Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse > Gigs & Tours > Tours

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 15-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #646
UnintendedFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kueller917 View Post
I didn't really mind once Muse came on. Anyways, the worst of the crushing crowds and asshole-ish people for me was during the Black Keys and waiting for Muse. After Uprising it really calmed down and most people had a blast (of course there were still a few negatives, like wewanthecup's story).
The second "Best" in B&H when Matt throws his hand up after the drum fill is pretty much my favorite moment in the whole Muse discography, and I've waited years to see that moment live. Needless to say I think being there was still well worth it to see Muse.

I didn't know about Black Keys before, and still don't like their type of music, but they were SO GOOD live that I will spend time getting to know their stuff. They were so into their music that it was simply contagious. But I'll remember to stay away from their segment of rough fans if I ever see them again!
UnintendedFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #647
Killer Rabbit
No ordinary rabbit

What to say about last night?

Well, to start things off, it was awesome. I feel it was worth the pain I'm felling right now.

I was on the main barrier, on the left side. I managed to get a spot more centrally located and not in front of any lasers or video screens like at L.A. Rising. The part of the barrier I was on was full of Musers, A lot were hardcore, but there were a few n00blets as well. The girl on my left saw Muse in '09 at Not So Silent Night in Oakland, but somehow missed their Resistance Tour, so the festival was only her second time seeing them. She had a group of friends with her who were all Muse live virgins, but had done their homework on the band. I guess this is the time to mention here that apparently she had informed her friends that they would be playing through all of Origin at OSL. When I politely informed them that that was only for England, they all turned on her and started deferring to me for Muse information.

I'm not going to say much about the other bands, except that from OK Go onwards the crowd got unnecessarily rough. It was a bitch being at the barrier. I know for a fact that from the first act to Muse, I was moved along the barrier towards my right. I know this had to have sucked for my fellow Musers on barrier at my right, but it moved me a few inches more central, which gave me a great spot for the band.

What can I say about Muse that hasn't been said already? I guess the one thing I can say is that they earned the restoration of my faith in them to be kick ass. While I'm sure some will bitch that this was just the Lolla set transposed to S.F., I don't really give a shit. The show was excellent and all the songs sounded good, Yes, even GL was tolerable and it really isn't that bad live. It is much more enjoyable in person than on the album.

Citizen fucking Erased! I finally got to hear CE live and I freaked the fuck out. I was looking for the 7 string during the set up, but didn't see it, which lead to a little bit of a pre-Muse depression because I thought that I wouldn't get to hear it, yet again, before R/L. After GL, when they brought out the guitar, I just shouted out "CITIZEN ERASED!!" and "OH MY GOD! CITIZEN ERASED!!" before they started playing. I was in front of Matt and I don't know if he heard me, but I swear I saw a little bit of a smile cross his lips.

My voice was going at this point, but I guess the spirit of the song possessed me, because I was singing along with it and freaking the fuck out. It was PERFECT. The sound was perfect, and Matt played it perfect. All of the little bits of guitar work that I love on the album were there, and it was just pure magic. When it got to the slow part before the end, the tears started coming. When Matt played the outro on the piano, they just came full on, and by the end of the song, I was crying so hard that a little bit of snot was starting to run out of my nose. I was in a state of pure happiness throughout the rest of the show and leaving the park. The hell of waiting at the barrier and being bumped and bruised was made worth it because of that one song.

Other things about last night:

- I finally got to see the man, the myth: Tom Kirk. When Black Keys were going, a guy with a little bit of beard stubble and shades walked in front of me. He looked like Tom but I wasn't quite sure, and I turned to the Muser on my right and said "I think that was Kirk" and she said "Yeah, I think it was too". Before Muse came on, this same guy walked in front of me, this time without the sunglasses and it was him. I shouted out "Hey Tom!" and he turned, saw me, pointed and said "Hey!" and kept on walking.

- During MotP, Matt clearly said "I can't get it right since I lost you" during the second pre-chorus. This was my third time seeing the song live and it was the first time I've heard him sing it that way live.

- The way the stage was set up and the barrier placed, this was the closest I have ever been to the band. I think it was closer than L.A. Rising, and that was closer than Sacramento. They were performing just inches from me. The only way I could have been closer to them is if they were performing in my living room. I know that I made eye contact with Matt and I'll swear that at some moments he pointed at me. It was awesome.

- When leaving the park, some people said "we saw you on the screen". Apparently, I was so busy freaking the fuck out and having a great time, that I was on the giant screen and didn't even notice.

- I also just missed out on getting one of the setlists and one of the guitar picks that Matt threw into the crowd. The sets went the people further right of me along the barrier, and the security guy gave one of the picks to the girl on my left (the n00blet I mentioned earlier). I guess you have to have tits to get Muse swag. Moobs don't count.

All in all, I had a great time. It was nice getting to hang out with fellow boardies for part of the day on Friday and getting to meet up with them pre and post show. I have to say that Musers are some of the nicest people I've ever had the fortune to meet. I can't wait to see some them again in England in a little under two weeks.

Between Muse last night, and Phish on Friday, I got my $200 worth.

Keeper of: The "surf rock" slide from "Resistance"

Last edited by Killer Rabbit; 15-08-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Killer Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 03:25 AM   #648
OhMyGoodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_of_Me View Post
What to say about last night?

- I finally got to see the man, the myth: Tom Kirk. When Black Keys were going, a guy with a little bit of beard stubble and shades walked in front of me. He looked like Tom but I wasn't quite sure, and I turned to the Muser on my right and said "I think that was Kirk" and she said "Yeah, I think it was too". Before Muse came on, this same guy walked in front of me, this time without the sunglasses and it was him. I shouted out "Hey Tom!" and he turned, saw me, pointed and said "Hey!" and kept on walking.
I saw Tom too! It was during the Black Keys and I was a little farther back next to the soundbooth. At first I kept staring, because I wasn't really sure if it was him. I was too shy to call out to him
But eventually he saw me staring and he gave a little smile. Totally made my day.
OhMyGoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 03:32 AM   #649
Kueller917
Funniest Muser 2013

Twitter icon You Tube icon SoundCloud icon
I kinda wish I had gotten barrier. Sure it would've been rough, but I at least being able to hold onto something would keep me from getting pushed away. I'll go for it next time Muse plays in the area in a few years. At least I know for their main concerts the crowd's aren't so rough.

Kueller917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #650
ferrante9

Muse should have started the set late, not on time. Guiding Light killed it.......that's not a good number to do live. They could have easily fit in 22 songs if they only would stop with all the stupid interludes and stupid jam after each song.......

the crowd at 50 yards from the stage was so so. some were true fans, some were just there just to be there.

highlight of the show? a large number of hot chicks smoking pot.
ferrante9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #651
polythenelucy
Barrier Cheerleader

Send a message via AIM to polythenelucy
Flickr icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrante9 View Post
Muse should have started the set late, not on time. Guiding Light killed it.......that's not a good number to do live. They could have easily fit in 22 songs if they only would stop with all the stupid interludes and stupid jam after each song.......

the crowd at 50 yards from the stage was so so. some were true fans, some were just there just to be there.

...Thanks for the insightful review

The gig was AMAZING I'll post a review soon!
polythenelucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #652
ferrante9

The Gig was okay. The sound was horrible. Not loud at all. The boys should hire a new sound man. You couldn't hear a darn thing unless you were right in front of the stage. What's up with increasing and decreasing the volume during songs???? I was very disappointed in the sound.....it could have been a legendary set, but the sound killed it . Also, Guiding LIght???? are they crazy????? they totally jumped the shark with Guiding Light. Matt shouldn't be worry to show off his piano skills too much....He could do 10 years from now, when he might not have the stamina to do the things he could do on stage now....so sitting at the piano and show off his skills would be great then. However, now, he should just stick to straight rock /rock and roll numbers.

Instead of guiding light, the piano song should have been I belong to you.

Map was played too early in the set.......

Too many unnecessary interludes and jam........they should have played at least 5 more songs instead of during interludes and jam.

As of right now, Muse are tied with Franz Ferdinand for my 5th favorite band, but I am starting to think that Franz Ferdinand might be better live than muse.

Guiding Light is a horrible song live........!!!! the studio version is mediocre.....but live......it just doesn't go anywhere.

On the flip side....Muse fans are good looking...which is always a plus.
The should add another guitarist.......it's hard to recreate all those sounds life with just 3 guys......and a fill in keyboard player.
Old 15-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #653
Kueller917
Funniest Muser 2013

Quote:

I saw a group of guys who were doing pot, LSD, and Shrooms at the same time. I decided to move away from them. And I think they could still fit more songs even without the jams. Anyways, Stockholm was fun with the outros.

Quote:
The Gig was okay. The sound was horrible. Not loud at all. The boys should hire a new sound man. You couldn't hear a darn thing unless you were right in front of the stage. What's up with increasing and decreasing the volume during songs???? I was very disappointed in the sound.....it could have been a legendary set, but the sound killed it . Also, Guiding LIght???? are they crazy????? they totally jumped the shark with Guiding Light. Matt shouldn't be worry to show off his piano skills too much....He could do 10 years from now, when he might not have the stamina to do the things he could do on stage now....so sitting at the piano and show off his skills would be great then. However, now, he should just stick to straight rock /rock and roll numbers.

Too many unnecessary interludes and jam........they should have played at least 5 more songs instead of during interludes and jam.

As of right now, Muse are tied with Franz Ferdinand for my 5th favorite band, but I am starting to think that Franz Ferdinand might be better live than muse.

Guiding Light is a horrible song live........!!!! the studio version is mediocre.....but live......it just doesn't go anywhere.

The should add another guitarist.......it's hard to recreate all those sounds life with just 3 guys......and a fill in keyboard player.
I also about the sound, and changing volumes between songs. But I don't think it was that bad. Plus, even on this board I don't think I've seen that much Guiding Light hate in one post, it's not even a piano song.

Old 15-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #654
polythenelucy
Barrier Cheerleader

Send a message via AIM to polythenelucy
Flickr icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Quote:

Ok clearly you were disappointed, I got that. The gig wasn't THAT horrible though. Too many "unnecessary" jams?!?! I love the jams!!!!!!! Guiding light sucks but cmon we got CE, B&H, and MotP. Speaking of maps, why dyou think it was played to early? Lots of complaints but little reasoning for them... IMO, guiding light is not their absolute worst song. And they have Morgan on the keyboard.

hope you wake up on the right side of the bed this morning.

Last edited by polythenelucy; 15-08-2011 at 09:13 AM.
polythenelucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #655
Clunge
Vagina Doom

Ferrante is my new favourite poster .

I love how divisive Muse are even between their own fans, let alone critics!
Old 15-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #656
We Want The Cup

Send a message via AIM to We Want The Cup
Facebook icon Twitter icon You Tube icon
The changing volumes of the sound is AWESOME... when the crowd isn't a bunch of clowns that talk and yell unnecessarily during the quieter parts... example is Indiana where it worked GREAT (smaller venue helped too).

But for the most part it doesn't work well, LA Rising, OSL, it just didn't work, because the volume was too quiet. But don't blame the sound guy, I am pretty sure you aren't allowed to go higher than a certain decibel level at a festival where there are other stages.
2010: (MSG, NY 3/5) (Seattle 4/2)(Oakland 4/14)
2010: (Wembley 9/10 AND 9/11)
2010: (San Diego 9/22)(Anaheim 9/23)(LA 9/25 AND 9/26)
2010: (Sacramento 9/28)(Long Island 10/23)(New Jersey 10/24)
We Want The Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #657
Killer Rabbit
No ordinary rabbit

I will say, the best part of OSL wasn't Muse.

The best part was walking around on Friday, looking at people in costume. I saw Gumby and Waldo, but what takes the cake is seeing the Pink Panther light up a bong right in the middle of the park.

Keeper of: The "surf rock" slide from "Resistance"
Killer Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #658
Ryoma-kun

An awesome CE, really.
Ryoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #659
ferrante9

Quote:
Originally Posted by polythenelucy View Post
Ok clearly you were disappointed, I got that. The gig wasn't THAT horrible though. Too many "unnecessary" jams?!?! I love the jams!!!!!!! Guiding light sucks but cmon we got CE, B&H, and MotP. Speaking of maps, why dyou think it was played to early? Lots of complaints but little reasoning for them... IMO, guiding light is not their absolute worst song. And they have Morgan on the keyboard.

hope you wake up on the right side of the bed this morning.
I wasn't disappointed, I was just angry because the set could have been so much better. The volume was too low for a rock show .... Have you ever been to a Paul mccartney's concert, or u2, or the rolling stones???? The sound at those concerts are just out of control....crisp and clear and loud!!! Like it 's supposed to be.
When Paul McCartney played at Coachella, you could hear the show from the parking lot like if you were in front of the stage.
So, muse should get rid of the soundguy.....He sucks!!!!

I don't like the fact that muse use click track ....

Map should have been played towards the end of the set....
After guiding light , half of the crowd had fallen asleep by then....map would have woken them up.....instead they play Eurasia ....putting a lot the people in a coma....
They woke up during time is running out....but I say map should have been stuck right after guiding or Eurasia .

Because they only play 15 to 17 songs, they can't afford to waste songs and play guiding light. If they played a set of 36 songs , like Paul McCartney does, then, having guiding light in the set wouldn't be such a bog deal....but when you only play 15 songs....it's no buenos Dias.

I am sure that we all rather have 5 more songs in place of unnecessary jams and interludes...admit it!!!
Old 15-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #660
Kueller917
Funniest Muser 2013

Quote:
I wasn't disappointed, I was just angry because the set could have been so much better. The volume was too low for a rock show .... Have you ever been to a Paul mccartney's concert, or u2, or the rolling stones???? The sound at those concerts are just out of control....crisp and clear and loud!!! Like it 's supposed to be.
When Paul McCartney played at Coachella, you could hear the show from the parking lot like if you were in front of the stage.
So, muse should get rid of the soundguy.....He sucks!!!!

I don't like the fact that muse use click track ....

Map should have been played towards the end of the set....
After guiding light , half of the crowd had fallen asleep by then....map would have woken them up.....instead they play Eurasia ....putting a lot the people in a coma....
They woke up during time is running out....but I say map should have been stuck right after guiding or Eurasia .

Because they only play 15 to 17 songs, they can't afford to waste songs and play guiding light. If they played a set of 36 songs , like Paul McCartney does, then, having guiding light in the set wouldn't be such a bog deal....but when you only play 15 songs....it's no buenos Dias.

I am sure that we all rather have 5 more songs in place of unnecessary jams and interludes...admit it!!!
There are people living right next to the park. I'm sure they're the reason why the sound had to be controlled. Also why the music ended at 10 where some go on until 1 in the morning. Plus U2 only does stadiums, I think that allows louder volumes.
Click tracks are unavoidable at this point. They'd sound the same without them anyways.
And for me at least, I'd say Citizen Erased was the best way to wake up after Guiding Light.

Tags
#deadstarforosl , #furyforol , #glforol , #nisheforol , #nscforol , #oosforosl , #udforol , #ufoforosl , #uprisingforol , bring baby wipes , phish , the arcade fire , the black keys , wilson - duke of lizards