Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse Incl. Off Topic > Kit & Tab

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 15-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #4186
Jaicen
Member
 
Jaicen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 January 2005
Location: Sheffield
Age: 35
Not sure I have an opinion either way, though the sunburst is quite nice. I paid about that for my e6 though, I'm sure it's not as good as that?
__________________
Hoping for sun, expecting the rain.
Jaicen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 05:12 AM   #4187
james90
boring_moderator
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaicen View Post
Not sure I have an opinion either way, though the sunburst is quite nice. I paid about that for my e6 though, I'm sure it's not as good as that?
As nice as an E6 or your E6? It's sort of like how Bs' MB-1 is better than all of the other ones.

But no, I wouldn't say it's as good, but it's a completely different guitar. I usually wouldn't agree with the whole "LP killer" comment, as only a gibson is good enough (right??) and it's usually just to hype everything up, but it's surprising really.

The only reason they're so expensive is because of QOTSA... apparently he got his first one for $200 or something like that in 1991, and the other two for $700 several years later.

http://www.junkguitars.com/stories/ovation.html

Good read about these.
__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
8 May 2015 - Webster Hall
27 January 2016 - Barclays Center
29 January 2016 - Prudential Center
22 July 2017 - Jones Beach
24 July 2017 - Central Park
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #4188
Stocking
Member
 
Join Date: 19 December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
https://reverb.com/item/3939737-ovat...uss-josh-homme

...fuck. That's one of the black ones!

I paid less than that for Josh's old one... must resist...
My friend paid about 200 for the Eastwood Ultra GP model. He recently sold it because he used his LP more, and went and bought a Wampler Pinnacle and also some Gretsch guitar. I can't say I like the model he got MORE but it certainly is nice as fuck.

I had actually no idea Ovation made that model/style, that's bonkers lol.
Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 03:31 AM   #4189
Cider
Member
 
Cider's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 November 2015
Location: Northern California
Age: 23
What do you guys think of this? http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...line-up-646926

I quite like the S Series LP Custom Special.

Crazy to think that the cheapest guitar in Gibson lineup will start at $399 though.
Cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 03:57 AM   #4190
Stocking
Member
 
Join Date: 19 December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider View Post
What do you guys think of this? http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...line-up-646926

I quite like the S Series LP Custom Special.

Crazy to think that the cheapest guitar in Gibson lineup will start at $399 though.
The M2 models already are cheap as heck too, wow. I'm gonna try to definitely pick up Gibson models then. Hopefully a Les Paul in a blue finish and a Firebird in a red or blue finish.

The only problem is I know for sure that they wont put great pickups in them (easily fixable) and I'm iffy about wiring and electronics (also easy fix). Maybe limited finish options? but for 399 who can really complain lol.
Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 04:51 AM   #4191
james90
boring_moderator
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocking View Post
My friend paid about 200 for the Eastwood Ultra GP model. He recently sold it because he used his LP more, and went and bought a Wampler Pinnacle and also some Gretsch guitar. I can't say I like the model he got MORE but it certainly is nice as fuck.

I had actually no idea Ovation made that model/style, that's bonkers lol.
That's what the eastwood is a replica of - there were only around 400 of the originals in 1984. Ovation appeared to be working on a reissue last year, but I don't think anything became of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider View Post
What do you guys think of this? http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...line-up-646926

I quite like the S Series LP Custom Special.

Crazy to think that the cheapest guitar in Gibson lineup will start at $399 though.
I'd imagine you're paying for the name and not a whole lot else. Even if you get all of it for that price:

__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
8 May 2015 - Webster Hall
27 January 2016 - Barclays Center
29 January 2016 - Prudential Center
22 July 2017 - Jones Beach
24 July 2017 - Central Park
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #4192
Stocking
Member
 
Join Date: 19 December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
That's what the eastwood is a replica of - there were only around 400 of the originals in 1984. Ovation appeared to be working on a reissue last year, but I don't think anything became of it.
I had no idea, not even kidding. I don't like the Ovation headstock but fuck if the sound is like the GP and Josh in general can't deny it in the slightest. looks hype as heck.



Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
I'd imagine you're paying for the name and not a whole lot else. Even if you get all of it for that price:

I'm sure as well. To be honest, for 599/699 I'd rather get a faded model or something or just go a little higher and get a trans blue used gibson somewhere, imo.
Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #4193
james90
boring_moderator
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocking View Post
I had no idea, not even kidding. I don't like the Ovation headstock but fuck if the sound is like the GP and Josh in general can't deny it in the slightest. looks hype as heck.




I'm sure as well. To be honest, for 599/699 I'd rather get a faded model or something or just go a little higher and get a trans blue used gibson somewhere, imo.

Yeah, though somehow I think it works with that shape. I have no experience with the eastwood, but the original one is definitely a big part of the earlier sound.

I did this with the other one. Mind, it was going through an identical setup (although more what he used for LTP) but still



And I recall they were doing a charcoal finish thin line LP of some sort. I can't remember what it was called, but it was fairly recent. I think it was in the $600 range. Seemed interesting
__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
8 May 2015 - Webster Hall
27 January 2016 - Barclays Center
29 January 2016 - Prudential Center
22 July 2017 - Jones Beach
24 July 2017 - Central Park
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #4194
nerd herd
mince pie
 
nerd herd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 December 2013
Age: 24
Raised the height of my sustainiac since I lowered it too much a while ago which made it really weak, and now the driver is loose. It's as if there's nothing pushing it up away from the body. It still works fine, but the wobbling is a little worrying. Any advice on how to sort that?

Last edited by nerd herd; 17-01-2017 at 03:58 PM.
nerd herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #4195
james90
boring_moderator
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd herd View Post
Raised the height of my sustainiac since I lowered it too much a while ago which made it really weak, and now the driver is loose. It's as if there's nothing pushing it up away from the body. It still works fine, but the wobbling is a little worrying. Any advice on how to sort that?
You'll need to add a bit of that foam material underneath. Sounds like it compressed or something when you lowered it.
__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
8 May 2015 - Webster Hall
27 January 2016 - Barclays Center
29 January 2016 - Prudential Center
22 July 2017 - Jones Beach
24 July 2017 - Central Park
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #4196
Jaicen
Member
 
Jaicen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 January 2005
Location: Sheffield
Age: 35
I have a theory, unproven of course, that the sustainer would perform better if it had a rigid fixing to the body using a wooden shim or suchlike. Given that it's driving the strings, it's likely to cause a reaction force that wants to push and pull it away from the body. I've noted that this occurs in the homebrew experiments I've done, so no reason to think it doesn't occur with the commercial units too.

tl/dr: try fixing it with a wooden shim instead of foam.
__________________
Hoping for sun, expecting the rain.
Jaicen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #4197
Cider
Member
 
Cider's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 November 2015
Location: Northern California
Age: 23
James, looks like the bass got through the wood police! Should be getting here tomorrow or so. That was a close one though, would not recommend

Ordered a Whammy V from Ebay, seller sent me 2 and didn't know it . Returning the extra one to them today. Couldn't bring myself to keep it & rip them off

Now that I have the Whammy, how do I Fury?
Cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #4198
nerd herd
mince pie
 
nerd herd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 December 2013
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
You'll need to add a bit of that foam material underneath. Sounds like it compressed or something when you lowered it.
This worked, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaicen View Post
I have a theory, unproven of course, that the sustainer would perform better if it had a rigid fixing to the body using a wooden shim or suchlike. Given that it's driving the strings, it's likely to cause a reaction force that wants to push and pull it away from the body. I've noted that this occurs in the homebrew experiments I've done, so no reason to think it doesn't occur with the commercial units too.

tl/dr: try fixing it with a wooden shim instead of foam.
That would make sense, might try that if/when I take the sustainer out again. Have you built your own one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider View Post
Ordered a Whammy V from Ebay, seller sent me 2 and didn't know it . Returning the extra one to them today. Couldn't bring myself to keep it & rip them off

Now that I have the Whammy, how do I Fury?
How does the wooly mammoth work with the whammy? The fuzz factory sounds shit with it.

+-1 octave harmony and some delay for fury.
nerd herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #4199
james90
boring_moderator
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider View Post
James, looks like the bass got through the wood police! Should be getting here tomorrow or so. That was a close one though, would not recommend

Ordered a Whammy V from Ebay, seller sent me 2 and didn't know it . Returning the extra one to them today. Couldn't bring myself to keep it & rip them off

Now that I have the Whammy, how do I Fury?
Why, did they delay it at all? The wood police came after me yesterday. Need to submit some forms today.

The question is why he had two to begin with



Unless he's a dealer that is...
__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
8 May 2015 - Webster Hall
27 January 2016 - Barclays Center
29 January 2016 - Prudential Center
22 July 2017 - Jones Beach
24 July 2017 - Central Park
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 03:01 PM   #4200
Cider
Member
 
Cider's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 November 2015
Location: Northern California
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd herd View Post
How does the wooly mammoth work with the whammy? The fuzz factory sounds shit with it.

+-1 octave harmony and some delay for fury.
Thank you!
Haven't tried the mammoth with whammy, I'll do it later today.
For the +- octave, when do I press my foot? And do I bring my heel back all the way? I never used this type of pedal before so I have no idea Also what should the amp setting be?

Quote:
Why, did they delay it at all? The wood police came after me yesterday. Need to submit some forms today.

The question is why he had two to begin with
Aw, that sucks He's a dealer, yeah, so I'm guessing it's a mis-ship.
Cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
@dickmovedom , another manson thread , chunky trannies , dom's hayden got sold , guacamole , my hayden got sold , nando's , p90 , prince charles , qotsa thread , royal blood , royale with blood


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 11 (0 members and 11 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The infamous 4 chords... Miggster Songs & Releases 28 26-05-2015 09:36 AM
General Gear & Tab III: We know nothing cos we tweeted Dom from the band Muse Neil. Kit & Tab 9909 09-02-2015 10:03 PM
Plug in Baby chorus chords SwiftSampson Kit & Tab 3 02-11-2014 02:46 PM
Can somebody do a super-quick tab of this? (Two chords) Anxyous Kit & Tab 4 23-10-2010 10:28 AM
H.A.A.R.P Feeling Good- Intro chords grabacr 31770 Kit & Tab 3 26-05-2010 05:36 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)