PDA

View Full Version : Did Muse just "ebow the letter" the 2nd Law and their commercial viability?

rockmuse1
30-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Quick history.... In 1997 R.E.M. was at the peak of their career after 8 studio albums and was still riding high when their new album "New adventures in Hi-Fi" was set to release. Despite the album being full of commercially viable songs, the band decided to release the artistic and languid "Ebow the Letter" as their first radio single. Although a nice beautiful song, the song tanked commercially which only made their second single less palatable for radio play. Once they lost the momentum they never got it back with that album or others in the future.

I'm suggesting that the ridiclous idea to release Madness as their first single may prove analogous.

AJ20R
30-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Except Survival was the first single, and it seems to be played quite a lot.

AloFury
30-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Quick history.... In 1997 R.E.M. was at the peak of their career after 8 studio albums and was still riding high when their new album "New adventures in Hi-Fi" was set to release. Despite the album being full of commercially viable songs, the band decided to release the artistic and languid "Ebow the Letter" as their first radio single. Although a nice beautiful song, the song tanked commercially which only made their second single less palatable for radio play. Once they lost the momentum they never got it back with that album or others in the future.

I'm suggesting that the ridiclous idea to release Madness as their first single may prove analogous.

Not sure.. if anything to me, it seems they still strive to reel in new fans..
With The Resistance they should have put MK Ultra out as one of their first songs as that was a pure belter.

With The 2nd Law, Unsustainable (if slightly longer) would also have been the song to really launch the album, grab new fans by the throat, shake them about and take them on the journey with the single releases. Its good that Fans/boardies etc got to hear that first but 'the kids' should also have had that same experience.

Niall
30-08-2012, 01:23 PM
I guess we're rolling with the pretending Survival didn't happen universe then.

It's not surprising someone would wonder this given the poor chart performance so far in Europe (although 8 on the Billboard rock charts is respectable, eve if this song is barely rock).

I guess we won't know until we hear the album how good an analogy this is. The rest of the album may be a lot less radio friendly. I don't think it works for the single though as Madness is quite an upbeat, catchy sounding song and E-Bow is not at all, so in those terms I'd say Madness had the signs of being commercially viable. Why it failed to chart well in the first week is odd though.

mjartrod
30-08-2012, 01:35 PM
You're talking about the UK charts, right?

Cos I was just reading a thread in the Media section and apparently it's doing very very well in the US.

Museic Syndrome
30-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Survival was not the official first single.

Niall
30-08-2012, 02:03 PM

But it was first. It was official. And it was a single. :LOL:

CarrieB
30-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Much too early I think to make any judgement at all.

Dockertae
30-08-2012, 02:36 PM

I'm with Niall on this one. I might feel differently if the Madness release had a b-side, or a physical version or anything to distinguish it, but as it is the releases are pretty much identical - you can download the single track from itunes or muse.mu and that's it.

Saying it's the first "official" single means about as much to me as if you said Uprising was the official 12th song on The Resistance.

Jobby
30-08-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm with Niall on this one. I might feel differently if the Madness release had a b-side, or a physical version or anything to distinguish it, but as it is the releases are pretty much identical - you can download the single track from itunes or muse.mu and that's it.

Saying it's the first "official" single means about as much to me as if you said Uprising was the official 12th song on The Resistance.

I assume the physical release is coming soon, maybe at the same time the video gets released. Hopefully, it'll have some form of b-side too, whether that be a radio edit, remix or (ideally, but unrealistically) an original song. Something's better than nothing.

Niall
30-08-2012, 03:09 PM
I doubt it. We'd get a preorder or something if there was a physical release. I wish there was one but it's a bit late now. The album is out in less than a month.

Museic Syndrome
30-08-2012, 03:23 PM

Yeah but if the Olympics didn't happen, Survival wouldn't be first to be released. And I believe that the band consider it a first single, so they would any way choose it to be the first single....

Jobby
30-08-2012, 03:28 PM
I doubt it. We'd get a preorder or something if there was a physical release. I wish there was one but it's a bit late now. The album is out in less than a month.

Damn, well that's disappointing :(

Oh Hannah
30-08-2012, 03:43 PM
What a depressing idea. I think the 2nd law could do very well

Jobby
30-08-2012, 03:51 PM
What a depressing idea. I think the 2nd law could do very well

I don't think it'll do as well commercially as The Resistance, but I think it'll do alright.

Oh Hannah
30-08-2012, 03:53 PM
I don't think it'll do as well commercially as The Resistance, but I think it'll do alright.

Yeh I agree

That Little Animal
30-08-2012, 05:12 PM
1997 is not 2012. The music industry and the impact of singles is completely different now, with the internets and all that.

Seaking
30-08-2012, 05:17 PM

It will. Only because TR increased their worldwide (most importantly in North America) fanbase quite a bit.

JessicaSarahS
30-08-2012, 05:22 PM
1997 is not 2012. The music industry and the impact of singles is completely different now, with the internets and all that.

Agreed. It has plenty of views on youtube and it is often played on the radio in my area. I think it'll receive more recognition once the video is out.

SoberBaby
30-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Agreed. It has plenty of views on youtube and it is often played on the radio in my area. I think it'll receive more recognition once the video is out.

Plus, Muse didn't really become commercialy friendly until OOS and even then they weren't amazingly huge.

Museic Syndrome
30-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Honestly I don't care how it will do , I care about the good music which I still have hopes for. Despite Madness and the other two which I am not crazy about either.

SerpentSatellite
30-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I care a bit more about Muse's commercial success, as it's directly related to my chances of ever getting to see them live again...

Hopefully the label finds some way to at least *attempt* to inform the US that there's a new album...
The SNL is a step in the right direction, I guess... but does anyone watch that anymore?!?

HomesickSubterranean
30-08-2012, 09:42 PM
For those hoping for a Madness b-side...I read a french interview (I don't speak French but I translated it) and Chris said there won't be any b-sides. I'll look for it now.

Here it is. (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9ir5yBoJg1rb29mho8_1280.jpg)

Jobby
30-08-2012, 09:44 PM
For those hoping for a Madness b-side...I read a french interview (I don't speak French but I translated it) and Chris said there won't be any b-sides. I'll look for it now.

There won't be any b-sides for anything from the album or just for Madness?

Seaking
30-08-2012, 10:23 PM

Funny. The one interview I didn't bother to read.

Ya Matt clearly he says they are done with B-sides.

HomesickSubterranean
30-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Funny. The one interview I didn't bother to read.

Ya Matt clearly he says they are done with B-sides.

I didn't pick that up when I read it :(

This album better be good then.

Oh Hannah
30-08-2012, 10:28 PM

Could someone translate it please?

Jobby
30-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Could someone translate it please?

I've translated a bit (extremely roughly, the page cuts off but you can get the gist) where Chris says they aren't playing b-sides or old, obscure songs live because some fans might not know them, even though Chris says he wants to play them. I'll try and find the bit about not recording any b-sides now.

Oh Hannah
30-08-2012, 11:18 PM
If they don't know them then it will be good for them the hear them :phu:

Kueller917
30-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Chris says they aren't playing b-sides or old, obscure songs live because some fans might not know them,

fuck

Seaking
30-08-2012, 11:22 PM
M.B: We don't do any anymore. At the beginning it was essentially a way to get as many songs as possible, to offer them to the label so that we can see what will accompany the singles. Even if we finish with more songs than expected,

The next page is cut off so I'm not sure.

I can't see where Chris talks about B-Sides at all. At least not in the photo posted.

Jobby
30-08-2012, 11:26 PM
M.B: We don't do any anymore. At the beginning it was essentially a way to get as many songs as possible, to offer them to the label so that we can see what will accompany the singles. Even if we finish with more songs than expected,

The next page is cut off so I'm not sure.

Something like 'Even if we finish with more songs than expected, they're not used at all. Perhaps this is linked to the fact the songs are better than before (laughs)!'.

Basically though:

fuck

i.wish.i.RAWR!
30-08-2012, 11:42 PM
fuck

Seriously, I despise their logic with this. Assholes.

that-girl-over-there
30-08-2012, 11:43 PM
No b-sides?
Some of my favourite songs are b-sides.
:(
Whhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Jobby
31-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Also, Matt says something about how Plug In Baby will always have a place in setlists but it will probably start to become less regular than before. It is hard to translate though as the page cuts off the last word on each line. When a proper scan comes up, we'll be able to translate it properly.

SoberBaby
31-08-2012, 12:15 AM
No more Japanese Bonus tracks....nothing.....:C I hope they still do New Born live though....that riff is awe-inspiring.

HomesickSubterranean
31-08-2012, 12:40 AM
One step closer to a greatest hits band

jdeboer01
31-08-2012, 02:01 AM
From the reviews I've read, and from interviews with the band, I'm getting the feeling that this album is going to be.........awkward. Kind of like... Muse does R&B! Muse does Funk! Muse does Dubstep! Muse does Metal! Muse does Classic Rock! Muse does Movie Soundtracks!

Are they bored or something? Why can't Muse just do muse? I mean it sounds like they're becoming schizophrenic. What's next? Muse does reggae?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dXpJpZcNuw

Kueller917
31-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Muse does ____ was really one of the biggest issues of The Resistance too.

Seaking
31-08-2012, 02:15 AM
I get what you are saying. Recent (from Abso-T2L) has had a mix of genres. There is a way to make it work, not saying they will but it is possible. For the most part BH&R despite having quite a few different styles of song on it.

Kueller917
31-08-2012, 02:19 AM
I'm all for mix of genres but it depends on how it's done. Like in Unsustainable when the "drop" breakdown comes in it just sounds way too much like so much other brostep out there. But afterwards when they mix it up with the strings and the guitars chugging and Matt's vocals it becomes something really great.

jdeboer01
31-08-2012, 03:33 AM
I get what you are saying. Recent (from Abso-T2L) has had a mix of genres. There is a way to make it work, not saying they will but it is possible. For the most part BH&R despite having quite a few different styles of song on it.

Yea, I agree that it was somewhat of an "issue" w/TR. I think that schizo trend started with BH&R -- but it was......tolerable with that album. I really don't listen to TR because it has no flow. I don't FEEL it, man. :LOL:

Will the REAL Muse, please stand up? :LOL:

Seaking
31-08-2012, 03:52 AM
Yea, I agree that it was somewhat of an "issue" w/TR. I think that schizo trend started with BH&R -- but it was......tolerable with that album. I really don't listen to TR because it has no flow. I don't FEEL it, man. :LOL:

Will the REAL Muse, please stand up? :LOL:

I'd agree there wasn't a real cohesiveness in TR but it flowed pretty well.

I think Absolution is the low point in terms of flow.

Travis III
31-08-2012, 04:14 AM
I never thought their "cohesive" albums flowed particularly well. OoS to me sounds less than the sum of its parts, simply because of the lack of momentum, atmosphere or variation, particularly in the first half of the album. It's a great collection of songs, but I rarely listen to it the whole way through.
TR, despite the actual songs arguably being weaker, works better as an album because of the stylistic variation and juxtapositions between songs, as well as the unexpected moments within the songs themselves. It does all sound a bit schizophrenic, but IMO keeps things interesting and the album as a whole feels like more than the sum of its parts.

Back on topic, I don't think you can really compare this with a single released in the mid 90s simply because, as someone else has pointed out, the music industry is so different now, as is the way people consume music. Was Madness probably the best choice for a lead single? Probably not. As much as I like the song I don't think it really has a lot of mainstream appeal, and the relative lack of chart success seems to confirm this. From what has been described I'd say Panic Station or Big Freeze would have worked better. Then again, I haven't heard those songs so I really can't be sure.

/wall of text

jdeboer01
31-08-2012, 04:19 AM
I will be SO bummed if this album is a letdown...... like I suspect it might be. Although I have to admit, I'm very excited to hear Chris's songwriting prowess! :D If his songs are good, then there may be a fresh, new confidence in him to write more material. And you know, Chris could do a whole album by himself. ;) He can play all the instruments. :) Hmmmmmm.......

Anyway, I find something....... uneasy about Muse's growing pension for coping multiple genres. It's getting silly. If this album is a bummer, I truly hope they take some time off of music and FIND themselves. Lol.

Citizen_Eraser
31-08-2012, 05:01 AM
Madness is probably one of the most commercially viable muse singles ever. Along with UD and Uprising. This is coming from someone looking at the American music scene though. Its tanking because it wasn't marketed at all and theres no video for it. Once it gets some more radio play (if it does) itll pick up.

I remember here in the states KOC was the first single to get radio play off that album and loads of play did it get. Multiple times a day on the same rock station. And then next came SMBH which got played for a couple weeks before it tanked and they went back to playing KOC. Must remember this was pre-twilight. And smbh did not sit well with Americans.

Urgamanix
31-08-2012, 12:56 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread, considering the amount of momentum behind Muse before the launch of Madness, their chart performance is absolutely shocking.

Muse will care about their chart position - because they are in a business to make money, not just have fun and be popular.

Warner Bros. will care about their chart position - because they ARE a business and it reflects better on their business in all cases when they are number 1.

We should care about their chart position - because we are Muse fans and want them to do well.

Madness is radio friendly (especially the radio edit), but to be honest the media and sales campaign setup couldn't be worse. Where's the physical releases? Where's the video? What were they thinking?

CarrieB
31-08-2012, 01:04 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread, considering the amount of momentum behind Muse before the launch of Madness, their chart performance is absolutely shocking.

Muse will care about their chart position - because they are in a business to make money, not just have fun and be popular.

Warner Bros. will care about their chart position - because they ARE a business and it reflects better on their business in all cases when they are number 1.

We should care about their chart position - because we are Muse fans and want them to do well.

Madness is radio friendly (especially the radio edit), but to be honest the media and sales campaign setup couldn't be worse. Where's the physical releases? Where's the video? What were they thinking?

Well they obviously didn't care about it, or else they would have had a strategy to at least try and make it chart well, which they didn't, so I don't really see how you are able to make assumptions that everyone would care about it.

Urgamanix
31-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Well they obviously didn't care about it, or else they would have had a strategy to at least try and make it chart well, which they didn't, so I don't really see how you are able to make assumptions that everyone would care about it.

You're right - let's take the assumptions away.

Take Muse out of the equation. They don't care.
Take us out of the equation as well. We don't care.

Do you agree that we can't take Warner out of the equation, as they are a business and only exist to make money?

If you agree with that, then my point still holds. It's Warner that handles sales activities and I'm guessing the lions share of media scheduling, not the band.

CarrieB
31-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Then take Muse out of the equation. They don't care.
Even better - take us out of the equation as well. We don't care.

Do you agree that we can't take Warner out of the equation, as they are a business and only exist to make money?

If you agree with that, then my point still holds. It's Warner that handles sales activities and I'm guessing the lions share of media scheduling, not the band.

Well, as I understand it, the singles don't make much money, because the sales are quite small in number and they are so cheap. So I suppose it depends on how viable, a lot of promotion focused on the single would be.

Saying that, it sounds like a lot of time and effort (and probably money) has gone into the video for the single which is, of course, being released a lot later than the single release. From that I would guess that the focus is on using the single to promote the album, rather than bothering about singles charts. Of course the same goes for the tour, which will also be given a lot of time, trouble and money, no doubt.

I think there will be some disappointment if the album does badly in the album charts, especially after The Resistance was so successful (really I'm referring mainly to Muse and fans there). Hopefully, fingers crossed, that won't happen, but at the end of the day it will be long term sales, I should think, that will matter to Warner most.

Alec.
31-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Madness is probably one of the most commercially viable muse singles ever. Along with UD and Uprising. This is coming from someone looking at the American music scene though. Its tanking because it wasn't marketed at all and theres no video for it. Once it gets some more radio play (if it does) itll pick up.

I remember here in the states KOC was the first single to get radio play off that album and loads of play did it get. Multiple times a day on the same rock station. And then next came SMBH which got played for a couple weeks before it tanked and they went back to playing KOC. Must remember this was pre-twilight. And smbh did not sit well with Americans.

Agreed. If Muse can get radio play out of a song seven minutes long they'll do fine with this.

Niall
31-08-2012, 02:19 PM
If Warner genuinely didn't care about singles then there wouldn't be this talk of Madness's "commercial viability".

And the problem remains that Madness spent only a week in the top 40 at 35 while it's been steadily gaining ground in the US. Why the discrepancy? Is the UK single market just not worth the effort to anyone who isn't Simon Cowell?

Alec.
31-08-2012, 02:24 PM
If Warner genuinely didn't care about singles then there wouldn't be this talk of Madness's "commercial viability".

And the problem remains that Madness spent only a week in the top 40 at 35 while it's been steadily gaining ground in the US. Why the discrepancy? Is the UK single market just not worth the effort to anyone who isn't Simon Cowell?

Muse want to get big in the US and they've already got colossal footholds in Europe. Dom said as much in the last Q feature, which suggests that their campaign is focusing largely on the States. Maybe that's the reason.

Raiko
01-09-2012, 03:11 PM
I think the quality of the previous album can have a great effect on it's follow-up, regardless of how much better, or worse, the following album may be. I also think it can impact the singles that go with that album as interest in the band will have faded somewhat. The Resistance isn't many people's favourite album and it's not quite as exciting or as surprising as Black Holes was, either.

I'm doubting whether they'll top the album charts in the UK this time. 2nd or 3rd seems quite likely though.

ChrisirhC
02-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Except Survival was the first single, and it seems to be played quite a lot.

Only because of the olympics.

Terrible song writing.

hyper_chondriac_muser
02-09-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure they're all that interested in singles chart success. I think they - band and label - invest their efforts in album sales and tours etc, as that's what most of their promo/interviews etc centres around and probably where most of their commercial and financial success comes from. If they were really concerned with Madness making the top 10, say, wouldn't they have given radio stations the song weeks in advance of its release so people actually heard it and wanted to buy it, rather than having us hear it for the first time on the day of its release? Maybe I'm missing something, but that's how it's translating to me.

muse maniac
04-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Terrible song writing.

In your opinion.

AJ20R
04-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Terrible song writing.

Doesnt change the fact it was the first single and played everywhere

SerpentSatellite
04-09-2012, 12:32 PM

Radio play varies so much in different areas of the US it's stunning, but overall SMBH did quite well in the US, considering.
I'm also pretty sure it charted higher than KoC, although KoC got more radio play in a lot of areas, depending on radio station genres.

It was the opposite, here. KoC wasn't "rock" enough for our rock stations, and not mainstream enough for Top 40. Since we had no "Alternative" stations, KoC was not played here at all.

Strangeseas
04-09-2012, 12:41 PM
In your opinion.

Too much Sippe influence in here. Stop it. Just stop it. :(

It was the opposite, here. KoC wasn't "rock" enough for our rock stations, and not mainstream enough for Top 40. Since we had no "Alternative" stations, KoC was not played here at all.

KoC not rock enough. :rolleyes: Thatīs what I call a shitty rock station.

Really, I think the promotion for T2L will definitely gain some momentum with the upcoming release of the Madness video.

AloFury
04-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Muse want to get big in the US and they've already got colossal footholds in Europe. Dom said as much in the last Q feature, which suggests that their campaign is focusing largely on the States. Maybe that's the reason.

Its no surprise they want world dominiation and they really want to crack America as there are so many untapped sources of income, and many new fans that havent heard their old stuff played live (and never will do).

As for the no show of b-sides.. grab my bollocks! i can only hope those songs that never made it are kept safe for some future release, but i srsly highly doubt it.

muse maniac
04-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Too much Sippe influence in here. Stop it. Just stop it. :(

KoC not rock enough. :rolleyes: Thatīs what I call a shitty rock station.

Really, I think the promotion for T2L will definitely gain some momentum the upcoming release of the Madness video.

There is no sippe influence :phu:

Agreed, KoC ROCKs!

Chagi
04-09-2012, 03:09 PM
As for the no show of b-sides.. grab my bollocks! i can only hope those songs that never made it are kept safe for some future release, but i srsly highly doubt it.

What songs?

muse maniac
04-09-2012, 06:17 PM
What songs?

The ones they started writing but didn't like so they chucked them out. I think Chris mentioned them in an interview.

panicstation8400
23-12-2012, 07:21 PM
muse are really successful in the us,

face it, MADNESS fell off the uk and german chart after only 4 and 5 weeks respectively

in the us, MADNESS is really successful, it was number 1 on the alternative rock songs for over 11 weeks !
it reached only # 60 on the billboard hot 100, but it is now on this chart for 17 weeks ! and has sold nearly 500,000 copies

my cousin visit me in 2007 and then i introduced him to MUSE, now he reported me, that they play MADNESS a couple of times on mainstream radio stations

they are really successful in the us, matt has a girlfriend named Kate hudson, they had a big hit with Uprising, it has sold nearly 2 million copies there, unbelievable, americans show taste of music

Seaking
23-12-2012, 07:23 PM

face it, MADNESS fell off the uk and german chart after only 4 and 5 weeks respectively

in the us, MADNESS is really successful, it was number 1 on the alternative rock songs for over 11 weeks !
it reached only # 60 on the billboard hot 100, but it is now on this chart for 17 weeks ! and has sold nearly 500,000 copies

my cousin visit me in 2007 and then i introduced him to MUSE, now he reported me, that they play MADNESS a couple of times on mainstream radio stations

they are really successful in the us, matt has a girlfriend named Kate hudson, they had a big hit with Uprising, it has sold nearly 2 million copies there, unbelievable, americans show taste of music

/Muse

"that they play MADNESS a couple of times on mainstream radio stations"

/Muse

"they are really successful in the us, matt has a girlfriend named Kate hudson,"

/Muse

But ya Madness has been successful in the US.

Jobby
23-12-2012, 07:29 PM

Cool, it's nice to know that MUSE and MADNESS are really successful in AMERICA now. I guess this really does definitively mean that AMERICANS have GOOD taste in MUSIC.

Kueller917
23-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Cool, it's nice to know that MUSE and MADNESS are really successful in AMERICA now. I guess this really does definitively mean that AMERICANS have GOOD taste in MUSIC.

It does.

panicstation8400
23-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm surprised what is going on now on us hot 100,

the times in which the hot 100 was dominated by boring RNB and HIP HOP are history

FUN
GOTYE
ELLIE GOULDING
MUSE
FOSTER THE PEOPLE
CARLY JEPSEN
ALEX CLARE etc.

these are the people who rule the hot 100 now, 5 years ago they had not the chance to even chart on # 100 there

i analyzed the hot 100 over the years and found out, there is a strength trend to good music and also from europe

remembers me of the 80s in which also good european music ruled the hot 100
although i was born in 1985 :-)

but uk charts on the other hand suck, americans rule the charts for a couple of years

Luxemburger Queen
23-12-2012, 08:06 PM
matt has a girlfriend named Kate hudson

shit really? when did this happen?!

bucket_
23-12-2012, 08:09 PM

new goss omg

panicstation8400
23-12-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm sorry but i didn't intend to say that you guys do not know that Kate hudson is his girlfriend :-)

kate hudson a multimillionaire hollywood a list celebrity is dating Muse singer, which is not a bad indicator isn't it ?
look at chris martin
years ago they were unknown in the usa

Keth
23-12-2012, 08:17 PM
I learnt so much today.

Seaking
23-12-2012, 08:20 PM

Depends on when you think Muse started making shit music.

fabripav
23-12-2012, 08:27 PM
kate hudson a multimillionaire hollywood a list celebrity is dating Muse singer, which is not a bad indicator isn't it ?
look at chris martin
years ago they were unknown in the usa

Is it an indicator at all? :LOL: :LOL:

panicstation8400
23-12-2012, 08:29 PM
you guys want to learn something new ??

lets take a look at Muse and their us success

according to billboard and nielsen soundscan and other sources

they have sold a lot of records there

2003 ABSOLUTION 525,000
2006 BLACK HOLES 750,000
2009 THE RESISTANCE 812,000
2012 THE SECOND LAW 230,000+

2004 HYSTERIA 200,000 (# 117 on the hot 100 )
2007 STARLIGHT 525-800,000 (# 101 )
2009 UPRISING 2,000,000 (# 37)
2010 THE RESISTANCE 300,000 (# 114)
2010 NEUTRON COLLISION 250,000 ( # 77)
2012 SURVIVAL 80,000 --
2012 MADNESS 476,000+ (# 60)

Luxemburger Queen
23-12-2012, 08:30 PM
you guys want to learn something new ??

noap.

Keth
23-12-2012, 08:31 PM
This guy is like a Parody account of muse s'amuse

fabripav
23-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Hey muse's amuse, they're stealing your job (poorly) here.

fabripav
23-12-2012, 08:32 PM
This guy is like a Parody account of muse s'amuse

stop thinking what I think :fear:

Keth
23-12-2012, 08:32 PM
omg fabri we were meant to be <3

Tjet
23-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Chris Martin got married in 2003. Unless "years ago" means 10 years ago then I'd say their music had quite a lot to do with their rise in fame...

DifferentPerson
23-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Chris Martin got married in 2003. Unless "years ago" means 10 years ago then I'd say their music had quite a lot to do with their rise in fame...

Exactly what I was thinking. The only time Coldplay weren't big in the US was before they released Yellow. :chuckle:

Tjet
23-12-2012, 08:39 PM
they have sold a lot of records there
Brilliant conclusion.

panicstation8400
23-12-2012, 08:59 PM
of course gwyneth paltrow didn't help them so much to be successful but its not bad to have a wife who is an a list celebrity

believe me it helps so much to be talked about

:-)

2001 when i was in the us yellow was played only by kroq and they got zero airplay but other stations ignored it as a result it sold 500,000 copies but reached only # 51 on the hot 100

at the same time nICKELBACKS how you remind me sold also 500,000 singles but reached number 1 on the hot 100, because it was well received by radio stations

now chris martin and gwyn are on every tabloid, photographs and reports,

even in a small children magazine there was a report about them

it is not bad to have a wife and a mother in law like Kate hudson and Goldie hawn respectively

it helps and people talk about matt and then about muse,

fabripav
23-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Kojane
23-12-2012, 09:42 PM

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

nICKELBACKS

lol nickelback

Kueller917
23-12-2012, 09:43 PM
http://mingersoft.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Mac-Logo-150x150.png

Seaking
23-12-2012, 09:48 PM
( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°)

Peter.
23-12-2012, 09:50 PM
of course gwyneth paltrow didn't help them so much to be successful but its not bad to have a wife who is an a list celebrity

believe me it helps so much to be talked about

2001 when i was in the us yellow was played only by kroq and they got zero airplay but other stations ignored it as a result it sold 500,000 copies but reached only # 51 on the hot 100

at the same time nICKELBACKS how you remind me sold also 500,000 singles but reached number 1 on the hot 100, because it was well received by radio stations

now chris martin and gwyn are on every tabloid, photographs and reports,

even in a small children magazine there was a report about them

it is not bad to have a wife and a mother in law like Kate hudson and Goldie hawn respectively

it helps and people talk about matt and then about muse,

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

lol nickelback

http://mingersoft.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Mac-Logo-150x150.png

( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°)

yet another fine day on the Muse boards:LOL:

Kojane
23-12-2012, 09:50 PM
( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Kueller917
23-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Not this again.

Please.

Seaking
23-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Fuck, I wanted to use it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°)

It took me a while to find it

( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°)

fabripav
Not this again.

Please.

Deal.

With.

It.

Kueller917
inb4 mods

Seaking
23-12-2012, 09:53 PM
inb4 mods

We are the mods

( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°)

bumpypotato
23-12-2012, 10:09 PM
This thread makes me think it would be awesome if Matt used an Ebow

Keth
24-12-2012, 05:28 AM
What is this thread

JessicaSarahS
24-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Stop posting those smilies! :mad:

panicstation8400
10-03-2013, 10:11 PM
this thread about the ebow the letter or jump the shark of muse is a shame and should be deleted

there is no discussion that Madness has become their greatest and most successful in the usa in terms of commercial stability on pop + mainstream radio

Cyndris
10-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Nice bump mate!