Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse > Gigs & Tours > Tours

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #8476
Nigel_Tufnel
Member
 
Nigel_Tufnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
That's funny you use that as an example. I've seen Pearl Jam 5 times since 2003 and have never once heard Jeremy. Maybe the 6th time will be the charm
I imagine that you're pretty busted up that those 5 concerts included over 160 songs during 15 hours of live performance even though they kept forgetting to play their biggest single. Probably no prerecorded playback or lasers either. So lame of them.
__________________
13 March 2010 - The Palace of Auburn Hills, Michigan
12 October 2010 - Value City Arena, Columbus
3 August 2011 - Verizon Wireless Music Center, Indianapolis
2 March 2013 - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit
14 January 2016 - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit
Nigel_Tufnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #8477
SerpentSatellite
A subtle sense of absence
 
SerpentSatellite's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 June 2012
There was no VIP meet and greet last time, either.

The band doesn't HAVE to drop the singles.
I've seen plenty of bands where they still manage to play all the big singles, and have tremendous setlists, even at 18 songs (although Muse US is usually shorter than that, which is pretty unacceptable.)
Put in a couple of real stellar rarities in the remaining slots, and people are still going to be happy. It's really that easy.

It has nothing to do with the singles, or the visuals (there were just a couple of Drones Tour visuals that were song specific if you really think about it, and they weren't shy of dropping those anyways, as much of the US didn't get that blacked out stage, fire halo, blinkie glasses bit when they dropped a song slot and didn't fill it.)
It's everything to do with Matt's poor attitude about playing songs to his fans; if the people in the rafters aren't singing along, he's not going to do it. And then you create a cycle where your fans piss off because you blatantly told them gigs weren't for them, and less and less people who do show up know any of the songs.
This is all self inflicted.
SerpentSatellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #8478
Nigel_Tufnel
Member
 
Nigel_Tufnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 February 2013
And, of course, the irony is that the fans who are there mainly to hear the singles are likely the fickle ones who may or may not care to see them again. The people begging for rarities are the diehard fans who own all their albums and see every tour. I'm certainly passing on this tour unless I see something pretty spectacular in the early sets that might prompt me to drive 6 hours each way for a show.
__________________
13 March 2010 - The Palace of Auburn Hills, Michigan
12 October 2010 - Value City Arena, Columbus
3 August 2011 - Verizon Wireless Music Center, Indianapolis
2 March 2013 - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit
14 January 2016 - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit
Nigel_Tufnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #8479
halo eighteen
Member
 
halo eighteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28 February 2005
Location: holt, mi
Age: 37
Send a message via AIM to halo eighteen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel_Tufnel View Post
I imagine that you're pretty busted up that those 5 concerts included over 160 songs during 15 hours of live performance even though they kept forgetting to play their biggest single. Probably no prerecorded playback or lasers either. So lame of them.
Yeah, I have to cry myself to sleep every night pretty much lol. I think Muse might have taken too many pages out of Depeche Mode's playbook when they opened for them however many years ago because their shows are almost exactly the same way, nothing but singles or new songs.
__________________
5/2/04 - Coachella | 8/11/04 - Curiosa | 11/12/04 - Pontiac | 4/23/05 - East Lansing
7/28/06 - Detroit | 8/2/07 - Sterling Heights | 3/3/10 - Auburn Hills | 3/2/13 - Detroit
4/12/14 - Coachella | 1/14/16 - Detroit | 4/4/19 - Detroit
http://www.last.fm/user/haloeighteen
halo eighteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #8480
jetcap
Member
 
Join Date: 04 May 2015
Tour kinda excites me as this is the first one I've seen that isn't in support of product. It's been two years since Drones so setlist potential is wide open. I honestly don't know what to expect and plan on keeping it that way; come May I will go into shutdown mode and hope to block any and all news of setlists, stage set-ups, potential new songs and just sit back and enjoy what they bring to the table without any preconceived knowledge or expectations.
jetcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #8481
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 22
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcap View Post
Tour kinda excites me as this is the first one I've seen that isn't in support of product. It's been two years since Drones so setlist potential is wide open. I honestly don't know what to expect and plan on keeping it that way; come May I will go into shutdown mode and hope to block any and all news of setlists, stage set-ups, potential new songs and just sit back and enjoy what they bring to the table without any preconceived knowledge or expectations.
I don't like being a debbie downer when it comes to other people's experiences but I genuinely think you're only gonna be disappointed if you build it up like that...
__________________
Manchester (4.9.10) | Leeds (28.8.11) | Manchester (1.6.13) | Manchester (22.3.15) / Derby (13.6.15) / Manchester (9.4.16) / London (11.4.16) / London (12.4.16)
London (14.4.16) / London (15.4.16) / Paris (28.6.16)
| London (19.8.17) / Belfast (23.8.17) / Leeds (25.8.17) | London (3.12.18) / Prague (26.5.19) / London (1.6.19)
Bristol (5.6.19) / Manchester (8.6.19)
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #8482
yoyonco10
Member
 
yoyonco10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 January 2007
Location: new jersey
Age: 26
Yeah I wouldn't be expecting any new songs, but if I manage to get a ticket to the Tampa show which I believe is the 2nd show of of the tour I'm gonna make a strong effort to not look at the set list the night before, which would be a first for me lol but I'd rather be surprised with a shit setlist than know it's coming at this point lol
yoyonco10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #8483
Still not over Muse
Member
 
Join Date: 17 March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcap View Post
Tour kinda excites me as this is the first one I've seen that isn't in support of product. It's been two years since Drones so setlist potential is wide open. I honestly don't know what to expect and plan on keeping it that way; come May I will go into shutdown mode and hope to block any and all news of setlists, stage set-ups, potential new songs and just sit back and enjoy what they bring to the table without any preconceived knowledge or expectations.
Good on yer.
Still not over Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:14 PM   #8484
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 22
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Also, maybe retract what I said before about L/R genuinely being their only gigs in Europe 'cause Kasabian are also listed as UK festival exclusives when they're playing Trnsmt in Scotland.
__________________
Manchester (4.9.10) | Leeds (28.8.11) | Manchester (1.6.13) | Manchester (22.3.15) / Derby (13.6.15) / Manchester (9.4.16) / London (11.4.16) / London (12.4.16)
London (14.4.16) / London (15.4.16) / Paris (28.6.16)
| London (19.8.17) / Belfast (23.8.17) / Leeds (25.8.17) | London (3.12.18) / Prague (26.5.19) / London (1.6.19)
Bristol (5.6.19) / Manchester (8.6.19)
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #8485
DifferentPerson
The Handler
 
DifferentPerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 April 2012
Location: The unease of surrounded seclusion
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
Also, maybe retract what I said before about L/R genuinely being their only gigs in Europe 'cause Kasabian are also listed as UK festival exclusives when they're playing Trnsmt in Scotland.
That's odd. Maybe the festival organisers are just really keen on Scottish independence and already consider Scotland separate
__________________
Previously known as: Exo-Politik (NOT forevermusic. Not Larry either.)
Keeper of: Unnatural Selection. Micro Cuts. Dead Star @ Etihad 2013


DifferentPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #8486
SerpentSatellite
A subtle sense of absence
 
SerpentSatellite's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyonco10 View Post
Yeah I wouldn't be expecting any new songs, but if I manage to get a ticket to the Tampa show which I believe is the 2nd show of of the tour I'm gonna make a strong effort to not look at the set list the night before, which would be a first for me lol but I'd rather be surprised with a shit setlist than know it's coming at this point lol
The first couple of gigs usually get something like CE or Bliss, at least, before Matt gets mad and stops playing them. Happened last tour, as well.

I don't think we should expect that this isn't a "Drones Tour." Matt said he wanted to come back this year after the 360 was way too short, so it's likely just an extension of that tour.
(Also, shocked that Matt wasn't just spouting bs about coming back at that last gig!)

I've said to death that all Muse needed to do was throw some surprises in the setlist... a Fury, Assassin or HM or something... and the fans would have kept coming just for that.

Saw a different band at First Ave a short while ago. I'm familiar with all their stuff since 2003, and there were three songs I didn't recognize. The front part of the crowd just lost their minds.
Saw a song from their previous album's live debut, and some stuff that hadn't been played since 2010 and 2007.
Looked at the other setlists, and HO-LY-FUCK they're all different, full of rarities, old shit, and the hidden track off an album from like 10 years ago.
Only 18/19 songs, and they still manage to bring out all the big hits, too.
Probably not a coincidence that it was THE roughest crowd I'd seen at a US gig in decades, and I'm really damn glad I was upstairs for it.
SerpentSatellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #8487
DifferentPerson
The Handler
 
DifferentPerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 April 2012
Location: The unease of surrounded seclusion
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentSatellite View Post
Saw a different band at First Ave a short while ago. I'm familiar with all their stuff since 2003, and there were three songs I didn't recognize. The front part of the crowd just lost their minds.
Saw a song from their previous album's live debut, and some stuff that hadn't been played since 2010 and 2007.
Looked at the other setlists, and HO-LY-FUCK they're all different, full of rarities, old shit, and the hidden track off an album from like 10 years ago.
Only 18/19 songs, and they still manage to bring out all the big hits, too.
Probably not a coincidence that it was THE roughest crowd I'd seen at a US gig in decades, and I'm really damn glad I was upstairs for it.
Is that AFI by any chance? I've been following their recent setlists and your description seems pretty spot on for what they've been doing. They're a bit of a weird case though as from what I can see they're hardly playing anything from their new album (which came out last month.) I can't see Muse doing anything like that, although all it would take is adding 2/3 songs to the set and you could fit in all that old stuff and a decent amount from the newest album.
__________________
Previously known as: Exo-Politik (NOT forevermusic. Not Larry either.)
Keeper of: Unnatural Selection. Micro Cuts. Dead Star @ Etihad 2013


DifferentPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #8488
SerpentSatellite
A subtle sense of absence
 
SerpentSatellite's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentPerson View Post
Is that AFI by any chance? I've been following their recent setlists and your description seems pretty spot on for what they've been doing. They're a bit of a weird case though as from what I can see they're hardly playing anything from their new album (which came out last month.) I can't see Muse doing anything like that, although all it would take is adding 2/3 songs to the set and you could fit in all that old stuff and a decent amount from the newest album.
It totally was!

It's my boyfriend's favorite band, and we've been seeing their gigs since we started dating.
I'm not at all into the old punk stuff, but he loves it. I'm constantly surprised how many of their old fans stuck around with what a huge change the band seems to have made.

They didn't do a ton of songs off their last album during that tour, either, which is a little weird. I saw 2 from Burials on that tour, and 5 from it this tour.

I also don't know if that's terribly uncommon, either, as thinking back a lot of bands only play a couple new ones outside of any singles. I think it's more weird to play nearly the whole damn album like Muse does (and then never carry any of them over to the next tour unless there's a hit single.)
I would say my last 5 non-Muse gigs were quite scant for new album material, including a relatively big band like Breaking Benjamin who only did like 3-4 new ones in a 20 song set. Unless the band is fairly new, of course.

The other thing I have to say about AFI is that they really fucking give it their all.
And they had the same energy at a gig where they were the first of two openers that they do on their headliners.
And I suspect they were doing ACTUAL encores... Like, the crowd needs to actually cheer and carry on for a 2nd encore, and then they get some old ass song that wasn't on the setlist.
SerpentSatellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #8489
Jobby
Member
 
Jobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 February 2011
Location: UK
Age: 22
Twitter icon Tumblr icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentPerson View Post
That's odd. Maybe the festival organisers are just really keen on Scottish independence and already consider Scotland separate
I thought the same. Had to check Scotland was still in the UK and I wasn't going mental and/or being dumb

So yeah, hopefully that means there's a chance of something before June (which is when I'd assume it'd have to be). I want it nowwwww thoughhhhh. If only they actually communicated on twitter, I'd try asking.
__________________
Manchester (4.9.10) | Leeds (28.8.11) | Manchester (1.6.13) | Manchester (22.3.15) / Derby (13.6.15) / Manchester (9.4.16) / London (11.4.16) / London (12.4.16)
London (14.4.16) / London (15.4.16) / Paris (28.6.16)
| London (19.8.17) / Belfast (23.8.17) / Leeds (25.8.17) | London (3.12.18) / Prague (26.5.19) / London (1.6.19)
Bristol (5.6.19) / Manchester (8.6.19)
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #8490
Matthz
Member
 
Matthz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 21 June 2011
Location: U.S.
Age: 23
So if I was to wait in line all day and was one of the first people in, would I still not even get in the first couple rows of people?
Matthz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aac , announce , austrarities. , bliss , bye bye ce :( , bye bye good muse , carrieb lol , citizen erased , dallas , dont suck next tour , erased citizen erased , lol fuck you uk + usa , moar opinion bashing plz , official setlist beef , rainbows and smiles , sad idiot is sad , tour , u.s. , united states , yay back in black , you can't kill ce!


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Muse Christmas Present 2011 jamesdcfc121 Songs & Releases 1654 09-01-2012 04:41 PM
Tours 2011 ossosso Tours 28 28-03-2011 12:41 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)