a bit radical.
Having such a wide division in the party is one of the reasons it struggles, too; not having a solid system of beliefs/wedge issues creates voter apathy.
The same propaganda machines that aided Trump also targeted Sanders fans, too, remember. And it worked. That's part of this whole Russia meddling thing that's getting swept under the rug, and it's going to kill the party in the next elections, too, if people aren't willing to do some soul searching.

On the other hand, to prevent exactly that division, the Republicans have embraced a shift to the far-right because it plays well with the base, and keeps them in power.
It's a hell of a lot easier when you can do whatever you want as long as you're pro-gun, anti-abortion, backed by evangelical Christian leaders, etc.
You don't see a lot of moderate conservative viewpoints because there hardly are any loud voices in that camp; it would be bad for their career.

On a completely different note, there's some interesting studies about how people are orders of magnitude more likely to spread false stories on Twitter than true ones, and that's a rather interesting and concerning topic with no easy solution.... and telling everyone to shut off Twitter isn't a fair answer.
The fact that the Democrats are desperately trying to cling to centrism is what's going to hurt them because they aren't willing to take a strong stand on anything. They have nothing new to offer. Sanders being seen as radical says a lot.

People are always going to be vulnerable to fake information. That's why mainstream news needs to be better. The problems Americans are facing are too serious to waste time on someone like Tomi Lahren who obviously is only looking for attention, or some Trump goon who still won't acknowledge climate change is real. I don't see any point trying to placate to the right because they're not going to stop accusing the left of hating America. The Democrats have always given in to Republican demands, and it's gotten them nowhere. There are Republicans out there who are trying to bring some sense back into the party, but I stand by my opinion that the crazier ones are given a platform for the ratings they bring in.

I think fundamentally we disagree here because I'm a pretty far left person. I don't see it as an issue of both sides.

Last edited by funkadelic; 13-03-2018 at 10:28 PM.
funkadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 11:40 PM   #2212
SerpentSatellite
A subtle sense of absence
 
SerpentSatellite's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 June 2012
My beliefs are mainly far-left, but I also feel that the Dems have been trying to do the right thing and understand that lasting change needs to be made through compromise, instead of a pendulum swing from one extreme to the other.
We were making progress as a country, but the rise of populism and moreso nationalism destroyed that.
I love Sanders, for instance, but also have to face the fact that his sort of populism, similar to Trump's, opened the door for manipulation and divisiveness.
All those Sanders supporters who were persuaded not to compromise and vote for Hillary aided in fucking over our country, whether you like to admit it or not.
SerpentSatellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 01:43 AM   #2213
funkadelic
Member
 
funkadelic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 June 2007
Location: England
Age: 30
See I disagree with that. I think this has been a growing problem ever since the Tea Party, and it finally reached the boiling point with Trump. Democrats have taken their base for granted because the only other option is Republicans, so their base wasn't energised enough to turn out when they needed to. I see it as similar to how people lost faith in Labour and didn't end up turning out for Ed Miliband in the 2015 election. The energy around Sanders and Trump implied people were looking for a change, yet they insisted on pushing Clinton. I'm not defending those Sanders people, but there were plenty who did vote for Clinton, and her side wasn't exactly innocent either.

That said I am hoping the Dems pull through and win in 2018. But I also hope they don't mess it up to the point that next time around people flip back to the Republicans.

Anyway, I'm sorry to go down a politics rabbit hole. It's just really nice to have a proper discussion about it. It's not really possible on social media and reddit is...reddit.

Last edited by funkadelic; 14-03-2018 at 02:06 AM.
funkadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 06:55 AM   #2214
PlugInYorkie
Member
 
PlugInYorkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27 October 2013
Location: Perth
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenbanana View Post
It's gonna be as bad as that Arctic Monkeys cover of Hold On, We're Going Home.
Iím just commenting to say I wholeheartedly disagree! That cover was amazing and absolutely destroys the shithouse original.
The Arctic Monkeys have fused hip hop elements with their own music and itís worked well.
Turner and Co are leagues above Muse at present and I think their new album will be gamechanging whereas Iím not so optimistic for Muse
PlugInYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 07:01 AM   #2215
PlugInYorkie
Member
 
PlugInYorkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27 October 2013
Location: Perth
Age: 26
I didnít actually mind Thought Contagion, nowhere near as bad as the people on here said.
Not a huge fan of the 30STM style chanting but hearing it live the song definitely works. Mattís vocals are solid and I like the darker vibe to this. Guitar and bass sounding alright. Where is Dom? I feel heís going to get replaced by a machine on the new album at this rate.

New album is sounding like itíll be a mish mash of random politically motivated songs and experimenting like 2nd Law. Surely they canít make a worse album than that?
PlugInYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 04:06 AM   #2216
lurkinglurker
Member
 
lurkinglurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugInYorkie View Post
The Arctic Monkeys have fused hip hop elements with their own music and itís worked well.
Turner and Co are leagues above Muse at present and I think their new album will be gamechanging whereas Iím not so optimistic for Muse
Agree new AM album has a good chance to be better than a new Muse album, disagree with AM being gamechanging. I don't think they are at all, or really have much of a potential to be even though I like their music.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by shostakobitch View Post
I give you all the award of Lamest Fanbase 2015
lurkinglurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 06:34 AM   #2217
PlugInYorkie
Member
 
PlugInYorkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27 October 2013
Location: Perth
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkinglurker View Post
Agree new AM album has a good chance to be better than a new Muse album, disagree with AM being gamechanging. I don't think they are at all, or really have much of a potential to be even though I like their music.
I just have this feeling their new album will be a big one and will somehow top the previous one.
PlugInYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #2218
fabripav
Funniest Muser 2012
 
fabripav's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 October 2010
Age: 25
Last.fm icon Twitter icon
Game changer for humanity
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiT View Post
" Did you ever struggle in lessons at school and then feel annoyed at the kid next to you who was absolutely nailing everything?" - I was the one who nailed everything.
fabripav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #2219
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 21
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
AM was a bit wanky but still >>>>> than T2L. Drones debatable. Muse still miles better live but donít think either have ever been Ďgamechangingí tbh. Hard to say whoís really on top of the other unless youíre going by strictly mainstream relevance + sales. Oneís a younger indie rock/pop band while the otherís been an amalgamation of prop/pop/classical/rock/metal over the years though so a comparison is a bit redundant imo.

I think Thought Contagionís verses are about as close as youíll get to Muse doing hip hop anyway - other than getting a feature in like Who Knows Who. Bless him, but Mattís lyrical construction is nowhere near the level itíd need to be to pull off something similar to what Alex Turnerís done in the past. His writing style for melodies naturally tends to revolve around extending short phrases into long notes as well. Not that thatís a bad thing - different strokes and shit - just means that route wouldnít suit Matt.
__________________
Old Trafford (4/9/10) | Leeds Festival (28/8/11) | Etihad Stadium (1/6/13) | Manchester Academy (22/3/15) | Download Festival (13/6/15)
Manchester Arena (9/4/16) | London O2 (11/4/16) | London O2 (12/4/16) | London O2 (14/4/16) | London O2 (15/4/16) | Eiffel Tower (28/6/16)
Shepherd's Bush Empire (19/8/17) | Belfast Vital (23/8/17) | Leeds Festival (25/8/17)

Last edited by Jobby; 17-03-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Jobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #2220
fabripav
Funniest Muser 2012
 
fabripav's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 October 2010
Age: 25
Last.fm icon Twitter icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
prop
interesting freudian slip
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiT View Post
" Did you ever struggle in lessons at school and then feel annoyed at the kid next to you who was absolutely nailing everything?" - I was the one who nailed everything.
fabripav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
am true muse fan , bitten by drones , dick down , dig down for fabri , dig down is good :) , gucci gang 2 , i miss guiding light , madness 3.0 , muse is dead pop is dead , ughhhh


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What songs do you want to there to be on the next live album? Man With A Harmonica Songs & Releases 14 13-07-2016 05:51 PM
New U2 Album - Songs of Innocence wildwilly Songs & Releases 5 11-09-2014 07:40 AM
Will you listen to new songs from the 7th album? mattestro. Songs & Releases 5 03-10-2012 01:34 AM
Songs similar to next album... You.Make.Me.Sick Songs & Releases 69 25-05-2012 02:32 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)