Muse Messageboard

Muse Messageboard (http://board.muse.mu/index.php)
-   Songs & Releases (http://board.muse.mu/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Silliest Muse Lyrics? (http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=110271)

TheHappySpaceman 05-02-2016 09:02 PM

Silliest Muse Lyrics?
 
Now don't get me wrong. Matt Bellamy is an amazing songwriter, singer, guitarist and pianist. His lyrics, though, are hit and miss. There are some really great ones, of course, but then there are other that just come off as incredibly silly, whether they're stretch rhymes, confused metaphors, or otherwise. And we're here to talk about them today, so feel free to post your best worst Muse lyrics!

Here are some of my favorites.

"I have played in every toilet / but you still want to spoil it"
~from Muscle Museum, Muscle Museum EP (1998)

"You do it to me sweetly, to my yeah-yeah"
~from Agitated, Uno single (1999)

"Itís happening soon / Itís happening soon / Itís scent has been blowing in my direct-shoon"
~from Fillip, Showbiz (1999)

"Stretch it like a birth squeeze"
~from New Born, Origin of Symmetry (2001)

"Brainwashing our children to be mean"
~from Supremacy, The 2nd Law (2012)

"Your aaaaaaaaassssss belongs to me now"
~from Psycho, Drones (2015)

DyingAtheist98 05-02-2016 09:12 PM

You've got strength, you've got soul
You've felt pain, you've felt love
You can grow (you can grow!)
You can grow (you can grow!)
You can make this world what you want
You can revoooooolt

MartianSpaghettiRider 05-02-2016 09:17 PM

Maybe not the silliest ever in my agenda, but still...

"I will light the fuse / And I'll never lose" (Survival).

That straight rhyme gets me every time (oh, gosh... Now I've made one, too). :chuckle:

TheHappySpaceman 05-02-2016 09:18 PM

Revolt
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DyingAtheist98 (Post 11341081)
You've got strength, you've got soul
You've felt pain, you've felt love
You can grow (you can grow!)
You can grow (you can grow!)
You can make this world what you want
You can revoooooolt

The weirdest part about those lyrics is that, while not necessarily the worst lyrics, the tempo/style change from the verses/solo to the chorus is particularly jarring. Someone once said it sounded like the theme song to a Disney teen show.

Tjet 05-02-2016 09:29 PM

"Brainwashing our children to be mean" and "And we'll pray that there's no God To punish us and make a fuss" are the worst offenders imo. Otherwise good lyrics that are ruined by one world which makes it feel really childish.

BlueEyedFloozy 05-02-2016 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHappySpaceman (Post 11341046)

I have played in every toilet / but you still want to spoil it"
~from Muscle Museum, Muscle Museum EP (1998)

I'll defend that one. "The toilet scene" in the UK is the slog of playing tiny gigs; the theory is that the venue's so small the band have to get changed in the toilets. If you don't know the phrase it probably sounds a bit odd (a bit!) but it makes perfect sense in the context of the song.

The "make a fuss" line in Fury infuriates me and ruins a cracking song.

TheHappySpaceman 05-02-2016 09:41 PM

Survival, Supremacy and Fury
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartianSpaghettiRider (Post 11341101)
Maybe not the silliest ever in my agenda, but still...

"I will light the fuse / And I'll never lose" (Survival).

That straight rhyme gets me every time (oh, gosh... Now I've made one, too). :chuckle:

Yeah, though to be fair, I think that goes along well with the cheesy nature of the Olympics hype.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjet (Post 11341151)
"Brainwashing our children to be mean" and "And we'll pray that there's no God To punish us and make a fuss" are the worst offenders imo. Otherwise good lyrics that are ruined by one world which makes it feel really childish.

Wow, I didn't think that I'd actually see someone disliking Fury! :eek: I figured most fans like that song. But yeah, I agree on both of those. The Supremacy one was on my list too.

TheHappySpaceman 05-02-2016 09:44 PM

Muscle Museum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueEyedFloozy (Post 11341171)
I'll defend that one. "The toilet scene" in the UK is the slog of playing tiny gigs; the theory is that the venue's so small the band have to get changed in the toilets. If you don't know the phrase it probably sounds a bit odd (a bit!) but it makes perfect sense in the context of the song.

Interesting! I figured that's what Matt meant by the phrase, but I didn't know that it was a legit expression in the UK. Thanks for the info! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueEyedFloozy (Post 11341171)
The "make a fuss" line in Fury infuriates me and ruins a cracking song.

You're the second person who has brought that up. Maybe it's just because I was rocking out so hard during that song that I missed that line. Now that you mention it, I think that there were probably better rhymes for that part.

BlueEyedFloozy 05-02-2016 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHappySpaceman (Post 11341191)
You're the second person who has brought that up. Maybe it's just because I was rocking out so hard during that song that I missed that line. Now that you mention it, I think that there were probably better rhymes for that part.

I initially thought it was "punish us and forgive us" and Matt was mangling words as only he can, and my lyrics would make more sense with the god imagery. I was dead disappointed with the actual lyrics.

Tjet 05-02-2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHappySpaceman (Post 11341176)
Yeah, though to be fair, I think that goes along well with the cheesy nature of the Olympics hype.



Wow, I didn't think that I'd actually see someone disliking Fury! :eek: I figured most fans like that song. But yeah, I agree on both of those. The Supremacy one was on my list too.

I don't dislike Fury, well it's kinda dull but I was just complaining about that one word this time.

TheHappySpaceman 05-02-2016 10:30 PM

Time Is Running Out
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueEyedFloozy (Post 11341211)
I initially thought it was "punish us and forgive us" and Matt was mangling words as only he can, and my lyrics would make more sense with the god imagery. I was dead disappointed with the actual lyrics.

Now that you mention it, I just thought of another great one from the same album:

"Now that you know I'm trapped / Since ovulation"
~from Time Is Running Out


I've heard people say different thing about this line. I know that the lyric sheet actually says "sense of elation," but the original version released said "since ovulation." Not sure if that was a misprint or a last minute change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjet (Post 11341241)
I don't dislike Fury, well it's kinda dull but I was just complaining about that one word this time.

Understandable.

DifferentPerson 05-02-2016 11:36 PM

The one about clouds of gas in Big Freeze.

SerpentSatellite 05-02-2016 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DifferentPerson (Post 11341326)
The one about clouds of gas in Big Freeze.

That one does make me giggle like a 5 year old

TheHappySpaceman 05-02-2016 11:46 PM

Big Freeze
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DifferentPerson (Post 11341326)
The one about clouds of gas in Big Freeze.

Now that you mention it, that is pretty silly. :LOL: Wonder if Muse realized that after they wrote it, and that's why it's never been played live,

SerpentSatellite 05-02-2016 11:47 PM

Matt just can't hit a lot of the notes, likely.

He's never been embarrassed by stuff like "birth squeeze" and I imagine he probably enjoys a good fart joke.
I mean, this is the guy who draws penises in guest books...


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Follow the Muse Messageboard on Twitter!
'Pornogenic' - this refers to pics of Muse (and their crotch regions)