View Single Post
Old 20-05-2017, 02:56 AM   #955
Bohemian-Cygnus-RunningOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
Yeah I realize that, but in 2002-2003 Matt wasn't obsessed with writing pop songs. He did TIRO more as an experiment to see if he could rather than indicating that as a change in direction. Unfortunately it really was as evidenced by "Starlight", "Supermassive Black Hole", "Invincible" on the next album. Hell, 70% of the LP 5/6/7 are pop songs.

'Member when there used to be songs like "Falling Away With You", "Screenager", "Shrinking Universe", "Ruled by Secrecy", "Citizen Erased"? The problem is Muse understood 10 years ago that if they wrote more pop songs, they would make more money. Essentially they did what The Moody Blues did in the 1980s, sold out and made tons of money. "Your Wildest Dreams"...

I personally discovered the band via "Butterflies & Hurricanes", that was my gateway drug to Muse. Not pop crap.
I'd hardly call any album with Exogenesis, Isolated System, or The Globalist on it a sell-out release. Imo BH&R was their most commercial album, though TR and T2L were more successful with bigger singles.