Go Back   Muse Messageboard > Muse Site > Muse.mu Support

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #76
Niall
☼☁☂❄
 
Niall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 April 2006
Location: Herts, UK
Age: 27
Facebook icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon Google Plus icon Muse.mu icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Dear Niall,

Can you provide Mac technical advice now that Kev has gone?
Not too sure about hardware but since OSX is unix based I can probably help with software issues
Niall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #77
Niall
☼☁☂❄
 
Niall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 April 2006
Location: Herts, UK
Age: 27
Facebook icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon Google Plus icon Muse.mu icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sammy! View Post
I don't know if Niall can, but I can if you need

I also realise that I've now responded to three of Niall's past questions Dear Sammy
Don't blame me for you hijacking my thread!
Niall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #78
Lucy
Sexiest Female Muser of 2006
Something Nice
 
Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 February 2004
Location: Plymouth / Cornwall
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sammy! View Post
I don't know if Niall can, but I can if you need

I also realise that I've now responded to three of Niall's past questions Dear Sammy
Sweet, although I may have fixed it now. It was playing up when installing software (examining available volumes for ages) so I booted from disk and tried to repair permissions but it wouldn't. After lots of fiddling it wouldn't boot at all but I went into single user mode and typed some shizz in that I found online and now it is operational. Not sure if it is a brief respite before my HD dies. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall View Post
Not too sure about hardware but since OSX is unix based I can probably help with software issues
It's all Greek to me, any insight is useful.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #79
Niall
☼☁☂❄
 
Niall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 April 2006
Location: Herts, UK
Age: 27
Facebook icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon Google Plus icon Muse.mu icon
I don't know about that one...I doubt installing software would cause a disc to stop booting properly, sounds like to symptoms of some underlying problem, as you say, could be a problem with the hard drive...back up anyway! Sammy?
Niall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #80
Super Sammy!
mingin'
Worst Moderator 2012
Best Moderator 2012
 
Super Sammy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 July 2008
Location: fuck knows
Age: 21
Facebook icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Sweet, although I may have fixed it now. It was playing up when installing software (examining available volumes for ages) so I booted from disk and tried to repair permissions but it wouldn't. After lots of fiddling it wouldn't boot at all but I went into single user mode and typed some shizz in that I found online and now it is operational. Not sure if it is a brief respite before my HD dies. Any thoughts?
How old is your Mac? I've heard a few stories of hard drives stuffing up, but usually it's out of the blue rather than slow and steady. My Mac has also started slowing down significantly as the hard drive has started filling up, that could also be a reason for it. Do you have the program Onyx? It's not the speediest thing in the world but it has repair tools to help your hard drive, as well as cleaning tools and that.

I realise this is all super basic advice, but it doesn't seem like too much of a problem. If a few commands fix it, I imagine it's just disagreeing with something.
Super Sammy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #81
Lucy
Sexiest Female Muser of 2006
Something Nice
 
Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 February 2004
Location: Plymouth / Cornwall
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sammy! View Post
How old is your Mac? I've heard a few stories of hard drives stuffing up, but usually it's out of the blue rather than slow and steady. My Mac has also started slowing down significantly as the hard drive has started filling up, that could also be a reason for it. Do you have the program Onyx? It's not the speediest thing in the world but it has repair tools to help your hard drive, as well as cleaning tools and that.

I realise this is all super basic advice, but it doesn't seem like too much of a problem. If a few commands fix it, I imagine it's just disagreeing with something.
Errr, 3 and a bit years old. It's slowed up a bit, a lot of fan chuffing than there ever used to be. Upgraded the RAM recently but doesn't seem to have made much difference. I don't have that, will have a look when I get home. It was behaving all of last night so I think some permissions must have fucked up and wouldn't let it boot and single user mode fixed that.

Thinking I may have to move on from it at some point as the battery is also slowly dying, barely lasts an hour now, but I just need it to hang on a few more months.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #82
Super Sammy!
mingin'
Worst Moderator 2012
Best Moderator 2012
 
Super Sammy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 July 2008
Location: fuck knows
Age: 21
Facebook icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Errr, 3 and a bit years old. It's slowed up a bit, a lot of fan chuffing than there ever used to be. Upgraded the RAM recently but doesn't seem to have made much difference. I don't have that, will have a look when I get home. It was behaving all of last night so I think some permissions must have fucked up and wouldn't let it boot and single user mode fixed that.

Thinking I may have to move on from it at some point as the battery is also slowly dying, barely lasts an hour now, but I just need it to hang on a few more months.
If it's working fine now, I imagine it'd be nothing major. Mine took 10 minutes to boot the other day and I was terrified Onyx is just software to keep your hard drive running as well as it can and fixes any boot errors. Three years should be fine though for age for the hardware, so wouldn't worry too much about that.

You can do a bit to help the battery life, but when it's gotten to that point, you'd perhaps go from an hour of battery life to maybe an hour and a half. My battery's health fluctuates between 75% and 90%. http://www.coconut-flavour.com/ this app here shows your battery health. I don't know if you want to bother, but you could always calibrate it (charge it up full, drain it to absolute empty, leave it for 5/6 hours, then charge it up full again, repeat if wanted).
Super Sammy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #83
ninja
crayon queen
Best Younger Muser 2008
Chattiest Muser 2008
 
ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 June 2007
Location: Melbz
Dear Niall,
everytime I have tried to change my avatar for the last few months, I get this baby; 'Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file.'
I know my file is a size which the board can handle, so what's going on please?

Thanks man!
__________________
ʘ: Your vagina is like an elephant. In SOO many ways...
Strawberry_Juice: Afraid of mice? Cries when its kin die? Incredibly good sense of direction?
ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #84
Niall
☼☁☂❄
 
Niall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 April 2006
Location: Herts, UK
Age: 27
Facebook icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon Google Plus icon Muse.mu icon
Is it a gif you are trying to upload from a url?
Niall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #85
Dave
Bruce Willis is a ghost
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 December 2010
Location: Ireland
Age: 18
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Facebook icon Twitter icon SoundCloud icon
Dear Niall,
Why is there a + sign beside some names in the 'Active users viewing this thread' box?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #86
Super Sammy!
mingin'
Worst Moderator 2012
Best Moderator 2012
 
Super Sammy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 July 2008
Location: fuck knows
Age: 21
Facebook icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by longan View Post
Dear Niall,
Why is there a + sign beside some names in the 'Active users viewing this thread' box?
Just means that they're on your friends list on here. Not sure why, just is that way
__________________


for the next five minutes, I'm going to party like it's on sale for $19.99!
Super Sammy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #87
Dave
Bruce Willis is a ghost
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 December 2010
Location: Ireland
Age: 18
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Facebook icon Twitter icon SoundCloud icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sammy! View Post
Just means that they're on your friends list on here. Not sure why, just is that way
Oh ok, sweet
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 02:32 AM   #88
Neil.
▲▲△▲△△▼△▽▽▲
 
Neil.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 17 January 2008
Location: Ireland; Dublij & Waterfodd
Age: 27
Muse.mu icon
Dearest Niall//Wasps/Neill/Nelly/Alternativelytsimilarname,

Eye see you bbz



lol jk via pm message. If this is a bit too much, could you either spoiler it or pm me?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sammy! View Post
GET DRUNK GET STONED GET FUCKED ALL IS WELL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
I just accidentallied my pants.
Neil. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #89
Niall
☼☁☂❄
 
Niall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 April 2006
Location: Herts, UK
Age: 27
Facebook icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon Google Plus icon Muse.mu icon
Wasp orifices. Not approved.
Niall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #90
Super Sammy!
mingin'
Worst Moderator 2012
Best Moderator 2012
 
Super Sammy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 July 2008
Location: fuck knows
Age: 21
Facebook icon Last.fm icon Twitter icon
I hate it when I wake up and vomit wasps.
__________________


for the next five minutes, I'm going to party like it's on sale for $19.99!
Super Sammy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dear Kev Dramatic Hammer Muse.mu Support 2087 25-09-2012 04:12 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)