PDA

View Full Version : Matt Bellamy is not that good at guitar

jammy777
26-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm not a troll!

Don't get me wrong, Muse are pretty much all I listen too and Bellamy is a god. I've seen them live, front row standing and it was fucking incredible.

I'm not saying he isn't talented, but I have to be honest, as a guitar player myself, He is not that good a guitarist!

He does not play anything very technical and all their 'big hits' can be covered on the guitar quite simply.

Views?

EDIT:

I think the poorly chosen title is giving you people the wrong idea...

When I say he's not good, I mean stick him on his own, no singing, just sitting on a chair with his guitar and all he can play is very simple stuff. Now combine him with his voice, creativity, feeling and song writting and that is what makes him special. I dont been bad as in the music itself is bad.

And stop saying 1000 npm is not always good, I dint say fast did I? I have tried to learn Hotel California Solo, which is fairy slow yes? Its fucking impossible. Where as the Hysteria solo is like 10 mins practise and you know it.

To all you people disagreeing with me, some quotes from the man himself:

"but it's not difficult what I do"

"I tend to do things quite simple"

"Definitely technically I'n not very good at all"

I incase you still dont get it, I know this is not what makes him brilliant! It's just an observation..

JakeLulz
26-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Not that it matters to me but I don't see how him not playing anything technical makes him a bad guitarist?

Maa.
26-12-2009, 06:15 PM
:pope:

NeonBomb
26-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Hmmmm.

Mizutsu
26-12-2009, 06:20 PM
lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e3Amp4SgOY

3:59

MyLostMuse
k

jammy777
Not that it matters to me but I don't see how him not playing anything technical makes him a bad guitarist?

I never said he was bad...Just saying he is average, and because if he was brilliant he would show it of with more technical material.

I am also not saying you cannot have a simple guitar riff/ solo that isnt magical. For example, Hysteria solo I adore. Yet my brother who is has been playing guitar less than a year can play it to a good standard

HaiHopes
26-12-2009, 06:23 PM
:indiff:

jammy777
26-12-2009, 06:23 PM
lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e3Amp4SgOY

3:59

Tapping isn't that hard.

Not saying I could do that but still

micaelams
26-12-2009, 06:30 PM
K... I get your point but, its not well supported, because, if matt doesnt play technical stuff its not that he is bad or regular... Its that Muse ist a technical band,because one of Muse's best features is not beign like other band... Is beign themselves(:awesome:) so what im saying is that Playing normal stuff doesnt make you a good guitar player, it makes you a lame one.
But well thats your opinion, and i play guitar too, some of his solos are simple, but they still sound awesome :D

slipperypoo
26-12-2009, 06:31 PM
GTFO

dreamingofhysteria
26-12-2009, 06:33 PM
I don't want to sound like a stereotypical teenage muse fan, shooting down any opinion opposing to my own BUT I think you're misunderestimating his skill a bit...he's considered to be the greatest guitarist of this decade...:unsure:
it's all well and good being able to cover the songs easily...if you're a good enough musician and have sufficient skill you can play any song you want, be it Beethoven to Hendrix...but to write it and create it is something else completely.
Then again, i don't play guitar so what would i know :LOL:

tiniih
26-12-2009, 06:33 PM
for me that has nothing to do how good he is at guitar or paino or something.
what matters for me is the music, and not how good they are on their instruments.
and i think it´s better when they´re not that difficult to play on various instruments because then you can cover tthe songs better and so you feel closer to the band.
my view. :rolleyes: :LOL:

edit: MATT IS THE BEST ! :p :awesome:

weird cOokie
26-12-2009, 06:34 PM
bahahah funny one.

UndisclosedRedemption
26-12-2009, 06:34 PM
:stunned: :indiff: :erm: :phu: :supersad:

Glorious Resistance
26-12-2009, 06:35 PM
:shifty:
In my opinion... he doesn't have to show off all of his mad guitar skills. I do believe he's capable of many things beyond plenty of guitarists abilities because well...he's a fantastic guitar player. However, just because he doesn't add any advanced guitar tricks into his songs or out on stage, doesn't mean he can't do it or is "average:phu:". Plus, he's shown us many amazing things on the guitar that are not average.
*coughs* so my point here is...I disagree with you. (he's a brilliant guitar player)
end of rant :rolleyes:

belleooo
26-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Oh dear..... this thread is going to sink faster than the Titanic. Lol.

micaelams
26-12-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't want to sound like a stereotypical teenage muse fan, shooting down any opinion opposing to my own BUT I think you're misunderestimating his skill a bit...he's considered to be the greatest guitarist of the this decade...:unsure:
it's all well and good being able to cover the songs easily...if you're a good enough musician and have sufficient skill you can play any song you want, be it Beethoven to Hendrix...but to write it and create it is something else completely.

+1
Thats muse's meaning so... Like you said, writing it and creating it is what matters!!!

micaelams
26-12-2009, 06:39 PM

its going to sink faster than kanye west's carreer!

Glorious Resistance
26-12-2009, 06:39 PM

+1 :LOL:

Animus
26-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm not a troll!

Don't get me wrong, Muse are pretty much all I listen too and Bellamy is a god. I've seen them live, front row standing and it was fucking incredible.

I'm not saying he isn't talented, but I have to be honest, as a guitar player myself, He is not that good a guitarist!

He does not play anything very technical and all their 'big hits' can be covered on the guitar quite simply.

Views?

see, music doesnt always have to be complicated. simple music is really good. im not saying that matt is a god. for i am an atheist ;). but i think youre wrong, for those reasons. he is a good guitarist, maybe you have played complicated songs on the guitar and you feel good about yourself. now youre comparing yourself to otherswho don't play AS complicated music than you. seriously, i think you need to just listen to music for the way its put together and how the notes come together in the song. like first listen to the vocals, the the guitar, then the bass, then the drums. BUT DON'T JUDGE HOW COMPLICATED THE SONG IS!!! simplicity is the key... period.

Animus
26-12-2009, 06:43 PM

:chuckle: +1

CarrieB
26-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Matt himself is modest about his guitar playing skills in this interview at 5.15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PCDD2X36t0

Mechagodzilla
26-12-2009, 06:46 PM
You sir, are an epic fail!

Good music isn't just about complexity.

Glorious Resistance
26-12-2009, 06:48 PM

okay totally off subject...but I just have to tell you your sig is amazing :LOL:

micaelams
26-12-2009, 06:49 PM
i edited my post about this thread sinking faster than kanye west career.... now look at the images and see where i got the idea from!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Glorious Resistance
26-12-2009, 06:52 PM
i edited my post about this thread sinking faster than kanye west career.... now look at the images and see where i got the idea from!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

JakeLulz
26-12-2009, 06:56 PM
I never said he was bad...Just saying he is average, and because if he was brilliant he would show it of with more technical material.

I am also not saying you cannot have a simple guitar riff/ solo that isnt magical. For example, Hysteria solo I adore. Yet my brother who is has been playing guitar less than a year can play it to a good standard

But surely your guitar skills should be judged on how good the music you produce with it is?

and at least in my books, speed or technicality aren't things i would judge music on. I can play most Muse stuff to a pretty good standard, but i wouldn't put myself in the ranks with Bellamy. He's far better.

AlexB
26-12-2009, 06:56 PM
i agree that he isnt amazing but he influences my guitar playing more than any other.

And plus there are hundreds of technically brilliant guitarists out there whos talents are wasted because they cant write a decent song unlike matt

Animus
26-12-2009, 07:15 PM
i agree that he isnt amazing but he influences my guitar playing more than any other.

And plus there are hundreds of technically brilliant guitarists out there whos talents are wasted because they cant write a decent song unlike matt

see again i disagree, you guys might play and like REALLY complicated songs. WHO CARES if a guitar part simple

In Ryanbows
26-12-2009, 07:40 PM

You win. :LOL:

micaelams
26-12-2009, 07:45 PM
You win. :LOL:

thanks everyone :awesome:

Jimmyneutron
26-12-2009, 08:34 PM
He is regarded by many as Far and Away the best guitarist of the Decade, and has even been ranked among the top of all time by some magazines.

I wouldn't judge guitar playing skill by speed or complexity, while these can have an indication of somebodies skill, there are also other factors such as creativity with the guitar, something Bellamy is extremely good at.

I don't think that there is any doubt that Matt is next in the line of 'Influential' Guitarists, those who define the rock music of their era, and inspire a million new guitarists. Matt is that person now.

micaelams
26-12-2009, 08:37 PM
He is regarded by many as Far and Away the best guitarist of the Decade, and has even been ranked among the top of all time by some magazines.

I wouldn't judge guitar playing skill by speed or complexity, while these can have an indication of somebodies skill, there are also other factors such as creativity with the guitar, something Bellamy is extremely good at.

I don't think that there is any doubt that Matt is next in the line of 'Influential' Guitarists, those who define the rock music of their era, and inspire a million new guitarists. Matt is that person now.

WOW :eek:... ur personality matches perfectly your username and avatar ( i used to watch jimmy neutron :D) , you are really intelligent! and you are right!, to be a great guitar player is not to play difficut stuff but to express it well!
and HE IS THE BEST GUITAR PLAYER OF OUR DECADE!:D

Dina F.K.K.
26-12-2009, 08:45 PM
i don't care what people said about matt's guitar skill. it just simply listen to muse songs' riffs such as plug in baby, stockholm syndrome, hysteria, smbh, koc, new born, mk ultra, unnatural selection, etc etc. they're all just brilliant. and he play guitar while singing in the live shows. not all singers or guitarists can do it well as matt.

Dina F.K.K.
26-12-2009, 08:47 PM

agree.

Rockette147
26-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Surely it's what a song sounds like that matters, not how difficult it is to play. When I hear PiB I think "TUUUUUUUUUUUUUNE!" and hop about playing air guitar, not think "Hmm, this should be more complicated" and wish Bells was finding it more challenging to play.

EMMAlovesMUSE
26-12-2009, 09:36 PM
GTFO

i don't care what people said about matt's guitar skill. it just simply listen to muse songs' riffs such as plug in baby, stockholm syndrome, hysteria, smbh, koc, new born, mk ultra, unnatural selection, etc etc. they're all just brilliant. and he play guitar while singing in the live shows. not all singers or guitarists can do it well as matt.

+1's for all of these!!! :D

supermassive_cave
26-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm fine as long as i enjoy the music.

jammy777
26-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Guys you totally missed the point. I have repeatedly stated that I think Bellamy if amazingly talented and their music is mesmerising (sp?) I am not saying that fast/technical guitar is better.

ALL I WAS SAY WAS HIS GUITAR PLAYING ALONE (imagine him playing sitting down on his bed at home alone) IS NOT VERY ADVANCED AT ALL!

Not picking him apart, merely making a minor observasion.

It seems people read the title then prejudge me into thinking he's crap!

micaelams
26-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Guys you totally missed the point. I have repeatedly stated that I think Bellamy if amazingly talented and their music is mesmerising (sp?) I am not saying that fast/technical guitar is better.

ALL I WAS SAY WAS HIS GUITAR PLAYING ALONE (imagine him playing sitting down on his bed at home alone) IS NOT VERY ADVANCED AT ALL!

Not picking him apart, merely making a minor observasion.

It seems people read the title then prejudge me into thinking he's crap!

we know we know but ALL WE WERE SAYING IS THAT THERE'S NO POINT IN SAYING HE DOESNT PLAY GUITAR REALLY GOOD BECAUSE THE AWESOMENES AS WRITING, CREATING AND ENJOYING THE SONG IS ALL THAT MATTERS

and im using caps just because you did so! :LOL:

jammy777
26-12-2009, 10:16 PM
see, music doesnt always have to be complicated. simple music is really good. im not saying that matt is a god. for i am an atheist ;). but i think youre wrong, for those reasons. he is a good guitarist, maybe you have played complicated songs on the guitar and you feel good about yourself. now youre comparing yourself to otherswho don't play AS complicated music than you. seriously, i think you need to just listen to music for the way its put together and how the notes come together in the song. like first listen to the vocals, the the guitar, then the bass, then the drums. BUT DON'T JUDGE HOW COMPLICATED THE SONG IS!!! simplicity is the key... period.

Fuck sake This is exactly what I mean when I say people have missed the point.

I never said simple was bad...and never said complex was good.

t.gypsy
26-12-2009, 10:19 PM

:( kanye had a career??? what was it if he did have one????

micaelams
26-12-2009, 10:24 PM
:( kanye had a career??? what was it if he did have one????

i don't know... i think he worked as an :rolleyes:hole , but now his failing at failing :LOL: and he is still and :rolleyes:hole, even if he loses his career :LOL:

t.gypsy
26-12-2009, 10:27 PM
well if matt isnt that great a guitarist then why were a few guitar making companies willing to create the guitars that matt desired???

And if anything most of the sounds he makes on the red guitar comes from the white box what ever its called its like a feed back that is a new invention which he was the fore front for and also he plays a 7stringed guitar those are complicated and also the sounds that he makes is unique and his you cant say it belongs to anyone else and for the jumping around on the stage is his way of showing the individualistic qualities we like, and lets not forget the stage set up come on give the guy more credit.

If i am wrong with anything there do not hesistate to correct me but these are the information i have read off other websites in the years i have been a muse fan

another quip i will add how many bands can you tell me that has the ability to take your soul and mind to another place leaving your body behind that is what they do to me

t.gypsy
26-12-2009, 10:29 PM
i don't know... i think he worked as an :rolleyes:hole , but now his failing at failing :LOL: and he is still and :rolleyes:hole, even if he loses his career :LOL:

that explains why i never heard of him then mmm no great loss there then is it.

micaelams
26-12-2009, 10:30 PM
well if matt isnt that great a guitarist then why were a few guitar making companies willing to create the guitars that matt desired???

And if anything most of the sounds he makes on the red guitar comes from the white box what ever its called its like a feed back that is a new invention which he was the fore front for and also he plays a 7stringed guitar those are complicated and also the sounds that he makes is unique and his you cant say it belongs to anyone else and for the jumping around on the stage is his way of showing the individualistic qualities we like, and lets not forget the stage set up come on give the guy more credit.

If i am wrong with anything there do not hesistate to correct me but these are the information i have read off other websites in the years i have been a muse fan

another quip i will add how many bands can you tell me that has the ability to take your soul and mind to another place leaving your body behind that is what they do to me

It has that effect on me too... when you close your eyes while hearing their music its like you are flying in space....:happy:

t.gypsy
26-12-2009, 10:34 PM
It has that effect on me too... when you close your eyes while hearing their music its like you are flying in space....:happy:

yes that is me and also i am a painter among my other artistic talents and some of my paintings is like wtf where did that come from you can guarantee that it would be prolly i was listening to muse.. I have some posters i've done using muse's band name, one being a flying saucer its quite cool i would like to put it on here but i'd be worried about some of the fans getting peeved off with me.

Quadropheniac
26-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Personally, before I was a Muse fan and had never listened to Muse before, I didn't expect Matt to be as good as people were saying he was. I listened to Muse and he seemed pretty good, but it wasn't until I watched them live that I was blown away. Completely blown away.

To me, he is a pretty technically proficient guitar player. What really strikes me about his playing is how creative he is. The attention he puts into how the guitar sounds in each song is something that a lot of guitarists lack these days.

Also, he has a unique sound. The best guitarists (in my opinion) have their own unique sound. You can pick them out just from hearing a riff, even if you don't know who is playing. Some of my favorite guitar players aren't very technically advanced (ie: Angus Young....live, Angus plays far more than he does on AC/DC albums....people credit Angus for being a great guitar player, but most AC/DC songs are based on simple blues chords....yet, regardless of the simplicity, it brings depth to AC/DC music....it adds to it and is the backbone). It's one thing to be able to play really fast riffs that are completely lacking of emotion and another to be able to infuse depth into a song. This is what I think Matt is able to do.

Maybe I didn't exactly answer the question about Matt's technical ability :LOL:....but I think everyone on here is pretty much going to argue that Matt is superb, being as it is a Muse messageboard ;). I'm actually not too familiar with the technical aspects of guitar playing....so to be fair, I can't acuratley answer that. I just know what I like, and I like Matt's playing a lot :).

micaelams
26-12-2009, 10:47 PM
yes that is me and also i am a painter among my other artistic talents and some of my paintings is like wtf where did that come from you can guarantee that it would be prolly i was listening to muse.. I have some posters i've done using muse's band name, one being a flying saucer its quite cool i would like to put it on here but i'd be worried about some of the fans getting peeved off with me.

i paint too (besides other artistic things) and like you... sometimes when i hear muse i paint stuff i wouldnt draw normally... like the other day, i was hearing SFA and i ended up painting the beach , mostly ocean, by night with saturn and 3 of its moons in the sky with 2 yellow flowers in a cliff...

:LOL: super off-topic but good to know :D

t.gypsy
26-12-2009, 10:53 PM
i paint too (besides other artistic things) and like you... sometimes when i hear muse i paint stuff i wouldnt draw normally... like the other day, i was hearing SFA and i ended up painting the beach , mostly ocean, by night with saturn and 3 of its moons in the sky with 2 yellow flowers in a cliff...

:LOL: super off-topic but good to know :D

and i thought some of my stuff is out of it, i would be painting now but *sighs* the table i would use to put my table top easel is broken and there is not really anywhere else good enough to do the painting yes i am fussy i am an artist i am allowed to be right. But at least we know the effect muse has on us artistically i mean they helped stephine write twilight. i just hope matt dont see the thread about matts hair lol...:LOL::LOL::LOL::eek:

micaelams
26-12-2009, 11:03 PM
and i thought some of my stuff is out of it, i would be painting now but *sighs* the table i would use to put my table top easel is broken and there is not really anywhere else good enough to do the painting yes i am fussy i am an artist i am allowed to be right. But at least we know the effect muse has on us artistically i mean they helped stephine write twilight. i just hope matt dont see the thread about matts hair lol...:LOL::LOL::LOL::eek:

aw... its a pity it is broken... but.. you can always draw something on a paper :D!

yes... i hope matt doesnt see the hair-thread... i support that his haircut now makes him look old... :LOL:

wow! this tread isnt locked yet!:LOL:

t.gypsy
27-12-2009, 12:33 AM
aw... its a pity it is broken... but.. you can always draw something on a paper :D!

thats true, make matters worse when the table broke is i was working on a painting when it happened luckily i didnt stuff the painting up

yes... i hope matt doesnt see the hair-thread... i support that his haircut now makes him look old... :LOL:

i know and if he does support that style dont look at me

wow! this tread isnt locked yet!:LOL:

would these threads end up locked

CarrieB
27-12-2009, 12:33 AM
I'd be more concerned about the teeth discussion than the hair one tbh, though have to admit I haven't bothered to look at the hair one properly.

Lots of syphillis and doubt in that one.:stunned:

IMO there's nothing much wrong with Matt's teeth or his hair or his guitar playing or his lyric writing or his set design or his setlist planning or his singing or his breathing or his energy or his politics. Have I forgotten anything? :p

t.gypsy
27-12-2009, 12:36 AM
I'd be more concerned about the teeth discussion than the hair one tbh, though have to admit I haven't bothered to look at the hair one properly.

Lots of syphillis and doubt in that one.:stunned:

IMO there's nothing much wrong with Matt's teeth or his hair or his guitar playing or his lyric writing or his set design or his setlist planning or his singing or his breathing or his energy or his politics. Have I forgotten anything? :p

yeah you have i wont say what... just you think about it for a moment :P

Kimberley
27-12-2009, 12:37 AM
This thread is silly. I'm sure some of you can play Muse songs pretty well yourself, but I'd like to see you get onstage and be half as unbelievable as Matt. Sometimes simplicity is the key. If you can make something simple sound amazing, then thats where the genius lies.

micaelams
27-12-2009, 12:39 AM
This thread is silly. I'm sure some of you can play Muse songs pretty well yourself, but I'd like to see you get onstage and be half as unbelievable as Matt. Sometimes simplicity is the key. If you can make something simple sound amazing, then thats where the genius lies.

EXACTLY

CarrieB
27-12-2009, 12:48 AM
yeah you have i wont say what... just you think about it for a moment :P

This is like a quiz now!:) Um um um! Are you thinking about his enunciation? Poor guy might as well end it all now!;) Apart from the fact that he's actually a sweet-faced, intelligent, amazing musician.:)

belleooo
27-12-2009, 01:00 AM
This is like a quiz now!:) Um um um! Are you thinking about his enunciation? Poor guy might as well end it all now!;) Apart from the fact that he's actually a sweet-faced, intelligent, amazing musician.:)

The guys a rock God.... nothing more, nothing less. :D

Hopix
27-12-2009, 01:37 AM
He can shred, that's not a basic guitar skill. In terms of technical 'by the book' technique, he doesn't have much of that though.

Tofu
27-12-2009, 02:27 AM
I know better guitarists, better pianists, and better singers than Matt (but not yet anyone that's as good at all three. :chuckle:) But anyway... like Hopix said in terms of "by the book" technique he's not "good" but he has so much musicality and the sounds he makes with his instruments negate that and in the end it doesn't really matter, imo.

Linn91
27-12-2009, 03:20 AM
How dare you! :eek: I think Matt is brilliant, yup.

t.gypsy
27-12-2009, 03:39 AM

yes i was and i know poor guy.. and i agree he is a sweet faced intelligent musician, he looks to be one of those guys that if your not having a good time at a party he would find out why lol.

Stoids
27-12-2009, 04:07 AM
I actually have to agree with this post. Matt Bellamy is a very competent guitar player. Compared to other new guitarists of this generation, he is with the best of the best. But, I think this speaks more of the lack of influential and virtuosic guitar players that have come in this generation.

Matt's chord progressions and solos do not scream brilliant musical technicality, nor difficulty. He hasn't really done anything to set himself apart from other guitarists on the grand scale of things.

We do have to take into account that he sings while playing guitar, which is actually way harder then you would think (anyone who plays can tell you that). You don't see many lead guitarists perform face melting solos or complex progressions (minus Dave Mustaine, I hate Megadeath, but the dude can play).

Best guitarist of the decade? Eh maybe, not many guitarists pop out in my mind
One of the best of all time? No, no, no, no. He's got a longggggg way to go before he can be mentioned in this conversation.

nataly
27-12-2009, 04:16 AM
I thought this thread was like that one "Matt Bellamy got ugly" :(

Animus
27-12-2009, 04:25 AM
Matt himself is modest about his guitar playing skills in this interview at 5.15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PCDD2X36t0

+1
i know that matt makes his music simple. i like that. like i said before just because a song is simple doesn't mean that the musician is not talented. the musician is talented for his imagination and creativity of the song. they put lyrics to music and put together a melody that migh t ye be only 2 notes on a particular instrument, but yet their talent may surpass some of those that make different, more complicated music.

Sing_For_Absolution
27-12-2009, 04:29 AM
Fail thread is fail.

http://www2.wabash.edu/blog/images/fail%20dog.jpg

Animus
27-12-2009, 04:31 AM
Fail thread is fail.

yes it is a MASSIVE fail thread but it brings up a good conversation...

Animus
Fail thread is fail.

Animus
Fail thread is fail.

svenBliss
27-12-2009, 04:36 AM
The only thing that makes this thread fail is that it has been talked about a couple times before. Otherwise, the truth is, he's not that great. He makes a lot of mistakes live, and he does play very simple stuff. Here is the thing though, simple doesn't make you a bad guitar player. Not even mistakes, though they don't make you good. :D

Anyway, point is, it depends on what you classify as a good guitarist... Technically, matt is not that great. Feeling wise, he is one of the best, though these days you can guess what his feeling 'moves' are going to be... so he use to be one of the best.

svenBliss
27-12-2009, 04:36 AM
The only thing that makes this thread fail is that it has been talked about a couple times before. Otherwise, the truth is, he's not that great. He makes a lot of mistakes live, and he does play very simple stuff. Here is the thing though, simple doesn't make you a bad guitar player. Not even mistakes, though they don't make you good. :D

Anyway, point is, it depends on what you classify as a good guitarist... Technically, matt is not that great. Feeling wise, he is one of the best, though these days you can guess what his feeling 'moves' are going to be... so he use to be one of the best.

Tofu
27-12-2009, 05:52 AM
Actually, I was just reminded of an interview with Omar Rodríguez-López (The Mars Volta) that I read earlier today where he said that he didn't consider himself a good guitarist at all, like he hides behind effects and stuff and really struggles to play, even though a lot of people think he's good.

Suvi
27-12-2009, 05:57 AM
no you're right. he is good but you're better.

Animus
27-12-2009, 06:19 AM

i agree with some things you have broght up, BUT everyone makes mistakes, matt CAN'T be perfect during a live concert. but still i like simple things... how many thimes am i going to say that simplicity is the key?
plus this is the type of music matt likes, he's expressing himself n the ways that he wants to, and making music for others to enjoy. but i guess you can say that youre just another critic. :rolleyes:

Animus
27-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Maybe he isn't the best guitarist, but he's REALLY GOOD.
You say you can play their songs (Muse) on guitar very easily, but, every song is easy to play on the guitar if you know how to play it!
The important thing is that you COMPOSE the music, the lyrics, etc. At that, Matt is the best!!

Now compose a song, the lyrics, the notes, etc, Now that's not easy or is it?

Also Matt SINGS AND PLAYS GUITAR, so he couldn't make a really difficult song, because he wouldn't be able to do it live.

And Muse Live > Muse studio

PERIOD

So:

/FAIL

kk, #1 matt is NOT the best in the world but thats your own opinion and i cant change that. #2 its true that you cant have a REALLY complicated song on the guitar, and sing without mistakes. really people be realistic here

choco_chia83
27-12-2009, 07:45 AM

THIS.

All I can say is, when you're told how to play something, its a lot easier than coming up with it in the first place.

janine
27-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Actually you're saying you are better? :noey: :vomit:

Wingardium LevioSIA
27-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Playing guitar and singing at the same time always impresses me. That's what I like about the fact Muse are a trio. And also, just because he doesn't play ridiculous high-speed power metal solos, that doesn't mean he's a bad guitarist. Because if he did start playing ridiculous high-speed power metal solos, it would sound completely out of place.

six strings samurai
27-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Matt plays great. He plays what suites best in my opinion. He doesn't play like 1000 notes solos with and thank God, all that stuff is so out of time)) He's a Musician

cherry lips
27-12-2009, 10:18 AM
I don't want to sound like a stereotypical teenage muse fan, shooting down any opinion opposing to my own BUT I think you're misunderestimating his skill a bit...he's considered to be the greatest guitarist of this decade...:unsure:

i agree,he's not considerd one of the greatest guitar players just because he can play the guitar,and yes i agree completly about writing songs.it ok if you can cover them but can you write them?

jammy777
27-12-2009, 12:42 PM
no you're right. he is good but you're better.

Fuck off and stop making assumptions. I never said I was better, in fact i'm pretty shitty. But it's enough to know his music isnt technical. And if you read this, I also didnt say that not being techincal is bad. I think the music is amazing.

Geez you fans are protective of your Bellamy! Nothing wrong with a bit of critisism...

jammy777
27-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Maybe he isn't the best guitarist, but he's REALLY GOOD.
You say you can play their songs (Muse) on guitar very easily, but, every song is easy to play on the guitar if you know how to play it!
The important thing is that you COMPOSE the music, the lyrics, etc. At that, Matt is the best!!

Now compose a song, the lyrics, the notes, etc, Now that's not easy or is it?

Also Matt SINGS AND PLAYS GUITAR, so he couldn't make a really difficult song, because he wouldn't be able to do it live.

And Muse Live > Muse studio

PERIOD

So:

/FAIL

That is exactly my point. It is all these other elements that make him brilliant. PS Im not saying they're easy to play because I am brilliant on the guitar, I'm pretty poor. which is how I know they fairly straight forward.

Ask me to write something similar, well, it's impossible to get close

jammy777
27-12-2009, 12:54 PM
You guys are trying to argue against me but you are infact agreeing with my point exactly

cherry lips
27-12-2009, 01:46 PM
ok fine,

but it seemed to me like you said that the riffs that he plays are not hard to play.....ofcourse we are overprotective over our Bellamy :happy:;)

Obi
27-12-2009, 01:49 PM
He's better than most guitarists in the mainstream but next to a Frank Zappa or even a Jonny Greenwood, he doesn't look so fantastic.

Kimberley
27-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Geez you fans are protective of your Bellamy! Nothing wrong with a bit of critisism...

What else are fans for? :p

trvrphlps
27-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Nah, he's not amazing. But he's still better than me and an amazing piano player.

Dina F.K.K.
27-12-2009, 02:21 PM

we love him so much. and his guitar skill is amazing.

Amy W
27-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Matt has said himself that he doesn't think he's very good... we all know if you compare him to an incredibly skilled guitarist then technically he won't seem very good... but i think he is great for having his own style and doing something different to what i and many other people have heard before. Just a matter of opinion though innit. So well done for the crap thread :p

dontask
27-12-2009, 03:27 PM
lol silly thread - i get what your saying but nobody thinks if he played on his own he would be amazing i dont think. dont forget that he is first and foremost a piano player, and hes absolutely brilliant at that.

his stuff may not be complicated, but as a guitarist and a frontman he is absolutely entertaining, and i cant say that about the likes of kirk hammett (although hes rather poo, just my example).

Green Mamba
27-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I think it's more Matt's style that his technical ability that people admire more.

He's a self taught guitarist and naturally there are going to be elements of his trade that are going to be a bit weak or lacking. I think when you see Muse live and when they just jam and just play you really get to see matt for who he is.

He's very creative, and entertaining front man and those are some of things that arguably some more technical and lesser known players will not that have.

I can't think of many more guitarist than Tom Morello, Matt Bellamy Jimi Jendrix etc etc and Jim Davies (ex prodigy guitar player) that really excite me in anyway.

belleooo
27-12-2009, 04:51 PM
What else are fans for? :p

Agree...... but what did you seriously expect from a MUSE forum? You wouldn't go into a Christian forum and say the bible is lacking in reality and substance would you? Lol. If you wanted serious debate then this message would have been better posted away from the MUSE forum hun. :)

Animus
27-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Well when someone has a favorite band they tend to say it's the best in the world. (That's why the word "opinion" exists)
In my opinion Muse is the best band, because it's my favorite.

muse is also my all time fave band. but i don't think matt is the BEST. he's talented, has a nice imagination and good creativity.

Schweppes
27-12-2009, 05:21 PM
They must have posted but ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1y0LhGukiQ

:stunned:

HelloMrBellamy
27-12-2009, 06:06 PM
:noey: :phu:

No, not really, I don't play geetar myself so I can't judge. Although, New Born!?

nurosaka
27-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Playing simple stuff doesn't mean being not very good. The main is to combine properly, the main is harmony and it is present in Muse songs as well as in Matt's guitar and piano solos

t.gypsy
27-12-2009, 08:12 PM
mmmm still a debate going on here isnt there, i doubt very much that any of us is going to come up with some sort of agreement about this topic but hey i like some of the things we are saying....

rufygirl
27-12-2009, 09:26 PM
You guys are trying to argue against me but you are infact agreeing with my point exactly

lol, you had to know making a post with that subject title was going to get some fans riled up, yes? I understand what you are saying, but you might want to tweek the post title.

There are a lot of technical guitar players that bore me to tears. I like the feeling I get from Matt's guitar playing, same goes for like Jack White's from-the-hip type playing. I find a lot of technical playing kind of soulless and it can lack emotion. I'm probably in the minority though.

MuseOnMyMind
27-12-2009, 09:34 PM
fuck this. fuck, fuck, fuck this whole thread.

beanowraith
27-12-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm not a troll!

Views?

EDIT:

When I say he's not good, I mean stick him on his own, no singing, just sitting on a chair with his guitar and all he can play is very simple stuff. Now combine him with his voice, creativity, feeling and song writting and that is what makes him special. I dont been bad as in the music itself is bad.

And stop saying 1000 npm is not always good, I dint say fast did I? I have tried to learn Hotel California Solo, which is fairy slow yes? Its fucking impossible. Where as the Hysteria solo is like 10 mins practise and you know it.

I incase you still dont get it, I know this is not what makes him brilliant! It's just an observation..

look at nirvirna? most simplest songs in the world, will outlive most of muse stuff, it doesnt have to be technicle, as a guitar player myself i know what its like to enjoy a certain riff, or song just becuase its nice to play. people who start showing off tend to not go very far and then get aggresive at people. (this is not a backlash, just my personal opinion on yours)

Anxyous
27-12-2009, 10:34 PM
For me, skill has nothing to do with how fast or intricate you can play something. Matt has come up with a lot of awesome riffs and solos, and is therefore in my opinion a great guitarist.

futurophy
27-12-2009, 10:40 PM
dont know much about guitar but y'know.. he sounds good :erm:

t.gypsy
27-12-2009, 10:45 PM
fuck this. fuck, fuck, fuck this whole thread.

when your done please make sure you clean up your mess taaa

svenBliss
28-12-2009, 12:26 AM
I also think that matt doesn't really show what he's capable of in the music (for whatever reason... be it singing/afraid of showing off/afraid of fucking it up live/it not fitting in the music... etc)... so you have to take that into account.

nevermind572
28-12-2009, 01:38 AM
OP, I understand what you're saying. I agree with you. You just can't come into a Muse forum and saying anything seemingly negative about Muse without having people immediately disagree. :p

He's definitely not bad. Above average even. But I'll admit I never really got why people hailed him as this guitar genius, because none of the riffs are that amazing. Good to listen to, yes. I'm not saying they're bad or that complexity is necessarily better! All we're saying is, from what he displays in his songs, Matt's guitar playing isn't that technically complex, since many people who have been playing 1 or 2 years could do it no problem. Not bad, just not complex! That's all.

Creativity is a different story, I definitely could not write music the way Matt does, but that's not what I'm talking about, just technical guitar playing.

Animus
28-12-2009, 03:13 AM
im getting a bit tired of this thread....

adds
28-12-2009, 03:23 AM
muse songs have simple(ish) guitar riffs etc however they arent an accurate reflection of bells' skill as a guitarist, listen to bedroom acoustics. he's pretty damn good at flemenco guitar and as has been mentioned his creativity with actually writing the stuff he does is why he is considered on of the best guitarists of our time.

palcorn10
28-12-2009, 03:48 AM
I think what makes him so amazing is that he can write such simple things, but they sound incredible. Absolutely incredible.

nevermind572
28-12-2009, 04:07 AM
:rolleyes:

Mizutsu
28-12-2009, 04:33 AM
No:

3-1 WE WIN!

+42

Kimberley
28-12-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm not a troll!

Really? I know a lot of musicians, some of them are pretty good guitarists and they've struggled with Muse (not Hysteria, some other songs aren't as simple). And one guy I know is fairly average but he can play Hotel California relatively easily.

Just saying.

Dina F.K.K.
28-12-2009, 05:34 AM
I worry if there are people who become members of this forum, but actually they are not fans of muse, and just wanted to annoy the other fans and muse itself.

micaelams
28-12-2009, 05:39 AM
No:

1. One!
You say : "He does not play anything very technical and all their 'big hits' can be covered on the guitar quite simply."

And we said: "EVERY song by every band is coverable, the important thing is to compose"

So we win 1 point

2. Two!
Matt Bellamy IS NOT Muse, have you seen Matt Bellamy play guitar at his house or whatever? Nah you haven't, so how do you know he doesn't know how to play some metal riffs? No one knows!
Matt makes songs FOR MUSE that are suitable for live performances, he does two things, so he can't compose something speed metal because he wouldn't be able to sing and play at the same time.

We win 1 point again!

3. Three!
You say:
"Muse are pretty much all I listen too and Bellamy is a god. I've seen them live, front row standing and it was fucking incredible."

You win 1 point! We are talking about the same thing!

4. Four!
You say: "I'm not saying he isn't talented, but I have to be honest, as a guitar player myself, He is not that good a guitarist!"
Yeah what a bad opinion you have, already said that we're saying about covers!

We win 1 point!

So you won one point for saying Matt is god, and we win 3 because we aren't talking the same!

3-1 WE WIN!

MUSERS---------> 3 (millon :awesome:)

PESSIMIST GUY SAYING HE'S NOT A TROLL BUT HE IS1(000000000001)

micaelams
28-12-2009, 05:48 AM
i'm getting f:rolleyes: tired of this thread too...
MUSERS---------> 3 (millon :awesome:)

PESSIMIST GUY SAYING HE'S NOT A TROLL BUT HE IS1(000000000001)

YOUUUUU WILL NOT FOOOOORCEEEE USSS!!!
YOU WILL STOP DEGRADING MATT's skills!!!!
YOU WILL NOT CONTROOOOLLL USSSS!!!
WEEEE WILL BE VICTOOOOORIOUSSSS
(cuz we 3- and you one (really fast))

you really dont know muse fans... or do you? we can sneak into your house to see how good YOU play the guitar... and make a thread saying '''(whatever your name is) is not THAT good at guitar'':ninja: well... im just saying this thread is worthless..

nevermind572
28-12-2009, 08:12 AM
The past few posts have made me feel the need to repeat my :rolleyes: at least 10 times over.

You guys are missing the point. And even so, can't you take a bit of criticism? Jeez. It's not like the thread starter is bashing Muse anyway, they're just expressing an opinion. No one said Muse or Matt was bad, just that the given riffs are not terribly complex or difficult to manage, which again, isn't necessarily bad.

cherry lips
28-12-2009, 09:29 AM

:yesey::sleepy::sleepy:

Octazooka
28-12-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm not a troll!

Views?

EDIT:

:eek:

I fear for you, my friend...Prepare to get slimed by the PMTers...in 3,2..

nevermind572
28-12-2009, 09:54 AM

:LOL: I think it's already too late

Octazooka
28-12-2009, 10:07 AM
:LOL: I think it's already too late
:LOL:

CarrieB
28-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Actually I don't remember seeing a thread quite as defensive as this before. :shifty: This board usually appears to display more bashing than adulation, to me anyway.

Perhaps if the OP had named the thread "Matt Bellamy's guitar skills" and then made the point he wanted in make in his post, he would have received a different reaction.

I just accept what Matt says himself that his guitar playing isn't particularly advanced technically, though he was commenting on the description "genius", but it certainly looks and sounds fantastic, and I think creatively he's very special, up with the greats.:)

Mints
28-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Tbh, what we've seen him play isn't all that advanced, but we haven't seen him play the best he possibly can, therefore we don't know. He wouldn't just show off with superhard guitar skills in songs as he has to perform them live, sing, and dance and prance around the stage like the man does, and maybe something really advanced wouldn't fit the mood of the song or whatever. Also, the simple riffs are the ones people remember and most of the time sound better and are most effective.

micaelams
28-12-2009, 04:19 PM

if he is a muser, then for saying his ''opinion'', he would have been in an auto-destruction sequence long time ago... but he didnt, so he's just a troll

Tofu
28-12-2009, 04:55 PM
you guys are all nuts.

Naughtrish
28-12-2009, 04:59 PM
It might have been posted before in this thread, anyway... have a look:

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=69516

Lotus_Lily
29-12-2009, 05:14 AM
OMG :eek: :noey:

Matt is modest, that's all. He's not Jimi Hendrix (coz there was only one, doh) but he's :awesome:

And if his playing is not enough for you, go listening to Joe Satriani and other guys like him and post on their fan threads. Fair enough, it would be. Have a great week. :musesign:

Kris.
29-12-2009, 02:32 PM
For heaven's sake. :stunned:

Davey
29-12-2009, 03:50 PM
tbh right matt is fooking awesome at guitar because everyone always thinks bein good at guitar is playing fast as hell and shredding like mad and doing huge loud solos but it isnt.
I mean obviously you have to be able to play and being good at improvising is a big thing to which btw matt can do :happy: (which i cant :() and his solos are composed and structured and not just a choppy mess :happy:
also the biggest thing i think about being awesome at guitar is soul...matt puts alot of emotion into his playing when he picks up that manson take falling away with you and invincible for example (im sure us musers can name many more) :happy:

so by conclusion matt is brilliantly awesome at guitar end of :happy:

but btw im not here to argue im stating that in my eyes and many other true guitarists eyes THAT is what makes a truly awesome guitar player :happy:

svenBliss
29-12-2009, 04:15 PM

then don't come here you nonce

svenBliss
29-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Look at Steve Hackett from Genesis... an amazing guitarist, but often times their song didn't include that much technically difficult guitar/lead guitar work. His solo's are not easy to learn and his tapping was phenomenal for his time, but a lot of songs don't include that much tricky guitar work.

hutterflies&burricanes
29-12-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't get why we need a new thread everytime someone decides they have an opinion which they know will get a reaction :erm:

schneck
29-12-2009, 10:30 PM
I don't get why we need a new thread everytime someone decides they have an opinion which they know will get a reaction :erm:

+ gazillion

MuseMegz
29-12-2009, 10:43 PM
tbh right matt is fooking awesome at guitar because everyone always thinks bein good at guitar is playing fast as hell and shredding like mad and doing huge loud solos but it isnt.
I mean obviously you have to be able to play and being good at improvising is a big thing to which btw matt can do :happy: (which i cant :() and his solos are composed and structured and not just a choppy mess :happy:
also the biggest thing i think about being awesome at guitar is soul...matt puts alot of emotion into his playing when he picks up that manson take falling away with you and invincible for example (im sure us musers can name many more) :happy:

so by conclusion matt is brilliantly awesome at guitar end of :happy:

but btw im not here to argue im stating that in my eyes and many other true guitarists eyes THAT is what makes a truly awesome guitar player :happy:

+1!!! :happy:, especially that first and last sentence :yesey:.

Furygirl
29-12-2009, 10:48 PM
To me, what makes Muse wonderful is not Matt's technical guitar skills. That's a small part of it, but for me it's mostly the originality of the music as a whole, and the way it makes me feel when I listen to it.

beatlesmaniac98
30-12-2009, 01:05 AM
this is the most useless and shit thread ever made LOCK please

and....................

IBTY<-------- my first ibty :awesome:

Ahkmed
31-12-2009, 05:35 AM
To me, what makes Muse wonderful is not Matt's technical guitar skills. That's a small part of it, but for me it's mostly the originality of the music as a whole, and the way it makes me feel when I listen to it.

This. :yesey: Matt is still amazing at guitar and the solo in Citizen Erased gives me chills every time I hear it. But for me it's the feeling I have when listening to their music. It's so different and no other band has done that for me.

Kazza3
31-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Hmm. OP has some points- at no point, live or studio have we seen anything technically outstanding. But his strength is in his perfect playing of parts, especially live, where he pulls off not only that, but adds effects he has to control (Kaoss, sustainer) and has to sing (probably a major reason for simpler guitar parts).
You're all right- a guitarist might be technically awesome, but Matt's simple parts have a lot more impact. Although, while I love solos such as in SS and Hysteria, I dislike how they're rigid, more like another melody than a solo. I prefer more organic solos- GL, US and Exo I are probably better at this. But like I said, I love the solos in SS and Hysteria, proof that simplicity works.

31-12-2009, 06:38 AM
I'm not a troll!

Views?

EDIT:

I'm sorry but...

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/cpolio/obvious_troll.jpg

Mushroom-Knight
31-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Well yeah, so what if Matt's guitar skills are simple? I don't really see how thay're hard either... I think the reason everyone loves his skill is because he knows what to do with it. Like, he's in catalogues for best guitarists or whatever because he does things that most guitarists don't normally think about making, you know?

Think about it. If you listen to riffs or whatever, they're really different than other guitarists you normally hear. That's why he's so awesome.

Mozza
31-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Matt's skill is being able to make something interesting without making it too complicated. Infact thats why I like Muse so much as a whole. Stuff like the Hysteria bassline sounds awesome but is actually easy to play.

Octazooka
31-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Just one question to whoever made this thread:

If you think that Matt isn't a good guitar player, why are you still in this board? :wtf:

/calls for b33f

Cyndris
31-12-2009, 01:47 PM

If you think that Matt isn't a good guitar player, why are you still in this board? :wtf:

/calls for b33f

He isn't thinking Matt is a bad guitar player ffs. Why are you all missing the fucking point?!
He's just saying he isn't SUPER-ULTRA-UBER-WTF-ZOMG or whatever. And as he's said:
IT'S NOT BAD
He's probs just a fan as everybody here. Don't be so overprotective :rolleyes:

Mozza
31-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah lets get this straight..........Matt is not the best guitarist ever, he's just good at what he does (effects, riffs and building an atmosphere). That was the original point of the first post.

svenBliss
31-12-2009, 04:03 PM

/calls for b33f

What a way to end the year...

micaelams
31-12-2009, 06:45 PM
i've been dying to say this since bertha went crazy:

this thread is a FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPIFICATION.
google it :awesome:

MuseMegz
02-01-2010, 07:15 PM
He isn't thinking Matt is a bad guitar player ffs. Why are you all missing the fucking point?!
He's just saying he isn't SUPER-ULTRA-UBER-WTF-ZOMG or whatever. And as he's said:
IT'S NOT BAD

We cant help being protective of our Matteh ;).

RedStar
03-01-2010, 12:13 AM
that's his passion, performance and meanings that make him great.
that's the memories that he leaves.

AJ20R
03-01-2010, 12:14 AM
http://www.nwkniterati.com/movabletype/archives/MossyCottage/banana.jpg

jonnys777
03-01-2010, 12:37 AM

We know we don't need to be protective of Matt, everyone knows he can look after himself.... he did create the universe after all.

Kimberley
03-01-2010, 09:15 AM
We know we don't need to be protective of Matt, everyone knows he can look after himself.... he did create the universe after all.

You know what I really love about Matt's guitar playing? He plays it almost as though its a part of him, like its an extra limb or something. Lol.

This isn't a reaction to anything btw, I just felt like saying it. :happy:

kinerz
04-01-2010, 07:05 AM
yes they may be easy to replicate but could you have made the guitar riff for map of the problematique on your own? i know i couldnt, matt never has been about having the best or fastest solos, exept for maybe invincible.. which he absolutely nails live everytime by the way, but the perfect guiar riff for a song isnt always the most insane riff or most technical peice of wonder... its not ability that defines someone as a guitarist, its their creativity, and matt has it in buckets

paper tiger
04-01-2010, 07:06 AM
what is this fuckery?

Kimberley
04-01-2010, 09:40 AM
what is this fuckery?

:LOL::LOL:

ナナ~
04-01-2010, 12:27 PM

You know what I really love about Matt's guitar playing? He plays it almost as though its a part of him, like its an extra limb or something. Lol.

Yeah, "extra limb" is one of the most correct definitions, imho.
I was thinking about it a couple of days ago, while watching some old stuff ^^

Kimberley
04-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah, "extra limb" is one of the most correct definitions, imho.
I was thinking about it a couple of days ago, while watching some old stuff ^^

I believe I was watching HAARP when I noticed that. Sometimes it just looks like it would be completely unnatural for the guitar to be separate from him, if you get my drift. Of course, that has nothing to do with technical skill, but I do think it's the main reason why people really notice him as a guitarist.

ナナ~
04-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I believe I was watching HAARP when I noticed that. Sometimes it just looks like it would be completely unnatural for the guitar to be separate from him, if you get my drift. Of course, that has nothing to do with technical skill, but I do think it's the main reason why people really notice him as a guitarist.

I actually think the same. It's (almost) all in the naturalness and confidence of his playing.

Victoroy
06-01-2010, 10:41 PM
I understand what you mean thread starter guy, and I agree; Matt Bellamy is not a great technical guitarist However, what makes him so special is that he finds a way to distinguish himself from the crowd and make his music sound good without having to be be technical, and that is the beauty of Matt Bellamy :) He is an excellent songwriter.

Cyndris
06-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I understand what you mean thread starter guy, and I agree; Matt Bellamy is not a great technical guitarist However, what makes him so special is that he finds a way to distinguish himself from the crowd and make his music sound good without having to be be technical, and that is the beauty of Matt Bellamy :) He is an excellent songwriter.

/end thread

Tofu
06-01-2010, 11:11 PM
why is this thread still alive? D:
I like the extra limb comparison, though.

Ella
06-01-2010, 11:38 PM

A 6th limb, then?

Furygirl
06-01-2010, 11:39 PM
A 6th limb, then?

Oh, you! :LOL:

Ella
07-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Oh, you! :LOL:

And the PMT takes over the thread!

A for Awesomeness
02-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Matt doesn't play in a band called The Matt Bellamy Experience, so maybe of course not all of his songs are crazy solos; he's not a blatant "LOOK AT MY FINGERS, I'M SO GOOD" ridiculous death metal guitar player.
Also, he probably knows himself most of fast senseless melodies in his band's music would sound like shit. But watch him play live.
Watch HAARP or Glastonbury 2004; he plays it fluently, he jumps around playing it, he shreds chord progressions while doing all those dynamic vocals.
So you obviously can have your opinion, and I respect it completely; but it would be quite weird if someone obsessed with music who is now 32 in a week that has been playing since age 14 can't play all those studioforce solos.

drawakangaroo
02-06-2010, 10:04 PM
He knows that blending in with the rest of the instruments is more important than showing off how good you are. That's what makes him a great guitarist.

Sorry if this has been said a million times already :LOL:

Maritje
02-06-2010, 10:48 PM
What is this I don't even..........
Gtfo.

dip
02-06-2010, 11:06 PM
He's also terrible at sex.

futurellama
03-06-2010, 02:13 AM
Just because he wouldn't put out for you, dip :rolleyes:

ninsp
03-06-2010, 02:18 AM
You are fucking stupid. It's not about how technical it is but the fucking tone he creates. It's unique and damn near impossible to recreate. Are you in any way musically inclined because if so you'd know his music is quite technical and hard as hell to do.

Dumbass.

jemzaza
03-06-2010, 03:07 AM
k, i see your point in that he's not had formal lessons for years, doesn't know every musical scale, be it C major or F# melodic minor, and that he can't play technical Spanish guitar like Dragonforce x10,000, but that's one's own technical standards. Who says guitar has to be played that way? By Tom Morello's standards, Matt Bellamy's extremely well-versed in guitar.

Music can either be a) technical or b) emotional, and Matt himself has said that music is more emotional for people than it is technical. So maybe by your standards, if you prefer your music to be technical, he's not that good at guitar, but by others' standards, such as mine, if we prefer ours to be emotional, he's freakin' amazing.

imo, you should know what you're doing with your music and notes, but you still gotta make it like you mean it. I mean, music's null if it's without feeling. because then, it's not music; it's varying pitches, rhythms, dynamics, and timbres put together, and that's that.

TrebleRose689
03-06-2010, 03:28 AM
what is this fuckery?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I agree with what everyone else has been saying -- being an incredible musician goes so far beyond being a "technically" good player. That's not what creates the power or the beauty of the music. You've gotta feel it, love it, and essentially be it... which Matt clearly does (and then some). Just look at that man perform live. You can just see that he's doing exactly what he wants and was meant to do. (Not to mention his skills go way beyond playing the guitar... he's an incredible singer and over-all performer as well! And while his playing may not be "technically difficult", he's really creative and innovative with the sounds he's able to make!)

Plus (also as others have been mentioning) people sometimes forget that Muse is not made up of just Matt. He's not gonna just write crazy, intense guitar stuff for himself and go "zOMG look at meeee!". They find a really great balance in their songs so that Matt, Chris, and Dom are all able to blend their music together and really showcase what artists all off them truly are.

I'm sorry that ended up so long and I'm sorry if it was rambling or made zero sense. I'm kind of half-asleep at the moment :LOL:

In conclusion... :matt: :musesign: :awesome:

naomithegreat
03-06-2010, 03:34 AM
this is a bunch of fuckery and bitchassness. i'm not sure why we're questioning matteh's talent right now.

good day. :phu:

kjk62289
03-06-2010, 03:44 AM
I'm not a troll!

Views?

EDIT:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z284/katelynjustine15/fishfail.jpg

choco_chia83
03-06-2010, 05:02 AM
Technical skill is just a tool. Just because a musician is technically proficient does not mean their music is universally good. For example, I hate Steve Vai even though he’s incredibly skilled, his music has no emotional impact on me whatsoever.
Also, music is totally subjective and based on emotion and subconscious workings of the mind. When you find a song catchy or enjoyable it is not a conscious decision. No one should be made to feel guilty or unintelligent for liking a certain song.

Tofu
03-06-2010, 05:13 AM
This thread is still alive?

Railroad
03-06-2010, 05:16 AM

Matt Bellamy is sometimes too humble for his own good. What he's saying is it's not difficult for *him*. For us normal humans, it's frequently all but impossible.

I get what you're trying to say, but I think *maybe* the issue is that you and your brother are more accomplished at guitar than you think you are. By no means am I proficient at guitar, but I know enough to know what he's doing is *not* easy. If it's easy for you, then it sounds like you're pretty #<%€\! amazing at guitar yourself.

Needless to say, I disagree with your assertions. ;)

Lord MFC
04-06-2010, 11:40 PM
k, i see your point in that he's not had formal lessons for years, doesn't know every musical scale, be it C major or F# melodic minor, and that he can't play technical Spanish guitar like Dragonforce x10,000, but that's one's own technical standards. Who says guitar has to be played that way? By Tom Morello's standards, Matt Bellamy's extremely well-versed in guitar.

Music can either be a) technical or b) emotional, and Matt himself has said that music is more emotional for people than it is technical. So maybe by your standards, if you prefer your music to be technical, he's not that good at guitar, but by others' standards, such as mine, if we prefer ours to be emotional, he's freakin' amazing.

imo, you should know what you're doing with your music and notes, but you still gotta make it like you mean it. I mean, music's null if it's without feeling. because then, it's not music; it's varying pitches, rhythms, dynamics, and timbres put together, and that's that.

Fuck off - dragonforce are horse shit mixed with pigs piss compared to muse :mad: also this is a MUSE message board so you are going nowhere when there are a few hundred muse enthusiasts online :p

hey
04-06-2010, 11:48 PM
WRONG.
Matt is very modest, and doesn't show off. He is fucking amazing, don't underestimate anything he does.

Expect to get horrible comments, because, posting THIS on a forum that bows down to the holy face of Muse and all its members, deserves a bit of verbal abuse. Think before you say certain things.

Alienora
05-06-2010, 12:11 AM
A 6th limb, then?

:facepalm: :LOL:

And the PMT takes over the thread!

Yeah! PMT ftw! :LOL:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z284/katelynjustine15/fishfail.jpg

:eek: It's awful!!! Poor fish! (Um... which one?!.. :LOL: )

This thread is still alive?

Yes Allison, it is! *sigh*
But at least some posts are fun!

WRONG.
Matt is very modest, and doesn't show off. He is fucking amazing, don't underestimate anything he does.

Expect to get horrible comments, because, posting THIS on a forum that bows down to the holy face of Muse and all its members, deserves a bit of verbal abuse. Think before you say certain things.

And you're only 11. Respect. :happy:

InvincibleMicroStar
19-06-2010, 02:28 PM
If you think Matt isn't a great guitarist then why is he 'Total guitar magazine's Guitarist Of The Decade'??
:matt: :matt: :matt:

http://erato1.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/matt-bellamy-total-guitar.jpg

http://erato1.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/matt-bellamy-total-guitar-4.jpg

http://erato1.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/matt-bellamy-total-guitar-2.jpg

InvincibleMicroStar
29-06-2010, 09:37 PM
:(

PUGER KO
29-06-2010, 11:41 PM
yea iv seen about a million videos of matt shredding and it's very clear he is waaaay above average,..just cuz their songs aren't full of minute long solos mean matt is an avrg guitarist,..cmon he is able to play recurdos de la alhambra..that song is incredibly hard,.just look it up on the u tube..

sharika
01-07-2010, 01:02 PM
I think that he is really skilled but he just doesn't try and fancy up all of his songs..he's a musical genious and he knows how to manipulate the guitar and make simple but amaaazing sounding things...just because he isnt all shredding and sweeping doesn't mean he's not good...and you know he can to all the technical stuff because there are a few songs where he does amazing things..he just chooses to kep it sweet and simple :matt:

InvincibleMicroStar
01-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Another point is that he doesn't show off like other guitarists do. :matt:

guitarpunk
03-08-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you! I think he's a great guitarist. By no means do you have to play complicated and 'technical' riffs and solos to be a good guitarist. The simples ones are probably the best. And also I'd get seriously frustrated if I loved a song and wanted to learn it on guitar and I couldn't because I didn't have the right amount of skill. It'd drive me mental. Just for him to think of the stuff he does is all together something amazing, to copy what someone else wrote and writing your own songs are completely different ball games. Writing songs is so much harder. He is an extremely talented man and a brilliant guitarist. I've only learnt 2 Muse songs on guitar, Uprising and Plug In Baby, I'm having a tough time with how fast the intro to Plug In Baby is but I'll manage. ;) That was a bit silly to diss Matt on a Muse forum.

Caff
03-08-2010, 03:20 PM
If you think Matt isn't a great guitarist then why is he 'Total guitar magazine's Guitarist Of The Decade'??
:matt: :matt: :matt:

Genuinely not trying to be negative for the sake of it but...coming top of stuff like that is fairly meaningless considering another guitar magazine might vote for someone else. It's very subjective. It's also subjective whether or not the contributors of magazines are able to make the best judgement.

But if it's not a reader poll I suppose it has more meaning than the NME polls that everyone rigs.

ˇTom!
03-08-2010, 09:57 PM
i agree to an EXTENT of this.
How he comes up with these solos and how he plays it perfectly is incredible, but many many muse songs are extremely easy to learn on a guitar.
I do think he is the best guitarist around these days.

You have some balls to post this thread!

jack259
03-08-2010, 11:06 PM
I think Matt is one of the best of his generation. Can't really justify that personally, but I think he is better than he makes himself out to be.
Hard to explain really. But I think he is a very good guitar player.

cherry lips
04-08-2010, 06:09 AM
Genuinely not trying to be negative for the sake of it but...coming top of stuff like that is fairly meaningless considering another guitar magazine might vote for someone else. It's very subjective. It's also subjective whether or not the contributors of magazines are able to make the best judgement.

But if it's not a reader poll I suppose it has more meaning than the NME polls that everyone rigs.

+1

Yeah! PMT ftw! :LOL:

PMT :LOL::p

alyssa_
04-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Matt's great at guitar. His compositions are tasteful and aren't filled with gratuitous guitar wankery. :LOL: You can always go to a Dragonforce gig if you want that sort of stuff.

War_is_Overdue
04-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Matt's great at guitar. His compositions are tasteful and aren't filled with gratuitous guitar wankery. :LOL: You can always go to a Dragonforce gig if you want that sort of stuff.
QFT

m0hawk
22-09-2010, 01:40 PM
I'd say Matt is a VERY talented clapper. Sure, maybe he doesn't have the technical clappage of the greats like The Wiggles (what do you fucking expect?), but honestly, who cares? It's the emotion he puts in each clap and fist pump that's important. I'm happy to see Muse doing the right thing by incorporating more clapping in the liver performances. In the studio, the claps sound utter shite, but it really shines live, so thats good I guess.

Mudstep5956
22-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Your face is not that good at guitar

Matthijs
22-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Matt's not the best out there, but if you look at a video like this one you can say he's still a lot better then the muse songs normally show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA0L30GA2ts

JimboMansonMB-1
23-12-2010, 02:29 AM
You're a n00b if you think technical proficiency makes a great guitarist :LOL:

Dr Leigh
23-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Really? You HAD to bring this troll thread back? :noey:

Banksy.
23-12-2010, 11:23 AM
It's not really a troll thread though, is it....

And I would say, apart from what are, in my opinion, muse's worst songs, the solo's etc. tend to be to create a mood rather than anything else. the robot feel of Plug In Baby or the paranoic feel in Hysteria.

JimboMansonMB-1
23-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Really? You HAD to bring this troll thread back? :noey:

Not a troll thread, I think it's kinda funny :LOL:

loyaltomuse
23-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Playing the guitar is just a skill anyone can master w/practice but it takes ingenuity to create the kind of music you hear on any of the MUSE albums. Whatever instrument Matt plays, whether it's the guitar, piano or his voice, he uses it as if it's an extension of his soul. You can hear it in his voice and see it in his expression on stage. He's a BRILLIANT musician! :)

JimboMansonMB-1
23-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Playing the guitar is just a skill anyone can master w/practice but it takes ingenuity to create the kind of music you hear on any of the MUSE albums. Whatever instrument Matt plays, whether it's the guitar, piano or his voice, he uses it as if it's an extension of his soul. You can hear it in his voice and see it in his expression on stage. He's a BRILLIANT musician! :)

This! Thank you!

Tjet
23-12-2010, 03:21 PM
he uses it as if it's an extension of his soul.
Oh dear god.

lukester911
23-12-2010, 03:23 PM
he uses it as if it's an extension of his soul.

So, technically, it's a horcrux? I knew the large nose was compensating for something!

Frakkles
23-12-2010, 03:23 PM
You know the funny thing?

Matt, himself, has said he doesn't think of himself as a good guitarist. :LOL: Such an attention whore :noey:

MuseMegz
23-12-2010, 03:24 PM
yea iv seen about a million videos of matt shredding and it's very clear he is waaaay above average,..just cuz their songs aren't full of minute long solos mean matt is an avrg guitarist,..cmon he is able to play recurdos de la alhambra..that song is incredibly hard,.just look it up on the u tube..

+1 :yesey:

Tjet
23-12-2010, 03:28 PM
+1 :yesey:
Just so you know, Matts "shredding" skills isn't exactly something special.

MuseMegz
23-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Just so you know, Matts "shredding" skills isn't exactly something special.

Yeah i know... but i still think he's ace at guitar :LOL: ;).

Liz0_o
24-12-2010, 10:24 AM
What matt chooses to show us is nothing compared to what he can really do. So says a source myself and aurora met in exeter.

Simno
24-12-2010, 10:33 AM
So, technically, it's a horcrux? I knew the large nose was compensating for something!

AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAH! :LOL:

Thank you for brightening up Christmas Eve at work for me! :LOL:

jeffrey0603
24-12-2010, 11:01 AM
He's pretty good, but he does not really show much of his skills. New born solo isn't hard at all, just tapping and quick movements of your fretting hand. I consider Bedroom Acoustics pretty hard. And theory wise, matt is genius. Just look at Space Dementia, it has over 20 fucking chords.

Gareeh
24-12-2010, 11:48 AM
i have to agree matt is capable of much better things but because muse have gone more "soft" or whatever he chooses not to play the harder songs but the ones with more well known and catchy riffs.

it's his own choice at the end of the day, he can appeal to the masses, or appeal to himself.

and compared to pre-bhar days, i don't think matt knows the difference anymore.

Lumiere
24-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Is it really all about the: "Look ma I can play guitar without my hands" deal today?
I don't think that if you can shred solos a-la-Petrucci that you are actually considered "good" or "excellent". The reason being that in today's world, skills aren't everything. It's the complete piece together that makes it worth listening to. It's the teamwork in the music, the meaning behind it, the sound and also its simplicity that makes it unique.
I'm tired of 7 minute guitars solos on stage that are showing me what? That you can play guitar? Good, now move over and let me listen to something that has deeper meaning.

Just my opinion...

Matt might not be a petrucci-guit-player, but he certainly knows how to attract attention with deep meaning music. As far as their last album goes...
But this comes from someone who can't play guitar... But has wicked visual art techniques, keen ear sense and uses music as a source of inspiration...

OneWhoGoes
25-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Bellamy actually is not very good technically, in that respect is overrated, pretty much like The Edge. You don't have to be a genious to see that.

That technically good players have no feeling in their songs is another very spouted thing by ignorant Bellamy wannabies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCCOrMarx8I

Some other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v_fFoYgsPo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOsgv_X_cV8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZPtxdm5SHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLJWIV7FF84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnlkku8d8VU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBww_g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkeXE6FOf6s

Tjet
25-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Buckethead, Petrucci and Frusciante. All three are great technically, and all three are showing so much emotion and soul in their playing.

It's a lame excuse that all these technical players don't have a soul while playing.

Lumiere
26-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Buckethead, Petrucci and Frusciante. All three are great technically, and all three are showing so much emotion and soul in their playing.

It's a lame excuse that all these technical players don't have a soul while playing.

It's not about saying they don't have a soul, it's about appreciating simplicity in non-tech players.
:)

Tjet
26-12-2010, 03:44 PM
It's not about saying they don't have a soul, it's about appreciating simplicity in non-tech players.
:)
And the constant bashing in this thread on guitarists who can shred like crazy is not used to defend Matt?

Tjet
26-12-2010, 03:55 PM
now THIS is boring and emotionless playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD7vZ-Mu-N4

This is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65WprS9e5uM

Lumiere
26-12-2010, 05:45 PM
And the constant bashing in this thread on guitarists who can shred like crazy is not used to defend Matt?

In my opinion, I feel like we shouldn't compare non-tech with tech guys...
It's like saying oranges are better then clementines...
There should be a justified middle.

Tjet
26-12-2010, 08:17 PM
In my opinion, I feel like we shouldn't compare non-tech with tech guys...
It's like saying oranges are better then clementines...
There should be a justified middle.
I judge guitarist by skill, creativity, feeling and what it makes ME feel.

I rate Frusciante a lot higher than Matt, but Matt still has some of my favorite guitar moments, with Showbiz, Darkshines and Screenager.

Lumiere
26-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I judge guitarist by skill, creativity, feeling and what it makes ME feel.

I rate Frusciante a lot higher than Matt, but Matt still has some of my favorite guitar moments, with Showbiz, Darkshines and Screenager.

Whatever tickles your fancy :)