Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse > Gigs & Tours > Tours

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #136
Clunge
Vagina Doom

Aye, the way they're playing at the moment is poop.

- Matt not playing the intro .
- Using a slow click-track .
- Lack of beefy guitar tone .
- Dull solos (Matt used to alternate tapping, alt. picking, etc, rather than just making random noises).
- Nasally, slurred vocals .
- No huge wailing scream to cap off the final chorus .
- Same outro riffs over and over again .

New Born done properly:

19/12/04 | 22/08/06 | 11/11/06 | 16/06/07 | 12/04/08 | 05/09/09 | 13/09/09 | 28/08/11 | 27/10/12 | 23/03/15 | 13/06/15 | 15/04/16
Clunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #137
naomithegreat
one haute muser.

Send a message via Skype™ to naomithegreat
Facebook icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunge View Post
- Dull solos (Matt used to alternate tapping, alt. picking, etc, rather than just making random noises).
New Born done properly:

The ugly truth. When it got played in Chicago (my first resistance tour gig) I was kinda underwhelmed. As opposed to when I heard it during the BHaR tour.

keep: matteh's shiny silver suit. new born HAARP. SS 3/12/10. RBS 10/6/10.
teh sexy plaaaaane.
toast for the assholes. get on mah boat.
naomithegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #138
hipbones
Show me your teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Chizzlebrox View Post
I also think they should drop all the riffs and shit and concentrate more on putting more songs into the tour. I wouldn't want to feel like they really don't care about their own songs. It does make me wonder just how much of their live shows are taken up by riffs and fillers. Take them all out and you'd have a half hour show I bet
I'm bored of them playing the same riffs over and over and over. Why not play their own sodding riffs or outros at the ends of songs? I remember the time Micro Cuts was played as the outro to Dead Star in Japan...like, why can't they be that spontaneous all the time?
I agree, take away the riffs and jams and you'd lose half an hour easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
But that's the thing. I don't see anyone complaining that there's too much new material in Muse's setlists. People generally expect to hear a lot of songs from the currently promoted album. It's the fact that all the things they've been playing that isn't new material has virtually stayed the same throughout the whole tour.

And re: your last statement - that's all Muse have been doing this whole tour is playing the same songs over and over and over and over and over again.
I'm actually not that bothered about the new material being played, I expect it. Like you say, it's the fact that it's the same older tracks being thrown at us every gig. I wish they'd mix it up more. Seriously, it makes me sad that I don't want to see them anymore over the head of their laziness.

Quote:
I think actually, it's the length of these gigs that's bugging me. Muse have five albums, they're renowned as the best live act on the planet, but they play 15 song arena gigs and 20 song stadium sets? I'm afraid flashing lights, pyros and UFOs don't make up for this.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee3Dee View Post
Yeah well, until they start playing it properly they might as well not bother to play it at all.
I agree with this. I'm bored of it now. What's the point in playing it if you can't even be arsed playing it as it should be?

Quote:

New Born done properly:

I was shocked at how slow the click track was when I heard the Wembley bootleg.
Matt seriously needs to get back in the game, this has lazy written all over it. Ridic.

Mexit.
hipbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #139
grabacr 31770
omnomnomnom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipbones View Post
I'm bored of them playing the same riffs over and over and over. Why not play their own sodding riffs or outros at the ends of songs? I remember the time Micro Cuts was played as the outro to Dead Star in Japan...like, why can't they be that spontaneous all the time?
I agree, take away the riffs and jams and you'd lose half an hour easy.
Dee3Dee, get here now.

And that's Dead Cuts btw- they basically play this outro whenever they play it now, it's not just every now and again (actually, they never play the song anyway). The outros have become ridiculously unoriginal.

I remember hearing a live Uno from back in 2001, and they used a Fury outro. That's what it should be about- the day Muse play an outro riff Musewiki doesn't know, they'll have succeeded.

Need moar outro.

At least next tour we'll get new outros. Of course, they'll all be worn out after 3 gigs, but hey.
grabacr 31770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #140
Frakkles
Biggest Beef Stirrer 2010, 2012, 2013

Send a message via Skype™ to Frakkles
Quote:
I think actually, it's the length of these gigs that's bugging me. Muse have five albums, they're renowned as the best live act on the planet, but they play 15 song arena gigs and 20 song stadium sets? I'm afraid flashing lights, pyros and UFOs don't make up for this.
I think the problem here is that for every one person who's upset by this, there's probably 1000 who are perfectly fine with it.

I wouldn't say I'm fine with it but the 'get out of jail' clause is clearly the fact they ARE the best live act on the planet and that the majority of people will enjoy shows regardless of things like the amount of songs played.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjet View Post
I was obviously wrong
Frakkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #141
Dee3Dee
Swedish scum
Most Devoted Fan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabacr 31770 View Post
Dee3Dee, get here now.

And that's Dead Cuts btw- they basically play this outro whenever they play it now, it's not just every now and again (actually, they never play the song anyway). The outros have become ridiculously unoriginal.

I remember hearing a live Uno from back in 2001, and they used a Fury outro. That's what it should be about- the day Muse play an outro riff Musewiki doesn't know, they'll have succeeded.

Need moar outro.

At least next tour we'll get new outros. Of course, they'll all be worn out after 3 gigs, but hey.
The riffing has gotten to the point where, as hipbones said, it's just really fucking lame. I can pretty much nail every single riff on the setlist depending on the songs they play at gigs. "Oh, Map of the Problematique tonight. Followed by some Who Knows Who riffing."

The way I see it, this is what they need to improve on;

* LEAVE THE FUCKING RIFFING ALONE IF YOU CAN'T BE SPONTANEOUS ABOUT IT OR AT LEAST CHANGE THE RIFFS EVERY NOW AND THEN

* Longer setlists

* Varied setlists. Playing the same shit setlist everywhere (except... well you know) and then making an effort for one night (Wembley second night) doesn't cut it.

* NO SPECIAL TREATMENT! YOUR HARDCORE FANS AREN'T SITUATED EXCLUSIVELY IN ASIA AND/OR AUSTRALIA

* On the off-chance freak accidents where they do play older songs, they should fucking keep playing them. Don't play them just once or twice (I'm looking at you Dead Star) and then stop. Or even better, do the same with Feeling Good and Guiding Light. Just play them once or twice and then don't play them for the rest of the tour.

* Stop with the bullshit excuses. If you lazy assholes spent half as much time rehearsing older songs and planning your setlists as you spent on making excuses for being lazy, then we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.

* New Born. Piano. Faster. Or just replace it with Unnatural Selection and be done with it.

* Get rid of the fancy lights, they're only distracting, both for the band and the fans. I'm pretty sure the seizures that Matt gets from these lights is what's making him write shit songs.

* Stop with the harmonica. Put Knights of Cydonia somewhere else in the setlist or just drop it entirely. I don't care, just stop closing with it all the time.

* Setlist polls. Don't ever do this again unless you guys are going to take it seriously.

* Stop playing Feeling Good. There was a time when it was sorta funny to bash it all the time, but seriously boys, just stop playing it already.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I'll probably think of it later.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #142
grabacr 31770
omnomnomnom

Quote:
The riffing has gotten to the point where, as hipbones said, it's just really fucking lame. I can pretty much nail every single riff on the setlist depending on the songs they play at gigs. "Oh, Map of the Problematique tonight. Followed by some Who Knows Who riffing."

* LEAVE THE FUCKING RIFFING ALONE IF YOU CAN'T BE SPONTANEOUS ABOUT IT OR AT LEAST CHANGE THE RIFFS EVERY NOW AND THEN

* Longer setlists

* Varied setlists. Playing the same shit setlist everywhere (except... well you know) and then making an effort for one night (Wembley second night) doesn't cut it.

* NO SPECIAL TREATMENT! YOUR HARDCORE FANS AREN'T SITUATED EXCLUSIVELY IN ASIA AND/OR AUSTRALIA

* On the off-chance freak accidents where they do play older songs, they should fucking keep playing them. Don't play them just once or twice (I'm looking at you Dead Star) and then stop. Or even better, do the same with Feeling Good and Guiding Light. Just play them once or twice and then don't play them for the rest of the tour.

* Stop with the bullshit excuses. If you lazy assholes spent half as much time rehearsing older songs and planning your setlists as you spent on making excuses for being lazy, then we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.

* New Born. Piano. Faster. Or just replace it with Unnatural Selection and be done with it.

* Get rid of the fancy lights, they're only distracting, both for the band and the fans. I'm pretty sure the seizures that Matt gets from these lights is what's making him write shit songs.

* Stop with the harmonica. Put Knights of Cydonia somewhere else in the setlist or just drop it entirely. I don't care, just stop closing with it all the time.

* Setlist polls. Don't ever do this again unless you guys are going to take it seriously.

* Stop playing Feeling Good. There was a time when it was sorta funny to bash it all the time, but seriously boys, just stop playing it already.

Ouch.

Also, they did play Knights third at a gig in America recently. First time since release it hasn't open or closed. It was a wierd set, open with no WATU, just straight into Exogenesis Part 1. Knights was third, first time they didn't play Unnatural Selection on the Arena Tour, close with TaB, also first time for arenas.

And then it went back to normal the next gig. Its as anticlimactic as the NSC release.

Even if they only did this level of variation, and a few more songs rehearsed and in their arsenal, their live shows could be good again.
grabacr 31770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #143
Tjet
Most Annoying Muser 2011, 2015
Sluttiest Muser 2012
Sexiest Male Muser 2013

Facebook icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Ouch.

Also, they did play Knights third at a gig in America recently. First time since release it hasn't open or closed.
I'm pretty sure that happened more than once on the American tour, and before that in 2006 too.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong about the American Tour, damnit

EDIT 2: Turns out I was right? Fuck me.

Last edited by Tjet; 03-11-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Tjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #144
Frakkles
Biggest Beef Stirrer 2010, 2012, 2013

Send a message via Skype™ to Frakkles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippe View Post
I'm pretty sure that happened more than once on the American tour.
Yup, a grand total of twice.

Knights is shit anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjet View Post
I was obviously wrong
Frakkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #145
Adrienne

Send a message via AIM to Adrienne Send a message via Skype™ to Adrienne
Quote:
Originally Posted by naomithegreat View Post
The ugly truth. When it got played in Chicago (my first resistance tour gig) I was kinda underwhelmed. As opposed to when I heard it during the BHaR tour.
I have to say the first leg of The Resistance tour that they played (saw them at MSG and in Philly) was underwhelming but the 2nd leg (saw them recently in Long Island, then Newark) blew me away like the old Muse used to. Maybe I enjoyed it more because I knew I wouldn't see them again for quite some time, but I was blown away by their 2nd leg.

Wish the set was different though.....
3/2/2010 Wachovia Center PA - 3/5/2010 MSG NY
10/23/2010 Nassau Coliseum NY - 10/24/2010 Prudential Center NJ
4/15/2013 MSG NY - 4/19/2013 IZOD Center NJ
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #146
HaikuMarko
Jedi Knight

Deviant Art icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon You Tube icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Funny how that happens.

But Muse aren't exactly known for making sense. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Muscle Museum return for at least one Australian gig.
It's getting to the end of the tour where they decide to do crazy stuff. Back in BHAR tour they started playing Space Dementia and Dead Star near the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomithegreat View Post
Yeah, same.... I was watching footage of my 1st two muse gig (Los Angeles and Irvine in 07) and my god the energy for New Born was fantastic!
- Proud Keeper of Matt's Shutter Blinky Shades Caught in Honda Center, Anaheim, CA

HaikuMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #147
futurellama
Let's Nightdrive.

Send a message via MSN to futurellama
Facebook icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Starlight

These are songs that need to be dropped and never played again. The ones in bold can be rotated in every once in a while, as long as Muse decide to start playing them properly again.
Starlight is fucking amazing, gtfo

the King wears a King hat and lives in a King House.
futurellama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #148
hipbones
Show me your teeth.

Quote:
Dee3Dee, get here now.

Need moar outro.

I know it's called, I just don't like the name lol. Dead Star rarely gets a play now so it's hardly something to write home about, you'd agree. Yeah as you say, outros are shit...I actually know what's coming at the end of every live track.

You are correct, and Musewiki might implode. lol.

Quote:

* Longer setlists

You are made of so much win it's ridic.
I agree with ALL of the above...and I swear I am pissed off already at the Aussie tour because I know we (ie: those not living there/attending these gigs) are going to get pwnd.

Mexit.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #149
OpenMinded

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipbones View Post
You are made of so much win it's ridic.
I agree with ALL of the above...and I swear I am pissed off already at the Aussie tour because I know we (ie: those not living there/attending these gigs) are going to get pwnd.
haha who knows we may not get anything special but yeah I <3 that muse <3's us... I dont want to get my hopes up but hopefully we do get something special with our tickets costing freaking 130
Each and considering the Aussie dollar is equal to the American almost it seems we are paying way to much. Hah anyways muse just need to give something new and different at each show... Everyone would be happy that way...maybe
Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #150
hipbones
Show me your teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenMinded View Post
haha who knows we may not get anything special but yeah I <3 that muse <3's us... I dont want to get my hopes up but hopefully we do get something special with our tickets costing freaking 130
Each and considering the Aussie dollar is equal to the American almost it seems we are paying way to much. Hah anyways muse just need to give something new and different at each show... Everyone would be happy that way...maybe
To be honest you should not have to pay 130 if it means you get rare tracks. You guise are being ripped off and rare songs shouldn't even come into it.
Anyway, money or not, we all deserve the same treatment...only we don't get it.

That said, Irish dates seem to get far better set lists than UK dates. Maybe they just hate the UK?

Mexit.

Tags
aac , announce , austrarities. , bliss , bye bye ce :( , bye bye good muse , carrieb lol , citizen erased , dallas , dont suck next tour , erased citizen erased , lol fuck you uk + usa , moar opinion bashing plz , official setlist beef , rainbows and smiles , sad idiot is sad , tour , u.s. , united states , yay back in black , you can't kill ce!