Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse > Gigs & Tours > Tours

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #811
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 22
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
I think thatís an overly-simplified way of describing their thought process. At the end of the day, I think they just wanna deliver what they think most people showing up to a gig wanna hear. Hence why songs specific to places show up (Resistance in the US, UD in Germany, probs more in others). Thatís a mindset I can completely understand tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena View Post
or stand there with their hands in their pockets because a song they don't recognize is being played.
This happens pretty often actually tbf, just look at almost any big gig where a rarity gets played.
__________________
Manchester (4.9.10) | Leeds (28.8.11) | Manchester (1.6.13) | Manchester (22.3.15) / Derby (13.6.15) / Manchester (9.4.16) / London (11.4.16) / London (12.4.16)
London (14.4.16) / London (15.4.16) / Paris (28.6.16)
| London (19.8.17) / Belfast (23.8.17) / Leeds (25.8.17) | London (3.12.18) / Prague (26.5.19) / London (1.6.19)
Bristol (5.6.19) / Manchester (8.6.19)
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #812
MusersAdvocate
Member
 
MusersAdvocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 March 2010
Location: New York
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
I think thatís an overly-simplified way of describing their thought process. At the end of the day, I think they just wanna deliver what they think most people showing up to a gig wanna hear. Hence why songs specific to places show up (Resistance in the US, UD in Germany, probs more in others). Thatís a mindset I can completely understand tbh.



This happens pretty often actually tbf, just look at almost any big gig where a rarity gets played.
I understand it, but it's still very narrow. I know its been discussed to no end, but Muse doesn't "owe" us anything when they play a show in terms of a set selection. It's definitely sure as hell considerate that they want to play songs that 95% of people will know, but it does lead to staleness tour to tour. Tonight is show 18 for me and I think I've seen the same core 15 songs at all regular tour shows.
__________________
2010: MSG, Nassau Coliseum
2013: United Center, Mohegan Sun, MSG x2, IZOD Center, Wells Fargo Center
2015: Webster Hall, iHeart Radio Theater
2016: Le Centre Videotron, Barclay's Arena, Prudential Center, Wells Fargo Center
2017: Bunbury Music Festival, Jones Beach Theater, Central Park
MusersAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:37 PM   #813
hyena
don't ask
 
hyena's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 November 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Deviant Art icon Twitter icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
This happens pretty often actually tbf, just look at almost any big gig where a rarity gets played.
The point is, it's not even a realistic observation. I mean, he doesn't even know what the reaction would be because they don't play those rarities enough to even find out. There is a bigger percentage of people at any given gig that don't know any songs off a new album and will have the same reaction, so "killing the energy" or whatever isn't an excuse either. Nothing killed the energy of a gig the way that NKOK did, yet they continued with that.

I mean, yeah maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the simplest explanation is just laziness. Play the generic radio hit setlist for the US, it gets good crowd reactions for the popular songs. It takes zero effort and they don't have to change anything up.

And I guess there just aren't enough people standing there with their hands in their pockets during Resistance the way I do, then.
hyena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #814
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 22
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena View Post
The point is, it's not even a realistic observation. I mean, he doesn't even know what the reaction would be because they don't play those rarities enough to even find out. There is a bigger percentage of people at any given gig that don't know any songs off a new album and will have the same reaction, so "killing the energy" or whatever isn't an excuse either. Nothing killed the energy of a gig the way that NKOK did, yet they continued with that.

I mean, yeah maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the simplest explanation is just laziness. Play the generic radio hit setlist for the US, it gets good crowd reactions for the popular songs. It takes zero effort and they don't have to change anything up.

And I guess there just aren't enough people standing there with their hands in their pockets during Resistance the way I do, then.
They arenít lazy, you donít book a schedule that busy, put that much thought into the production and look like your face is gonna pop for half the songs just to jump in a bus and travel to the next one if youíre a lazy live band. Saying it doesnít take effort to do what they do is just massively off the mark.

Theyíve played plenty of rarities at big gigs over the years and, while the level of reaction might vary in different places of the world, the majority of the crowd is usually not massively engaged (at least visually and audibally, which is what Muse feed off). Theyíre always gonna play the new songs regardless Ďcos thatís kinda the point of an album tour and I agree NKOK was a poor choice but it was used purely as a break for Matt, not in service of the crowd. Everything else is what they think people are coming to see them for, and theyíre right 90% of the time tbh. Even then, just about every tour, they still go to the effort of throwing the hardcores a bone every now and again with a Bliss or Sunburn or CE or Butterflies etc., depsite knowing itís really just for us.
__________________
Manchester (4.9.10) | Leeds (28.8.11) | Manchester (1.6.13) | Manchester (22.3.15) / Derby (13.6.15) / Manchester (9.4.16) / London (11.4.16) / London (12.4.16)
London (14.4.16) / London (15.4.16) / Paris (28.6.16)
| London (19.8.17) / Belfast (23.8.17) / Leeds (25.8.17) | London (3.12.18) / Prague (26.5.19) / London (1.6.19)
Bristol (5.6.19) / Manchester (8.6.19)
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #815
Kueller917
Funniest Muser 2013
 
Kueller917's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 April 2009
Location: Bay Area, US
Age: 24
Twitter icon You Tube icon SoundCloud icon
It's really sad honestly the fan favorites never get the same reaction.
__________________
2009/12/11 | 2010/04/14 | 2011/08/13 | 2013/01/28
2015/12/15 | 2015/12/18 | 2017/08/27 | 2017/09/15

Kueller917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #816
Nigel_Tufnel
Member
 
Nigel_Tufnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 February 2013
I've rarely seen more disengaged fans than when the band played The Globalist during the last tour and that consumed about 10% of their actual stage time for the whole show. Most of the people around me were just talking, especially during the quiet first section. I doubt that throwing in 4 minutes of Bliss, Muscle Museum or whatever could have been any worse for casual fans.

And what is the deal with all this talk from Matt about "choreography" of performers and dancers on the upcoming tour? Are they going full-on Spinal Tap here? All they might be missing is an animatronic shark for Matt to jump over.
__________________
13 March 2010 - The Palace of Auburn Hills, Michigan
12 October 2010 - Value City Arena, Columbus
3 August 2011 - Verizon Wireless Music Center, Indianapolis
2 March 2013 - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit
14 January 2016 - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit
Nigel_Tufnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #817
czuczu
Member
 
czuczu's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 June 2009
Remember them playing Ruled By Secrecy at Wembley in 2010 and the majority of the crowd talked through it, werent even interested in giving it a go - to the point they actually drowned out the song with chatter
__________________
25082001-26082006-21112006-16062007-12042008-13112009-11092010-27102012-18022013-25052013-23032015-12042016-19082017-03122018-01062019
czuczu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #818
hyena
don't ask
 
hyena's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 November 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Deviant Art icon Twitter icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
They arenít lazy, you donít book a schedule that busy, put that much thought into the production and look like your face is gonna pop for half the songs just to jump in a bus and travel to the next one if youíre a lazy live band. Saying it doesnít take effort to do what they do is just massively off the mark.
I didn't say that. I said that it's lazy to pull out a generic setlist in one country and never change it. I didn't say they don't put in physical effort or emotion. If I thought that, I'd quit going to gigs. It's just that, for whatever reason, the setlists here are 99% predictable, which is not a good thing for a band that has been around as long as they have. There is definitely a lack of...something...going on here.

Quote:
Even then, just about every tour, they still go to the effort of throwing the hardcores a bone every now and again with a Bliss or Sunburn or CE or Butterflies etc., depsite knowing itís really just for us.
We will not get any of those four at any US arena shows. I'd bet on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel_Tufnel View Post
I've rarely seen more disengaged fans than when the band played The Globalist during the last tour and that consumed about 10% of their actual stage time for the whole show. Most of the people around me were just talking, especially during the quiet first section. I doubt that throwing in 4 minutes of Bliss, Muscle Museum or whatever could have been any worse for casual fans.
This. I remember singing along with it and every once in a while getting broken out of my trance and looking around and nearly everyone around me (some on the barrier with me, some one row behind me) completely disengaged like they had no idea what was happening.
hyena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #819
Tjet
Most Annoying Muser 2011, 2015
Sluttiest Muser 2012
Sexiest Male Muser 2013
 
Tjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 25 December 2008
Age: 27
Facebook icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena View Post
I didn't say that. I said that it's lazy to pull out a generic setlist in one country and never change it. I didn't say they don't put in physical effort or emotion. If I thought that, I'd quit going to gigs. It's just that, for whatever reason, the setlists here are 99% predictable, which is not a good thing for a band that has been around as long as they have. There is definitely a lack of...something...going on here.
And his point is that since Muse aren't lazy in nearly any other regard as a live band, the lack of variety probably isn't due to laziness. It's not laziness that makes them rehearse a rarity to play for a couple of gigs in Europe or Asia and then drop it in the US. That's not how it works.

This "whatever reason" has been explained by Muse themselves several times. Trust me I think it's really stupid of them, but it's certainly not laziness. Matt has even complained after gigs in the US because they only react to the pop hits. What you said originally was that people wouldn't "stand there with their hands in their pockets because a song they don't recognize is being played", but that's exactly what the majority of the audience has done whenever a rarity has been played.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena View Post
We will not get any of those four at any US arena shows. I'd bet on that.
Probably not, no.
__________________
Tjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #820
Kueller917
Funniest Muser 2013
 
Kueller917's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 April 2009
Location: Bay Area, US
Age: 24
Twitter icon You Tube icon SoundCloud icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjet View Post
Trust me I think it's really stupid of them, but it's certainly not laziness.
This is my favorite summary.
__________________
2009/12/11 | 2010/04/14 | 2011/08/13 | 2013/01/28
2015/12/15 | 2015/12/18 | 2017/08/27 | 2017/09/15

Kueller917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #821
Kueller917
Funniest Muser 2013
 
Kueller917's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 April 2009
Location: Bay Area, US
Age: 24
Twitter icon You Tube icon SoundCloud icon
We know why they do it, and it is understandable to see the dead crowds from your perspective on the stage (has no one ever been in this position even in a classroom?), but it's a validation that's almost impossible to achieve at this point and it just hurts as a bigger fan.

The crowds in Europe are generally good. While Dead Star might be too rare nowadays there's still good excitement for the general sets. This is in stark contrast to the really large percentage of US crowds that will be immobile and unresponsive until Madness or Resistance or Uprising comes on (but it's mostly Madness honestly). It sucks for the band and it sucks for me as an audience member too because not only do the sets get cut down the atmosphere is magnitudes more dull.
__________________
2009/12/11 | 2010/04/14 | 2011/08/13 | 2013/01/28
2015/12/15 | 2015/12/18 | 2017/08/27 | 2017/09/15

Kueller917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #822
Tjet
Most Annoying Muser 2011, 2015
Sluttiest Muser 2012
Sexiest Male Muser 2013
 
Tjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 25 December 2008
Age: 27
Facebook icon
And I get why Muse won't do it but it still angers me that they won't just say "fuck it" and play the songs they wanna play until the crowd that is literally only there to hear 2 songs takes the hint and fucks off.

If they wanna play the biggest venues in the world by catering to the people who will start a phone conversation if a non-single is played, then they can't really complain about people's reactions.

Or, like I said in a more elaborate way in this old post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjet View Post
Because that brings me back to what I said last page or something, which is that they're simply choosing the wrong singles. Sure Madness, Undisclosed Desires, Mercy etc are a shortcut to stadium gigs. But if what Muse really wanna do is play the rock stuff, then they gotta promote that side of themselves. (Just to bring you up to speed, last tour Matt complained that the audience didn't know their songs so they were forced to play singles).

This is why I think the problem isn't just about "changing" as a band and growing older, because songs like The Handler, Psycho, Reapers, Supremacy, Animals, Liquid State etc aren't that different from their older stuff. The problem is that Muse are promoting themselves as a pop group, then they get disappointed when these new fans of Madness and Follow Me aren't reacting well to Stockholm Syndrome and New Born. Like...you can't have both. Either you (Muse) stand for being a pop group and just play the hits for as many years as you can, or you stop catering to people you don't enjoy playing for.
__________________
Tjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #823
Nigel_Tufnel
Member
 
Nigel_Tufnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjet View Post
And I get why Muse won't do it but it still angers me that they won't just say "fuck it" and play the songs they wanna play until the crowd that is literally only there to hear 2 songs takes the hint and fucks off.

If they wanna play the biggest venues in the world by catering to the people who will start a phone conversation if a non-single is played, then they can't really complain about people's reactions.
Agree with all of this. I was going to say that their choice of venues factors into the problem. Because Muse plays arenas in the US that often outsize their popularity, they end up with a lot of casual fans who don't know anything but the more recent singles. If they played smaller concert halls and the tickets took more effort to obtain, you'd have a bigger concentration of hard core fans. I guess there's more money to be made in playing a half-full arena than a sold-out hall/auditorium/theatre.

The flip side is that maybe they are playing the songs that they want to play. In that case, we should all fuck off.
__________________
13 March 2010 - The Palace of Auburn Hills, Michigan
12 October 2010 - Value City Arena, Columbus
3 August 2011 - Verizon Wireless Music Center, Indianapolis
2 March 2013 - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit
14 January 2016 - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit
Nigel_Tufnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #824
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 22
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena View Post
I didn't say that. I said that it's lazy to pull out a generic setlist in one country and never change it. I didn't say they don't put in physical effort or emotion. If I thought that, I'd quit going to gigs. It's just that, for whatever reason, the setlists here are 99% predictable, which is not a good thing for a band that has been around as long as they have. There is definitely a lack of...something...going on here.
No but when you say that you think there’s an element of their touring that they do in a certain way because it doesn’t take any effort, I’m saying that doesn’t really fall in line with every other aspect of their touring so I’m pretty sure it’s down to something else. Which is also backed up by the fact that, like Tjet said, they’ve actively explained why they do it before.

The setlists just about everywhere are mostly predictable to me, it’s just the ones with 1/2 fan favourites happen less often over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena View Post
We will not get any of those four at any US arena shows. I'd bet on that.
The US arena and amphitheatre tours last era got all of them (minus Sunburn) plus TAB, Map and AP. T2L’s US arenas had Butterflies, Map, Bliss, Sunburn, Fury, Agitated, New Born and NSC (not a fan favourite but v rare). Even for TR, which was notoriously lacking in variation, there was RBS, CE and Bliss. They could break pattern next tour, sure, but there’s nothing to suggest it based on past evidence.

Edit: though if I was them and I read half the stuff they do from the people they occasionally play these songs for (not singling out you btw) about how they hate fans, don’t care or put in effort etc, I’d wonder why bother playing any at all tbh. They aren’t blowing the competition away with this stuff but, tbh, there’s nothing saying they have to and they do more than a lot of other bands, who would just play exactly the same set night after night. I think they deserve more credit if anything.
__________________
Manchester (4.9.10) | Leeds (28.8.11) | Manchester (1.6.13) | Manchester (22.3.15) / Derby (13.6.15) / Manchester (9.4.16) / London (11.4.16) / London (12.4.16)
London (14.4.16) / London (15.4.16) / Paris (28.6.16)
| London (19.8.17) / Belfast (23.8.17) / Leeds (25.8.17) | London (3.12.18) / Prague (26.5.19) / London (1.6.19)
Bristol (5.6.19) / Manchester (8.6.19)

Last edited by Jobby; 06-12-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #825
Tjet
Most Annoying Muser 2011, 2015
Sluttiest Muser 2012
Sexiest Male Muser 2013
 
Tjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 25 December 2008
Age: 27
Facebook icon
Yeah I wouldn't mind that much if they actually played the songs they wanna play but during the Drones tour it became clear Muse actually wanted to play songs like Reapers, but didn't enjoy the audience reaction so they became more hesitant to do so.
__________________
Tjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
needs more dig down , needs more setlist beef


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
Bs
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Album: Simulation Theory Claudia O. Songs & Releases 5507 09-12-2018 01:23 PM
Simulation Theory KirkBot News 7 01-09-2018 02:41 PM
Drones General Tour Discussion Thread L. Tours 6018 19-12-2016 06:27 PM
The 2nd Law General Tour Discussion - 2(nd night) fabripav Tours 9998 20-04-2014 09:11 PM
The Resistance Tour Discussion Thread Max Tours 9826 12-07-2010 06:20 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)