Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse > Gigs & Tours > Gigs

Old 20-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #61
Shamari

Facebook icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkscrewed View Post
They didn't play Resistance at last night's show, which I think is the first time that's happened this tour! Replaced it with Map. I approve of that move.
Me too! Map is awesome and even more live!
Shamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #62
PeedgeMcDuck

Where is the spot to go after the show?

Me and 3 other gents will be coming up from Halifax for this show, but we don't want the show to be the end of the night.

Thanks!
PeedgeMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 02:06 AM   #63
Shamari

Facebook icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeedgeMcDuck View Post

Me and 3 other gents will be coming up from Halifax for this show, but we don't want the show to be the end of the night.

Thanks!
The Grande Allée is definitely the place to go. Lined up with great restaurants and bars, you can hop from one to another all night long. The food is to die for, the ambiance is very nice and be prepared to go to bed quite late. Famous bars include the Dagobert, Maurice, Pub St-Patrick and Pub Dorsay, to name a few.

Go the this Web site : https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...ty_Quebec.html)

Or this one : http://www.quebecregion.com/en/quebe.../grande-allee/

Enjoy you stay!
Old 21-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #64
PeedgeMcDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamari View Post
The Grande Allée is definitely the place to go. Lined up with great restaurants and bars, you can hop from one to another all night long. The food is to die for, the ambiance is very nice and be prepared to go to bed quite late. Famous bars include the Dagobert, Maurice, Pub St-Patrick and Pub Dorsay, to name a few.

Go the this Web site : https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...ty_Quebec.html)

Or this one : http://www.quebecregion.com/en/quebe.../grande-allee/

Enjoy you stay!
Perfect!
Thank you!
Old 21-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #65
Legrosbob

Since the twitter requests seem to work (they played Citizen in Toronto and Bliss in Montreal, we'll see if they play Citizen tonight), why not do it again for Quebec City?

We could try with New Born, since it's been notably absent from the tour and it would fit nicely in the OoS slot. We can tweet @glenrowe, @nowherethomas and @mattbellamy with the hashtag #NewBorn4Quebec

Thanks!
Legrosbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 12:29 AM   #66
timberley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legrosbob View Post
Since the twitter requests seem to work (they played Citizen in Toronto and Bliss in Montreal, we'll see if they play Citizen tonight), why not do it again for Quebec City?

We could try with New Born, since it's been notably absent from the tour and it would fit nicely in the OoS slot. We can tweet @glenrowe, @nowherethomas and @mattbellamy with the hashtag #NewBorn4Quebec

Thanks!
I definitely support doing a campaign like this, but if it is actually working, why not try something more interesting? I know New Born is a great song and hasn't shown up this tour, but it's a long stretch to consider it much of a rarity in the grander scheme of things.

I'd much rather have either Bliss or CE (granted I am biased, having never seen either of those two yet, and really *really* hoping for either one!)

But since they seem to like Quebec (both Montreal and QC City), why not try something more adventurous that would be a really huge treat? How about #Fury4Quebec, or #Assassin4Quebec?? Either of those would be much more exciting rarities, and fall within the realm of stuff they have actually played in recent time and we might have a chance at.
January 23, 2016 - Centre Videotron, Quebec City
July 15, 2017 - Bluesfest, Ottawa
July 18, 2017 - Budweiser Stage, Toronto

March 30, 2019 - Bell Centre, Montreal
timberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 12:32 AM   #67
timberley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeedgeMcDuck View Post

Thanks!
Awesome, more Halifax representation! My gf and I are coming up from Hali too Super pumped for the show!

Old 22-01-2016, 01:53 AM   #68
Corkscrewed
Slightly Twisted

Twitter icon
Setlist says they tacked on a RATM "Freedom" outro to the end of Reapers last night. Supposedly, same in Detroit. That's pretty cool if they're throwing more riffs back in, tho woulda been nice on the west coast...
Old 22-01-2016, 02:27 AM   #69
timberley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkscrewed View Post
Setlist says they tacked on a RATM "Freedom" outro to the end of Reapers last night. Supposedly, same in Detroit. That's pretty cool if they're throwing more riffs back in, tho woulda been nice on the west coast...
That's most likely an error. Since the end of Reapers is so similar to Freedom, someone probably mistakenly entered it (and people on setlist.fm tend to copy stuff from one gig to the next, perpetuating errors). Would seem a bit redundant....

They have brought back a couple of riffs in the last few gigs though, including Heartbreaker (after Hysteria) and Maggie's Farm (with MotP), which is awesome!

Old 22-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #70
Corkscrewed
Slightly Twisted

Twitter icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberley View Post
That's most likely an error. Since the end of Reapers is so similar to Freedom, someone probably mistakenly entered it (and people on setlist.fm tend to copy stuff from one gig to the next, perpetuating errors). Would seem a bit redundant....

They have brought back a couple of riffs in the last few gigs though, including Heartbreaker (after Hysteria) and Maggie's Farm (with MotP), which is awesome!
That's what I figured. I searched YT vids for the Detroit show and couldn't find any actual riffs.

Also congrats Montreal tonight on getting CE after all. lol
Old 22-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #71
Shamari

Facebook icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberley View Post
I definitely support doing a campaign like this, but if it is actually working, why not try something more interesting? I know New Born is a great song and hasn't shown up this tour, but it's a long stretch to consider it much of a rarity in the grander scheme of things.

I'd much rather have either Bliss or CE (granted I am biased, having never seen either of those two yet, and really *really* hoping for either one!)

But since they seem to like Quebec (both Montreal and QC City), why not try something more adventurous that would be a really huge treat? How about #Fury4Quebec, or #Assassin4Quebec?? Either of those would be much more exciting rarities, and fall within the realm of stuff they have actually played in recent time and we might have a chance at.
Totally agree with Bliss, CE, Assassin or Fury. I haven't seen any of these songs live yet and that would definitely make my night!
Old 23-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #72
PeedgeMcDuck

Sitting in Couchon Dingue...

Can anyone tell me what security check was like on the way in at the first quebec show?
Old 26-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #73
timberley

Post-show thoughts

So I'm back to Halifax and settled after the weekend in Québec, so I thought I'd take a moment and share my thoughts on the show. This was the only show I was able to go to this tour, as the mid-week shows in Montreal would require more time off work than I could afford to take. The Saturday worked very well, and after the weekend I'm really glad we went to Québec this time. Beautiful city, wonderful people, and a great show!

Here are some thoughts, broken up by category (for your reading convenience )

The Venue

First of all, the new Centre Videotron is gorgeous. You can tell it's a brand new and modern venue, and a lot of thought went into its design. Very well thought out. Inside the seating was such that nothing feels far away from the stage at all, and it's very open and well laid out. We were in seats (Section 101 Row MM), and found them very easy to find and get in and out of. Also quite easy to get to the centre by bus from the hotel we were staying at in the old city. We showed up a bit before doors open to pick up out tickets, and there was a huge crowd. Everyone had to go through metal detectors and it was a bit chaotic, but the way they did it meant that almost everyone was able to wait inside. I don't know how GA worked, as we had seats.

X Ambassadors

I'm not a big fan, though I do like a few songs. They put on a good performance though, and the crowd was quite receptive. During one slower song some people started waving their phone lights in the air, and soon the entire venue was lit up with lights - you would have sworn they were the feature act, I've never seen such engagement with an opening act before. When the played Renegades, it was almost like a switch flipped (that moment a bunch of people went "oh hey, I do know this band...") A few people in our section were even up and dancing around, and they had a good singalong. Overall I'm not a convert to their sound, but was impressed by their talent.

The Show: Stage/Lights

Now on to Muse. It was pretty cool to finally see the 360 stage in person. Overall I thought it was pretty impressive. Not my favourite of theirs, but I think it actually worked very well. Even about 3/4 of the way up in the lower bowl we only felt a stone's throw away from the stage, and I can't imagine there was a seat in the building where you wouldn't feel close. The only seats that would really be lousy are on the ends, where you'd miss out on the projections on the curtains. We were in Section 101 right centred on the side, so we had about the best view you could ask for. No complaints at all in that regard.

The visuals were pretty cool, especially the projections on the curtains. The Handler was a real standout with the "strings" from the puppeteer, and the Globalist was pretty stunning. There were some cool new visuals too, though overall I found that the last 2 tours did better in that regard. The stage looked quite a bit darker, and though there were some amazing lights as always, it wasn't quite as impressive as the T2L pyramid. And no lasers, boo!

However, the lighted elements in the floor of the circular centre stage were awesome, and the rotation of the stage was great. The band also did a surprisingly good job of moving all over the place throughout the show, so I never got that staring-at-their-backs feeling.

The Show: The Drones

Man oh man, were those ever cool! They all worked properly for us (though some of the lights on a couple of them looked like they weren't on), and were probably the highlight of the new setup. It was just so neat to watch them rise up from their little nests up top and fly down in sync, to eventually make their way back home. Very impressive stuff. The Reaper drone during the Globalist was pretty cool too, if a little silly.

I can see what a big disappointment it must have been for shows where the drones didn't work.

The Show: Setlist and Performance

As usual, the show itself was great. I definitely have my qualms with the current setlists, but we did fairly well at this show. I was so happy when Bliss started - I realized that's what it would be the second Matt started fiddling with his guitar before, and screamed "BLISS!!" The guy next to me gave sort of a weird look, then as the song actually started he was like "oh sweet, Bliss!" I was thrilled to hear something new (besides the new songs), and Bliss is a fantastic live song. Would have loved CE of course, but given what they've been doing at some other shows, I won't complain.

Having Map as well was awesome, sounded as phenomenal as ever. It's one of my favourites, so always happy to hear it. It was a little strange though, because we got the Heartbreaker riff after TiRO (before Back in Black), and so I was really expecting Maggie's Farm after Map - then Matt started into Who Knows Who, which is basically the same thing again downtuned. Looking at the guys I got the feeling Matt might have just sort of started into it without thinking about it, and then they were like "well okay then, go with it!"

Prelude into Starlight is such a tease. I had warned my girlfriend about it (though she thinks Survival is a terrible song, she absolutely loved it live last tour), but I could tell a bunch of people in the crowd expected Survival. The guy next to me actually turned to me and was like "yeeeah, Survival!!!" I didn't have the heart to tell him he was about to be crushingly disappointed. When Starlight started he seemed stunned, then turned back and said "what a tease!". I think he sat down half way through it.

I was disappointed that we wouldn't get AP, but I still like USoE quite a bit, and it was a lot of fun. Sets still need a second proper piano song.

Resistance replacing UD was a solid move. I like Resistance, and though I love UD on the album, live it is just pretty weak and uninteresting.

My single biggest fear this show was that they'd drop Reapers because they played it at Québec night 1, and they seem to be rotating it with Revolt. So when JFK came on it was a very tense wait.... I actually for a moment thought they just might break out Defector (which would have been acceptable). So I was pretty relieved when the opening scratches of Reapers started.

Overall really good performance. The sound in the venue was excellent, and everything sounded good (except maybe some parts of Mercy that just sounded all muddled). Lot of energy from the band, and I can't fault their performance. Not too much overdramatic stuff from Matt, and good to see him on guitar for most of the set (just off for starlight and the first part of Uprising, both of which seem so pointless)

Thoughts on the new album songs:
Dead Inside: Fantastic, really good punch from the bass/drums, and just sounded great. Much more impressive in person than live recordings I'd listened to.
Psycho: Glad they didn't bother with the drill sergeant bit. Crowd seemed really into this song, and just a lot of fun live - Matt's starting to do a bit more improvising (some harmonics stuff) through a few parts, which is making it more interesting.
Mercy: Just okay. Streamers and confetti were really cool though, looked stunning.
Reapers: Phenomenal live song, so much fun. I really feel bad for people who missed it at their shows, and can't fathom why the band would drop it. Especially with the lack of some heavier songs in these sets, the heavy parts of Reapers are really welcome.
The Handler: In a word - AMAZING. Definitely the best of the new songs, and just an absolute beast live. My girlfriend and I agreed that it was the highlight of the set, not just the new songs. Visuals were fantastic too.
JFK: Seriously, they need to start playing Defector and use this for that. It would be a cool build-up, but instead I felt filled with dread at the prospect of hearing that damn siren and the start of Revolt, knowing that it would mean no Reapers.
The Globalist: Really great song. My biggest disappointment during this was the crowd - people seemed to have no attention span for the first part, and just talked over it. Lots of people in the stands sat down, and only sort of got back into it for the heavy part, then out again for the piano part. It's a shame, because it was really beautiful, and well performed. I noticed that while Matt was playing the slide guitar, Chris was actually playing the rythm/acoustic guitar part, while Morgan played bass for the first section. Chris went back over and grabbed his bass for the heavy part.
Drones: I love this song, no matter what people say about it. Opening with it and the floating drones was actually amazing, and seemed to work really well. Coming back to it after the Globalist felt a bit redundant (seemed like a lot of the crowd felt that way too), but the visuals during the second time were quite beautiful. Perhaps a truncated version of it would work better.

The older stuff sounded mostly good. Highlights were Bliss and Map, SMBH is still a lot of fun (though I don't like the phaser on the kaoss solo), and even Starlight was fun despite a weaker performance.

The Show: Crowd

Mixed feelings on the crowd. Definitely not as energetic as Montreal was last tour, but still pretty good. Everyone in the stands (at least lower bowl) was standing, and lots of people around us were getting really into it. Good singalong when Matt put the mic to the crowd for TiRO, Starlight and part of Uprising, but nothing more (no singing the riff in Knights or anything like that). Crowd definitely had a lot of middle-aged folks (and I even saw one guy who looked to be in his '60s or so....awesome guy!)

We were between people from opposite ends of the fanbase. On my right was another hardcore fan, who as I said got pumped for Bliss, and got really into every song but Starlight and Madness. On my girlfriend's left was a girl who seemed to know the biggest hits and nothing else.

Sadly, the biggest crowd response (by a fair margin) of the night was still Madness, though people did seem really pumped about everything (expect the Globalist).

Overall Thoughts

Overall, it was a great show. Pretty good set by this tour's standards, great performance from the band, and a very good looking show. Several of the new songs are fantastic, and I hope they stick around to future tours.

I do agree with a lot of the negative comments around here about this tour (set is too short, song choices could be better, VIP getting barrier is nonsense, poorly promoted tour, etc.) but I still think it was worth the trip to see. Such a fun night!

Venue was excellent, and we had an absolute blast in Québec. I think we both agreed that we'd love to go back there for future shows, Muse or otherwise!

Old 26-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #74
jetcap

Glad you made it back, hope weather didn’t make journey too tough on the trip. Was wondering if anybody was going to post anything on the show. Hope you don’t mind, just going to piggyback on your comments with a few thoughts of my own, keeping te same format. Cheers.

The Venue

My seats were very close to yours, one section over and 3 rows up. It is indeed a nice venue. Not as steep as most arenas and like the way you exit straight onto the concourse as opposed to go thru tunnel…also like the way they draw curtains to black out lights from concession stands. Even the upper deck seemed nice, you can barely see it in Montreal but here it seemed not too bad up there with great site lines, good to know if they get their NHL team.

X Ambassadors

Like you, not a big fan, but they were a lot better than they were in Montreal. Sound was better and crowd more into it. For life of me, don’t know why if you get a reaction from a crowd, you don’t try to encourage it more. When people started turning on their phones, encourage everybody to do it…engage the crowd, demand EVEYONE turn on their phones!! Allons-y Quebec! Anyway, was dreading their set, but was much more tolerable 2nd time round.

The Show: Stage/Lights

I saw Montreal show and was about 5 rows up, felt I could lean over and high five Matt. Here I was much further up but you got a better visual perspective of the show…the screens, the drones, the big picture.

We sat on opposite side of arena as Montreal and there is very little to choose from. On one side you get Matt for Handler, this time got Chris, but other than that they didn’t discriminate one side in favour of the other.

The Show: The Drones

Vantage point seemed better than Montreal to really appreciate Drones plus they seemed to be working better. Montreal they seemed to be doing their best just to stay afloat and some were recalled. Here they seemed more sinister, venturing out then aligning themselves in a perfect line. Reaper drone did 1-1/2 laps in Quebec, at pretty fast pace, only lasted a lap in Montreal.

The Show: Setlist and Performance

I got my setlist in Montreal. Bliss, Map, and Apocalypse Please so I was content with anything they were going to offer up. There is only one piano song other than Gloabalist and AP was replaced by United States/Eurasia which crowd around me really got off on. I was noticing radio in Quebec seems to really like over the top dramatic songs to point of ridiculous and this entered that vein. Given the choice, I’d prefer AP, but since I’d seen it 3 nights previous, I quite liked this.

One thing that shocked me was no Undisclosed Desires. Only because it is performed with Dom coming out from behind his kit and performing on runway standing up with electronic drum. Figured this would be one element of show that would be constant. And while not my favourite, was strong performance in Montreal.

Another add was Resistance. GF loved it as did most of the crowd. I believe Quebec is a more ‘hits’ driven crowd and loved hearing this.

No problem hearing Reapers again. My fear was same as yours, Reapers is such a great live song and sorry, really don’t like Revolt. Not against them playing it, but not at expense of Reapers. That being said, surprise they’re not pushing Revolt more as it was their last single.

And with Reapers finally saw Matt trash a guitar. Kicked it from center-stage all the way up the ramp to his outpost. Once he got back, started tossing it up in the air and having it crash down at center stage. First throw I was shocked at how he didn’t take out any drums and second toss with Dom getting up and out of the way, I thought he killed Morgan. It landed beside him but from my angle and lighting I had thought it came really close. There’s a backstage conversation I’d love to hear .

The Show: Crowd

Thought they were really good, better than Montreal for the most part although it seemed I was in the family zone for this one. Had a 10 year-old next to me and a family of four in front, all decked out with tour t-shirts, drinking beers, pop, candy, chocolate bars…I thought movies for the family were expensive…this brings it to a new level. And this is just the old fart coming out of me, but no 12 year-old daughter of mine would EVER have a F-ing Psych t-shirt.

Anyway, thought the crowd was good until after Uprising, and just before and during Globalist. People had seen enough and were streaming up the aisle like somebody scored an empty net goal at a hockey game. I was shocked, at first I thought, many were using slow song for a bathroom break as I didn’t notice many coats. But didn’t notice any going back down. THESE were the people who beat me out during fan presale and had me online for over an hour the next day?

If I wasn’t in such bewilderment, I would have really been pissed off.

Overall Thoughts

Was fun seeing same show a few nights apart. I thought Matt was talking and engaging a little more each time I’ve seen him…hardly a word for both shows this time round. Psycho I would them to semi-retire after this tour, just trot it out unexpectantly from time to time. Really enjoyed the in-the round experience and have no complaints, but would like the next tour to be stripped down straight on aural assault marathon. It was almost weird seeing the 3 standing together this time round instead of manning separate stations. Sad that the whole thing came and went so quickly…who knows how long till they’re back.
jetcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 01:15 AM   #75
Shadz

Do any of you know if they left directly after the show? Last time they were in Quebec city (april 2013) I stayed until 1:30 am and met them, but this time I stayed until 3:00 am and did not see them exit the Centre. Maybe we were not at the right place, but I doubt it because we waited where all the tour buses were!

I waited with one my friend and another guy, until some staff member took pity of us because it was so cold and told us they had already left
July 16th, 2017 - Festival d'été de Québec
Shadz is offline   Reply With Quote