Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse > Songs & Releases

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #76
Tjet
Most Annoying Muser 2011, 2015
Sluttiest Muser 2012
Sexiest Male Muser 2013
 
Tjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 25 December 2008
Age: 26
Facebook icon Tumblr icon
How does Isolated System sound even remotely like Distance?
__________________
Tjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #77
fabripav
Funniest Muser 2012
 
fabripav's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 October 2010
Age: 25
Last.fm icon Twitter icon
"we'll agree to disagree" more like "I'm wrong and I don't want to admit it"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiT View Post
" Did you ever struggle in lessons at school and then feel annoyed at the kid next to you who was absolutely nailing everything?" - I was the one who nailed everything.
fabripav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #78
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 30
Facebook icon SoundCloud icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopix View Post
We'll agree to disagree.
No, as the misrepresentation of it played a significant role in its appropriation and the subsequent whitewashing and hyped-up masculinity that led to what we refer to as "Brostep".
This left an entire scene having to disassociate themselves from something they created because it had become toxic in order to easily sell it to a particular demographic.
But lets ignore all of that because you think there's a passing similarity with Distance, who's output varies enough that its difficult to tell what you're actually claiming it to sound like.
__________________
Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
stuff on spotify
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #79
Hopix
Member
 
Hopix's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 March 2008
Location: Sol
Age: 25
The similarity with Dupstep and Isolated system is pretty much only the bass element of the song, and that's where it ends, I'm not saying it's the same genre or anything. I said it was reminiscent to artists like Distance because of this bass element alone, I didn't mean it was similar in any other aspect.

I used Distance because it's the only traditional Dupstep artist I know, I'm not even that into the genre, especially not the mainstream strain of Brostep. If you think my limited knowledge on the genre should dictate whether or not I can talk about it and compare it to other stuff, then just lol.

And that's a pretty interesting backstory, but I'll stick by using the term Brostep, because its a handy way of determining stylistic differences. It's political "controversy" doesn't seam anywhere near significant enough to stop using it.
__________________
Proud fan of Unintended, Screenager, Soldier's Poem, Invincible, .

"The Resistance of the happy majority of Muse fans - With less grey hair"
Hopix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #80
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 30
Facebook icon SoundCloud icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopix View Post
The similarity with Dupstep and Isolated system is pretty much only the bass element of the song, and that's where it ends, I'm not saying it's the same genre or anything. I said it was reminiscent to artists like Distance because of this bass element alone, I didn't mean it was similar in any other aspect.

I used Distance because it's the only traditional Dupstep artist I know, I'm not even that into the genre, especially not the mainstream strain of Brostep. If you think my limited knowledge on the genre should dictate whether or not I can talk about it and compare it to other stuff, then just lol.

And that's a pretty interesting backstory, but I'll stick by using the term Brostep, because its a handy way of determining stylistic differences. It's political "controversy" doesn't seam anywhere near significant enough to stop using it.
Then why not say that then? Then we could mention how wobble bass is far from exclusive to Dubstep and used in pretty much all dance genres, although the rewriting of history that occurred by others when Dubstep took off to turn Flat-Beat into proto-Dubstep was fucking hilarious.

I didn't say you couldn't talk about the genre, but its pretty arrogant to think you can say what is and what isn't to people who've been listening to it for around 10 years. If you want to know more about it, then check out the Dubstep Allstars mix series (The first one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGOdbP5L-JA), as its best listened to in that context rather than individual producers as its about the atmosphere it creates and you'd see how different DJs emphasise different aspects, like Hatcha uses a lot of wobbly bass, Kode9 who did the third one and if I remember correctly, didn't feature much at all. There is a Distance one, with more of an industrial feel and just really dark.

And the socio-political aspect is why that stuff should be referred to as "Brostep". Plus really its just 80's hair metal made with NI Massive.
__________________
Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
stuff on spotify

Last edited by haze015; 10-12-2016 at 05:42 PM.
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #81
Tjet
Most Annoying Muser 2011, 2015
Sluttiest Muser 2012
Sexiest Male Muser 2013
 
Tjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 25 December 2008
Age: 26
Facebook icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopix View Post
The similarity with Dupstep and Isolated system is pretty much only the bass element of the song, and that's where it ends, I'm not saying it's the same genre or anything. I said it was reminiscent to artists like Distance because of this bass element alone, I didn't mean it was similar in any other aspect.

I used Distance because it's the only traditional Dupstep artist I know, I'm not even that into the genre, especially not the mainstream strain of Brostep. If you think my limited knowledge on the genre should dictate whether or not I can talk about it and compare it to other stuff, then just lol.
But how is the bass similar to the works of for example Distance?

And it seems you didn't actually bother to read or try to understand what Haze said. He said that Distance has quite a varied output, so saying it sounds like Distance doesn't really mean anything. It's not a comparison unless you specify. Does Isolated System sound like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugabf04Lx2A


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopix View Post
And that's a pretty interesting backstory, but I'll stick by using the term Brostep, because its a handy way of determining stylistic differences. It's political "controversy" doesn't seam anywhere near significant enough to stop using it.
You should probably read haze's post again, because that was never the point.
__________________
Tjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #82
TheHappySpaceman
Member
 
Join Date: 14 April 2013
You Tube icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabripav View Post
"we'll agree to disagree" more like "I'm wrong and I don't want to admit it"
This board in a nutshell.

__________________
2010/10/27 John Paul Jones Arena, Charlottesville, VA
2013/09/11 Verizon Center, Washington, D.C.
2016/02/01 Verizon Center, Washington, D.C.
TheHappySpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #83
Hopix
Member
 
Hopix's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 March 2008
Location: Sol
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
Then why not say that then? Then we could mention how wobble bass is far from exclusive to Dubstep and used in pretty much all dance genres, although the rewriting of history that occurred by others when Dubstep took off to turn Flat-Beat into proto-Dubstep was fucking hilarious.

I didn't say you couldn't talk about the genre, but its pretty arrogant to think you can say what is and what isn't to people who've been listening to it for around 10 years. If you want to know more about it, then check out the Dubstep Allstars mix series (The first one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGOdbP5L-JA), as its best listened to in that context rather than individual producers as its about the atmosphere it creates and you'd see how different DJs emphasise different aspects, like Hatcha uses a lot of wobbly bass, Kode9 who did the third one and if I remember correctly, didn't feature much at all. There is a Distance one, with more of an industrial feel and just really dark.

And the socio-political aspect is why that stuff should be referred to as "Brostep". Plus really its just 80's hair metal made with NI Massive.
I am specifying it now, because apparently comparing the two things vaguely was quite controversial.

I don't want to be the jurisdiction on what is and what isn't, I was just giving my opinion...

Regardless I will check out the link you gave to gain more of an insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjet View Post
But how is the bass similar to the works of for example Distance?

And it seems you didn't actually bother to read or try to understand what Haze said. He said that Distance has quite a varied output, so saying it sounds like Distance doesn't really mean anything. It's not a comparison unless you specify. Does Isolated System sound like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugabf04Lx2A


You should probably read haze's post again, because that was never the point.
The wobbles in the song you gave actually do remind me of the wobbles in IS, yes. Shock horror I know. I'm aware that this sort of effect is used in a ton of genres, but I'm not all that familiar with electronic stuff generally, so hence the comparison I made.

And I'm glad that was not the point Haze was making.
__________________
Proud fan of Unintended, Screenager, Soldier's Poem, Invincible, .

"The Resistance of the happy majority of Muse fans - With less grey hair"
Hopix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:51 PM   #84
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 30
Facebook icon SoundCloud icon
Whilst it may seem pointless as its just electronic music to dance or get messed up to, genres in dance music can mean far more than just a few musical aspects and sounds, although this is true in general. There's history, culture, politics involved, not just in general, but also within scenes (Techno, as defined by Juan Atkins, was a reaction to House/NY Garage music for example).
Plus each genre is meant to create a specific atmosphere and often within a particular environment, like typically meant to be played on a large sound system and then there's the size and type of venue - "Big Room" or there is The KLF's pisstake "Stadium House" for The White Room.

So whilst it may not seem controversial to compare two songs, it can easily be, as we're discussing a genre (Dance music in general) that its roots in LGBT+, POC and working class culture, that has a strong DIY and counter-culture ethic ingrained into it.
But it has entered the mainstream and its complicated to say the least. Techno did become a toxic word in the early 90's, at least in the UK, as what went into the mainstream under that label had little to do with the underground sound - Seriously check out Juan Atkins, was a huge influence on Aphex Twin for example. Trance went through the same. House has always celebrated pop, so comes in and out of mainstream attention.
House and Garage refer to specific clubs, although it should be pointed out that Garage, the stuff that came out of The Garage in New York and I think is similar to early House (I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of House, so hardly the most knowledgable) is different to the 90's British sound/scene which Dubstep is based on. The British obsession with breaks and non-straight beats was actually partly a reaction to the Tories pushing through a law banning repetitive beats! That actually happened.

All this can easily be more interesting than the music actually.
__________________
Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
stuff on spotify

Last edited by haze015; 12-12-2016 at 10:18 PM.
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:32 PM   #85
Clunge
Vagina Doom
 
Clunge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 September 2004
Age: 28
Nope, it is incomprehensibly dull, tedious and inane.
__________________

19/12/04 | 22/08/06 | 11/11/06 | 16/06/07 | 12/04/08 | 05/09/09 | 13/09/09 | 28/08/11 | 27/10/12 | 23/03/15 | 13/06/15 | 15/04/16
Clunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:53 PM   #86
fabripav
Funniest Muser 2012
 
fabripav's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 October 2010
Age: 25
Last.fm icon Twitter icon
I disagree.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiT View Post
" Did you ever struggle in lessons at school and then feel annoyed at the kid next to you who was absolutely nailing everything?" - I was the one who nailed everything.
fabripav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 12:41 AM   #87
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 30
Facebook icon SoundCloud icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunge View Post
Nope, it is incomprehensibly dull, tedious and inane.
Yup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrduRe7pVhg

__________________
Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
stuff on spotify

Last edited by haze015; 13-12-2016 at 12:52 AM.
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #88
Hopix
Member
 
Hopix's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 March 2008
Location: Sol
Age: 25
For me the music is paramount. I am interested in the backstory or the scene to an extent but it does not take precedent over the actual sound. When I compare two pieces of music, I'm comparing the music only, unless stated otherwise.
__________________
Proud fan of Unintended, Screenager, Soldier's Poem, Invincible, .

"The Resistance of the happy majority of Muse fans - With less grey hair"
Hopix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #89
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 30
Facebook icon SoundCloud icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopix View Post
For me the music is paramount. I am interested in the backstory or the scene to an extent but it does not take precedent over the actual sound. When I compare two pieces of music, I'm comparing the music only, unless stated otherwise.
That's obvious. Just making the point that there's often more to genres than just the sound. But it should never be more important than the music itself.
With this area of music, you could listen to tracks produced in 1988 in Chicago and Detroit and in all honesty, sound very similar, but get the genre wrong and all hell breaks lose! And it is all down to that other side, which isn't always obvious just from the sound.


Anyway, to get back on track, Muse are at their least interesting when their songs are easily identifiable as a particular genre, they are at their best when they mix things up within the songs and actually been quite influential through that.
__________________
Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
stuff on spotify
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #90
Tuck Norris 85
Member
 
Join Date: 01 November 2015
Location: Kings Lynn, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabripav View Post
I disagree.
I agree.
Tuck Norris 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
am true muse fan , dick down , dig down for fabri , dig down is good :) , i miss guiding light , madness 3.0 , muse is dead pop is dead , ughhhh


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What songs do you want to there to be on the next live album? Man With A Harmonica Songs & Releases 14 13-07-2016 06:51 PM
New U2 Album - Songs of Innocence wildwilly Songs & Releases 5 11-09-2014 08:40 AM
Will you listen to new songs from the 7th album? mattestro. Songs & Releases 5 03-10-2012 02:34 AM
Songs similar to next album... You.Make.Me.Sick Songs & Releases 69 25-05-2012 03:32 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)