Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse Incl. Off Topic > Kit & Tab

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 14-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #496
wriinkly feet
Member
 
wriinkly feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 June 2010
Location: Essex
Tumblr icon
I think the link I posted probably isn't the best example for the sound I'm after. This performance is probably the best. https://youtu.be/akBkj9DPN0g?t=39s Around 39 seconds to be specific. Digging around online I think an auto-wah pedal might do the trick.
__________________
Wembley Stadium 11/9/10
Reading Festival 28/8/11
O2 Arena 27/10/12
Shepherds Bush Empire 18/2/13
Emirates Stadium 25/5/13

Download Festival 13/6/15 <- best gig ever
Werchter Festival 28/6/15

O2 Arena 12/4/16 absolute woat
wriinkly feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 05:44 AM   #497
Matthijs
KnT Factor Winner 2011
 
Matthijs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 June 2004
Location: Not TrumpLand
Age: 29
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthijs
Facebook icon Flickr icon Twitter icon SoundCloud icon
I was always a bit surprised at the sound around ~2:00. As if the speakers were set in a large swimming pool for some reason.
__________________
Matthijs cannot be held responsible for any consequences of posts that have been made by Matthijs.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #498
Flump
Member
 
Flump's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 March 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriinkly feet View Post
I think the link I posted probably isn't the best example for the sound I'm after. This performance is probably the best. https://youtu.be/akBkj9DPN0g?t=39s Around 39 seconds to be specific. Digging around online I think an auto-wah pedal might do the trick.
An auto wah will most likely NOT do that. You're just going to want either a regular wah pedal, or a nice eq pedal that you can use as a bandpass filter. Wah pedals are just movable bandpass filters anyway. That sound comes from a huge boost in a specific frequency. Get a wah pedal, turn it on, leave it in one position. Also known as a cocked wah sound.
Flump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #499
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 30
Facebook icon SoundCloud icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flump View Post
An auto wah will most likely NOT do that. You're just going to want either a regular wah pedal, or a nice eq pedal that you can use as a bandpass filter. Wah pedals are just movable bandpass filters anyway. That sound comes from a huge boost in a specific frequency. Get a wah pedal, turn it on, leave it in one position. Also known as a cocked wah sound.
Very uncommon for EQ pedals to be capable of bandpass filtering, its rare enough outside of EQ plugins.

But yeah, wah or filter pedals and auto-wahs are also capable of fixed wah sounds and a bit more ideal for it than normal wah pedals.
__________________
Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
stuff on spotify
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #500
Jaicen
Member
 
Jaicen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 January 2005
Location: Sheffield
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
Very uncommon for EQ pedals to be capable of bandpass filtering, its rare enough outside of EQ plugins.

But yeah, wah or filter pedals and auto-wahs are also capable of fixed wah sounds and a bit more ideal for it than normal wah pedals.
Not strictly true. The majority of commercial graphic eq pedals use a series of bandpass filters, with fixed centre frequencies and resonance. They are terrible in terms of phase shift where the frequency bands overlap. With a guitar it's not that notocable but for high end audio it's unacceptable. That's why they're uncommon in modern studios, usually reserved for specialist applications like kick drum eq.
__________________
Hoping for sun, expecting the rain.
Jaicen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #501
haze015
MANBEEF!!!!1!1!1!322$!!
 
haze015's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 March 2003
Location: I am a MAN, not a girl or a girl pretending to be a man
Age: 30
Facebook icon SoundCloud icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaicen View Post
Not strictly true. The majority of commercial graphic eq pedals use a series of bandpass filters, with fixed centre frequencies and resonance. They are terrible in terms of phase shift where the frequency bands overlap. With a guitar it's not that notocable but for high end audio it's unacceptable. That's why they're uncommon in modern studios, usually reserved for specialist applications like kick drum eq.
Whilst true, how an EQ uses bandpass filters is different to a bandpass filter. Unless able to mute all except one on a graphic EQ pedal it won't achieve the same as a bandpass wah/filter, nor is there control over the frequencies.

Although it is possible to get something close with one, it certainly shouldn't be chosen over a wah/auto-wah/filter unless its all that is available.
__________________
Haze smells! << (OMGZ, HACK BY BEWILDERS)
stuff on spotify
haze015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #502
james90
boring_moderator
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flump View Post
An auto wah will most likely NOT do that. You're just going to want either a regular wah pedal, or a nice eq pedal that you can use as a bandpass filter. Wah pedals are just movable bandpass filters anyway. That sound comes from a huge boost in a specific frequency. Get a wah pedal, turn it on, leave it in one position. Also known as a cocked wah sound.
Yeah. In the video, it's just the wah probe in the guitar that's switched on, but essentially in the heel position since he doesn't have his hand near it. You can see him switch it off before the verse starts.

I think something like a dunlop Q zone would work pretty well for this.
__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
8 May 2015 - Webster Hall
27 January 2016 - Barclays Center
29 January 2016 - Prudential Center
22 July 2017 - Jones Beach
24 July 2017 - Central Park
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #503
Jaicen
Member
 
Jaicen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 January 2005
Location: Sheffield
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
Yeah. In the video, it's just the wah probe in the guitar that's switched on, but essentially in the heel position since he doesn't have his hand near it. You can see him switch it off before the verse starts.

I think something like a dunlop Q zone would work pretty well for this.
Also I think EHX do something like a CockFighter ?That should work too. Or just get a graphic eq..
__________________
Hoping for sun, expecting the rain.
Jaicen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #504
james90
boring_moderator
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaicen View Post
Also I think EHX do something like a CockFighter ?That should work too. Or just get a graphic eq..
Yeah, but that seems like an overdrive with a built in wah type sound. The EQ might be better, since it's only shaping the sound.

Another one is the stone deaf FX PDF-2 (or PDF-1), but that might be a little further away from the exact sound. Brilliant pedal though.
__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
8 May 2015 - Webster Hall
27 January 2016 - Barclays Center
29 January 2016 - Prudential Center
22 July 2017 - Jones Beach
24 July 2017 - Central Park
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #505
DeJw97
Member
 
Join Date: 24 December 2016
Location: Italy
Patches Line6 Pod Xt Live

Hi guys, i recently bought the Line6 Pod Xt Live pedalboard. I looked in the customtone site but no one of the tones under the Muse tag is really good:/
Does anybody have this pedalboard and some patches to share?
DeJw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #506
citizenerased98
Member
 
Join Date: 31 October 2016
Does anyone have tips for Mk ultra? mainly the electric part, is there a pedal for that sound?
citizenerased98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #507
james90
boring_moderator
 
james90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenerased98 View Post
Does anyone have tips for Mk ultra? mainly the electric part, is there a pedal for that sound?
I don't know what the studio version was (I remember there being a bit with an MXR blue box though) but you can pretty much get the exact live sound with the whammy set on -1 octave harmonizer
__________________
6 August 2007 - Madison Square Garden
5 March 2010 - Madison Square Garden
23 October 2010 - Nassau Coliseum
15 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
16 April 2013 - Madison Square Garden
25 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
26 May 2013 - Emirates Stadium
8 May 2015 - Webster Hall
27 January 2016 - Barclays Center
29 January 2016 - Prudential Center
22 July 2017 - Jones Beach
24 July 2017 - Central Park
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #508
Dominic.
Member
 
Dominic.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 31 January 2008
Age: 23
Yeah all you really need for a pretty close sound is a -1oct harmoniser and a bit of delay
__________________
enit
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
Eb--0--3--0--5--0--2--0--0--3--0

(short pause)

Eb--6--6
Dominic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:51 AM   #509
Cider
Member
 
Cider's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 November 2015
Location: Northern California
Age: 22
So I'm learning the solo part of Hysteria from the tab book and I'm not sure about this part



Would you guys show me how to do the "double at 8ve w/ whammy pedal" part? Thanks guys
Cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #510
nerd herd
mince pie
 
nerd herd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 December 2013
Age: 23
+1 octave harmony on a whammy
nerd herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
amp settings , effects , muse , settings , to infinity and beyond


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)