Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse Incl. Off Topic > Kit & Tab

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #61
sampudd
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tom View Post
There's definitely a notion of smugness around here.
You go to the telecaster forum and people will happily share blueprints for any variation of telecasters they have. People make hundreds of telecasters for both personal use and sale.

You go to the Les Paul forum and people will happily pass around blueprints for different models of Les pauls. Same as above.

You come to Kit and Tab and no one dares pass around even an OUTLINE for the MoC shape, because you wouldnt want to dare upset Hugh incase he crys or something, and simply having the "morality" to see making a MoC for sale as wrong, this makes you a better person.

Same goes for the whole rule against fuzz factory clone talk. Why should it be fine to talk about clones of any other pedal other than Z vex pedals JUST because Bellamy is known for using one... Sure Zach might have made out he doesnt aprove of clones, but then I doubt ANY pedal manufacturer does...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raurie View Post
Copyright is automatic but doesn't apply here anyway. Lets not debate things we don't know about, eh?

'tis a tastey replica but doesn't touch the blackie one imo. Got a bit of a soft spot for that one anyway though!
okay so I don't know enough about copyrighting and stuff to write a dissertation on it but anyway, It would be a trademark, which definitely isn't automatic and takes quite a long time and a fair amount of money to do.

Lets face it, if there was actually something legally preventing people from selling guitars with the MoC shape etc. zooropa would have had a rather large fine already.

Last edited by sampudd; 24-12-2010 at 04:11 PM.
sampudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #62
Olly.
ϟ
Worst Mod 2009
Worst Mod 2010
Even Worse Mod 2011
 
Join Date: 27 August 2006
Or they just aren't aware of him...
Olly. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #63
Raurie
Curious
 
Raurie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28 October 2005
Location: Wiltshire/Cardiff
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampudd View Post

okay so I don't know enough about copyrighting and stuff to write a dissertation on it but anyway, It would be a trademark, which definitely isn't automatic and takes quite a long time and a fair amount of money to do.

Lets face it, if there was actually something legally preventing people from selling guitars with the MoC shape etc. zooropa would have had a rather large fine already.
Heh, me neither, hence the research. The point is that whether or not they've taken steps to protect their outline there's a lot of misinformation going round here. It's not a question of whether you make money from something or not, if you use someone elses intellectual property without their permission you're breaking the law and they have every right to get you to stop and compensate them if they choose. It's up to them, however, to prove that there's been an infringement and to get you to stop so even if there was some protection in place Mansons would have to find out that you're doing it, find out who you are and track you down before it even gets near a court. Some companies and individuals take a real hardline on this (*cough* Warner) and others may let it slide for non-profit projects (George Lucas and his execs are known to take this approach with a lot of Star Wars i.p in fanfilms and the like).

I've already said that I think it's unlikely that they've bothered any protection with the shapes because who really cares if your guitar is the same shape as theirs because you can't sell it as a Manson because they've more than likely got "Manson Guitars" and, almost certainly, their logo trademarked.
__________________
.........................
Raurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #64
~Tom
Member
 
~Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 October 2008
Location: Liverpool
Age: 27
Flickr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampudd View Post
You go to the telecaster forum and people will happily share blueprints for any variation of telecasters they have. People make hundreds of telecasters for both personal use and sale.

You go to the Les Paul forum and people will happily pass around blueprints for different models of Les pauls. Same as above.

You come to Kit and Tab and no one dares pass around even an OUTLINE for the MoC shape, because you wouldnt want to dare upset Hugh incase he crys or something, and simply having the "morality" to see making a MoC for sale as wrong, this makes you a better person.

Same goes for the whole rule against fuzz factory clone talk. Why should it be fine to talk about clones of any other pedal other than Z vex pedals JUST because Bellamy is known for using one... Sure Zach might have made out he doesnt aprove of clones, but then I doubt ANY pedal manufacturer does...
I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about Musecasters being smug.
~Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #65
sampudd
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tom View Post
I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about Musecasters being smug.
I know, I was just outlining how silly this whole thing is.
sampudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #66
Phill
 
Phill's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 December 2003
Location: Cornwall
Age: 33
Facebook icon Flickr icon
I don't see how he's being smug. He's fairly regular at Manson's so is friendly with the staff and has enough respect for Hugh not to build replicas of his guitars for others or to go around giving out the plans for the guitars that he's put the effort in to make and some people can't be bothered to do for themselves.
I don't see what's smug about that. I wouldn't go handing them out either.
__________________
Phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #67
Olly.
ϟ
Worst Mod 2009
Worst Mod 2010
Even Worse Mod 2011
 
Join Date: 27 August 2006
yeah exactly, if anything its the other way round and people are just jealous.
Olly. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #68
sampudd
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 December 2010
What.. no one is jealous, this has nothing to do with who has the best MoC etc etc. this is simply to do with WHY everyone has this idea that if people make MoC replicas for sale, that they are going to get fucked over by Mansons, And peoples attitude towards the sale of MoCs and the passing around of Schems. I personally would happily hand out an outline to any newfags that wanted it, if I could be bothered to do it in the first place.

Okay, fair enough, If Musecasters is a regular in mansons then yeah, he has a reason not to make MoCs for sale. That is all this is about.
sampudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #69
james90
boring_moderator
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
I don't see how he's being smug. He's fairly regular at Manson's so is friendly with the staff and has enough respect for Hugh not to build replicas of his guitars for others or to go around giving out the plans for the guitars that he's put the effort in to make and some people can't be bothered to do for themselves.
I don't see what's smug about that. I wouldn't go handing them out either.
Yeah it's a respect thing really. I wouldn't give out the shape, but Alex asked me what the height of the MB-1 was a while back.

Am I going to hell because I told him?
__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
8 May 2015 - Webster Hall
27 January 2016 - Barclays Center
29 January 2016 - Prudential Center
22 July 2017 - Jones Beach
24 July 2017 - Central Park
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #70
JimboMansonMB-1
Genuine Texas Mojo
 
JimboMansonMB-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 March 2010
Location: tennessee
Age: 24
It's not that we're smug, it's that a lot of us are friends with Hugh and Tim and respect them enough not to copy their design. What others have said
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie™ View Post
Nice one... but dont you have enough jazzmasters?

LOLNOPE
JimboMansonMB-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #71
Simno
Falling from your grace
 
Simno's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 September 2003
Location: They seek him here... they seek him there...
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
Yeah it's a respect thing really. I wouldn't give out the shape, but Alex asked me what the height of the MB-1 was a while back.

Am I going to hell because I told him?
A special level of hell James
__________________

Simno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #72
Larry.
Not An Angel Yet
 
Larry.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 June 2010
Location: See Biffy's touring schedule.
Age: 23
You Tube icon
What a nice productive conversation about MUSECASTER'S DELOREAN REPLICA this is
Larry. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #73
Liam511
Member
 
Liam511's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17 April 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Facebook icon You Tube icon
Yes its disrespectful to sell a guitar the exact same as one Hugh has made but i personally dont see the disrespect in giving out a blueprint or something,

I was looking for one a while ago so i could make a CAD model for my school coursework but had no luck so ditched the idea because of the fact its like asking a homeless person for some pie

I do sometimes think that those who dont have a shitload of money and play with a squier and a 10W marshal are deemed as lesser than those who do and have made/bought a manson and have a deizel and some belloorrzzzz effects.

*flameproof jacket put on*
__________________
Liam511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #74
Phill
 
Phill's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 December 2003
Location: Cornwall
Age: 33
Facebook icon Flickr icon
The only people who are thought less of are the people how want everything given to them without even trying to size up a template of there own. It's not like there aren't tonnes of pictures of Matt's guitars out there to base them off, the same as everyone else has done.
__________________
Phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #75
sampudd
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboMansonMB-1 View Post
It's not that we're smug, it's that a lot of us are friends with Hugh and Tim and respect them enough not to copy their design. What others have said
Lol... being facebook friends with tim does not make you his actual friend...

Either way I don't think people should care so much about "ripping off" Mansons, It's not like they are going to be put out of buisness by smaller luthiers, even if they didn't sell MB1s, everything on their website is so outragiously overpriced they must make a packet! However I would definitely see someone ripping off Hooglebug as disrespectful etc.
sampudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Musecasters new replica: blackie musecasters Kit & Tab 65 24-07-2012 07:28 PM
my bomber replica musecasters Kit & Tab 498 15-10-2010 03:28 PM
Musecasters new replica: chromey (+ sustainer) musecasters Kit & Tab 83 26-08-2010 02:05 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)