Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse > Songs & Releases

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #241
SerpentSatellite
A subtle sense of absence
 
SerpentSatellite's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 June 2012
Marginally related I suppose because they're touring together, but I'm rather surprised how much 30STM's new single reminds me of Dig Down.
Poppy, repetitious, vague/shallow political lyrics, and a full on gospel chorus.

Possibly more listenable, still, though.
SerpentSatellite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #242
s3ker
Member
 
Join Date: 16 February 2008
Location: Portugal
Age: 24
As diverse as Muse's material has become over the years...there hasn't really ever been a song I actually disliked. Something about their overall delivery has always sat on the right side, with me.

Not this though. It just doesn't do anything for me, really. Sounds like a song that should've been left forgotten deep in some hard drive. The worst offender, personally, would be how their idea of development on the second verse is made up of some incredibly generic guitar arpeggio and cheap sounding staccato strings... It just seems very half harsed, which is something I've never felt Muse had done. Despite how people felt towards their different experiments, I've always appreciated their unrelenting attention to instrumentation. I always felt like the band had a very personal way of filling up the sonic spectrum of their music, but this is just not the case.

Also vocal wise, the metrics chosen for the words seem so uninspired and like no second thought has been put into them: the beat is very stale which means as a listener you kinda depend on the rythmical nuances of the vocals to groove around the strong beats. But thats just not there.

To seal the deal, the pulsating synth bass upon which the whole tune is built on sounded dated by the time the song came out, I can't imagine how that will feel in a couple years*. Overall a truly disposable single. Maybe this was just something they quickly put together to kick off the U.S tour with? Heh.

Seriously surprised that the song didn't grow one bit on me, which is very unusual with me for Muse tracks.

Last edited by s3ker; 24-08-2017 at 04:03 PM.
s3ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #243
MartianSpaghettiRider
Member
 
MartianSpaghettiRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 January 2015
Location: Italy
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3ker View Post
As diverse as Muse's material has become over the years...there hasn't really ever been a song I actually disliked. Something about their overall delivery has always sat on the right side, with me.

Not this though. It just doesn't do anything for me, really. Sounds like a song that should've been left forgotten deep in some hard drive. The worst offender, personally, would be how their idea of development on the second verse is made up of some incredibly generic guitar arpeggio and cheap sounding staccato strings... It just seems very half harsed, which is something I've never felt Muse had done. Despite how people felt towards their different experiments, I've always appreciated their unrelenting attention to instrumentation. I always felt like the band had a very personal way of filling up the sonic spectrum of their music, but this is just not the case.

Also vocal wise, the metrics chosen for the words seem so uninspired and like no second thought has been put into them: the beat is very stale which means as a listener you kinda depend on the rythmical nuances of the vocals to groove around the strong beats. But thats just not there.

To seal the deal, the pulsating synth bass upon which the whole tune is built on sounded dated by the time the song came out, I can't imagine how that will feel in a couple synths. Overall a truly disposable single. Maybe this was just something they quickly put together to kick off the U.S tour with? Heh.

Seriously surprised that the song didn't grow one bit on me, which is very unusual with me for Muse tracks.
Maybe it's indeed how you put it: just a throwaway single released for the sake of having something new to offer while touring again. I actually enjoy it, perhaps more then I've thought I would, but perhaps it might have been better received if it wasn't an official single forma a future project, maybe presented as a collateral b-side.
__________________
You've got the Readers and Books, babe... Now I am literalized!
MartianSpaghettiRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #244
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 21
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Part of me actually wouldn't be surprised if they end up leaving Dig Down off when they eventually get round to doing LP8. They've had a history of falling out of favour with songs written/played that far in advance of putting together an album, and it's obvs been received v poorly. With the 'singles release method' thing looking increasingly up in the air, it could easily just end up left as another between-albums standalone.
__________________
LCCC (4/9/10) | Leeds Festival (28/8/11) | Etihad Stadium (1/6/13) | Manchester Academy (22/3/15) | Download Festival (13/6/15)
Manchester Arena (9/4/16) | London O2 (11/4/16) | London O2 (12/4/16) | London O2 (14/4/16) | London O2 (15/4/16) | Eiffel Tower (28/6/16)
Shepherd's Bush Empire (19/8/17) | Belfast Vital (23/8/17) | Leeds Festival (25/8/17)
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 01:17 AM   #245
bumpypotato
Strangeseas is persistent
 
bumpypotato's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 August 2011
Location: In your pants and loving it.
Age: 22
Twitter icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentSatellite View Post
Marginally related I suppose because they're touring together, but I'm rather surprised how much 30STM's new single reminds me of Dig Down.
Poppy, repetitious, vague/shallow political lyrics, and a full on gospel chorus.

Possibly more listenable, still, though.
I dunno. They're both pretty terrible, but at least Dig Down makes me chuckle.
__________________
bumpypotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #246
That Little Animal
Sexiest Male Muser of 2006 & 2005
 
That Little Animal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 May 2003
Location: A little to the left, yeah, there... That's right.
Age: 36
Facebook icon Flickr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
Part of me actually wouldn't be surprised if they end up leaving Dig Down off when they eventually get round to doing LP8. They've had a history of falling out of favour with songs written/played that far in advance of putting together an album, and it's obvs been received v poorly. With the 'singles release method' thing looking increasingly up in the air, it could easily just end up left as another between-albums standalone.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if it showed up on the album. Everyone would just skip it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Museaddict74 View Post
I was screaming my happiness to see the band coming in front of me.
That Little Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #247
That Little Animal
Sexiest Male Muser of 2006 & 2005
 
That Little Animal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 May 2003
Location: A little to the left, yeah, there... That's right.
Age: 36
Facebook icon Flickr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentSatellite View Post
Poppy, repetitious, vague/shallow political lyrics, and a full on gospel chorus.
Just tried a listen. I can't handle this kind of music. Lots of oooh-oh and same vocals and beats as everything else on the radio. And the lyrics pretend to say a lot without actually saying anything.

Dig Down is shit, but at least there aren't a hundred other songs like it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Museaddict74 View Post
I was screaming my happiness to see the band coming in front of me.
That Little Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 11:54 PM   #248
Gemsy
I ate all your bees.
Best Female Muser 2011, 2013, 2014
Best Mature Muser 2011
 
Gemsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 April 2003
Twitter icon
haha. Now I can say it's just as dull live...
__________________
Yellow Regret: "Using my elite internets skillz, I went on the Arctic Monkeys Message Board and found this gem: 'An attempt to spam the Muse forum has gone terribly awry, as it appears many on the Muse forum don't actually like Muse.'"
Rage Kitty: "You're still the Mod of Hearts Gemsy. Like Diana but not posh, blonde or dead."

dreams divide tho
Gemsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #249
hipbones
Show me your teeth.
 
hipbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27 May 2008
Location: Norn Iron
Absolute dog shit.
Opened the Belfast gig and totally killed the mood.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjet View Post
Vote Matt out of the band.

Mexit.
hipbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 12:42 AM   #250
bumpypotato
Strangeseas is persistent
 
bumpypotato's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 August 2011
Location: In your pants and loving it.
Age: 22
Twitter icon
Why would you open with something like that?
__________________
bumpypotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #251
Clunge
Vagina Doom
 
Clunge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 September 2004
Age: 28
I genuinely think this might be Muse's worst song ever.

Sure there have been loads of duffers, but they've come as part of a creative process that has produced some mega tracks. You win some, you lose some, they at least felt like the band was mking an effort one way or another.

Dig Down though, jesus. It's like they actually didn't give a shit and just tossed something off to fill a gap. How did they make something so bland after the likes of Dead Inside, Reapers and The Handler?
__________________

19/12/04 | 22/08/06 | 11/11/06 | 16/06/07 | 12/04/08 | 05/09/09 | 13/09/09 | 28/08/11 | 27/10/12 | 23/03/15 | 13/06/15 | 15/04/16
Clunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #252
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 21
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
^ I remember hearing a lot of the same descriptions for NSC tbf. Not that NSC was good or owt, but I don't think Dig Down's the first.
__________________
LCCC (4/9/10) | Leeds Festival (28/8/11) | Etihad Stadium (1/6/13) | Manchester Academy (22/3/15) | Download Festival (13/6/15)
Manchester Arena (9/4/16) | London O2 (11/4/16) | London O2 (12/4/16) | London O2 (14/4/16) | London O2 (15/4/16) | Eiffel Tower (28/6/16)
Shepherd's Bush Empire (19/8/17) | Belfast Vital (23/8/17) | Leeds Festival (25/8/17)
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #253
Oy
Member
 
Oy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 August 2016
At least NSC was a complete one off though. According to Matt, Dig Down will be on the new album. Comparing to the other electro-pop singles, I think it's considerably worse than UD, Madness and DI - and they all came off average to poor albums.

Puts a big downer on this next album before we've even gotten to the proper build up stage..
Oy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #254
'bros' owl
Member
 
Join Date: 27 August 2017
Thought it sounded fine when I saw it, nice to open with a new song and a probably nice for the band to start by playing something new.
'bros' owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #255
Hopix
Member
 
Hopix's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 March 2008
Location: Sol
Age: 25
Please don't put it on the album. It'll ruin the flow, even if it were a good song.
__________________
Proud fan of Unintended, Screenager, Soldier's Poem, Invincible, .

"The Resistance of the happy majority of Muse fans - With less grey hair"
Hopix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dick drown , dick town , dicked down :( , dicks down for muserambe , dig down is good , digging too deep , madness 3.0


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)