Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse > Songs & Releases

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 21-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #2746
Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut
Member
 
Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 February 2015
Location: Cydonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
Tbh I donít really see/hear BH&R 2. Seems v rooted in being accessible, whether itís pop or rock, no sniff of any prog and iirc Matt confirmed that was the case in that Zane Lowe interview a few months ago. I feel more links to T2L if we have to connect any dots, in fact I think Matt mightíve directly compared it to that in the same interview.
Yeah I'm definitely hearing a T2L comparison in the info so far. I'm not gonna say that's a good thing, but after Drones, I actually welcome taking another crack at that sort of idea.


Just leave out Follow Me and Usustainable this time.
__________________
The Cydonian Rhapsody of Rocinante
Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #2747
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 22
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
So, looking at past album releases and what Matt’s said recently, I’m wondering if this is what a v rough roadmap to release looks like:

August - Something Human (Acoustic), maybe as a lyric video on YT

September - Album title, artwork, tracklist, pre-orders + this electro rock Map song as a pre-order bonus

October - Pressure released as last single, small gigs announced

November - Album release, US tour dates announced

Still find it strange that they don’t have a tour to immediately jump into once the album’s out...and only ‘a couple’ of small gigs? Even if you assume Matt’s underestimating and it’s something more Psycho tour sized, that still seems like a kinda barren gigging window until spring.
__________________
Manchester (4.9.10) | Leeds (28.8.11) | Manchester (1.6.13) | Manchester (22.3.15) / Derby (13.6.15) / Manchester (9.4.16) / London (11.4.16) / London (12.4.16)
London (14.4.16) / London (15.4.16) / Paris (28.6.16)
| London (19.8.17) / Belfast (23.8.17) / Leeds (25.8.17) | London (3.12.18) / Prague (26.5.19) / London (1.6.19)
Bristol (5.6.19) / Manchester (8.6.19)

Last edited by Jobby; 21-07-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #2748
That Little Animal
Sexiest Male Muser of 2006 & 2005
 
That Little Animal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 May 2003
Location: A little to the left, yeah, there... That's right.
Age: 37
Facebook icon Flickr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby View Post

Still find it strange that they donít have a tour to immediately jump into once the albumís out...
Maybe they want to take their time and make sure all the props and gimmicks work properly before planning the big tour this time.
__________________
Pop a Gandalf
That Little Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #2749
MartianSpaghettiRider
Member
 
MartianSpaghettiRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 January 2015
Location: Italy
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
Tbh I donít really see/hear BH&R 2. Seems v rooted in being accessible, whether itís pop or rock, no sniff of any prog and iirc Matt confirmed that was the case in that Zane Lowe interview a few months ago. I feel more links to T2L if we have to connect any dots, in fact I think Matt mightíve directly compared it to that in the same interview.
BHAR isn't exactly prog, either, apart from Hoodoo, KoC and TaB, and has a lot of accessible songs.
__________________
You've got the Readers and Books, babe... Now I am literalized!
MartianSpaghettiRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #2750
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 22
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianSpaghettiRider View Post
BHAR isn't exactly prog, either, apart from Hoodoo, KoC and TaB, and has a lot of accessible songs.
Prog’s a broad term but Knights, Hoodoo, TAB, Invincible, Map, COD and Assassin could all fall under it’s umbrella, which is 7/11 tracks. It’s reasonable to say it’s a significant enough thread through the album imo and, from what we know so far, won’t be on this one.
__________________
Manchester (4.9.10) | Leeds (28.8.11) | Manchester (1.6.13) | Manchester (22.3.15) / Derby (13.6.15) / Manchester (9.4.16) / London (11.4.16) / London (12.4.16)
London (14.4.16) / London (15.4.16) / Paris (28.6.16)
| London (19.8.17) / Belfast (23.8.17) / Leeds (25.8.17) | London (3.12.18) / Prague (26.5.19) / London (1.6.19)
Bristol (5.6.19) / Manchester (8.6.19)

Last edited by Jobby; 22-07-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #2751
MartianSpaghettiRider
Member
 
MartianSpaghettiRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 January 2015
Location: Italy
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
Progís a broad term but Knights, Hoodoo, TAB, Invincible, Map, COD and Assassin could all fall under itís umbrella, which is 7/11 tracks. Itís reasonable to say itís a significant enough thread through the album imo and, from what we know so far, wonít be on this one.
Because of some sound choices, yeah, but what about structures? BHAR features some of the most structurally conventional or repetitive songs in Muse catalogue, and Starlight, SMBH, MOTP, Invincible, Assassin, Exo-Politics, CoD definitively falls into those families.
Starlight basically repeats itself after the first "Our hopes and expectations..." section with exception of another chorus before it, and has no solo; SMBH it's basically a classic verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-solo-chorus; MOTP repeats its parts exactly in the same sequence with the exception of a double final chorus; Invincible is almost the same as SMBH; Assassin (in its official album version) is the most repetitive of all of them (intro-verse-chorus, rinse and repeat); if Exo-Politics hadn't a solo it would be basically the same as MOTP; For CoD, cue in the same as SMBH.

Talking about unconventional and proggish structures, the Muse albums who features them the most are Showbiz, OOS and... The Resistance. Heck, The Resistance is perhaps the album with the largest amount of unconventional song structures in proportion to its total amount of tracks, and the nearest to old style prog rock regarding influences in sound.
__________________
You've got the Readers and Books, babe... Now I am literalized!
MartianSpaghettiRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #2752
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 22
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Not to shoot down a long response with a short answer but...it’s kinda irrelevant. All I’m saying is that prog is an important part of that album’s DNA, whether it’s ‘sound choices’ in one song or structure in another or both or more/less prevalent here/there, etc. We haven’t got LP8 yet but, by the sound of it, that won’t be the case on this, which is why I don’t really see the comparison.

The only real through line to Black Holes I see atm is maybe some of the light ‘spacey’ elements? Even that’s not really specific to that album, but particularly present I guess.
__________________
Manchester (4.9.10) | Leeds (28.8.11) | Manchester (1.6.13) | Manchester (22.3.15) / Derby (13.6.15) / Manchester (9.4.16) / London (11.4.16) / London (12.4.16)
London (14.4.16) / London (15.4.16) / Paris (28.6.16)
| London (19.8.17) / Belfast (23.8.17) / Leeds (25.8.17) | London (3.12.18) / Prague (26.5.19) / London (1.6.19)
Bristol (5.6.19) / Manchester (8.6.19)
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #2753
Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut
Member
 
Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 February 2015
Location: Cydonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianSpaghettiRider View Post
Because of some sound choices, yeah, but what about structures? BHAR features some of the most structurally conventional or repetitive songs in Muse catalogue, and Starlight, SMBH, MOTP, Invincible, Assassin, Exo-Politics, CoD definitively falls into those families.
Starlight basically repeats itself after the first "Our hopes and expectations..." section with exception of another chorus before it, and has no solo; SMBH it's basically a classic verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-solo-chorus; MOTP repeats its parts exactly in the same sequence with the exception of a double final chorus; Invincible is almost the same as SMBH; Assassin (in its official album version) is the most repetitive of all of them (intro-verse-chorus, rinse and repeat); if Exo-Politics hadn't a solo it would be basically the same as MOTP; For CoD, cue in the same as SMBH.

Talking about unconventional and proggish structures, the Muse albums who features them the most are Showbiz, OOS and... The Resistance. Heck, The Resistance is perhaps the album with the largest amount of unconventional song structures in proportion to its total amount of tracks, and the nearest to old style prog rock regarding influences in sound.
TR is def the proggiest Muse album, for the record. Even Yes don't have a 15 minute space rock symphony.
__________________
The Cydonian Rhapsody of Rocinante
Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #2754
Clunge
Vagina Doom
 
Clunge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 September 2004
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut View Post
TR is def the proggiest Muse album, for the record. Even Yes don't have a 15 minute space rock symphony.
Yes they do, they have multiple - Close To The Edge, The Gates Of Delirium, Tales From Topographic Oceans (in full).

Also, TR Muse's proggiest album? Really? I'd say it's almost their least proggy album. Concept album =/= prog.
__________________
19/12/04 | 22/08/06 | 11/11/06 | 16/06/07 | 12/04/08 | 05/09/09 | 13/09/09 | 28/08/11 | 27/10/12 | 23/03/15 | 13/06/15 | 15/04/16 | 19/08/17
Clunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #2755
Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut
Member
 
Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 February 2015
Location: Cydonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunge View Post
Yes they do, they have multiple - Close To The Edge, The Gates Of Delirium, Tales From Topographic Oceans (in full).

Also, TR Muse's proggiest album? Really? I'd say it's almost their least proggy album. Concept album =/= prog.
Not what I meant by symphony. I meant with an orchestra. Yes were very symphonic, but created that sound with rock instrumentation.

I don't see how anything with USoE, IBTY, and Exogenesis could be considered close to their least proggy album.
__________________
The Cydonian Rhapsody of Rocinante
Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #2756
MartianSpaghettiRider
Member
 
MartianSpaghettiRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 January 2015
Location: Italy
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
Not to shoot down a long response with a short answer but...itís kinda irrelevant. All Iím saying is that prog is an important part of that albumís DNA, whether itís Ďsound choicesí in one song or structure in another or both or more/less prevalent here/there, etc. We havenít got LP8 yet but, by the sound of it, that wonít be the case on this, which is why I donít really see the comparison.

The only real through line to Black Holes I see atm is maybe some of the light Ďspaceyí elements? Even thatís not really specific to that album, but particularly present I guess.
That's the thing: BHAR overall sound is more "spacey" than prog, and while it has some elements that could remind of prog, it doesn't have that many prog influences.
KoC, instead, is indeed influenced by prog-like or filmic compositions and acts, like Rush's 2112.
__________________
You've got the Readers and Books, babe... Now I am literalized!
MartianSpaghettiRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:58 PM   #2757
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 22
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianSpaghettiRider View Post
That's the thing: BHAR overall sound is more "spacey" than prog, and while it has some elements that could remind of prog, it doesn't have that many prog influences.
KoC, instead, is indeed influenced by prog-like or filmic compositions and acts, like Rush's 2112.
I don’t get what you’re digging at BH&R is a bunch of stuff, whether it’s slightly more of one thing or another isn’t what I’m saying. One of its most important elements is prog, which doesn’t sound like it will be the case on this album atm so I don’t see how it could be ‘BH&R 2’ as things stand. It only really seems to share one standout trait with that record from what I can tell and that’s a light tinge of its space rock/pop, which I love but it’s not enough to make it a direct relative imo, considering that’s not even a Black Holes exclusive thing.

Anyway, by all accounts, LP8’s gonna be its own thing and I like that. I drew a comparison to T2L but mainly just for the attitude in their approach, which is what Matt meant as well when he said the same iirc.
__________________
Manchester (4.9.10) | Leeds (28.8.11) | Manchester (1.6.13) | Manchester (22.3.15) / Derby (13.6.15) / Manchester (9.4.16) / London (11.4.16) / London (12.4.16)
London (14.4.16) / London (15.4.16) / Paris (28.6.16)
| London (19.8.17) / Belfast (23.8.17) / Leeds (25.8.17) | London (3.12.18) / Prague (26.5.19) / London (1.6.19)
Bristol (5.6.19) / Manchester (8.6.19)

Last edited by Jobby; 22-07-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 10:38 PM   #2758
Tjet
Most Annoying Muser 2011, 2015
Sluttiest Muser 2012
Sexiest Male Muser 2013
 
Tjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 25 December 2008
Age: 27
Facebook icon
Btw since people were doing it before:

1. Something Human



2. Thought Contagion







3. Dig Down
__________________
Tjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 01:13 AM   #2759
Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut
Member
 
Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 February 2015
Location: Cydonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjet View Post
Btw since people were doing it before:

1. Something Human



2. Thought Contagion







3. Dig Down

same
__________________
The Cydonian Rhapsody of Rocinante
Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 02:00 AM   #2760
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 22
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Also same tbh.

This album is gonna be really good guys, trust.
__________________
Manchester (4.9.10) | Leeds (28.8.11) | Manchester (1.6.13) | Manchester (22.3.15) / Derby (13.6.15) / Manchester (9.4.16) / London (11.4.16) / London (12.4.16)
London (14.4.16) / London (15.4.16) / Paris (28.6.16)
| London (19.8.17) / Belfast (23.8.17) / Leeds (25.8.17) | London (3.12.18) / Prague (26.5.19) / London (1.6.19)
Bristol (5.6.19) / Manchester (8.6.19)
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
acceptable in the 80s , am true muse fan , bitten by drones , dick down , dig down best song , dig down for fabri , dig down graves for muse , dig down is good :) , gucci gang 2 , i miss guiding light , madness 3.0 , muse is dead pop is dead , ughhhh


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What songs do you want to there to be on the next live album? Man With A Harmonica Songs & Releases 14 13-07-2016 06:51 PM
New U2 Album - Songs of Innocence wildwilly Songs & Releases 5 11-09-2014 08:40 AM
Will you listen to new songs from the 7th album? mattestro. Songs & Releases 5 03-10-2012 02:34 AM
Songs similar to next album... You.Make.Me.Sick Songs & Releases 69 25-05-2012 03:32 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)