PDA

View Full Version : Survival Live?

DifferentPerson
28-06-2012, 05:06 PM
So, now that we have Survival, how do you guys think it will fit into live performances (if it is played live at all)? Do you think they will have extra musicians or a choir onstage, or will it all be done by Morgan? Whereabouts in setlists do you think it will end up? Could it be a concert opener, closer, or neither? Discuss! :)
(sorry if this is in the wrong section by the way or if someone has already made this thread)

Clunge
28-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Doesn't feel like an opener or closer to me.

Could work as the transition song from piano back to guitar, put in some epic buildup before the song kicks off at 1.25. That would rock - Matt starting on piano and the switching to guitar :awesome:.

mapoftheglorious
28-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Not sure how it will be performed live yet but it will definitley be played live. It will be getting worldwide exposure and plus theyre performing it at the closing ceremony so it will be well rehersed by the time the tour comes round.
It will be a beast live, im sure of that.

Dockertae
28-06-2012, 05:22 PM
It's definitely one I'm looking forward to, as the olympic song I'm assuming it'll be played at every gig this year at least. I can see it closing sometimes but I might be wrong.

Mounta1nGoat
28-06-2012, 05:39 PM
I think it will have to have some kind of combination of fireworks and fire due to the nature of it :D.

Dillyracer
28-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Wonder how he's going to do the piano parts, just let Morgan play them?

That Little Animal
28-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Not sure how it will be performed live yet but it will definitley be played live. It will be getting worldwide exposure and plus theyre performing it at the closing ceremony so it will be well rehersed by the time the tour comes round.

I assume they'll get the help of a choir and orchestra for the closing ceremony at least. Not sure how they'll do it on tour.

Mr. ORANGE
28-06-2012, 05:45 PM
I assume they'll get the help of a choir and orchestra for the closing ceremony at least. Not sure how they'll do it on tour.
A little different and hopefully (for me) not that cheesy... :-)

Niall
28-06-2012, 06:10 PM
I kind of hope it is the closer so I can beat the rush to the trains after every muse gig for the next few years.

DifferentPerson
28-06-2012, 06:11 PM
I kind of hope it is the closer so I can beat the rush to the trains after every muse gig for the next few years.

:LOL: I take it you don't like it that much then?

fabripav
28-06-2012, 06:25 PM
What if tickets increased because they'll bring choir and orchestra on tour :eek:

EXOPOLITICIAN
28-06-2012, 06:26 PM
As I said somewhere else, just so as you know, instruments will be prerecorded at all performances in the Olympic Stadium because of the bad sound quality or something so...

TERZi
28-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah, in middle of the setlist.

Could work as the transition song from piano back to guitar, put in some epic buildup before the song kicks off at 1.25. That would rock - Matt starting on piano and the switching to guitar :awesome:.

Right!! :p

Gareeh
28-06-2012, 06:56 PM
What if tickets increased because they'll bring choir and orchestra on tour :eek:

:LOL:

MartinSM
28-06-2012, 06:56 PM
It's going to be very interesting to hear live, with the choir, strings and backing vocals toned down and hopefully the intro will sound better. It'll be worth it just for the solo alone.

It's really not an opener or closer though, could work as the transition back to guitar as has been said, but they normally do softer songs after the piano section,

Could Matt reuse the NSC keyboard?

That Little Animal
28-06-2012, 07:09 PM
As I said somewhere else, just so as you know, instruments will be prerecorded at all performances in the Olympic Stadium because of the bad sound quality or something so...

Oh. Lame.

Gareeh
28-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Doubt it. Not what Danny Boyle would want and the acoustics in this stadium should be top notch for what it's built for.

Furygirl
28-06-2012, 07:13 PM

Oh you!

mjartrod
28-06-2012, 07:51 PM
I think the intro in piano will be skipped.

This is going to be a monster live. Looking forward to hear that moment when the guitar kicks in.

EXOPOLITICIAN
28-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Doubt it. Not what Danny Boyle would want and the acoustics in this stadium should be top notch for what it's built for.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/72216/Coldplay-Rolling-Stones-set-to-mime-at-Olympic-gig

fabripav
28-06-2012, 09:00 PM
http://www.gigwise.com/news/72216/Coldplay-Rolling-Stones-set-to-mime-at-Olympic-gig

What they say is:
"Due to the complexity involved, it's just not possible for the music in all the shows to be live," said the spokesperson. "There will be live musical elements but many of the songs will be recorded in advance. This is standard practice for an event of this scale."

Not everything. So they could still be playing. And from all the bands that will play, Muse are the less likely to accept to mime

Kueller917
28-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Not everything. So they could still be playing. And from all the bands that will play, Muse are the less likely to accept to mime

Imagine if they pulled a switch up at the Olympics :stunned:

fabripav
28-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Elton John at the piano and a full choir + strings for the Prelude :awesome:

Mc Queen
28-06-2012, 09:44 PM

:chuckle: :LOL:

bumpypotato
28-06-2012, 10:06 PM

What if they don't because they ditch the choir though?? :stongue:

bumpypotato
28-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Elton John at the piano and a full choir + strings for the Prelude :awesome:

That has potential to be :awesome:

Furygirl
29-06-2012, 03:18 AM

Oh dear god. They'd be exiled from London for all eternity for making a mockery of the games! :LOL:

Do it. :ninja:

Crackpot_Raptor
29-06-2012, 05:48 AM

Could work as the transition song from piano back to guitar, put in some epic buildup before the song kicks off at 1.25. That would rock - Matt starting on piano and the switching to guitar :awesome:.No! That's New Born's job, and I'll go to hell before I see New Born replaced by anything! :P

LaResistance
29-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Every tour/gig we dream of them finally having an orchestra, I doubt they will have one.

They'll just do what they do on the other OTT songs (BAH, USoE etc...) and use samples/Morgan for the extra parts.

I can see it being a pretty epic stormer live, it's so bombastic and has some great riffage.

Peter.
29-06-2012, 07:54 AM
I don't care what they do, as long as elton stays the fuck off the stage while Muse are performing and not get involved in any possible way, I'm fine.

Museic Syndrome
29-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Oh dear god. They'd be exiled from London for all eternity for making a mockery of the games! :LOL:

Do it. :ninja:

tomwells94
29-06-2012, 11:07 AM
If it's played live, I think it would be good to either walk on to, or to come back onto for an encore... The start, with the piano and choir can be played while they walk on, then when they get on, they start playing, from where the drums start.

Niall
29-06-2012, 11:10 AM

People say that before every tour.

fabripav
29-06-2012, 11:15 AM
People say that before every tour.

Well, this time we have at least two songs who actually have choirs.

Btw, maybe not an orchestra, but a few choir&string&brass elements?

Niall
29-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Well, this time we have at least two songs who actually have choirs.

Btw, maybe not an orchestra, but a few choir&string&brass elements?

People also say that before every tour :LOL: We were dead certain they'd have to bring out an orchestra at some point when there was a symphonic song on The Resistance. Which never happened. And then again before the Wembley gigs.

Pretty sure they'll use backing tracks like always.

tomwells94
29-06-2012, 11:43 AM
People also say that before every tour :LOL: We were dead certain they'd have to bring out an orchestra at some point when there was a symphonic song on The Resistance. Which never happened. And then again before the Wembley gigs.

Don't be so sure, it's getting more common now to bring a little string section/choir on tour... Kasabian had the Dirty Pretty Strings on their tour. It was just 4 girls with string instrumenta, but it worked. There's no need to go WAAAAYYY over the top, like Noel Gallagher did, and have something like, 80 people on stage at one time! :LOL:

Niall
29-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Muse have had years to take up the opportunity though...they may well do but I don't think it's more likely now that it has been before.

Museic Syndrome
29-06-2012, 05:23 PM

I am stilly hugely disappointed that Exogenesis wasn't performed in its entirety with the orchestra. Wembley was the perfect chance.

kazzie
29-06-2012, 05:29 PM

Like the New New born....:LOL:

I dunno. I am not overly keen on the choir to be honest.

Rylle
29-06-2012, 06:46 PM

Imagine if they played City of Delusion instead.

fabripav
29-06-2012, 06:50 PM

:awesome: for the song

:eek: for the moment

foldingstars
29-06-2012, 08:01 PM

it would fit :LOL:

hyper_chondriac_muser
29-06-2012, 08:24 PM

Agreed! Will be interesting to see how they handle the choir element for the tour, though. It's hardly as if Chris can assume the role of the whole choir, haha. If it's a backing track I'll be pissed, cos it won't feel right, but only other way is to lug a real choir around with them on the road - not sure if that'll work but would be v cool with a real choir :D.

garseys
30-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Can see this being played live on the tours. Morgan and Chris can do the male choir bit very easily. :D

Jimmyneutron
30-06-2012, 09:44 AM
I think this will be off the scales live. Absolutely Massive as an opener or start to an encore.

Also think it will open the album

Kueller917
30-06-2012, 09:47 AM
I'd be alright with it as an encore opener, maybe even a gig opener, but not so much as an album opener.

fabripav
30-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Can see this being played live on the tours. Morgan and Chris can do the male choir bit very easily. :D

Dom will do the female one.

fabripav
30-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I'd be alright with it as an encore opener, maybe even a gig opener, but not so much as an album opener.

As album opener I see Supremacy/Unsustainable way more than Survival.

Maneachicken
30-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Muse have had years to take up the opportunity though...they may well do but I don't think it's more likely now that it has been before.

If anything like they normally do for the BBC (thinking Children in Need and Jools Holland 2009), they might have a small string section, but only for the Olympic gig.

As a gig opener I see Supremacy, with the strings tumbling down into a big crash, loads of distortion wails through into Plug in Baby.

Raiga Kagekami
30-06-2012, 10:23 AM
As album opener I see Supremacy/Unsustainable way more than Survival.

I agree. Especially if that newsreader is part of the song itself.

I'm gonna assume there is something else before that bass drop and the song was edited to fit as a trailer. Would be weird to start off the album with a bass drop. :stunned:

As for Survival itself, it'll probably be near the beginning of the gig, or act as an opening for the encore.

Furygirl
30-06-2012, 12:49 PM
It's funny how we can have an opinion on the album opener, having not heard the music and all. :p

But I don't think Survival would be a good album opener. Live maybe. And maybe as album closer.

bumpypotato
30-06-2012, 12:51 PM
I see Survival as a mid album song, probably in the first half. But then again, what do I know :p

Dillyracer
30-06-2012, 01:13 PM
It's number 6 on the album. Obviously.

i.wish.i.RAWR!
30-06-2012, 01:29 PM
I hope Survival isn't an album closer. Mainly because I don't like hearing the closing song on albums until I've been able to listen to it all the way through.

Raiga Kagekami
30-06-2012, 01:34 PM
It's funny how we can have an opinion on the album opener, having not heard the music and all. :p

Not that it has anything to do with Survival being played live, I think. :LOL:

I'm sure it'll be quite fun watching it played live. Sadly, I don't think we'll be hearing that scream after the second verse often. :(

Wetoocouldbe
30-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Sorry, I opened yesterday a thread about this because I didn't see this one, my fault.
In that one I said I really want the song live in the next tour, it can be fucking epic! They could use recorded parts for the choir section and some live backing vocals.
I hope it becomes like their We are the Champions for live sets.
Oh, and in the Olympics performance I would love to see an orchestra, a live choir, maybe Elton John on the piano as someone said and Brian May on guitar! Along with Matt on guitar too or him alone, he could nail those parts and it would be very special for that event.
Sorry for my english and I hope they play Survival in Madrid!

fabripav
30-06-2012, 01:56 PM
and Brian May on guitar!

Please no

DifferentPerson
30-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Please no

Peter.
30-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Elton John in the piano

:noey::noey::noey:

Luxemburger Queen
30-06-2012, 02:04 PM
:noey::noey::noey:

Dunno man, I think I'd pay to see elton in a piano!

foldingstars
30-06-2012, 02:08 PM
And who knows, they might leave Survival out of the album (highly unlikely, but it's Muse).

Wetoocouldbe
30-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Please no

Come on, he should be there. He's one of the best guitarists of all time, he's british and if Freddie was alive, Queen would probably had been asked to make that song. Pete Townshend would be another good option.
It's just my opinion, don't flame me :)

Jobby
30-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Come on, he should be there. He's one of the best guitarists of all time, he's british and if Freddie was alive, Queen would probably had been asked to make that song. Pete Townshend would be another good option.
It's just my opinion, don't flame me :)

Meh, arguable. There'd really be no reason to have Brian May play with them, especially as that song doesn't really have any guitar part in it that sounds like something that would suit him.

Elton John, maybe - although I do recall Matt saying Elton made a pass at him once which made Matt feel pretty uneasy about meeting him in the future, I could be wrong though.

i.wish.i.RAWR!
30-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Meh, arguable. There'd really be no reason to have Brian May play with them, especially as that song doesn't really have any guitar part in it that sounds like something that would suit him.

Elton John, maybe - although I do recall Matt saying Elton made a pass at him once which made Matt feel pretty uneasy about meeting him in the future, I could be wrong though.

I think I remember something like that, too. Hilarious.

Raiga Kagekami
30-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Dunno man, I think I'd pay to see elton in a piano!

I lol-ed. :LOL:

I have a feeling they'll be playing with Elton since he's involved as well. Probably not with Brian May though.

Wetoocouldbe
30-06-2012, 02:47 PM

Now that you mention it, I think you're right about the Elton thing with Matt. I recall reading something about it a long time ago but I didn't remember it.

But about Brian, I think the opposite, lol. I think his style is pretty adequate for that middle section of the song with the guitar melodies. He has expressed admiration for Muse since the Origin days and Muse are huge Queen fans, specially Dom. I think it would be a good oportunity to play a song together.
Not that they really need someone else than themselves to play the song but I'd like to see them play something together, like when they played a song with The Edge in Glastonbury. It would be historical.

Jazzthief
30-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Now that you mention it, I think you're right about the Elton thing with Matt. I recall reading something about it a long time ago but I didn't remember it.

But about Brian, I think the opposite, lol. I think his style is pretty adequate for that middle section of the song with the guitar melodies. He has expressed admiration for Muse since the Origin days and Muse are huge Queen fans, specially Dom. I think it would be a good oportunity to play a song together.
Not that they really need someone else than themselves to play the song but I'd like to see them play something together, like when they played a song with The Edge in Glastonbury. It would be historical.

Queen is overrated and should stay the fuck away from Muse.

mjartrod
30-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Elton John, maybe - although I do recall Matt saying Elton made a pass at him once which made Matt feel pretty uneasy about meeting him in the future, I could be wrong though. I remember that, it was in an interview on triple J a few years ago, it was hysterical :LOL: He rambled and rambled to basically say how Elton John had invited him to his room and how Matt felt uncomfortable with it. Must hunt that to re-listen :LOL:

I have a feeling that Elton John was actually the pianist that Matt mentioned in the interview with Zane the other day. And I honestly can see it happen - Elton John playing the intro on piano and then Muse taking the stage. It's the kind of collaboration that you see in this sort of ceremonies.

Don't have anything against Brian May, but since this is a Muse song, i'd rather have the band alone playing.

Wetoocouldbe
30-06-2012, 08:12 PM

I was going to ask how old are you but I saw 16 in your avatar and everything made sense. I'm not critizing your taste, I'm saying your sentence seemed to come from someone younger than me who maybe don't appreciate a band like Queen and their impact just because all they know from them is their overplayed singles in radio stations. Their influence and contribution to rock music is incredible and undeniable.

hyper_chondriac_muser
30-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Surely, but surely, they have to go all out at the Closing Ceremony! It would be the perfect place to do a one-off performance of Survival with the whole works: choir, orchestra - everything. It's meant to be a spectacle to close 'the greatest show on earth', so it would be a complete cop-out and crime, imo, if they used backing tracks instead of the real thing(s). They can use backing-tracks for the rest of the live shows, but not at London 2012. I'd judge them :phu:.

rickdiculous
30-06-2012, 09:26 PM
I was going to ask how old are you but I saw 16 in your avatar and everything made sense. I'm not critizing your taste, I'm saying your sentence seemed to come from someone younger than me who maybe don't appreciate a band like Queen and their impact just because all they know from them is their overplayed singles in radio stations. Their influence and contribution to rock music is incredible and undeniable.
Quoted for truth. Kids these days...

Vixna
30-06-2012, 09:35 PM
I think Survival is one of those songs that live would be epic and would make you like the song more.

Maneachicken
30-06-2012, 09:36 PM

Ah, you're 16.

Your naivity is now authorised.

Oh Hannah
30-06-2012, 10:48 PM
I think Survival is one of those songs that live would be epic and would make you like the song more.

Yeh im hoping it gains more fans and will be appreciated after they play it. However all the people attending the closing ceremony are going to be forced to watch muse and see how epic they are live, and being Kinda protective of them I don't want all those new fans joining :chuckle: guess this is what people felt like after twilight...

fabripav
30-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Yeh im hoping it gains more fans and will be appreciated after they play it. However all the people attending the closing ceremony are going to be forced to watch muse and see how epic they are live, and being Kinda protective of them I don't want all those new fans joining :chuckle: guess this is what people felt like after twilight...

The band deserves it, so I have no problems at all :chuckle: at least they won't be all 14 years old fangirls

Oh Hannah
30-06-2012, 10:56 PM
The band deserves it, so I have no problems at all :chuckle: at least they won't be all 14 years old fangirls

Yes I guess I shouldn't be so selfish :p even my mum told me I should 'think of the band' haha like I never do that....

Kueller917
30-06-2012, 10:56 PM

You mean you're not actually a 14 year old fangirl :pope:

Oh Hannah
30-06-2012, 10:57 PM

I was :fear:

fabripav
30-06-2012, 10:57 PM

No, I'm a 13 year old fangirl :phu:

Kueller917
30-06-2012, 10:58 PM
No, I'm a 13 year old fangirl :phu:

Cool so am I :happy:

fabripav
30-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Cool so am I :happy:

Omg soulmates :awesome:

Tofu
30-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Right, I like Queen and all, but I just don't see the point of Brian May playing guitar on a Muse song when Matt would be perfectly fine playing it himself. It's not like when they invited Edge to play a U2 song with them.

TheMuseSmurf
01-07-2012, 04:33 PM
wonder if they'll play more than one song at the Olympics - Butterflies and Hurricanes and Survival could work

Jobby
01-07-2012, 08:49 PM
wonder if they'll play more than one song at the Olympics - Butterflies and Hurricanes and Survival could work

I'd expect they'd choose either Uprising, USOE, Knights or maybe MOTP.

Edit: I wonder if Matt will be able to pull off those vocals for the closing ceremony. It'd be a bit embarrassing if, after people will have heard Survival so many times during the course of the games, Matt fails it live :chuckle:

Kueller917
01-07-2012, 08:57 PM
I don't see any reason why he would fail to do it. He would just choose not to do it.

Oh Hannah
01-07-2012, 08:59 PM
I'd expect they'd choose either Uprising, USOE, Knights or maybe MOTP.

Edit: I wonder if Matt will be able to pull off those vocals for the closing ceremony. It'd be a bit embarrassing if, after people will have heard Survival so many times during the course of the games, Matt fails it live :chuckle:

I think he will for the ceremony but not on the tour :(

fabripav
01-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't see any reason why he would fail to do it. He would just choose not to do it.

He'll do it at the closing ceremony, he totally won't do it on the tour.

edit: Hannah you're fast :mad:

Oh Hannah
01-07-2012, 09:02 PM

;)

Ryoma-kun
01-07-2012, 09:07 PM

Since he's such a pussy though, he'll probably do the regular 'pull away 30 feet from the mic' once he starts belting so you only hear a split second of it then he'll just start riff so he thinks no one will notice.

Oh Hannah
01-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Since he's such a pussy though, he'll probably do the regular 'pull away 30 feet from the mic' once he starts belting so you only hear a split second of it then he'll just start riff so he thinks no one will notice.

Aw Matty <333

fabripav
01-07-2012, 09:18 PM

Sshhhh, don't spoil his tricks :shifty:

Ryoma-kun
01-07-2012, 09:18 PM
But fear not, he'll wimp out on the Bb4 in the song but luckily for us he'll belt a B4 "Thank you London" afterwards instead.

fabripav
01-07-2012, 09:21 PM
But fear not, he'll wimp out on the Bb4 in the song but luckily for us he'll belt a B4 "Thank you London" afterwards instead.

THIS :LOL:

"Thank you London Olympics ceremony you fucking rock see you in october YUEAAAAAAAAAAAH!" all in G5

Oh Hannah
01-07-2012, 09:35 PM

"ThankyouLondonOlympicsceremonyyoufuckingrockseeyou inoctoberYUEAAAAAAAAAAAH!" all in G5

Fixed :chuckle:

Livs
01-07-2012, 09:43 PM

"Thank you London Olympics ceremony you fucking rock see you in october YUEAAAAAAAAAAAH!" all in G5

*Chris does mandatory above head clapping and waves at audience, Dom walks to Matt's mic, raises hands, claps a little 'cheers, you fucking rocked Olympic stadium/England/world stage see you again soon, goodbye, cheers' *

fabripav
01-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Fixed :chuckle:

:LOL: indeed

Furygirl
01-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Let's hope Dom doesn't drop any F-bombs during the ceremony. :chuckle:

fabripav
01-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Let's hope Dom doesn't drop any F-bombs during the ceremony. :chuckle:

I'm sure they'll eventually do :LOL: and the media will be ready to bash them :chuckle:

mjartrod
02-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Let's hope Dom doesn't drop any F-bombs during the ceremony. :chuckle: Haha!! :LOL: I think Matt would throttle him :LOL:

Oh Hannah
02-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Nah thats only saved for fans, the people who truly appraciate the show :chuckle:

forevermusic
04-07-2012, 11:31 PM
"Thank you Olympic opening ceremony it's been a fucking pleasure!" :chuckle:

Furygirl
05-07-2012, 03:46 AM
"Thank you Olympic opening ceremony it's been a fucking pleasure!" :chuckle:

"See you next time." :chuckle: I don't think so...