Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse Incl. Off Topic > Kit & Tab

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Tyger16
Member
 
Join Date: 02 August 2011
Blackstar HT-5 Cab Suggestions

So I've decided I want a Blackstar HT-5 because of the low wattage, making it easy to get a nice tone at low volumes. However, I also intend to use it whilst gigging. For this (due to not always having a fantastic monitor mix) I reckon I'll need a cab, so I can hear some of my guitar signal at it's source as well as my monitor mix.
I play small/medium sized venues but in all cases, the stage is cramped. Therefore, to avoid my amp sound bleeding into mics and such like, it can't be too powerful a cab.
I was thinking of just getting Blackstar's HTV-112 cab, which has an output of 80w. Is this too much? too little? or not the best cab at all?
On a side note, ease of transportation would also be useful. IE the smaller/ligther I can get away with, the better.
Tyger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Dominic.
Member
 
Dominic.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 31 January 2008
Age: 24
Rusty Phil knows about Blackstar's and stuff, when's he gonna come back

getting an external cab for a HT 5 (especially one rated for 80w) is fairly pointless, as it's not going to be that much "louder", and if you are getting a monitor mix, then whats the problem?Using a 5 watt amp for gigging medium sized venues isnt really advisable anyway especially in the event that the venue dont mic up the amps.

I'm so clever
__________________
enit
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
Eb--0--3--0--5--0--2--0--0--3--0

(short pause)

Eb--6--6

Last edited by Dominic.; 09-08-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Dominic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
james90
boring_moderator
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger16 View Post
So I've decided I want a Blackstar HT-5 because of the low wattage, making it easy to get a nice tone at low volumes. However, I also intend to use it whilst gigging. For this (due to not always having a fantastic monitor mix) I reckon I'll need a cab, so I can hear some of my guitar signal at it's source as well as my monitor mix.
I play small/medium sized venues but in all cases, the stage is cramped. Therefore, to avoid my amp sound bleeding into mics and such like, it can't be too powerful a cab.
I was thinking of just getting Blackstar's HTV-112 cab, which has an output of 80w. Is this too much? too little? or not the best cab at all?
On a side note, ease of transportation would also be useful. IE the smaller/ligther I can get away with, the better.
the 80 watts is just the power handling of the cab. This just means you can use any amp up to 80 watts with it (though I wouldn't recommend using an amp more than 60 watts, as they do put out more power when cranked)

I'd go with the matching cab as long as it sounds good to you.
__________________
6 August 2007 | 5 March 2010 | 23 October 2010 | 15 April 2013 | 16 April 2013 | 25 May 2013 | 26 May 2013 | 8 May 2015 | 27 January 2016 | 29 January 2016 | 22 July 2017 | 24 July 2017 | 6 December 2018 | 2 April 2019 | 8 April 2019
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Tyger16
Member
 
Join Date: 02 August 2011
what kinda output can i expect from it then? Like volume wise.
Tyger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
james90
boring_moderator
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger16 View Post
what kinda output can i expect from it then? Like volume wise.
Whatever the amp puts out.

That's going to depend more on the amp than the speakers really. Of course there will be a bit of a difference between a 1x12 and 4x12, but if we're just talking about 1x12 cabs, then you won't really hear much of a volume difference between them

Of course, there will be a tone difference if you have different speakers and even the construction of the cab, but in other words... if you took the HT-5, A/B'd it through two different 1x12 cabs, there really wouldn't be much of a volume difference.
__________________
6 August 2007 | 5 March 2010 | 23 October 2010 | 15 April 2013 | 16 April 2013 | 25 May 2013 | 26 May 2013 | 8 May 2015 | 27 January 2016 | 29 January 2016 | 22 July 2017 | 24 July 2017 | 6 December 2018 | 2 April 2019 | 8 April 2019
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
Don'tPostThePear
aka. Dániel /accents ftw/
 
Don'tPostThePear's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 May 2009
Location: Hungary
Age: 29
According to some sources and i think i experienced this too, getting a lower rated speaker like 25-50w for your 5w amp would be better.
__________________
HARIBO
Don'tPostThePear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Tyger16
Member
 
Join Date: 02 August 2011
so what can I do to boost the volume of my amp?
Tyger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
JimboMansonMB-1
Genuine Texas Mojo
 
JimboMansonMB-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 March 2010
Location: tennessee
Age: 24
Get a bigger amp
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie™ View Post
Nice one... but dont you have enough jazzmasters?

LOLNOPE
JimboMansonMB-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
Tyger16
Member
 
Join Date: 02 August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboMansonMB-1 View Post
Get a bigger amp
and what would you suggest? Bigger amps that have a good sound cost a lot more money:/ And ive not got a whole lot to spend :/
Tyger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Tom!
72.8% water
 
Tom!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 October 2006
Location: Lincoln, UK
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Tom!
Facebook icon Twitter icon Xbox Live icon SoundCloud icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger16 View Post
so what can I do to boost the volume of my amp?
Mic the amp when you play live?
__________________
04/11/2009 - Sheffield Arena
04/09/2010 - Manchester CCC
26/08/2011 - Leeds Festival
01/11/2012 - MEN Arena
01/06/2013 - Etihad Statidum

Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
Just was playing that guitar, and i think a pickup change is in order. you know something's wrong when a guitar makes an OR120 sound as thin as green screen kid looks...
Tom! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
Tyger16
Member
 
Join Date: 02 August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom! View Post
Mic the amp when you play live?
but then you rely pretty much entirely on your monitor mix and quite often whoever is doing the sound makes an arse of it.
Could you not do something like run a power amp in between the head and cab? or would that mess about with the gain of the signal?
Tyger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
Tom!
72.8% water
 
Tom!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 October 2006
Location: Lincoln, UK
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Tom!
Facebook icon Twitter icon Xbox Live icon SoundCloud icon
DO NOT DO THAT!
__________________
04/11/2009 - Sheffield Arena
04/09/2010 - Manchester CCC
26/08/2011 - Leeds Festival
01/11/2012 - MEN Arena
01/06/2013 - Etihad Statidum

Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
Just was playing that guitar, and i think a pickup change is in order. you know something's wrong when a guitar makes an OR120 sound as thin as green screen kid looks...
Tom! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
JimboMansonMB-1
Genuine Texas Mojo
 
JimboMansonMB-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 March 2010
Location: tennessee
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger16 View Post
and what would you suggest? Bigger amps that have a good sound cost a lot more money:/ And ive not got a whole lot to spend :/
Well, if you like the sound of the Blackstar HT-5 but want a louder amp, why not look at some bigger Blackstar amps? They make them in 15w, 20w, 30w, etc, all of which will be more powerful and therefore louder than the HT-5.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie™ View Post
Nice one... but dont you have enough jazzmasters?

LOLNOPE
JimboMansonMB-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
Tyger16
Member
 
Join Date: 02 August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboMansonMB-1 View Post
Well, if you like the sound of the Blackstar HT-5 but want a louder amp, why not look at some bigger Blackstar amps? They make them in 15w, 20w, 30w, etc, all of which will be more powerful and therefore louder than the HT-5.
I was looking at the Blackstar HT-20 but it costs £450. Seems a lot for a relatively low wattage amp. How would it be for gigging do you think?
Tyger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #15
JimboMansonMB-1
Genuine Texas Mojo
 
JimboMansonMB-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 March 2010
Location: tennessee
Age: 24
Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than 5w. My AC30 is damn loud, I don't know if that's solely to the wattage, but if so, 20w should be fine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie™ View Post
Nice one... but dont you have enough jazzmasters?

LOLNOPE
JimboMansonMB-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Profile Suggestions Larry. Muse.mu Support 0 11-04-2011 11:41 AM
Any Suggestions? joel15243 Other Muse Topics 1 15-01-2011 09:34 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)