PDA

View Full Version : Remember when Supermassive Black Hole came out?

Clunge
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah, this happened. SHIT GOT REAL BROS.

So calm down y'all - it's only 30 seconds :LOL:.

haze015
06-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Remember when TIRO was released? :LOL:

Espectro Cuatro
06-06-2012, 03:53 PM
I remember reading the old forums, and to my surprise everyone thought Absolution was shit. :LOL:

It's just a change process. Musers are often quite resistant to change, but years down the track we'll all be saying "Why don't we have more TSL-style dubstep instead of this nonsense?"

Clunge
06-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Indeed.

Musers be silly.

Niall
06-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Indeed. Out with the old, in with the new. I'm quite happy this will filter the reactionary haters from people who are more balanced and willing to listen to what else is to come!

Niall
06-06-2012, 03:58 PM

That wasn't that bad because we had SS out first, TIRO mainly just served to confuse people :LOL:

Beibi
06-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Hahaha I was so shocked when SMBH came out, now I'm immune but it's always fun reading others dramatic reactions.

Dillyracer
06-06-2012, 04:05 PM
I thought it sounded cool.

AlexB
06-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Only a few months left of having to put up with people making completely pointless sweeping statements for an entire album based on a two minute clip.

:'(

leetroot
06-06-2012, 04:48 PM

that is what i was thinking :LOL:

Oh Hannah
06-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Only a few months left of having to put up with people making completely pointless sweeping statements for an entire album based on a two minute clip.

thank god! It gets on mah tits

a-museing
06-06-2012, 04:52 PM
And it was fabulous.

AlexB
06-06-2012, 04:53 PM
thank god! It gets on mah tits

There isn't much that gets on my tits when it comes to muse, but people making full on judgmental statements based on a reactionary opinion, without any basis or knowledge of what an album will sound like is one of em.

Oh Hannah
06-06-2012, 05:00 PM
There isn't much that gets on my tits when it comes to muse, but people making full on judgmental statements based on a reactionary opinion, without any basis or knowledge of what an album will sound like is one of em.

Same, I like the vid, and it's only 2 mins long. People making statements like 'muse have gone dubstep hate it' piss me off. A) I wouldn't call that dubstep - it's like some of the riffs they do, just with the robotic voice I am guessing is purely for the trailer and B) its only one song! It's a completely different direction so far and I am really optimistic!

Also the supermassive black hole hate just proves how some people need to wait before they judge

Museic07
06-06-2012, 05:05 PM
but Supermassive Black Hole WAS dire, as was the album it came from! Well ok, I did like Knights of Cydonia.
You think it was dire, the majority quite like it now.

Seaking
06-06-2012, 05:07 PM
but Supermassive Black Hole WAS dire, as was the album it came from! Well ok, I did like Knights of Cydonia.
That's all you liked? MoTP, CoD, Assassin, TaB?

forevermusic
06-06-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm guessing some people hated Origin of Symmetry when that came out, way before TiRO's, SMBH's and Uprising's.

Either way dubstep, a genre I find uncomfortable to listen to, is a worrying development. Heavy rock with an electronic feel might work though - something like the Prodigy or a heavier version of Kasabian, possibly. But a 2 minute trailer is not the way to judge - an actual track is.

Can't be any worse than Guiding Light though, can it?

Kueller917
06-06-2012, 08:08 PM
I remember BH&R was pretty looked down upon until The Resistance came out, then thoughts of it seemed to have gone up (or the complainers just jumped ship entirely).
So maybe if the new album is shit we'll think TR is amazing :awesome:

fabripav
06-06-2012, 08:18 PM

GL will forever be shit, that's for sure.

Hyper
06-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Remember when "You Fucking Motherfucker" was discovered :LOL::LOL:

but SMBH was a major shock, this recent musestep is nothing compared to that, especially since that time we had Who Knows Who, USOE and IBTY

and Kaoss pad jam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uF0Daddbk8&feature=related

fabripav
06-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Could we please stop calling it "musestep"? :rolleyes:

Hyper
06-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Could we please stop calling it "musestep"? :rolleyes:

you have a better idea? some ambient rebellious notquite-dubstep ???

haze015
06-06-2012, 08:42 PM
you have a better idea? some ambient rebellious notquite-dubstep ???

Midrange Cack, Arenastep, Bandwagonstep...

frutiger75
06-06-2012, 09:38 PM
remember the days when muse would release material and the amount of good/great moments generally outweighed (often substantially) the mediocre/sucky moments?

oh wait -- i think we're pretty much still in those days...

naget4music
07-06-2012, 12:09 AM
The Beatles changed their sound. Muse have obviously changed their sound. People get in such a huff over it :LOL:

Jobby
07-06-2012, 12:10 AM

I honestly can't imagine myself thinking like that about TR :chuckle:

Guiding Light and Resistance shall forever doom it in my books.

Gemsy
07-06-2012, 08:06 AM

I remember going oooh ooh ooh YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH in every thread
The best was supermassive black hole. 'omgg myse have gone pop this sucks'

Beibi
07-06-2012, 08:18 AM
The best was supermassive black hole. 'omgg myse have gone pop this sucks'

Remember people saying "oh no, surely this is a joke!, tomorrow we will heard the real song...."

Kueller917
07-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Remember people saying "oh no, surely this is a joke!, tomorrow we will heard the real song...."

Kind of like people saying Muse made the new song just for the trailer...

Gemsy
07-06-2012, 08:28 AM
:LOL: oh lol

Kavo
07-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Call it dubstep, not musestep please. Muse step sounds like the shite version of a waltz.

muser098
07-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Call it dubstep, not musestep please. Muse step sounds like the shite version of a waltz.

:LOL:

Riveon
07-06-2012, 09:53 AM
They said that for USoE as well. And now these new songs. :sleepy:

Anyway, I was definitely surprised yesterday but I'm starting to feel quite optimistic for the album again. I'm interested to see where it goes.

Furygirl
07-06-2012, 01:08 PM
I wish I'd been aroud to see the SMBH craziness. I remember when I first heard the 30 second clip of UD I thought I might cry. Or puke. But meh, now I like it.

blinkin fightuse
07-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Hold on, if Muse have decided that they are making a dub step album, they can count me out.

How is this the same band that liked Nirvana?

Tjet
07-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Hold on, if Muse have decided that they are making a dub step album, they can count me out.

Yes, the whole album has been confirmed as a dubstep album, with only the first minute being orchestral.

Now get out.

Cyndris
07-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Muse aren't making a dubstep album, jeez:rolleyes:

Edit; this was directed at blinkin fightuse

i.wish.i.RAWR!
07-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Yes, it's impossible for people to like a variety of music genres.

Furygirl
07-06-2012, 02:25 PM

Where have you heard it's a dubstep album? I like Nirvana, Lady Gaga, Verdi and Black Sabbath. Does that make me weird?

Furygirl
07-06-2012, 02:27 PM
yes.

:( It was a rhetorical question.

Orpheus3
07-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Yes, the whole album has been confirmed as a dubstep album, with only the first minute being orchestral.

Now get out.

:awesome:

bILLOO
07-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I fell in love with SMBH instantly when I first saw it on Kerrang. TIRO on the other hand... (even today it's still pants)

Furygirl
07-06-2012, 09:11 PM
I fell in love with SMBH instantly when I first saw it on Kerrang. TIRO on the other hand... (even today it's still pants)

Lol, pants. I love that expression. :happy:

Hopix
07-06-2012, 09:30 PM
no.

This.

Kueller917
07-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Lol, pants. I love that expression. :happy:

Same here :chuckle:

Dominic.
07-06-2012, 11:35 PM
I remember reading the old forums, and to my surprise everyone thought Absolution was shit. :LOL:
Indeed. Out with the old, in with the new. I'm quite happy this will filter the reactionary haters from people who are more balanced and willing to listen to what else is to come!

Yeah, and I'm sure you'll enjoy filtering out all the b33f that comes with it :LOL:

For some dreaded reason I decided to read through the comments on the NME articles, and I don't know if it was just swamped with Muse fans, but the majority were a lot more open minded than I thought they would be

Knightofcydonia
07-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Absolution was shit.

Gemsy
07-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Absolution was shit.

So's your face :awesome:

fabripav
08-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Absolution was shit.

u so hip ▲

ChrisirhC
08-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Remember when the 30 second clips of TR came out?

And they were absolutely spot on.

Gareeh
08-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Absolution was shit.

I will strike thee down

LyraSilvertongue
08-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Absolution was shit.

Die.

Tilly
08-06-2012, 03:59 AM
u so hip ▲

Possibly a stupid question, but how the hell did you make a triangle?

Also, trollers gonna troll.

spark_
08-06-2012, 05:15 AM
alt + numpad x4 i guess

fabripav
08-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Possibly a stupid question, but how the hell did you make a triangle?

Also, trollers gonna troll.

alt + 30 = ▲

alt + numpad x4 i guess

that's alt + 206 = ╬

RayFan9876
08-06-2012, 08:31 AM
If you want something really funny, type ALT-11 twice.

yoman297
08-06-2012, 10:53 AM
♂_♂

hyper_chondriac_muser
10-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Problem is, you'll always get this sort of reactionary love/hate and sweeping generalisation based on a teeny clip that isn't really representative of what the album is actually going to sound like. It happens every time. People are thick, innit ;).

When SMBH came out, lots of people thought Muse was bringing out a pop/dance album that would be utter shite and some started burning their Muse t-shirts and rioting (okay not quite, but nearly!) The end product was nothing like that. In fact, BH&R is so varied that you can't really categorise it as one style. Same goes for pretty much all their albums (especially TR, which was a bit too sporadic in musical direction). I don't see The 2nd Law being any different.

Caff
10-06-2012, 10:10 PM

It's just a change process. Musers are often quite resistant to change, but years down the track we'll all be saying "Why don't we have more TSL-style dubstep instead of this nonsense?"

I dunno, maybe I remember it wrong but Absolution at the time seemed to be hailed as the pinnacle of Muse and the hostile reactions to BHAR were essentially "it's not Absolution, fuck this!"

Espectro Cuatro
10-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I dunno, maybe I remember it wrong but Absolution at the time seemed to be hailed as the pinnacle of Muse and the hostile reactions to BHAR were essentially "it's not Absolution, fuck this!"

Hmm. I seem to recall lots of people saying (when Abso first came out) it was garbage compared to OoS and Showbiz. Kev posted the link to the old boards a while back, might have to go find it...

Kueller917
10-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Somehow I don't feel like The Resistance will be looked back upon the same way Absolution was though.

Caff
10-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Hmm. I seem to recall lots of people saying (when Abso first came out) it was garbage compared to OoS and Showbiz. Kev posted the link to the old boards a while back, might have to go find it...

Well Muse fans have got previous. Even on the really old boards when OoS came out there was the odd "great now they're popular - sell outs! This is too accessible" etc, even though the exact same people would also bitch about Showbiz being too angsty and Radiohead lite :LOL:

Kueller917
10-06-2012, 10:25 PM
What were the old boards? I know this one started in 2003 but I didn't know there was a main board before that.

Caff
10-06-2012, 10:28 PM
What were the old boards? I know this one started in 2003 but I didn't know there was a main board before that.

There was a really crappy board in around 2000. The kind where you had to click on every post to view it.

Then a new one launched along with muse-official just before OoS was out. That was my first sign up. Yeah I'm that old Internets wise.

Kueller917
10-06-2012, 10:29 PM
There was a really crappy board in around 2000. The kind where you had to click on every post to view it.

Then a new one launched along with muse-official just before OoS was out. That was my first sign up. Yeah I'm that old Internets wise.

Hmm, are they just completely gone now? I didn't know there were any more official boards besides the fansites back then.

Caff
10-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Hmm, are they just completely gone now? I didn't know there were any more official boards besides the fansites back then.

I think the 2001-2 board was on an archive somewhere at least five or so years ago.

i.wish.i.RAWR!
10-06-2012, 10:36 PM

I had heard Matt accidentally deleted them, but maybe that was a joke.

Espectro Cuatro
10-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Well Muse fans have got previous. Even on the really old boards when OoS came out there was the odd "great now they're popular - sell outs! This is too accessible" etc, even though the exact same people would also bitch about Showbiz being too angsty and Radiohead lite :LOL:

Doesn't surprise me. :LOL: Muse fans are a hard bunch to please! If past trends are any indicator, TSL will go through a period of positive reception and a much longer period of negative reception before the general opinion begins to relax.

L.
11-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Is it the one you are talking about?

http://web.archive.org/web/20021015022251/http://www.muse-official.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

Espectro Cuatro
12-06-2012, 02:53 AM
Is it the one you are talking about?

http://web.archive.org/web/20021015022251/http://www.muse-official.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

Nah it was the backup that Kev linked to last year, goes back to 2004ish.

http://board.muse.mu/time-machine/

Anyway I think I was wrong, nobody really said it was shit, but there are a lot of average reviews around it.

hyper_chondriac_muser
12-06-2012, 08:45 PM

Anyway I think I was wrong, nobody really said it was shit, but there are a lot of average reviews around it.

That particular link is from 2007, though, cos that's the font they used to promote HAARP Wembley 2007 shows. I thought 04 boards had a white background? (lol sorry, getting technical :p).

Tjet
12-06-2012, 08:47 PM
That particular link is from 2007, though, cos that's the font they used to promote HAARP Wembley 2007 shows. I thought 04 boards had a white background? (lol sorry, getting technical :p).
There can still be posts from earlier dates.

Hyper
13-06-2012, 08:12 PM

no you are right, i remember people complaining that they have lost their edge and anger and originality and "sold out"

Niall
13-06-2012, 08:57 PM

:LOL: there is some if you dig for it. I think the initial reaction thread is missing though...

Try this one by Tom...

http://board.muse.mu/time-machine/showthread.php?t=30398&highlight=supermassive+black+hole

Kueller917
13-06-2012, 09:24 PM
:LOL: there is some if you dig for it. I think the initial reaction thread is missing though...

Try this one by Tom...

http://board.muse.mu/time-machine/showthread.php?t=30398&highlight=supermassive+black+hole

hole :LOL:

citizenerasedPT
14-06-2012, 10:32 PM
What happened when SMBH came out?

fabripav
14-06-2012, 10:41 PM

The world exploded and the Knights Of The Apocalypse came to rescue us.

Tjet
14-06-2012, 10:48 PM
uhm:LOL: there is some if you dig for it. I think the initial reaction thread is missing though...

Try this one by Tom...

You're welcome.

Also:
"i was thinking... imagine this is actually the b-side of the actual supermassive black hole song" :LOL:

[DT|_Me]DEADSTAR
15-06-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm guessing some people hated Origin of Symmetry when that came out, way before TiRO's, SMBH's and Uprising's.

Either way dubstep, a genre I find uncomfortable to listen to, is a worrying development. Heavy rock with an electronic feel might work though - something like the Prodigy or a heavier version of Kasabian, possibly. But a 2 minute trailer is not the way to judge - an actual track is.

Can't be any worse than Guiding Light though, can it?

...it could get as cheesy as NSC :eek:

That Little Animal
19-06-2012, 06:07 PM
I remember when Stockholm Syndrome was released ahead of Absolution. People complained it was too similar to OOS. :LOL:

Oh Hannah
19-06-2012, 08:31 PM
I remember when Stockholm Syndrome was released ahead of Absolution. People complained it was too similar to OOS. :LOL:

Such spoilt brats!

LiT
20-06-2012, 04:37 PM
What was wrong with Supermassive? It was so catchy at first listen.
Now I overlistened it but back in the day, it was a good experience. I don't get why people complained about it. It was just simply a catchy song.

Morinphen
20-06-2012, 06:30 PM
I am so tempted of transcribing here the swearing wall of text I wrote in my diary as I listened to SMBH for the first time. I think that "bloody sellouts" was the softest thing I wrote. Since then, my views on the band and the song have changed... but not that much :p

Jobby
20-06-2012, 06:32 PM
I am so tempted of transcribing here the swearing wall of text I wrote in my diary as I listened to SMBH for the first time. I think that "bloody sellouts" was the softest thing I wrote. Since then, my views on the band and the song have changed... but not that much :p

That's not a bad idea, I might do that for the new album as I listen to it.

i.wish.i.RAWR!
22-06-2012, 11:23 PM

Already convinced you'll hate it that much?

Jobby
23-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Already convinced you'll hate it that much?

No, I've got a good feeling about the album actually :p I just think it'll be interesting to be able to look back at exactly what I thought of songs as I was first listening to them.

Kueller917
23-06-2012, 12:59 AM

I usually do that for new albums when they come out. It's interesting to read after a year or so and see what my first impressions were of an album.

i.wish.i.RAWR!
23-06-2012, 04:06 PM
No, I've got a good feeling about the album actually :p I just think it'll be interesting to be able to look back at exactly what I thought of songs as I was first listening to them.

That is a rather good idea. I might try that myself, but chances are I'll just write everything I think on here instead.

Morinphen
23-06-2012, 06:09 PM
You can tell I had no Internet connection back in early 2006 :chuckle: But I'd like to resume the tradition. I still remember the text I wrote about Jeff Buckley's "Grace", saying how it was "a shitty magnum opus, just like "OK Computer:" I like it but it's booooring!".
Bless.

Kueller917
23-06-2012, 08:26 PM
the text I wrote about Jeff Buckley's "Grace", saying how it was "a shitty magnum opus, just like "OK Computer:" I like it but it's booooring!".
Bless.

:pope:

bumpypotato
23-06-2012, 09:46 PM
the text I wrote about Jeff Buckley's "Grace", saying how it was "a shitty magnum opus, just like "OK Computer:" I like it but it's booooring!".
Bless.

dougwalters
24-06-2012, 12:44 PM
New single is out on muse u tube channel!!

bumpypotato
24-06-2012, 12:52 PM

What? No it isn't.

i.wish.i.RAWR!
24-06-2012, 01:14 PM

Horrible troll attempt.

bumpypotato
24-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Horrible troll attempt.

Even I didn't fall for it.

Morinphen
24-06-2012, 06:19 PM

:pope:

Why so emoticon? I was in my early teens and not accustomed to "slow" stuff. It was one giant leap from Limp Bizkit to the likes of Riverside or Aereogramme (RIP).

SerpentSatellite
28-06-2012, 04:52 AM
SMBH will always be too hard to judge, because I struggle to really percieve it outside of the "twilight" debacle even now...

I still see the horrible movie clips playing behind my eyes when I hear it.

But, I know deep down that it's really not a bad song, and I never thought it was.

Hell, I liked the 2nd Law trailer a great deal. Thought it was a bit cheesy the first time, watched it again and really got what was being said, and thought it was spectacular. Never understood the rage against the "wub wub."

I sing along with Guiding Light when I'm alone, and the lights are off. And only recently (through this message board, mostly) learned that the song, in fact, sucks (who knew!)

Of course, that makes me really concerned about my almost instinctual aversion to Survival right now...

Static Shadows
28-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Never understood the SMBH reaction. I remember at the time arguing that it wasn't a huge departure so much as a cooler version of The Groove. And I stand by that.

TIRO I could kind of understand, as it was a bit more of a straightforward, radio-friendly rock song than Muse fans had been used to up to that point. Still a good song though and hardly worth the doom and gloom, or cries of "the end of Muse!" that came with it.

This reaction comes with every album. Would love to have seen Showbiz fans reacting to Bliss or New Born!

SMBH will always be too hard to judge, because I struggle to really percieve it outside of the "twilight" debacle even now...

I still see the horrible movie clips playing behind my eyes when I hear it.

rage against the "wub wub."

SMBH was before Twilight. I have to admit I'm still not really sure what Twilight is, and I really don't care. Sounds like a series of shit books and a series of shit films which I haven't read or seen, and only really effected (or indeed affected) a tiny proportion of the population who happened to be in their early teens at the time of their release. I'm sorry if you fell into that small category, but feel consoled that almost no one will care about it or really remember it in 5-10 years time. In terms of SMBH, get over it.

"Rage Against the Wub Wub" is a brilliant summary of it. :LOL: I still hear as much RATM as Dubstep in there, myself. Even if the robot cracks me up. Oddly I disliked the strings at the beginning more. I just found them a bit dull.

SerpentSatellite
28-06-2012, 04:03 PM
SMBH was before Twilight. I have to admit I'm still not really sure what Twilight is, and I really don't care. Sounds like a series of shit books and a series of shit films which I haven't read or seen, and only really effected (or indeed affected) a tiny proportion of the population who happened to be in their early teens at the time of their release. I'm sorry if you fell into that small category, but feel consoled that almost no one will care about it or really remember it in 5-10 years time. In terms of SMBH, get over it.

"Rage Against the Wub Wub" is a brilliant summary of it. :LOL: I still hear as much RATM as Dubstep in there, myself. Even if the robot cracks me up. Oddly I disliked the strings at the beginning more. I just found them a bit dull.

Unfortunately, for many people on my side of the world, SMBH wasn't before Twilight, which maybe I should have clarified.
I'll admit to having read the books, but only in a moment of weakness, as I very much - at the time - cared what my friends and coworkers thought, and I didn't want to stand out. I *maybe* would have liked the books - back when I was 13.
We were not 13.

SMBH, and in fact Muse, became really closely associated with Twilight to the extent that they were called a "Twilight band" by pretty much everyone around me, and it was automatically assumed that I was "into that." It really didn't help that I was lying about "sort of liking" the books so I didn't have to bother alienating my friends and bosses.

So yes, it's a personal problem. And one I really learned a lot from, to be honest.
But, it's still hard to separate the two in my head.

(I am really in a seriously odd mood today...)

Niall
28-06-2012, 04:31 PM
The difference between Survival and other songs that evoked a strong reactive voice is that previous this was because the songs were so different in terms of genre. People reacted badly to TIRO, SBH, Unsustainable, because they were very different to the Muse they had gotten used to.

Survival is nothing new. There's no new genre included in it. It's just not very good...

Mr. ORANGE
28-06-2012, 06:38 PM
The difference between Survival and other songs that evoked a strong reactive voice is that previous this was because the songs were so different in terms of genre. People reacted badly to TIRO, SBH, Unsustainable, because they were very different to the Muse they had gotten used to.

Survival is nothing new. There's no new genre included in it. It's just not very good...
Amen to that - I remember hearing Uprising for the first time and I thought it sucked, but now I like it...the same goes to SMBH...But I don't like his singing and the over-hyped backing vocals in Survival - I hope they won't go that way on the rest of the album :rolleyes: