Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse Incl. Off Topic > Kit & Tab

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:28 AM   #31
Jackplug
Gimp.
 
Jackplug's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 April 2005
Location: Immingham
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Jackplug
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
YES

Anyway, how does the Dr. Z sound? I know we've talked about the loudness/headroom etc stuff, but what does it sound like?
In response to your previous question, a little more. The 38 just 'breathes' a little more.

The amp.. oh god, what an amp. Let me start off talking about the 'cut' knob, which I can only describe as a tone knob for the output tubes. The full spectrum of this knob can take you from Blackface Fender territory, through to AC30 country, then kicked out at the Marshall end, it's really.. so.. SO versatile. For such a SIMPLE amp it can do so much stuff, each knob is VITALLY important, If I had everything at 12 o clock, then moved the treble to the right slightly, mids to the left slightly, COMPLETELY Different tone. In terms of what it does.. Well, the cleans are ..amazing. Think of Jazz cleans, but not just the bold, rounded tone. It has all this 'hair' about it, theres swirling overtones, which is really.. odd, but incredible to hear. It sparkles but it's not icepicky in the SLIGHTEST, it's 'warm' but not whoophy. When you kick it in the overdrivey kind area, dependent on the cut knob, it can do throaty, angsty sounding AC30 on 10 kinda tone, through bitey ear shredding Fender+OD tone, to Plexi-Esque kinda, brown sound, for want of a better description. When we really get this thing cooking, it's REALLY marshally, but like.. the epitome of Marshall, in a good sense. Just that.. creamy (I know), saturated, hairy .. I.. I just cant describe it, it's perfect. It MAKES you want to play, the cut and bite of it is just amazing. Best amp I've EVER played, hands down. The last amp I'll need, and you know me James, that's odd coming from me!

Try one, seriously!

And Jonnno, look at MI Audio Crunchbox or Fulltone OCD (Or the Fulldrive) for that kind of tone, I reckon?
Jackplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #32
james90
boring_moderator
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackplug View Post
In response to your previous question, a little more. The 38 just 'breathes' a little more.

The amp.. oh god, what an amp. Let me start off talking about the 'cut' knob, which I can only describe as a tone knob for the output tubes. The full spectrum of this knob can take you from Blackface Fender territory, through to AC30 country, then kicked out at the Marshall end, it's really.. so.. SO versatile. For such a SIMPLE amp it can do so much stuff, each knob is VITALLY important, If I had everything at 12 o clock, then moved the treble to the right slightly, mids to the left slightly, COMPLETELY Different tone. In terms of what it does.. Well, the cleans are ..amazing. Think of Jazz cleans, but not just the bold, rounded tone. It has all this 'hair' about it, theres swirling overtones, which is really.. odd, but incredible to hear. It sparkles but it's not icepicky in the SLIGHTEST, it's 'warm' but not whoophy. When you kick it in the overdrivey kind area, dependent on the cut knob, it can do throaty, angsty sounding AC30 on 10 kinda tone, through bitey ear shredding Fender+OD tone, to Plexi-Esque kinda, brown sound, for want of a better description. When we really get this thing cooking, it's REALLY marshally, but like.. the epitome of Marshall, in a good sense. Just that.. creamy (I know), saturated, hairy .. I.. I just cant describe it, it's perfect. It MAKES you want to play, the cut and bite of it is just amazing. Best amp I've EVER played, hands down. The last amp I'll need, and you know me James, that's odd coming from me!

Try one, seriously!
Wow, I'm going to look at one of these. I saw a KT45 the other day, but didn't get to try it. (I think that one is a JTM45 style amp)
__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
8 May 2015 - Webster Hall
27 January 2016 - Barclays Center
29 January 2016 - Prudential Center
22 July 2017 - Jones Beach
24 July 2017 - Central Park
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:36 AM   #33
Jackplug
Gimp.
 
Jackplug's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 April 2005
Location: Immingham
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Jackplug
Yeah it is. The Route 66 is hot too, and the Sting Ray (Not Stang-Ray).
Jackplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #34
jonnno
the mighty J
 
jonnno's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14 August 2007
Location: Melbourne
Last.fm icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackplug View Post
And Jonnno, look at MI Audio Crunchbox or Fulltone OCD (Or the Fulldrive) for that kind of tone, I reckon?
Yeah I was thinking the MI too, it looks good and it's cheap too! I think they're made in Sydney so thats pretty cool I reckon.
jonnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #35
Jackplug
Gimp.
 
Jackplug's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 April 2005
Location: Immingham
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Jackplug
The crunchbox is one of my favourites
Jackplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #36
Phill
 
Phill's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 December 2003
Location: Cornwall
Age: 33
Facebook icon Flickr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnno View Post



Hoping to get a drive or boost for it too, maybe a tubescreamer or fulldrive 2.
Ah amazing, I like the blue Mine's black and silver.
What do you think of it?

edit: surely you can get that kind of drive straight out the amp?
__________________

Last edited by Phill; 03-02-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #37
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 31
Facebook icon SoundCloud icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackplug View Post
Fulldrive 2's are great. Look at HBE Powerscreamers too, and Fulltone OCD's.
no they aren't.
__________________
Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
stuff on spotify
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #38
Jackplug
Gimp.
 
Jackplug's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 April 2005
Location: Immingham
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Jackplug
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
no they aren't.
Need I put 'In my opinion' at the end of everything? Tone boils down to opinion and you know that, there's no need to reply like that. At least give us SOME justification, Jesus. I suppose you being the holy grail of all things Kit and Tab is enough for you.

Last edited by Jackplug; 03-02-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Jackplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #39
Phill
 
Phill's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 December 2003
Location: Cornwall
Age: 33
Facebook icon Flickr icon
I'm tempted by a Box of Rock to run through my Traynor, not sure how much gain I'd actually get out of one though...
__________________
Phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #40
Dramatic Hammer
Legendary Swordsman
 
Join Date: 24 August 2003
Send a message via MSN to Dramatic Hammer
Facebook icon MySpace icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man361 View Post
jon, i love synthesisers with a step sequencer built in. the ms2000 is pretty cool, but i think the only thing that could make a virus better is a step sequencer
I've never had the chance to play a virus but yeah the step seq. is very cool - especially as you can pretty much control anything with it (either editing each step through the menu or 'recording' a bar of knob twisting .

The one annoying thing is that despite appearances you can't just turn steps on or off via the buttons (as in the microkorg)... I assume it can be done with a volume sequence but it's a bit frustrating as I basically got it to do 16-step arp patterns (the MK only does 8)!
__________________
Dramatic Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #41
the_man361
Most Talented+Helpful 08!
 
the_man361's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20 August 2004
Location: Leeds
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to the_man361
Facebook icon Twitter icon You Tube icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I've never had the chance to play a virus but yeah the step seq. is very cool - especially as you can pretty much control anything with it (either editing each step through the menu or 'recording' a bar of knob twisting .

The one annoying thing is that despite appearances you can't just turn steps on or off via the buttons (as in the microkorg)... I assume it can be done with a volume sequence but it's a bit frustrating as I basically got it to do 16-step arp patterns (the MK only does 8)!
thats odd!

ooh do try the virus if you get the chance
__________________


the_man361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #42
JoBear
moa
 
JoBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 May 2004
Location: London
I didn't buy it but I've acquired a tenor banjo.

It's in a pretty bad shape, needs a new pigskin and the bridge fixed but I'm quite excited about the prospect.
JoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #43
Fluffy the Conqueror
Guest
 
Someone on one of my other forums posted this. this program costs $80 and you should seriously check out what it does if you do any work with samples or DAW software. There's a 100 day demo that I'm using right now, and just after a few minutes it's worth it.

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Snapper/snapper.html






edit- Oh, I should have mentioned, mac users only...

Last edited by Fluffy the Conqueror; 03-02-2008 at 03:39 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #44
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 31
Facebook icon SoundCloud icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man361 View Post
thats odd!

ooh do try the virus if you get the chance
yes!


the virus is brilliant
__________________
Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
stuff on spotify
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #45
scottST
kill the fuck out of you
 
scottST's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 November 2006
Location: aberdeen
Age: 33
You Tube icon
i just got me a Virus B today


pics to come
scottST is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
amps , bass , buying , effects , g.a.s. , guitars , new gear , new stuff , purchases , recent , recent purchaces , reviews , shiny and new , shopping , where to buy


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Web Feature: behind the scenes at a recent photo shoot cher Muse In the Media 12 03-07-2010 12:45 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)