Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse Incl. Off Topic > Kit & Tab

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #2806
james90
boring_moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
Been in there a bunch of times to kill time.
Any good?

I doubt I'll actually buy anything like an old guitar or amp, but maybe a pedal or something like that (especially if they have some weird old ones that I can try)

Any suggestions for other shops in the area? I'm familiar enough with the ones on Denmark Street, so besides those (which I'm sure I'll go to anyway)
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
8 May 2015 - Webster Hall
27 January 2016 - Barclays Center
29 January 2016 - Prudential Center
22 July 2017 - Jones Beach
24 July 2017 - Central Park
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #2807
nerd herd
mince pie

Thanks chaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroon View Post
Well sir having purchased an AC30C2 recently I can not recommend it highly enough. Its master volume makes it good to get a nice dirty tone at low volumes. But its a strictly 12 noon-7pm kinda amp in a bedroom environment

The tone is absolutely beautiful, and I'm yet to properly crank it outside the house other than when I was testing it from the seller. One thing is for sure though, if you ever need to it could blow the roof off most small venues. I'm very very glad I bought it, even in a bedroom setting for now.
Nice. I'll probably go for the AC15 to increase the 7 hour bedroom playing time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarJov View Post
I would recommend the AC15C1 also, although I have to admit humbuckers make mine break up a little too early for my liking, single coils are a lot nicer I think.
The almost breaking up sort of sound is kind of what I'm after, so that sounds ideal.
nerd herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #2808
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!

Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Facebook icon SoundCloud icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
Any good?

I doubt I'll actually buy anything like an old guitar or amp, but maybe a pedal or something like that (especially if they have some weird old ones that I can try)

Any suggestions for other shops in the area? I'm familiar enough with the ones on Denmark Street, so besides those (which I'm sure I'll go to anyway)
There aren't really, just smaller ones that are good for accessories, but definitely not worth visiting if you're travelling from the USA!

Its worth a visit if you're looking to head to that part of London.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #2809
Fish Luke

Send a message via MSN to Fish Luke Send a message via Skype™ to Fish Luke
Facebook icon Last.fm icon Xbox Live icon You Tube icon
Just got a Marshall SL5 to replace the Vox AC4C1-12.

Managed to get dial in some good Matt-ish tones using Fuzz Head (and FF) through clean channel but couldn't manage to get the overdrive channel to sound good (with or without pedals). The amp has proper channel EQ, prescence and reverb unlike the Vox.

Anybody know if Matt uses Fuzz Head much as a general distortion or if he just relies on amp distortion still? I'm talking about chords as well as riffs.

I know he at least used to use a cranked DSL 100 which perhaps I could get something similar out of the SL5. Same for the Diezel but I imagine I wouldn't be able to get near that.
Wembley Stadium - 11/09/10
O2 Arena - 27/10/12
Emirates Stadium - 25/05/13
Brighton Dome - 23/03/15
O2 Arena - 11/04/16
Fish Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #2810
james90
boring_moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Luke View Post
Just got a Marshall SL5 to replace the Vox AC4C1-12.

Managed to get dial in some good Matt-ish tones using Fuzz Head (and FF) through clean channel but couldn't manage to get the overdrive channel to sound good (with or without pedals). The amp has proper channel EQ, prescence and reverb unlike the Vox.

Anybody know if Matt uses Fuzz Head much as a general distortion or if he just relies on amp distortion still? I'm talking about chords as well as riffs.

I know he at least used to use a cranked DSL 100 which perhaps I could get something similar out of the SL5. Same for the Diezel but I imagine I wouldn't be able to get near that.
Does it actually sound bad on its own? If the SL5 is anything like Slash's tone, then it's a bit different from your usual Marshall type sound.

I don't think he ever used the fuzz head for guitar, but as a distortion for the synths on the kaoss pad rather. I've had one in the past, and with the KP2, it sounds identical to his synth effects... with guitar, it's much more of a vintage fuzz tone.

It's always been amp distortion as far as I'm aware, except for SMBH and a few other bits, which are DI'd fuzz factory...there's plug in baby as well, which is mostly fuzz factory, but the one in his guitar.

Right now I think his main sound is some of his favorite amps profiled onto the kemper - either channel 3 of the Diezel VH4, or his Marshall 1959HW (or both)... there's probably an AC30 in there somewhere too.

You might be able to get close to the DSL sound I guess. I know Jaicen likes his DSL15 (so much that he's selling it for someone else to enjoy the Muse tone)

And for what it's worth, I think a lot of his recorded tone is AC30.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #2811
Fish Luke

Quote:
Does it actually sound bad on its own? If the SL5 is anything like Slash's tone, then it's a bit different from your usual Marshall type sound.

I don't think he ever used the fuzz head for guitar, but as a distortion for the synths on the kaoss pad rather. I've had one in the past, and with the KP2, it sounds identical to his synth effects... with guitar, it's much more of a vintage fuzz tone.

It's always been amp distortion as far as I'm aware, except for SMBH and a few other bits, which are DI'd fuzz factory...there's plug in baby as well, which is mostly fuzz factory, but the one in his guitar.

Right now I think his main sound is some of his favorite amps profiled onto the kemper - either channel 3 of the Diezel VH4, or his Marshall 1959HW (or both)... there's probably an AC30 in there somewhere too.

You might be able to get close to the DSL sound I guess. I know Jaicen likes his DSL15 (so much that he's selling it for someone else to enjoy the Muse tone)

And for what it's worth, I think a lot of his recorded tone is AC30.
A lot of people seem to get something that I think sounds like Slash in their YouTube videos but they're always using a Les Paul. I'm using the Cort and to me it sounds more like what I thought an average Marshall would sound like which is what I wanted.

Just had another go on the overdrive channel and got fairly near now I think. Gain on max, volume 1/3, treble, prescence and mids max and bass on 1/2. Funnily enough the opposite EQ settings to what people say on Marshall forums but I guess they were using Les Pauls or something. However this is on the 1 watt mode as OD channel is too loud and I expect the other people were using 5 watt mode which you have to dial in different.

I had my clean mode with pedals dialled in differently and on the full 5 watts as it is quieter than the other channel so may well have to have another tinker or see how it sounds on the OD settings I have.

As for the Vox I couldn't really get anywhere near what the Marshall is doing, probably because the Marshall is so much bigger than the Vox and probably just better thought out overall. Possibly the Vintage 30 in the Marshall may help as well since in the tour rig video Matt was using those. The Vox seemed to go from no volume to way too loud easily and was so hard to dial in with fuzz (too trebly) or built in gain (not enough treble) even though I upgraded the speaker to a Greenback. I don't think Vox do a low watt amp that would do any better so I looked elsewhere.

As for Matt's distortion sound are you sure he doesn't used the Fuzz Head more widely? It seems to appear so much in limited pictures and videos of his setup and I feel like I can get it to sound like Knights, basic chords like PIB/Mercy and even like Handler/Psycho on the D string. I've also seen a fair few covers on YouTube sound really similar to Matt using it too.

I've changed the capacitor in my Fuzz Head to the treble one and adjusted the internal trim pots to max settings so Matt may well have had some funny things done to his anyway. Before I did this I didn't think it had enough treble or drive for what I wanted.

I'll have to compare my new setting on the OD channel to what I got before with the Fuzz Head on the clean channel.
O2 Arena - 27/10/12
Brighton Dome - 23/03/15
O2 Arena - 11/04/16

Last edited by Fish Luke; 06-05-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #2812
Jaicen

I'm only selling the DSL15C because I bought a DSL40C

I do prefer the clean channel on the DSL15 though, I think the 6v6's are a bit sweeter, but the headroom of the 40w is necessary.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #2813
nerd herd
mince pie

Quote:
As for Matt's distortion sound are you sure he doesn't used the Fuzz Head more widely? It seems to appear so much in limited pictures and videos of his setup and I feel like I can get it to sound like Knights, basic chords like PIB/Mercy and even like Handler/Psycho on the D string. I've also seen a fair few covers on YouTube sound really similar to Matt using it too.
Not sure about the fuzz head, but http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct1...track-1015.htm is decent for knowing which fuzz pedals are on drones. Interesting that he used a colour box.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #2814
Fish Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd herd View Post
Not sure about the fuzz head, but http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct1...track-1015.htm is decent for knowing which fuzz pedals are on drones. Interesting that he used a colour box.
Another interesting point on there is that he used the Fuzz Factory a lot on drones supposedly then. If anything I thought the distortion on Drones was more from amps or something like Fuzz Head. Maybe the Fuzz Head is used less on the guitar then otherwise it would have appeared in the article for sure.
O2 Arena - 27/10/12
Brighton Dome - 23/03/15
O2 Arena - 11/04/16
Old 06-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #2815
james90
boring_moderator

Quote:

I've changed the capacitor in my Fuzz Head to the treble one and adjusted the internal trim pots to max settings so Matt may well have had some funny things done to his anyway. Before I did this I didn't think it had enough treble or drive for what I wanted.

I'll have to compare my new setting on the OD channel to what I got before with the Fuzz Head on the clean channel.
I'm not sure really, but the one I had just sounded like a really good fuzz face type pedal.

And are we talking live or studio? Studio version of Psycho for example has lots of AC30 from what I can hear, especially in the verses. Can get really close with the AC30HW I have. Here's an AC15HW combo - you can sort of hear the similarities. Almost a fuzzy sort of tone, but not really.

Live sounds more like the VH4 channel 3, possibly mixed with something else. Not sure about the fuzz tones he currently has though. Those could be profiled as well for all I know.

Oh and as for the colour box, I've tried one of those, and it doesn't get you the sound alone. He's running some fuzz pedals (I think I saw some Cornish fuzz pedals in one of the studio videos?) into it, and using the colour box to emulate the sound of the pedal running into one of those old consoles. Or at least I think that's what he was doing...

Another pedal that was used is the custom made turkish pedal from istanbul (machsonic thrust drive)

In the demo videos I've seen, it really doesn't sound good at all, but remember he was running it into an ampeg V4B. Not only is that a bass amp, but it has some extreme midrange shaping options.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #2816
Fish Luke

Quote:
I'm not sure really, but the one I had just sounded like a really good fuzz face type pedal.

And are we talking live or studio? Studio version of Psycho for example has lots of AC30 from what I can hear, especially in the verses. Can get really close with the AC30HW I have. Here's an AC15HW combo - you can sort of hear the similarities. Almost a fuzzy sort of tone, but not really.

Live sounds more like the VH4 channel 3, possibly mixed with something else. Not sure about the fuzz tones he currently has though. Those could be profiled as well for all I know.

Oh and as for the colour box, I've tried one of those, and it doesn't get you the sound alone. He's running some fuzz pedals (I think I saw some Cornish fuzz pedals in one of the studio videos?) into it, and using the colour box to emulate the sound of the pedal running into one of those old consoles. Or at least I think that's what he was doing...

Another pedal that was used is the custom made turkish pedal from istanbul (machsonic thrust drive)

In the demo videos I've seen, it really doesn't sound good at all, but remember he was running it into an ampeg V4B. Not only is that a bass amp, but it has some extreme midrange shaping options.
See the AC4 I have really distorts my view of what a Vox sounds like since I couldn't get it to sound remotely similar to that or muse even though I upgraded it to JJ tubes and Greenback which the AC4HW have. Sounded nice clean but fuzz was too treblely and distortion too boxy and it was a loud amp that didn't sound great with the volume down. All of the controls seemed to have sharp thresholds rather than acting linear as well.

Does sound like the amp in the video could be a core muse sound but couldn't get anything like it out of my AC4.
O2 Arena - 27/10/12
Brighton Dome - 23/03/15
O2 Arena - 11/04/16
Old 06-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #2817
james90
boring_moderator

Quote:
See the AC4 I have really distorts my view of what a Vox sounds like since I couldn't get it to sound remotely similar to that or muse even though I upgraded it to JJ tubes and Greenback which the AC4HW have. Sounded nice clean but fuzz was too treblely and distortion too boxy and it was a loud amp that didn't sound great with the volume down. All of the controls seemed to have sharp thresholds rather than acting linear as well.

Does sound like the amp in the video could be a core muse sound but couldn't get anything like it out of my AC4.
I haven't tried the AC4. What size speaker does it have? I can understand that anyway - even though it's still in the AC series, I wouldn't expect it to sound quite like an AC30. Some will have to do with the cabinet design, speaker size, lower wattage, smaller transformers, etc...

I didn't do any upgrades to my AC HW, even though there are SEVERAL suggested ones. It's a well built amp, but even though it's one of the more expensive ones, some of the components aren't quite as good as you'd expect.

Does the AC4 have a master volume? I can still get a relatively close sound with the master engaged and top boost channel volume turned up, so you don't necessarily need to have the power amp working hard.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #2818
nerd herd
mince pie

Quote:

Is that the wooden one someone on here (was it you?) bought a while ago and it turned out to be pretty useless?
Old 06-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #2819
james90
boring_moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd herd View Post
Is that the wooden one someone on here (was it you?) bought a while ago and it turned out to be pretty useless?
That was me, but it turned out that I bought the wrong pedal (blame Niel)
Old 06-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #2820
Cider

My old AC4 had a 10 inch speaker. I never got around trying it at a loud setting, because neighbors. :/

I kind of wish I had a good amp, but I see apartment living inevitable in the next few years so I've just been using headphones out of the Line6.

Do you guys know of any amp/ amp sim that actually sounds good with headphones?
Cider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
@dickmovedom , another manson thread , chunky trannies , dom's hayden got sold , guacamole , my hayden got sold , nando's , p90 , prince charles , qotsa thread , royal blood , royale with blood