Muse Messageboard

Muse Messageboard (http://board.muse.mu/index.php)
-   Tours (http://board.muse.mu/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Speculation on future gigs/tours (http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=79278)

MusersAdvocate 29-10-2010 03:38 PM

Speculation on future gigs/tours

As The Resistance tour finally comes to a close, a very interesting dynamic is now really going to set in for us Muse fans. Muse has been around for a while now, and with their sudden explosion of popularity after Resisance (especially in the US), its believable to say they are now a world superpower. However, when their next album is released, a lot of die hards will have to come to grips with the fact that a lot of older songs will never be played.

Think about it, most of us chek setlists religiously, I am sure weve all noticed how little Showbiz is played anymore. Now think about when ANOTHER album comes out. Its quite possible we wont hear any showbiz live for a very long time, unless they very rarely decide to pop out unintended or maybe cave. Unfortuantely the trend will ripple across with other albums

Origin of Symmetry still has about 3 or 4 songs on a setlist, but i would expect to see that number decrease. I doubt Plug in Baby will ever go away, but Feeling Good has now been seen to dissappear in and out of setlists, and with the reemrgence of ruled by secrey and USoE, plus matt said their new album will be more classical and low key, its quite possible feeling good will feel like a thing of the past. Newborn probably wont be played as often (it was switched out several times on this tour), and bliss, as rare as it is, will become even more rare.

Absolution will still have good recognition, Id imagine hysteria and time is running out will still be around, but even songs like stockholm syndrome may have trouble staying around consistently. butterflies and hurricanes will probably disappear for good.

Blackholes and Revelations will still have many songs, as it is still much more recent. Knights of Cydonia, Starlight, and Supermassive Black Hole will probably be staples to the setlist. Map of the Problematique (and to a lesser extent take a bow) will probably start being snubbed out more as well.

Resistance will obviously see the most holdover. Were likely to see all three of the singles plus USOE for a while (and though i cant figure out why, so will guiding light, but not unnatural selection or mk ultra.) that being said im still curious if theyll ever bust out all three exogenesis, something tells me they will

ALLLL this being said (and of course just all my opinion, feel free to share), what do you think we can expect in future setlists after their next album? matts been quoted as saying he wants smaller venue type music and possibly more classical sound (which is why i feel songs like stockholm, newborn, and motp would be swapped out in favor of lighter choices). What can Muse fans expect? how rare will showbiz and origin become? for this muser, hopefully not TOO rare

hipbones 29-10-2010 03:54 PM

Generally I take everything Matt says with a pinch of salt. He's known for talking shit and whilst he might not be lying about the direction the new album will take I won't pass much judgement until I hear it myself.
I'm not really holding high hopes for it and I agree with you that a lot of their older stuff is going to disappear, which has already happened and I think we are all starting to accept although we don't seem to want to take it without a fight. Not that anything we say is making much difference, they don't really listen to fans...hey ho.

Based on this tour and their attitude in general (and when I say 'their' I mean Matt pretty much) I am still a Muse fan but only a fan of who they used to be and the music they used to make. I said Wembley would be my last Muse gig, and right now I'm standing by my word. They fucked European fans over and they've done the same to American fans so I can't justify seeing them again right now.

I can see this thread turning into another rant about setlists and the usual arguments rearing their heads but I think you made a really good post.

Sad to consider how far Muse have came and just how much they threw by the wayside now they have made it there.

What do I think we can expect from future sets?
Exactly what we have now....only OoS and Showbiz tracks will be pretty much gone (bar PiB and FG) and I think most of Abso will be rare too. They obv have to make way for the new material but obv they're not planning to extend their sets.

So, same shit, different shovel.

a-museing 29-10-2010 03:59 PM

@hipbones just wondering why do you say its Matts attitude that has changed the most and not just Muse as a whole?

Dee3Dee 29-10-2010 04:18 PM

New Born = out.
Map of the Problematique = rarity.
Guiding Light = (Hopefully) out.
Overture = out.
Feeling Good = (I pray to God) out.
Stockholm Syndrome = occasionally played.

Insert all the worst songs from the new album and you have the setlist for the next tour.

hipbones 29-10-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a-museing (Post 8631420)
@hipbones just wondering why do you say its Matts attitude that has changed the most and not just Muse as a whole?

He's the man in charge of the setlists.

a-museing 29-10-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee3Dee (Post 8631444)
New Born = out.
Map of the Problematique = rarity.
Guiding Light = (Hopefully) out.
Overture = out.
Feeling Good = (I pray to God) out.
Stockholm Syndrome = occasionally played.

Insert all the worst songs from the new album and you have the setlist for the next tour.

And you win the prize for the most depressing post of the day. :'( I doubt Feeling Good will be gone. I really hope they do change on the next tour but my gut feeling is that it will just get worse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipbones (Post 8631449)

I think if Chris and Dom had a big problem with it, they would have put their foot down though.

hipbones 29-10-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a-museing (Post 8631461)
I think if Chris and Dom had a big problem with it, they would have put their foot down though.

Dom has passed comment on the set lists in the past and didn't seem 100% happy about it, and Chris looks bored as hell playing GL etc. Tbh maybe it's just easier to go with the flow in their opinion.

I still think Matt's the driving point for all this shit.

jackparker 29-10-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipbones (Post 8631413)
Generally I take everything Matt says with a pinch of salt. He's known for talking shit and whilst he might not be lying about the direction the new album will take I won't pass much judgement until I hear it myself.

with what matt said, he could just be not talking straight and then come up with something completely different and very bombastic!

Unless they make a slow album, we could have setlists of slow songs!

Olly. 29-10-2010 04:34 PM

This tour seemed devoted to just new fans, didnt accommodate for the fans (bar the setlist polls which were a complete balls up) who helped them grow into the popular band they are, after all they help fund them when going to the gigs ;) I fear the next album tour will be the same.

a-museing 29-10-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipbones (Post 8631476)
Dom has passed comment on the set lists in the past and didn't seem 100% happy about it, and Chris looks bored as hell playing GL etc. Tbh maybe it's just easier to go with the flow in their opinion.

I still think Matt's the driving point for all this shit.

I doubt Matt's some kind of evil dictator of the setlists. If that is the case and they're not standing up to him, they need to man up. I know Matt writes the setlists but if they don't think he's doing a good job, they should write the setlists themselves.

L. 29-10-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipbones (Post 8631449)

He is also the man in charge of the set design and ideas (hello towers!), the man who lost his pedal (so they can't play MM) and the man who doesn't like the piano anymore because it cuts him seeing from the public (coming from someone who spend 95% of his time with his eyes closed when he is facing that same public) hence why we only get 2 piano songs now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olly. (Post 8631486)
This tour seemed devoted to just new fans, didnt accommodate for the fans (bar the setlist polls which were a complete balls up) who helped them grow into the popular band they are, after all they help fund them when going to the gigs ;) I fear the next album tour will be the same.

+1

Pip 29-10-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L. (Post 8631499)
(coming from someone who spend 95% of his time with his eyes closed when he is facing that same public)

Fucking funny that!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

hipbones 29-10-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackparker (Post 8631481)
with what matt said, he could just be not talking straight and then come up with something completely different and very bombastic!

Unless they make a slow album, we could have setlists of slow songs!

Oh I agree, which is why I'm not taking anything he says seriously. I'll wait and see what they come up with.

By the by, I am not interested in a classical album at all. I want old skool Muse, none of this pansy crap about love.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olly. (Post 8631486)

They took our jobs.
I'm a real fan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a-museing (Post 8631488)
I doubt Matt's some kind of evil dictator of the setlists. If that is the case and they're not standing up to him, they need to man up. I know Matt writes the setlists but if they don't think he's doing a good job, they should write the setlists themselves.

Either Dom and Chris don't really give a shit and are just letting Matt take the lead, they are happy with the setlist, or they aren't a fan but can't be arsed arguing.
I don't actually know what they are thinking, obv, but I'm just going by interviews etc.

Oh, and I suggested to Chris he writes the sets from now on. :awesome:

hipbones 29-10-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L. (Post 8631499)
He is also the man in charge of the set design and ideas (hello towers!), the man who lost his pedal (so they can't play MM) and the man who doesn't like the piano anymore because it cuts him seeing from the public (coming from someone who spend 95% of his time with his eyes closed when he is facing that same public) hence why we only get 2 piano songs now.

He's also the man who has all his guitars stacked in the way of falling curtains. And we all know how that worked out.

Dee3Dee 29-10-2010 04:44 PM

If Matt tries to pull another Neutron Star Collision or Guiding Light on us, I sincerely hope that Chris smashes his head in.

CarrieB 29-10-2010 11:26 PM

The majority of us love Matt whatever. He's the driving force behind Muse's success and the creative lead and no one can deny that.

Shwissky 29-10-2010 11:40 PM

Yea tbh if Dom and Chris had a serious problem with the setlists i think they would say something, there has been evidence to suggest that chris and dom are bored but i dont think that its serious enough for them to do anything. I think GL will be gone for good(invincible was played almost every gig last tour and its gone, and GL has been played way less), and FG i would like to think will be gone because they have rotated it sometimes, but we wont really know for sure untill next tour.

CarrieB 29-10-2010 11:46 PM

Tbh I don't think they have showed signs of being bored. They seem very happy, particularly with the idea of becoming the biggest band in the world, more than Matt. He's never said that. He's always said it's about the music.

Liron 29-10-2010 11:51 PM

Bottom line is, he.. or they.. seem to have a problem playing anything other than the same 25 songs in rotation. Next album tour will be minus 5-8 songs from current rotation and adding the worst songs from next album.

He.. or they.. seem to be afraid of mixing it up, unfortunately.

CarrieB 30-10-2010 12:07 AM

PS Matt has said he feels more in touch with the audience when he's front stage than playing the piano. That has nothing to do with whether he has his eye's open. It's about feeling the vibe and reacting to that. Accept his interpretation!

HaikuMarko 30-10-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieB (Post 8632756)
The majority of us love Matt whatever. He's the driving force behind Muse's success and the creative lead and no one can deny that.

I do have to admit I do love the guy but curse him for not playing the regular 18 song setlists!!! :moody: the BHAR tour and earlier legs had longer setlists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieB (Post 8632840)
Tbh I don't think they have showed signs of being bored. They seem very happy, particularly with the idea of becoming the biggest band in the world, more than Matt. He's never said that. He's always said it's about the music.

Agreed, they all seem quite happy and enjoy playing this tour, I'm sure there is no problem whatsoever among them as a band.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liron (Post 8632857)
Bottom line is, he.. or they.. seem to have a problem playing anything other than the same 25 songs in rotation. Next album tour will be minus 5-8 songs from current rotation and adding the worst songs from next album.

He.. or they.. seem to be afraid of mixing it up, unfortunately.

They are in some ways, I remember reading that the guys have forgotten how to play some songs live as well, they really practiced this setlist that they really didn't practice other tunes. The current set up limits them on what they can do.

I'm sure their next tours will be great, if only they could integrate a solid 18-song setlist with 1 rarity at least both old and new fans will be happy. Although the towers were cool they should go.... and maybe their stage and new songs make it easier to transition to other material.

For example Nishe came back and SS remained well because they transition easily with other songs...even the recent Citizen Erased+Nishe was a nice transition and in the same guitar settings.

I believe Undisclosed will remain too... I doubt Matt wants to leave the Keytar, he'll for sure use it with newer material, it's very likeable, it was his favourite tune off The Resistance.

Anyways, that's my opinion... 18 song setlists+1 rarity among next tour's gigs. Do that and it'll be like the BHAR tour all over again (the best one imo).

dontask 30-10-2010 01:13 AM

I think they will, inevitably, have to make the setlists longer. This is absolutely essential. I also think the sets will be less about hits and more carefully constructed, something has to give, and if the singles from album six are as popular as Uprising, Resistance, Undisclosed, then I could definitely see some more rotation happening.

plus, whatever the album is, we might love it? in which case if Guiding Light and Feeling Good disappear, I dont see how the setlists could be too bad.

/optimism.

Zaphod Chizzlebrox 30-10-2010 01:18 AM

It'll have to be a blindingly good album next up to make me want to see them live again.

Shwissky 30-10-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaikuMarko (Post 8633034)
I do have to admit I do love the guy but curse him for not playing the regular 18 song setlists!!! :moody: the BHAR tour and earlier legs had longer setlists.

Agreed, they all seem quite happy and enjoy playing this tour, I'm sure there is no problem whatsoever among them as a band.

They are in some ways, I remember reading that the guys have forgotten how to play some songs live as well, they really practiced this setlist that they really didn't practice other tunes. The current set up limits them on what they can do.

I'm sure their next tours will be great, if only they could integrate a solid 18-song setlist with 1 rarity at least both old and new fans will be happy. Although the towers were cool they should go.... and maybe their stage and new songs make it easier to transition to other material.

For example Nishe came back and SS remained well because they transition easily with other songs...even the recent Citizen Erased+Nishe was a nice transition and in the same guitar settings.

I believe Undisclosed will remain too... I doubt Matt wants to leave the Keytar, he'll for sure use it with newer material, it's very likeable, it was his favourite tune off The Resistance.

Anyways, that's my opinion... 18 song setlists+1 rarity among next tour's gigs. Do that and it'll be like the BHAR tour all over again (the best one imo).

The towers are infact not restrictive at all. Recent setlists have proven that tehy can actully get the towers to do anything, and if they had put there minds to it they really could have made each show unique by using different songs on the towersall the time etc etc.

Dr Charlie 30-10-2010 07:05 AM

I think they just stopped playing old rare songs because they like better their new stuff. Their into it, I mean, they got better and appreciate more what they do recently ... I don't think they like more their old songs (that would be strange and depressing lol) ! They do what they want.

My dream setlist would be longer than it is now, and I wish Matt will still play the piano, because it's just so nice to hear. I wish they keep some very rockin' songs like Stockholm Syndrom and I don't mind if they stop playing Feeling Good. It's okay, as long as they still have a balance between calm and rockin' songs.

But seriously, I hope their new album won't be too classical.Honestly, most of the time their crazy songs like Hysteria or New Born are a success, right ?

I love Muse so much, it would be damn sad for the future tours to be deceiving ! But they won't be ... right ? :eek:

Tofu 30-10-2010 08:13 AM

I think that they stopped playing their old stuff because they don't identify with it anymore. It's pretty obvious they changed a lot the past years and I guess they'd rather play something that means something to them than go through the motions? Though I do wonder how anyone can play the same thing every single night and not start to be bored and just "go through the motions" that way, too. Perhaps that's why Chris and Dom look bored? They being either Matt or all three; I can't tell you nor do I particularly care tbh.

I do have quite a bit of hope for the new album, though. Yes, it's hard to take what Matt says seriously, but it does seem Chris will have a bigger role this time compared to TR, and I'm hoping that'll balance things out a bit.

Dee3Dee 30-10-2010 08:35 AM

I am genuinely afraid of the next album and tour, This tour has been a sham all the way through.

Matt doesn't want to play the piano because he can't connect with the crowd? Well it's bloody unfortunate that some of the best songs he's written are for the piano then, isn't it? Oh wait, they never play those anyway.

Chris looks incredibly bored during songs like Guiding Light and Undisclosed Desires. If you watch Dom at Glastonbury, he pretty much just sits there with a blank stare during Guiding Light. He's so bored.

Matt isn't a pushover. If Dom and Chris object to any decision he makes I'm sure he wouldn't go down without a fight. Dom and Chris probably can't be bothered arguing with him, and just go along with the setlists of cheese.

dontask 30-10-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee3Dee (Post 8634152)
Matt isn't a pushover. If Dom and Chris object to any decision he makes I'm sure he wouldn't go down without a fight. Dom and Chris probably can't be bothered arguing with him, and just go along with the setlists of cheese.

:LOL:

museismystarlight 30-10-2010 03:29 PM

This makes me sad. :lol:. I guess confirming my irrational hopes of hearing old songs. :stunned: But still..I will never be able to give up total hope. And I can't see me ever stopping going to their shows thats just blasphemous..they have been and will continue to be my favorite band. So even if their new record blows, I'll still pay for them to play it. :musesign:

And I mean. I recall not being immediately in love with TR album, but it grew on me. And I appreciate it. I guess like a lot of things, it's muse at the end of the day, and although I have songs or albums I enjoy more, I sort of mentally see it all as one collective album.

That's my soapbox and I'm sticking to it.

But yeah. Not going to lie, I still hope for Dead Star..and Muscle Museum and like 5 others. hahaha.

MuseNorway95 30-10-2010 04:19 PM

They can do like Green Day.
35 songs in one gig:LOL:

MuseNorway95 30-10-2010 04:27 PM

35 songs on one gig:LOL:

Gemsy 30-10-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipbones (Post 8631505)
He's also the man who has all his guitars stacked in the way of falling curtains. And we all know how that worked out.

:chuckle:

Been wondering what to do about this thread, I guess it's a relevant topic for the area.

Please could we use it constructively though guys, instead of a place to bitch about the current tour? We need some positivity around here. :p
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuseNorway95 (Post 8634835)

Yes please. :D

ryancoke93 30-10-2010 07:07 PM

I hope that for the next tour they figure "Right, now that we got your attention newbies with the Resistance Tour.....heres Hyper Music, Cheers!" :D

/wishful thinking :rolleyes:

I suppose it all depends on what direction the next album takes. I sincerely hope though that now they are an established band pretty much all over the world, they'll play longer sets and cover more of their back catalogue.

Stateside I'd expect to see stadium shows in NY and LA, and maybe even somewhere like Toronto (again...wishful thinking/ bias) I think we'll see a lot more double nights. not only Staples Center, and the O2, but places like Madison Square Garden, Toronto, Chicago, and smaller places like Seattle, or Columbus.

Then for Europe, double (maybe triple? or at least 3 visits over the tour) at Wembley, Stade de France, San Siro, Netherlands, Berlin, etc. And if there is an arena tour for Europe, id expect to see double nights at most venues.

halo eighteen 30-10-2010 07:12 PM

I really hope the Resistance tour isn't an indication of future tours from Muse. They could really make the next tour so much more interesting with not even much effort.

Start with a "generous" 18-20 song template. Let's face it, by the time they tour again they'll have at least 12 more songs in their repertoire. They frankly can't get away with 15-18 song sets for much longer.

Start rotating older songs more often, and with better sense. Swapping Guiding Light for Citizen Erased is comical for sure, but it isn't at all logical.

Start giving more equal representation to their back catalog. They have millions of fans. We all know the music. Even giving just slightly more focus on the newer material doesn't look that bad on paper:

~1 Showbiz song a night
~2-3 Origin songs
~3-4 Absolution songs
~3-4 BH&R songs
~3-4 Resistance songs
~6 New album songs

There's about 20 right there and would probably please just about everybody, assuming it's not the SAME older songs the whole tour. Sure, maybe constructing the set might take a few minutes of extra thought. If Matt doesn't have the time, then they could hire someone who can do it. Like me.

Showbiz: If every Muse gig were guaranteed a song from the list of Sunburn/Showbiz/Cave/Muscle Museum/Uno, there would be far less to complain about. Simple.

Origin: Plug In Baby/Bliss can very feasibly be swapped for one another. Same with New Born/Citizen Erased since both have piano and guitar passages (and Matt should really go back to playing piano on New Born, but that's a whole different topic). Space Dementia, Micro Cuts, Hyper Music could feasibly be shuffled as well. Feeling Good could even pop its head in once every so often, too. I don't think people really hate that song so much as they feel it doesn't need to be played at every gig.

Absolution: Hysteria and TIRO aren't going anywhere ever, let's face it. As much as it pains me, Stockholm could be put on shuffle with another epic song like Butterflies. Small Print/Atheist could be swapped for an extra treat every so often, too.

Would this be so hard?

1 New Song
2 New Song
3 New Born / Citizen Erased
4 Supermassive Black Hole / Map of the Problematique
5 Uprising
6 New Song
7 Hysteria
8 MK Ultra / Unnatural Selection / Assassin
9 New Piano Song
10 Older Piano Song
11 Resistance / Undisclosed Desires
12 Origin of Symmetry / Absolution Selection
13 Starlight
14 Time Is Running Out
15 New Song
-----
16 Showbiz Selection
17 Stockholm Syndrome / Butterflies & Hurricanes
-----
18 New Song
19 Bliss / Plug In Baby
20 Knights / Take a Bow

Liron 30-10-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuseNorway95 (Post 8634835)

lmfao.

Queen of the Muse Board 30-10-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liron (Post 8635496)
lmfao.

Innit.. 12 songs max :p

Bailey Essrog 30-10-2010 08:23 PM

They need a full, year-long break without touring, recording or even thinking about music. Just drop what they're doing and go get a fucking life. Then, to get their chops back up to speed and whet their appetites, come back in early 2012 and do a five-night stand in select cities around the world where each night gets an entire album in its entirety plus their related b-sides. (That'll easily filter the newer fans into albums 4 and 5 while older fans get what they want in albums 1 to 3.) Then go into the studio for album No. 6 to be released at the end of 2012.

bILLOO 30-10-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bailey Essrog (Post 8635589)
They need a full, year-long break without touring, recording or even thinking about music. Just drop what they're doing and go get a fucking life. Then, to get their chops back up to speed and whet their appetites, come back in early 2012 and do a five-night stand in select cities around the world where each night gets an entire album in its entirety plus their related b-sides. (That'll easily filter the newer fans into albums 4 and 5 while older fans get what they want in albums 1 to 3.) Then go into the studio for album No. 6 to be released at the end of 2012.

If they would do an album a night for select cities (IE, London gets 6 nights. NY gets 6 nights etc) then PLEASE become their manager!

mentlegen. 30-10-2010 08:39 PM

Bliss live?

I've been thinking about Bliss. It's my (and many others) favourite song ever, and, as I didn't get tickets for the Saturday Wembley gig, I didn't get to see it. They've been playing it less and less lately, and by the time their next album (if they do one) comes out and they go on tour, will they phase it out altogether?

I'm just worried that I'll never get to see my favourite song live. It looks bloody immense. Although, sometime ago, Matt said that the next album would be 'back to their roots' (not sure of the actual quote), so, maybe there is hope? I don't know. I mean, this forum is full of nutcases who want Escape live :p, and that'll probably never happen given the nature of this tour (and, by continuation, the next).:(

Just a bit of a worrisome rant for me. Feel free to troll me, if you want.

EDIT: Oh bollocks, put this in Gigs and Tours section :facepalm:. Maybe the Songs and Releases section would be more appropriate. Feel free to get rid of this is you feel this is the case.

Ian. 30-10-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bailey Essrog (Post 8635589)

You have a great point, now lets see how I can twist this into my own ideas. Pre-new album touring, they could have a mini tour, super exclusive, only hitting major venues one night each. Strictly dedicated to everything pre-Resistance playing the songs that aren't the album singles/currently played popular songs. They could easily hit the songs that people miss hearing.

It's a great thought, but I'm sure its not very obtainable. I don't think they would go for it, not to mention people would be killing each other over tickets, haha.