Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse > Songs & Releases

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Today, 12:05 AM   #1276
SerpentSatellite
A subtle sense of absence
 
SerpentSatellite's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocaraca View Post
The final line of Aftermath "loneliness has gone" is supposed to be like that though right? Matt's doing his usual falsetto vocal style here. Or is it just that's it's breathy?
It sounds like he completely ran out of breath and was trying to push out one last line. I could see it if it had some contextual meaning, but it in no way comes off like it's supposed to be that way, and sounds like a failed take or something. Just really odd.

And yeah, seeing Matt and Costey laughing at the new track has reinforced my belief that something really stupid is going to come out on Halloween again.
SerpentSatellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:44 AM   #1277
Tjet
Most Annoying Muser 2011, 2015
Sluttiest Muser 2012
Sexiest Male Muser 2013
 
Tjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 25 December 2008
Age: 25
Facebook icon Tumblr icon
I think the Aftermath line is definitely intentional and an artistic decision. I mean Matt has increased his cheesy nonsense for years.
__________________
Tjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:05 AM   #1278
Man With A Harmonica
Member
 
Man With A Harmonica's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentSatellite View Post
And yeah, seeing Matt and Costey laughing at the new track has reinforced my belief that something really stupid is going to come out on Halloween again.
Or they could just be having fun
__________________
Proudly loves every Muse song (kinda) except for Jimmy Kane and Coma

Sydney Qudos Bank Arena 16/12/17
Man With A Harmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:27 AM   #1279
SerpentSatellite
A subtle sense of absence
 
SerpentSatellite's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 June 2012
You'll all see when this ends up being a cover of Highway to Hell with Matt wearing a school boy uniform for Halloween...
SerpentSatellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #1280
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 21
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Yeah, I think one out-of-context pic of them laughing is a bit of a stretch to link to anything

Seems too different from the NKOK process to me to be another silly Halloween cover. Proper producer, heavy promotion on Insta, looks like more effort in-studio.
__________________
LCCC (4/9/10) | Leeds Festival (28/8/11) | Etihad Stadium (1/6/13) | Manchester Academy (22/3/15) | Download Festival (13/6/15)
Manchester Arena (9/4/16) | London O2 (11/4/16) | London O2 (12/4/16) | London O2 (14/4/16) | London O2 (15/4/16) | Eiffel Tower (28/6/16)
Shepherd's Bush Empire (19/8/17) | Belfast Vital (23/8/17) | Leeds Festival (25/8/17)
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:17 AM   #1281
Tjet
Most Annoying Muser 2011, 2015
Sluttiest Muser 2012
Sexiest Male Muser 2013
 
Tjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 25 December 2008
Age: 25
Facebook icon Tumblr icon
Iím just expecting another song where they donít take themselves seriously (in other words, a joke song).
__________________
Tjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:25 AM   #1282
Clunge
Vagina Doom
 
Clunge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 September 2004
Age: 28
The problem with anything Muse do that is them 'not taking themselves too seriously' is it is the antithesis of what they are trying to achieve, it proves they ARE taking themselves too seriously and feel the need to publicly dismiss it. It just feels like nothing natural or organic flows out of Muse any more, and any flashes of it are cast aside for fear they won't chime with where their perception of their fanbase is these days.

I just want some properly dark, gnarly, twisted shit please.
__________________

19/12/04 | 22/08/06 | 11/11/06 | 16/06/07 | 12/04/08 | 05/09/09 | 13/09/09 | 28/08/11 | 27/10/12 | 23/03/15 | 13/06/15 | 15/04/16
Clunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #1283
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 21
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
I think Muse are one of the hardest bands to draw the line between 'joke' and 'serious' with at this point anyway tbh
__________________
LCCC (4/9/10) | Leeds Festival (28/8/11) | Etihad Stadium (1/6/13) | Manchester Academy (22/3/15) | Download Festival (13/6/15)
Manchester Arena (9/4/16) | London O2 (11/4/16) | London O2 (12/4/16) | London O2 (14/4/16) | London O2 (15/4/16) | Eiffel Tower (28/6/16)
Shepherd's Bush Empire (19/8/17) | Belfast Vital (23/8/17) | Leeds Festival (25/8/17)
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:37 AM   #1284
Tjet
Most Annoying Muser 2011, 2015
Sluttiest Muser 2012
Sexiest Male Muser 2013
 
Tjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 25 December 2008
Age: 25
Facebook icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
I think Muse are one of the hardest bands to draw the line between 'joke' and 'serious' with at this point anyway tbh
Which is why most of the later half of their career can’t ever stand up to the early part. If Muse don’t take their music seriously, why should I? Like, I think Panic Station is a fun track, but I would feel touched by it. Often it just comes across as insincere.
__________________
Tjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #1285
MartianSpaghettiRider
Member
 
MartianSpaghettiRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 January 2015
Location: Italy
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjet View Post
Which is why most of the later half of their career canít ever stand up to the early part. If Muse donít take their music seriously, why should I? Like, I think Panic Station is a fun track, but I would feel touched by it. Often it just comes across as insincere.
Maybe because... they've changed as people? They're not the brooding, melancholic, gnarly youngsters who struggled with the idea of fame and its consequences anymore. They no longer make use of "magic shrooms" to "expand their perception of reality" or "communicate with spirits in the woods" (cue Matt in) because they've just grown out of it. Now they're rich and famous rockstars, two of them have families, they enjoy life with the money they've earned, and thus they clearly have more of a positive outlook regarding their lives, simple as that. For Matt, being a little happier on the inside has probably translated in an effort of detaching himself from who he was formerly, because he hasn't felt those darker, moodier sensations as strong as before.
Honestly, what would the point be in writing self-centered songs focusing on those sensations if you really don't feel them? Yeah, you could write them, but they'd only be an emulation of something that's no longer there. And that would be as much as shamefully insincere, too. "So, why can't I focus on political conspiracies and paranoias delivered in a melodramatic fashion by singing them in-character and with 80s- or Queen-like musical bases?" Matt might have wondered. And here we are now.
What I'm trying to say is that the supposedly shallower lyrics, the poppier and more derivative music, are part of how Matt and the others are now expressing themselves in a "because-why-not" way. Having a more open, relaxed approach on life, they've just happened to choose to explore more 80s synth pop or electronic elements, and to throw away a more nuanced experimentation because... they felt like it. Unfortunately (but maybe not too much) we can't do anything about it. If the results are campy, or kitsch, it's still their doing.
To be honest, though, I really don't see the problem with the lone idea of putting out ridiculously bombastic, grotesque or joking music if they feel to. I may not like it, to the point I would shun it, but at least they do the heck they want.

Also, before someone tells me: no, it doesn't mean you mustn't criticize them or forcibly listen to their more recent output, it's just my two cents about their current situation. Make what you want of this speech.
__________________
You've got the Readers and Books, babe... Now I am literalized!

Last edited by MartianSpaghettiRider; Today at 10:59 AM.
MartianSpaghettiRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:26 AM   #1286
Tjet
Most Annoying Muser 2011, 2015
Sluttiest Muser 2012
Sexiest Male Muser 2013
 
Tjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 25 December 2008
Age: 25
Facebook icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianSpaghettiRider View Post
Maybe because... they've changed as people? They're not the brooding, melancholic, gnarly youngsters who struggled with the idea of fame and its consequences anymore. They no longer make use of "magic shrooms" to "expand their perception of reality" or "communicate with spirits in the woods" (cue Matt in) because they've just grown out of it. Now they're rich and famous rockstars, two of them have families, they enjoy life with the money they've earned, and thus they clearly have more of a positive outlook regarding their lives, simple as that. For Matt, being a little happier on the inside has probably translated in an effort of detaching himself from who he was formerly, because he hasn't felt those darker, moodier sensations as strong as before.
Honestly, what would the point be in writing self-centered songs focusing on those sensations if you really don't feel them? Yeah, you could write them, but they'd only be an emulation of something that's no longer there. And that would be as much as shamefully insincere, too. "So, why can't I focus on political conspiracies and paranoias delivered in a melodramatic fashion by singing them in-character and with 80s- or Queen-like musical bases?" Matt might have wondered. And here we are now.
What I'm trying to say is that the supposedly shallower lyrics, the poppier and more derivative music, are part of how Matt and the others are now expressing themselves in a "because-why-not" way. Having a more open, relaxed approach on life, they've just happened to choose to explore more 80s synth pop or electronic elements, and to throw away a more nuanced experimentation because... they felt like it. Unfortunately (but maybe not too much) we can't do anything about it. If the results are campy, or kitsch, it's still their doing.
To be honest, though, I really don't see the problem with the lone idea of putting out ridiculously bombastic, grotesque or joking music if they feel to. I may not like it, to the point I would shun it, but at least they do the heck they want.

Also, before someone tells me: no, it doesn't mean you mustn't criticize them or forcibly listen to their more recent output, it's just my two cents about their current situation. Make what you want of this speech.
Okay so first off, if you think music can't be written from an earnest place just because you're a more mature and happy person, you're wrong.

And if anything, Matt struggled more with the idea of fame when he was dating Kate Hudson than he had in a long time. And I mean...the fact that Chris struggled with alcoholism proves that "having it all" isn't a recipe for happiness. Even after getting over his alcoholism, Chris clearly isn't living the perfect family life (not gonna say anymore about his personal life).

And I certainly wasn't asking Matt to write songs about the feelings he had when he was in his 20s, so I don't know why you imply that I have. I'm saying they write insincere music, which they themselves have admitted regarding several songs. I repeat, you can write sincere songs even if you're not a moody teenager. And more importantly, you can take your musical output seriously. I don't like a lot of newer Muse songs because even when Matt sings about something personal, they wanna make the song "fun" or whatever by adding chants or a synth pad that makes them go "omg it just turned into 80s cheese, I love it". It's their process, but to me it lacks artistic vision for the output, and it turns me off their music.

And I was thinking of adding this to my post, but figured it didn't need repeating because it's been said a million times: Complaining about Muse's output doesn't mean I'm telling them what they should be writing instead. They do what the fuck they want, otherwise they're just selling out. I'm simply giving my reason as to why I don't like it.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot. I didn't mind it back in 2012 because I was impressed by his improved technique, but the "hero voice" is the biggest turnoff in their whole career for me. It means I can't take anything he says seriously. To me it sounds like he knows the lyrics are quite ridiculous so he uses a silly voice so it can't be criticized as a serious attempt.
__________________

Last edited by Tjet; Today at 01:31 PM.
Tjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
am true muse fan , dick down , dig down for fabri , dig down is good :) , i miss guiding light , madness 3.0 , muse is dead pop is dead , ughhhh


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What songs do you want to there to be on the next live album? Man With A Harmonica Songs & Releases 14 13-07-2016 05:51 PM
New U2 Album - Songs of Innocence wildwilly Songs & Releases 5 11-09-2014 07:40 AM
Will you listen to new songs from the 7th album? mattestro. Songs & Releases 5 03-10-2012 01:34 AM
Songs similar to next album... You.Make.Me.Sick Songs & Releases 69 25-05-2012 02:32 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)