PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Musers Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33

lensip max
25-02-2011, 01:08 AM
my family and I are well.Glad you're safe.

So busy. I have to reorganise the furniture throughout the house before I come North on Sunday.

Super Sammy!
25-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Now, I know that I may have said that the looters are terrible, but this is just...I don't even know:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=114085221999421

The comments from some people is embarrassing, especially on the photos. While I have no objections to name and shame and these people do deserve punishment, the amount of torture and death threats is saddening, especially when it wouldn't surprise me if some arsehole has simply posted a Facebook profile of a person they don't like (and they'd have to cop it - you can message most people, even if they're not your friends).

I haven't explained what I mean very well, and I'm not defending these people, but they're the least of people's worries at the moment, and I think wishing torture and death upon them is a bit far. I find it a bit upsetting, if anything.

edit:
And on refreshing the page, I found this: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Christchurch-Looters-Should-be-Hung/195428723815558
It's just going a bit far, and I think people have better things to focus on.

_Ed_
25-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I absolutely agree.

I was disgusted that some people posted negative comments on Len Brown's announcement that Auckland was donating $1.5m. They were objecting to ratepayers' money being given away like that. Come on, it comes to $1 for each Aucklander.

They said people should make their own donations. They absolutely should, I agree, but I think it's important for the city as a whole to make a united gesture like that as well.

Fortunately those negative views were strongly rebutted, and people where overwhelmingly in favour of the donation.

darkshineskitty
28-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Hey Moas. What horrible news about that earthquake down in Christchurch. No-one I know was down there (a friend had been doing research with the uni after the first one, but they came back way before the second), but my older cousin's partner's parents live down there. Apparently they're all fine, but their house is ruined. A real shame. Its very tragic for all the people who have had to deal with so many aftershocks from the first already, and then to have another happen.

In other news I am in the university library- sneaky Moas could probably find me :LOL:

_Ed_
28-02-2011, 12:26 AM
You found a computer in the library? :eek: Kudos!

I'm in the postgrad lab - the only place I can find that's safe from all the first years. There really is an abundance of them around today.

Michelle
01-03-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm in the postgrad lab - the only place I can find that's safe from all the first years. There really is an abundance of them around today.

They sure are abundant. At one point there was a heard of students all walking in the same direction and it looked like a great migration you would see on a national geographic documentary! It was so noisy between 12 and 1pm when everyone was sitting outside having lunch.

Not long ago some drunk idiot started attacking the tube withholding all the telephone cables outside my place and completely broke them all :wtf:

JoBear
01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Can't say I'm going to miss Simon Power.

Can he take his shitty people in prison can't vote and 3 strikes laws with him?

_Ed_
02-03-2011, 12:05 AM
That would be ideal.

It's a random "retirement". Probably accepting that he's never gonna be prime minister.

JoBear
02-03-2011, 12:12 AM
He's probably been offered a massive paycheck in the private sector that won't be scrutinised by the general public.

_Ed_
02-03-2011, 01:02 AM
That's incredibly likely.

Ghosty Ghost
03-03-2011, 09:08 AM
National are dicks http://gordoncampbell.scoop.co.nz/2011/03/02/on-bill-english%E2%80%99s-politicizing-earthquake-response-the-rwc/

_Ed_
03-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, absolutely.

I'm not sure why they're so opposed to the idea of a special levy. It wouldn't have to be a big amount at all per person, and I think the disaster has affected us to such an extent that I don't think it's something many people would complain about.

JoBear
03-03-2011, 06:55 PM
The levy for earthquakes already essentially exists with EQC. Sure, not everyone pays it but most people that it affects would have (businesses, home owners, content insurance). Not sure it's justifiable to put another one on. I'd agree with scaling back Working for Families as Labour should have never extended it to as many earners as they did (but then again, it was the very reason I had a job straight out of Uni).

Putting interest on student loans wouldn't do anything. People still are only ever going to pay the minimum requirement through PAYE and fuck off overseas without paying it (legally at least for the first 3 years of repayment holiday). Some people might be responsible and then want to pay it off as quick as possible but that's barely going to make a dent.

Super Sammy!
04-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Putting interest on student loans wouldn't do anything. People still are only ever going to pay the minimum requirement through PAYE and fuck off overseas without paying it (legally at least for the first 3 years of repayment holiday). Some people might be responsible and then want to pay it off as quick as possible but that's barely going to make a dent.

Although I know that debt is something I hate, at some point in my life I'm going to get a mortgage, I'll probably end up getting a credit card (although I'll avoid them like the plague) and I really don't think paying off my student loan will ever be a priority. I'll just pay the minimum until it's finally paid off when I'm 60 or something :p

_Ed_
04-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Beautifully fine pretty much all summer here, apart from the two days I most wanted to be fine - the BDO in January and now Derby day tomorrow. :( The rain is lashing down right now. Oh well. It won't matter at all if Jimmy wins. He's so awesome. :happy:

_Ed_
04-03-2011, 12:37 PM
http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/macaulay-culkin-play-julian-assange-4045447

Not a headline I ever expected to see.

Super Sammy!
08-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Hmm, the whole 'no internet at home' thing is making me feel a bit cut off from the world... :noey: uni internet is never the same, I don't have enough time to do anything! :(

Davinq
08-03-2011, 11:21 PM
http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/macaulay-culkin-play-julian-assange-4045447

Not a headline I ever expected to see.

:wtf:
There is no way they'll ever get the Wikileaks 'saga' depicted 'right'.

_Ed_
10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Bit quiet in here! Sorry I haven't been doing my bit - I've done loads of extra shifts at work lately so haven't had much free time. Tomorrow's my sixth work day in a row, then I have Saturday off, then another four days at work after that.

JoBear
10-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Oren and I have a good excuse, we were in New York. :happy:

_Ed_
10-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Hope you're having a great time! I expect full details and photos when you get back.

JoBear
11-03-2011, 12:10 AM
I put some photos on facebook! :awesome:

Ghosty Ghost
11-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Richard, I bought Junior Mints AND Jujyfruits!

_Ed_
11-03-2011, 04:09 AM
:eek:
Were the Junior Mints very refreshing?

_Ed_
11-03-2011, 09:23 AM
8.9 earthquake in northern Japan and enormous tsunami. :( Some of the footage I've seen is absolutely horrific.

Super Sammy!
11-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Thank God that most of the international search and rescue teams have 'finished up' here and can go and help in Japan. Sadly, a lot of them are probably physically and emotionally destroyed from here, so this will perhaps be too much :(

Tsunami warning for here too, I don't think that'll amount to much. Well, I'm hoping like crazy, anyway. Last thing the world needs right now is tsunamis everywhere.

_Ed_
11-03-2011, 09:34 AM
It's scary that the only reports of damage so far are from Tokyo, which is ages away from the worst-affected region. Apparently there are a couple of cities of around 1 million people much closer to it than Tokyo.

Super Sammy!
11-03-2011, 09:38 AM
It hit in northern Japan, but it's probably similar to Lyttleton and Sumner here - although they're the worst hit areas, it's probably very difficult to get to those places to get any kind of reports. Sure, Christchurch got hit bad, but the epicentre is always going to get the most damage... Tokyo is huge, it'd be very easy to get reports from there.

Ghosty Ghost
11-03-2011, 09:39 AM
My brother and his girlfriend live in Sendai, but she's been in touch to say they're ok so far. Another scary morning to wake up to!

_Ed_
11-03-2011, 09:44 AM
A relief to hear they're alright. It sounds like that city is the one there's the most concern about.

Ghosty Ghost
11-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Apparently the tsunami warning has been cleared now for NZ?

_Ed_
11-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I think that's the case, yeah. Apparently Civil Defence still has a marine warning in place, but I'm not quite sure what that means.

Ghosty Ghost
11-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I guess it means if you're on a boat, try to not be on that boat in the next few hours.

JoBear
11-03-2011, 07:57 PM
I think that's the case, yeah. Apparently Civil Defence still has a marine warning in place, but I'm not quite sure what that means.
I remember when we went to Piha and then later realised just how serious that tsunami warning was that day (although at least we were on the opposite coast).

lensip max
12-03-2011, 07:51 PM
That tsunami and quake are just terrible. On Friday night when a family friend first rang us up from Japan and we switched on the telly, it looked like the end of the world.

Fucking scary about the damaged nuclear places, too.

JoBear
12-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Oren's brother only got power back in Sendai earlier today and didn't know how bad it was until they saw the news coverage.

_Ed_
13-03-2011, 08:07 AM
The situation with the nuclear plants is scary.

Earthquakes = a very, very good reason not to look at nuclear power in NZ.

_Ed_
15-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Such a relief to hear my supervisor say today that there's nothing major that needs to be changed in what he's read of my thesis so far. Was so scared of having to do a massive overhaul in fuck-all time.

Ghosty Ghost
15-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Richard, to resume our earlier conversation: Junior mints not refreshing at all. It's more like eating peppermint chocolate. Delicious nonetheless. Jujyfruits somewhat disappointing, just really hard chewy fruit gums, and most of the flavours taste pretty bad.

And I'm glad your thesis is going well. I'm fairly sure you're going to a great job.

_Ed_
15-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks. :) I'm at the point where I need all the encouragement I can get.

Junior mints not refreshing at all. It's more like eating peppermint chocolate. Delicious nonetheless. Jujyfruits somewhat disappointing, just really hard chewy fruit gums, and most of the flavours taste pretty bad.
:eek:
I've been misled. But I'm pleased to hear the junior mints were at least delicious. That's something. It's not all horrendous, filthy lies.

Ghosty Ghost
15-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Let's just say that if I heard Jo was in hospital, I wouldn't stop for Jujyfruits on the way.

_Ed_
15-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Ah, but were they so disappointing that you'd be willing to spit them out in order to give your boss vital information before a highly important meeting?

Ghosty Ghost
15-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Willing, yes. Able, possibly not, as they get all stuck in your teeth and are generally quite hard to deal with.

Michelle
16-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Hey Moas.

Terrible about Japan and quite worrying with all these other smaller earthquakes going on. Really makes you think a about what could happen here especially since Auckland is kind of in the middle of all these events. But must not dwell on it too much.

I went to Rangitoto on the morning after the Japan earthquake and the water was quite calm. Much better than the week before where the boat had been cancelled. Had old fashioned tea and scones there which was very pleasant.

_Ed_
17-03-2011, 12:22 PM
That shows how long it's been since I last went to Rangitoto - I don't remember there being anywhere you could have tea and scones there!

_Ed_
17-03-2011, 01:01 PM
http://pics.kuvaton.com/kuvei/headshot.gif
:chuckle:

lensip max
19-03-2011, 01:52 AM
:chuckle::LOL: epic. That must have hurt, though.

Keep saying I'm going to go to Elam to research my art history stuff today. Haven't done it yet. Probably won't. Liking Auckland Uni so far. Less so the crazy Auckland weather, with its rain and heat and smell (not necessarily a bad smell, but it just... smells different). Philosophy is better than Vic, though. Y'know, imo.

Michelle
21-03-2011, 04:03 AM
That shows how long it's been since I last went to Rangitoto - I don't remember there being anywhere you could have tea and scones there!

Scones and tea were included with the bach tour. They guide you around some of the baches and at the last one which is open for looking in they had a table and chairs setup in the back yard with everything nicely laid out. They had the coolest owl teapot cosy.

Ehehehe :LOL:

Keep saying I'm going to go to Elam to research my art history stuff today. Haven't done it yet. Probably won't. Liking Auckland Uni so far. Less so the crazy Auckland weather, with its rain and heat and smell (not necessarily a bad smell, but it just... smells different). Philosophy is better than Vic, though. Y'know, imo.

Glad you're liking Auckland. The weather here is a funny thing, but just today a girl from England at uni said she prefers our weather to it being overcast for weeks with no sun.

_Ed_
24-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm really disappointed about this Darren Hughes scandal - I've always had high hopes for him as a future Labour prime minister. He's a brilliant speaker and often quite hilarious.

I hope the whole thing turns out to be nothing major. I've heard a rumour it was 'unwanted advances', which could be anything from an innocent misunderstanding to something much more sinister.

Have to say it was impressive of him to speak out and say it was him while he had name suppression, just so his colleagues weren't suspected.

Marinator
25-03-2011, 06:52 AM
I agree. He had the guts to speak out when he didn't need to. Pity he was sacked...

JoBear
25-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Seems so odd that he is a boarder at Annette King's house. Surely he earns enough to rent his own place?

Spy Fox
26-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Wellington is pretty exciting. There's a few media dickheads hanging around our hall since this Darren Hughes thing has come about.

I saw Heather Roy speak in the political science class the other day, it was a bit of a laugh.

MICROCUTZ
26-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Seems so odd that he is a boarder at Annette King's house. Surely he earns enough to rent his own place?

I don't have you on Facebook anymore? :(

_Ed_
28-03-2011, 02:22 AM
The newspaper I work for put someone else's name on one of my articles today. :( And it was one of the few articles I've written that I really liked and was proud of. So you could say I'm a bit peeved.

darkshineskitty
28-03-2011, 02:28 AM
I hope you got that sorted out Richard, because that's not cool.

Why does my stomach always gurgle and grumble in the library? :LOL: I'm sure it doesn't do it half as much as it does when its really quiet.

_Ed_
28-03-2011, 02:32 AM
:chuckle: It's amazing how that happens, isn't it? And you're like, "Fuck, was that as loud as I think it was? Did everyone hear it?" An uncomfortable mix of awkward and embarrassing.

darkshineskitty
28-03-2011, 02:35 AM
:chuckle: It's amazing how that happens, isn't it? And you're like, "Fuck, was that as loud as I think it was? Did everyone hear it?" An uncomfortable mix of awkward and embarrassing.

I'm pretty sure everyone can hear it. I think people in the Sky Tower can hear it :chuckle:

_Ed_
28-03-2011, 02:38 AM
:LOL:
Impressive.

I didn't hear it, but that's probably due to the fucking construction site just outside the window of the Arts lab. Can hardly even hear my iPod over the top of it. :indiff:

darkshineskitty
28-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Impressive.

I didn't hear it, but that's probably due to the fucking construction site just outside the window of the Arts lab. Can hardly even hear my iPod over the top of it. :indiff:

Aha I love that we are conversing from like just a few hundred metres away :LOL:

I just noticed that its March and I still have a Christmas avatar
Edit: Not any more :D

Davinq
28-03-2011, 04:48 AM
The newspaper I work for put someone else's name on one of my articles today. :( And it was one of the few articles I've written that I really liked and was proud of. So you could say I'm a bit peeved.

My newspaper keeps publishing my articles with my mug from four years ago that I do not look like anymore, instead of the one I submitted to them at the beginning of last year and have resubmitted twice since. I feel your peevedness. :(

Michelle
29-03-2011, 04:28 AM

Oh that is unfair. I hope they put a correction for you in the next edition!

*Doesn't want to get back to drawing excell graphs*

_Ed_
29-03-2011, 06:48 AM
That doesn't sound very fun at all. I'm just about to start work on another episode of one of my least favourite TV shows I've ever had to see at work - bloody Undercover Princes.

JoBear
29-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Whose staying up for the cricket? I'm off sick today so I'm watching a dodgy live stream. Kinda don't want them to win solely because we're in Belgium when the final is on.

_Ed_
29-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I pulled an all-nighter for the quarter-final. I'm thinking of doing the same tonight, even though I have a meeting with my MA supervisor at 11am.

I thought of going to bed when SA were 90-2 in the quarter-final - I would have never forgiven myself if I did! So I don't want to go to bed and miss something super amazing.

_Ed_
29-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Kinda don't want them to win solely because we're in Belgium when the final is on.
That's a good reason.

But wouldn't it be amazing if, after years of "FUCK YEAH WE'RE GONNA WIN THE RUGBY WORLD CUP IN 2011!" the cricket team went and won the World Cup first? Especially if the All Blacks later fail.

JoBear
29-03-2011, 12:00 PM
You know that would be immensely satisfying.

_Ed_
29-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I can't believe the lack of support for the cricket team in the NZ media in the last few weeks. No one gave us any chance of beating South Africa.

JoBear
29-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Not that we're looking very good at the moment...

_Ed_
29-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Not at all. I was happy when I got home from work and saw we were only three down, but it's really gone to shit since then.

JoBear
29-03-2011, 03:00 PM
anyone remember the popsicles you got that were colour free and in white wrappers? i remember i used to open them, lick them and if it wasn't the favour i wanted, put it back. :LOL:

i really want an iceblock for my sore throat.

_Ed_
29-03-2011, 03:03 PM
I remember those!

Iceblocks are good for sore throats. :yesey:

JoBear
29-03-2011, 03:08 PM
You're not depressed enough to go to bed? Hoping for a SA type miracle?

JoBear
29-03-2011, 03:08 PM
By the way, we're exactly 12 hour difference right now. We're not GMT anymore, we're BST!

_Ed_
30-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Oops, I went to bed at pretty much the exact time you posted that. Sorry!

We don't stay on the exact 12-hour difference for very long, do we? Cos I think it's this weekend that we change back.

JoBear
30-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Yeah its for one week only. At least the cricket ended slightly exciting. Not a complete walkover a la England.

_Ed_
30-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah. But if we scored 30 more runs...

*sigh*

You back at work today?

JoBear
30-03-2011, 01:38 PM
I am indeed. Boarding on the smartphone when tax calcs get too dull.

_Ed_
31-03-2011, 01:06 AM
:awesome:

Lucky you're not still in New York: http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/deadly-cobra-roaming-free-in-bronx-4092211 :unsure:

JoBear
31-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Oren and I will drink a beer for you in Belgium over the weekend. :awesome:

_Ed_
01-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Hope you have an amazing time there.

_Ed_
03-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Moas, I need your help.

There's a job vacancy that I'm considering applying for. But I can't quite make up my mind. The job is as a presenter on Trackside TV.

Pros:
* It's the field that I really want to work in in the long term.
* It could lead to my absolute dream job.
* I might have a decent chance of getting it - they like recruiting people around my age, and I'm starting to get name recognition through my newspaper articles (at least, the ones that actually have my name on them).

Cons:
* The job is in Hamilton. :erm:
* I would initially be basically presenting only greyhound races, which I'm not interested in at all.
* When I applied for the promotion at my current job, one of the things I mentioned in my application was that I was unlikely to leave the job before mid-2012. If that's one of the reasons they gave me the promotion, I don't want to leave a year earlier than I said I would.
* We're really short-staffed at my current job, so I don't want to make it worse.
* I like the hours at my current job.
* The people at my current job are the best I've ever worked with - I'd consider at least five of them close friends (including my former boss, who I'm still yet to have the opportunity/courage to ask out).

What do you guys think?

lensip max
04-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Well, you've written up a lot of cons there, but the fact that you've mentioned it even so means I think you should apply. And you don't want to get in a rut or anything. If you've got decent work friends you'll be able to keep them.

That being said, the Hamiltonness... yes.

God, I was at uni for almost 15 hours today. Fail.

_Ed_
04-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Cheers for that advice. :)
God, I was at uni for almost 15 hours today. Fail.
Jeepers. That's horrendous. Assignments?

JoBear
04-04-2011, 07:27 PM
If the job hadn't come up then you would reasonably expect to stay to mid 2012 anyway right? Never been to Hamilton so can't comment on that!

lensip max
05-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Jeepers. That's horrendous. Assignments?Paranoia.

Well founded, because I actually got the night of a test wrong - tonight, as opposed to tomorrow. Though I was actually revising something else yesterday. But that left me free today to continue my revision for the-test-which-was-actually-tonight, so it's not all bad. Only a 12 hour day today!

Spy Fox
05-04-2011, 11:14 AM
http://typicalkiwis.tumblr.com/

Some good ones, mixed in with some not so good ones.

_Ed_
06-04-2011, 07:19 AM
I can't believe some people are so upset at the plans to spend $2 million on a waka-shaped pavilion for the World Cup. The total cost of the World Cup is almost $400 million, and this is the only thing they're planning to have to showcase Maori culture during the event. $2 million really doesn't seem like that much, when you compare it to the total cost! I don't have any problem with it.

Although I do worry about the fact that it's plastic. I'd like it to be at least a decent imitation of wood, if not the real thing.

ItalicThunderCat
06-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Seems like sensationalist bull. Id prefer seeing a real Waka but i guess it would be even more expensive. Hello, by the way haha!

_Ed_
06-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Welcome! Yeah, the real thing would be awesome.

JoBear
06-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Seems a bit last minute to me...it's not like the RWC hasn't been years in the planning.

_Ed_
06-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah, that's a fair point. But I think a lot of things are being done now because it's easier to make decisions and get things done in Auckland now than it was before - all the councils used to hold everything up with disagreements over where things should go and how they should be paid for.

That's the sort of thing I've been talking about in my thesis.

I'm not sure whether this is actually an example of that, though.

_Ed_
06-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I have a whole lot to be nervous about just at the moment!

I've decided to put in an application for that job in the Tron, but it turns out I have to film an audition. :unsure: That's gonna be awkward.

And tomorrow I have a scary appointment at uni. My Masters supervisor set up a one-on-one meeting for me with a professor in urban government from the University of Pittsburgh. That's pretty bloody daunting. I really don't think I have the intellectual capacity to have a proper conversation with a professor about his specialisation. I'm expecting to just be nodding and "mm"ing while he talks.

JoBear
06-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Wow that'd be pretty interesting.

I just watched my brother on Fair Go last night. :facepalm:

_Ed_
06-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Haha, why was he on Fair Go?

The meeting went pretty well in the end. As expected, I was mostly just "mm"ing and nodding, but he said drew my attention to some things that will be really useful to add to my thesis. I was worried he might be one of those professors who use such complex language that they're difficult to understand, but he actually explained things really clearly.

He also said he can help get my thesis published in a journal, which is cool. I have to "trim" it to 8000 words for that, though. :unsure:

_Ed_
07-04-2011, 05:19 AM
William Shatner is in the building. :eek:

JoBear
07-04-2011, 07:47 AM
He was talking about how he couldn't understand power bills and standing by the Clyde Dam asking why Cromwell pays so much for power when the dam in right there.

Having to cut it down would be a good task with a good reward if you did get published!

_Ed_
07-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Aww, I thought maybe he'd been busted for ripping people off and got chased around a carpark by a reporter, perhaps putting his hand over a camera lens or two.

JoBear
07-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Nah, he was the person claiming to be ripped off. I don't think electricity bills are that hard to understand and there's a price comparison website to check who gives you the cheapest rate in your area. In typical fashion, Fair Go complained it was too hard to understand then for about 10 seconds mentioned this website. :LOL: Was a bit like when they had an AMI story on, spent ages railing AMI to then say at the end "well it's not actually covered by the policy" ...err. Then what's the point of this?

_Ed_
07-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Fair Go has gone downhill. :noey:

Or maybe it's just because we're more educated so can see its flaws?

JoBear
07-04-2011, 08:26 AM
I have to say that AMI story was the first time I realised just how one sided it all is.

It's a lovely sunny day in London, just waiting for a phone call then going to go to the gym and see a friend.

_Ed_
07-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Awesome. Hope you have a lovely day!

Super Sammy!
08-04-2011, 03:25 AM
I'm taking a 'proper' bus for the first time in years today, I have literally no idea what to do. :LOL:

Should be meeting Angus this weekend though. :awesome:

Spy Fox
08-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Seems like sensationalist bull. Id prefer seeing a real Waka but i guess it would be even more expensive. Hello, by the way haha!
Hello! Are you studying at Vic?
I'm taking a 'proper' bus for the first time in years today, I have literally no idea what to do. :LOL:

Should be meeting Angus this weekend though. :awesome:

Excite!

_Ed_
10-04-2011, 03:57 AM
Rodney Hide named his baby daughter Liberty. Liberty Hide. Seriously.

Spy Fox
10-04-2011, 07:48 AM
http://www.good.is/post/liberal-brains-bigger-in-areas-of-complexity-conservative-brains-bigger-in-areas-of-fear/?utm_source=supr

Science has spoken!

_Ed_
10-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Haha, awesome.

_Ed_
10-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I think my cellphone has died of old age. :(

JoBear
10-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Awwh. I retired mine for a smartphone. Kinda felt bad as it did nothing wrong. I feel a bit the same about my car in storage in NZ, probably sitting there wondering what it did wrong.

_Ed_
11-04-2011, 02:55 AM
I managed to revive it by temporarily removing the battery then putting back in, but it feels rather temporary.

It's randomly changing its setting between silent, vibrate, quiet and the loudest possible setting. :unsure:

_Ed_
11-04-2011, 04:51 AM
My supervisor said today that there's nothing at all that needs changing in the third chapter of my thesis, and that I'm one of the easiest students he's ever had to supervise. Bit stunned by that, to be honest!

But I'm still worried that whoever it is that actually marks my thesis won't share his positive view of it. They'll probably spot some calamitous flaw in my whole argument, and it'll all turn out a bit shit.

Davinq
12-04-2011, 08:15 AM
FINALLY saw the Naked And Famous tonight! Massive thanks to _Ed_ for pointing out that they were opening for Foals and that Foals was changed to an all-ages show.

My mates and I made a sign for them. Alisa in particular got a good laugh out of it.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m293/davinq/206802_1978784790770_1277667442_2375295_8131709_n. jpg

She said something along the lines of "thank you Seattle for the warm welcome... and the sign!" and being three from the front or so I shouted back "Hello from Auckland! Welcome to Seattle!"

They didn't play Serenade, unfortunately, but the sign's still alive, even after Foals, but judging by how well they were received I daresay they'll be coming back to the US in due time. :)

And once again massive thanks to _Ed_ for the notification!

_Ed_
12-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Awesome! :)

_Ed_
13-04-2011, 02:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uToMvq3yw2A

lensip max
13-04-2011, 12:18 PM
With regards to the showcase of Maori culture in the world cup, my tribe have already selled out in the most extraordinary way. Even my lecturer brought it up in conversation and I was all 'It's a sin' (in Maori, so the meaning isn't like... Old Testament God coming down to smite the peoples of Sodom or whatever) and he was all 'Yeah, it totally is.' :facepalm:

As to that pavilion ...I still don't entirely understand the idea of a waka-shaped pavilion, like, an upside-down waka? So all the necessary bits like the tauihu will have to be carved/otherwise modelled the wrong way around, so that viewers see them right-side up?

I think my cellphone has died of old age. :(You have my sympathy. The phone I'd had since I was 14 died on me in August last year. It had photographs in it I'd kept, all that time...

I'm kind of hating the mid-semester break. I never thought I'd dislike a holiday, but I do. I can't wait until I catch a bus south next week for Easter.

_Ed_
13-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Sorry to hear you're not enjoying the break, and about you're cellphone's sad demise. :(

Must admit I had no idea it was mid-semester break until I got to uni on Monday morning and found the place completely deserted! I'm so out of touch.

lensip max
13-04-2011, 12:57 PM
It's just that I'm finding myself bored out of my brain, but too exhausted to properly commit myself to studying, so I feel guilty whenever I'm not at uni, but then I get there and muck around/stare blankly into space/struggle not to fall asleep, and I leave again. I've wandered around the domain for hours now, because whenever I'm not at uni, I put off going home. I'm too broke to text anyone back, so I think everyone might think I'm totally standoffish atm, also.
It did kind of feel like post-grad reassertion day on Monday when I was up there :chuckle:

_Ed_
13-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Haha, yeah, it's safe for us to come out of hiding.

I'm really familiar with that feeling of being at uni and being completely unproductive! That's the way most of my days at uni have been for the last couple of weeks. I usually end up walking the other way - down to the waterfront and around the Viaduct.

People will hopefully understand your texting situation.

lensip max
13-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Oh yeah? I like the way the Auckland wharf, unlike Wellington's, still functions as a proper wharf, but that means I'm more apprehensive about wandering around down there. I go to the ferry terminal when I go stay with my cousin's on Waiheke, and I've visited my mum's posh friends who have an apartment on the viaduct, but other than that I steer clear.

Also, if I were to be living in the CBD, but wanted to go to the beach, which beach could I go to?

darkshineskitty
14-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Sorry to hear you're not enjoying the break, and about you're cellphone's sad demise. :(

Must admit I had no idea it was mid-semester break until I got to uni on Monday morning and found the place completely deserted! I'm so out of touch.

Oh Rich :LOL: I'm at uni all the time during the break because we don't have internet at home. How sad.

Also, if I were to be living in the CBD, but wanted to go to the beach, which beach could I go to?

Hey Lenny! :happy: I didn't know you were in Auckland. At least, I don't think I did... :erm:
Anyway, I'd say Mission Bay. You can get the bus from downtown and its pretty nice. Sandy and there's a park and the fountain and proper icecream places. In summer there's always stuff happening there like people going windsurfing or people with kayaks for hire, so its quite nice for people-watching.

_Ed_
14-04-2011, 03:30 AM
Yeah, I'd agree with that. The North Shore beaches are lovely (Takapuna, etc), but quite a mission to get to from the CBD.

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, OREN! :)
http://www.vertigogaming.net/candles.gif
Hope you have a great day.

darkshineskitty
14-04-2011, 03:41 AM
Its Oren's birthday? Happy Birthday Oren! Hope its an awesome one :happy:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3586/3579970985_e45098acfa.jpg

Because I remember listening to you on that radio show that streamed :happy:

_Ed_
14-04-2011, 05:03 AM
http://mumbrella.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/v_hits_cuntdown.png

lensip max
14-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Happy Birthday Oren!

:chuckle::LOL:

Hey Lenny! :happy: I didn't know you were in Auckland. At least, I don't think I did... :erm:I came up for law, so I've been here now since the last day of Feb :awesome:

Being in papers with people who're 17/18 (you can't cross-credit aegrotat passes, which is how I passed most of my papers at Vic, so I pretty much have to restart my BA) makes me feel infinitely relieved to no longer be a teenager... though I get ID'd at the movies up here, and child tickets on the bus, so I don't think that translates physically very well... whatever. It saves me money.

And thank you both for the beach advice! Even though it's late autumn... I don't care. I grew up in Wellington, damnit. That means that your beaches in winter are what I'm used to in midsummer.

Ghosty Ghost
14-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks dudes :happy:

JoBear
14-04-2011, 10:54 PM
I have to say I'm really disappointed in the way that Moa beer is going. :( It seems that they think that flashy packaging, controversial marketing and image is more important than what they sell. I have no idea what their new beer is about other than they're calling it a breakfast beer.

Feel it's going a bit like Brewdog is going in Scotland. Where do you draw the line of calling yourself a craft beer while in the same breathe you are trying to mass produce and take a large worldwide market share?

_Ed_
15-04-2011, 03:00 AM
Yeah, I definitely think your concerns are valid - and I see you raised them on Facebook as well, which is excellent.

I like that Galbraiths are selling some of their beers in supermarkets now with little more than plain white packaging. Shows they've got their priorities right. :yesey:

darkshineskitty
17-04-2011, 03:03 AM

Took me a while but :LOL:

JoBear
17-04-2011, 09:47 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/4898759/Squeeze-to-be-put-on-students-to-repay-loans

Who voted this government again?

Spy Fox
18-04-2011, 06:02 AM
"What I don't like about it is the message it sends to young people is go out and borrow."

So obviously we either make them borrow more, ask their parents to pay for it completely, or they just can't go to university.

I love how this government blames all the problems their generation caused on our government.

Super Sammy!
18-04-2011, 06:09 AM
My loan is already $8500. Do I care? Not at all. Will I pay it back fast? I shall not. I'll pay the minimum until the day I die :LOL:

Spy Fox
18-04-2011, 06:18 AM
My loan is already $8500. Do I care? Not at all. Will I pay it back fast? I shall not. I'll pay the minimum until the day I die :LOL:
And it looks like the minimum is going to get higher quite soon. :(

_Ed_
19-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Just made an amusing typo at work. Instead of 'shattered his elbow and pelvis', I wrote 'shattered his elvis'. :eek:

Lucky it wasn't going out live, so I was able to fix it.

_Ed_
19-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Nervous about tomorrow - meeting with my supervisor at 12, then someone I've never met before in my life is going to be filming my audition for that Hamilton job. Haven't figured out what I'm going to say in that audition yet either. :erm: I always like to fall back on self-deprecating humour, but that might not be the best option here when I'm trying to impress people.

Plus I'm still not sure I even want that job.

So with all that to worry about, sleep might not be easy to find tonight - especially when you factor in the lingering disappointment after my former boss said at work today that she can't make it to my party next month because she has a friend's wedding that day. I don't think I did a good job of disguising the crushing disappointment in my voice when I said "Aw." Who gets disappointed to hear a friend's friend is getting married?

Then I overcompensated with "FAIR ENOUGH! :D" Oh dear. :facepalm:

JoBear
19-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Get to bed! Its hard to type anything substantial on my smartphone. Work comp os getting upgraded.

_Ed_
19-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Get to bed!
Yes sir! :unsure:

:p

Enjoy your evening!

I'll leave you with this.
http://i.imgur.com/jJWUB.gif
Magnificent, isn't it?

_Ed_
20-04-2011, 06:49 AM
Audition was alright. Made a few mistakes, but might keep those in rather than editing them out - my reactions to those mistakes were probably pretty much the best thing about the whole audition. Stuff like, "really, Richard?"

_Ed_
21-04-2011, 08:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHJ5EzXjVJI
Awesome.

_Ed_
22-04-2011, 02:10 PM
I think I just finished my thesis. :erm: Sipping a celebratory beer.

I hope I didn't leave anyone off the acknowledgements page - thanked my supervisor, the Postgrad adviser and 'family and friends' (which includes you lot, naturally).

_Ed_
22-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Spent the last few minutes playing highly inelegant air guitar.

JoBear
22-04-2011, 03:37 PM
That's really awesome Richard.

Now what?!

_Ed_
22-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Good question.

_Ed_
23-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I spent most of today printing it!

Three copies of 116 pages takes quite a while to print.

JoBear
23-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm really craving Mexican Cafe chicken nachos. Be top of my list of things I do when I go back to New Zealand (although I know the Christchurch one won't probably ever open again).

JoBear
23-04-2011, 11:44 PM
That whole thing about Prince William and now the Queen coming to NZ for the World Cup is so fucking irritating. John Key is like "we need Labour's permission" because of the whole rules about the Royals visiting a Commonwealth so close to elections and being seen to support a party.

BUT...if John Key is then using the possibility of a visit being up to whether or not Labour agree, then it becomes about how Labour said no and wouldn't let the Royal visits and John Key and National are the superior party. Everyday kiwis will go "LABOUR DIDN'T LET THE QUEEN COME." And from the sounds of it, the Queen definitely doesn't have any intention to visit unless he's intending to use Christchurch and Pike River Coal as a guilt trip.

In other news, randomly I get to vote in the referendum for changing the voting system in the UK even though I can't vote in the actual elections. It's a bit ridiculous even if I am a Commonwealth citizen. The scaremongering and general misinformation about AV is hilarious as well as scary. The one that me laugh was saying that under AV Nick Clegg would get back into the government by breaking promises. But he got into the government under FPP and broke all his promises. Also apparently it's okay to say it's only democracy if you have only one vote.

JoBear
23-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Also, this article:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/4920204/Good-Friday-free-for-all-at-Pak-n-Save

Why were people going to the supermarket anyway? People do this every year, especially on the trademe forums. "Is the supermarket open today?" It's not like it's changed in like forever, the shops are always closed ANZAC and Waitangi mornings before 1pm, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day. How hard is that to remember?! Glad I haven't had to experience the panic of the day before or after because the supermarket has been closed here. Although I prefer it in NZ when there are days that shops must close just so people have a chance to be together as much as possible. The wee grocery shop around the corner didn't even close on Christmas Day. :stunned:

_Ed_
24-04-2011, 12:41 AM
You make some excellent points, as usual. :yesey:

I've seen some of the anti-AV propaganda. It's hilarious in an "oh my fucking god" way.

cookie
24-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Hi all, i saw this nz music video the other day and thought it was great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65a58vjJdg
and it's a perfect day outside too :)

JoBear
24-04-2011, 09:51 AM
that's pretty cool, i can identified most of the south island places but not so much the north! i really need to make sure i do that when i come home, i always thought i'd travel around a summer here, lazy my way back in time to spend the NZ summer touring the north island.

_Ed_
24-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I can't believe how bad the new show Make The Politician Work was tonight.

It should have been called "Yay Paula Bennett!" Half an hour of her smiling and empathising with the less fortunate at the Wellington City Mission. And she stretched the Mission's budget to give each person a bit more food and drink than they would usually get. Shame she can't do that with the Social Development Ministry's budget...

And there was no mention of the fact that some of her decisions have adversely impacted the lives of these very people she's having these lovely conversations with.

JoBear
24-04-2011, 11:19 AM
It's about as hypocritical as her cutting the study grants for people on the DPB when that's exactly what she used to get her qualifications.

_Ed_
24-04-2011, 02:02 PM
http://www.gosugamers.net/poker/images/poker/befuddled.jpg
A viewer reacts while watching the new TV1 programme Make The Politician Work.

JoBear
24-04-2011, 03:23 PM
What else are they planning to do on that program?

Edit: Rodney Hide is the Associate Minister for Education - and he holds the portfolio for Special Needs. He becomes a special needs teachers aide for two days.

Michelle
25-04-2011, 12:40 AM
I think I just finished my thesis. :erm: Sipping a celebratory beer.

I hope I didn't leave anyone off the acknowledgements page - thanked my supervisor, the Postgrad adviser and 'family and friends' (which includes you lot, naturally).

Congrats Rich! Proud of ya! :D

Hi all, i saw this nz music video the other day and thought it was great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65a58vjJdg
and it's a perfect day outside too :)

Cool video. I'm looking forward to driving around the top of the north island sometime in the near future...

Boris
25-04-2011, 01:15 AM
I've been living in Melbourne for a year....am I still allowed to post in here once every year and a half?

_Ed_
25-04-2011, 05:48 AM
What else are they planning to do on that program?

Edit: Rodney Hide is the Associate Minister for Education - and he holds the portfolio for Special Needs. He becomes a special needs teachers aide for two days.
From the ads it looks like mostly National people, but also Rodney and a token Labour MP - Trevor Mallard. I think I'll pass on the rest of the series.

Can you believe Don Brash going for the leadership of Act when he's not even a member of the party? That's an impressive display of fucking arrogance.

Congrats Rich! Proud of ya! :D
Thanks! :)

I've been living in Melbourne for a year....am I still allowed to post in here once every year and a half?
Haha, definitely.

_Ed_
26-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Went to have my thesis bound today, and the uni binding place was CLOSED!

It takes them three working days to bind your thesis.

Is it too much to ask for them to be open today, four working days out from the DUE DATE for people finishing their Masters this semester?

I thought I was done stressing.

Ghosty Ghost
26-04-2011, 09:22 AM
3 working days to bind a thesis :LOL:

_Ed_
27-04-2011, 03:25 AM
Finally managed to get the thesis to the binders today. The woman there said they would "try to have it done by Friday, but no gurantees". And she seemed annoyed at me for not getting it to them sooner. Well, I would have given it to you earlier if you had been fucking open.

darkshineskitty
27-04-2011, 04:44 AM
Just kick it retro and paperclip that bad boy up. Problem solved.

_Ed_
27-04-2011, 05:06 AM
Haha, good thinking. But that might be a problem once it gets put in the library.

JoBear
27-04-2011, 10:49 PM
So does Don Brash expect to just take over Epsom? If he doesn't, then essentially Act is dead in the water no?

lensip max
28-04-2011, 12:13 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pike-river-mine-disaster/4935973/Body-seen-in-Pike-River-mine

_Ed_
28-04-2011, 04:43 AM
So does Don Brash expect to just take over Epsom? If he doesn't, then essentially Act is dead in the water no?
He's apparently going to be leader outside Parliament for the rest of this term, then have John Banks run for Epsom in the election. It hurts me to say it, but he'll win that. :( Especially if National 'target the party vote' in that electorate, which is what they said they would do.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pike-river-mine-disaster/4935973/Body-seen-in-Pike-River-mine
Wow.

_Ed_
28-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Unbelievable puns on the news tonight.

The final ACT for Rodney Hide after a Brash move.

After days of playing Hide and seek over the leadership...

To tear the final strips off Rodney's Hide, Don Brash wants to install John Banks in Epsom.
Seriously.

JoBear
28-04-2011, 08:13 AM
I wish they'd have some sort of threshold for the party vote even if an electorate seat is won....in Germany you have to win 3 seats.

_Ed_
28-04-2011, 08:18 AM
That sounds reasonable.

In exchange for that I think they should drop the party vote threshold a little bit. I've always thought 5% is a bit high - I'd like to see it at 3% or so.

JoBear
28-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Seems stupid Act can get was it 1.5% of the party vote and get a list seat then another party just under 5% gets nothing. So I agree.

But I guess if John Key gets his way there will be no MMP in the future anyway.

_Ed_
28-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Very true. :(

MMP isn't without flaws, but it's so much better than FPP. I wrote more than one essay at uni arguing that!

The one other thing I would change about MMP is I'd make candidates choose whether to contest an electorate or be on the list - I've always believed that if someone gets rejected by an electorate, they shouldn't still get in off the list.

But the referendum won't let us say that. It'll be a question like "IS MMP PERFECT?"

JoBear
28-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Seems typical of modern life. Don't bother fixing it, just throw it out and get a new one.

_Ed_
30-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Shit, it's Mother's Day next week.

I've got some thinking to do.

JoBear
30-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Shit, it's Mother's Day next week.

I've got some thinking to do.
My Mum told me that when I was talking to her on the phone yesterday. I've got a good excuse though, "Well, it doesn't count as it's not Mother's Day in England."

_Ed_
30-04-2011, 11:14 AM
That's a sensational excuse. :yesey:

My party's exactly two weeks away today. The attendance is currently looking at falling a little bit short of my original estimate of 40. :LOL: The photo I put on the Facebook invite must have scared a few people off.

JoBear
30-04-2011, 11:16 AM
I wish I could come!

_Ed_
30-04-2011, 11:17 AM
That would have been awesome. But your excuse for that is pretty decent as well!

JoBear
30-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Not quite at the level of "IT'S NOT YOUR BIRTHDAY IN ENGLAND" :LOL:

_Ed_
30-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Haha, valid point.

In other news, what's going on here?
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227276_516825762503_263200042_544205_4239329_n.jpg

JoBear
30-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Haha unfortunate. I love how miserable that child was the whole time. This is why you don't have small children in bridal parties.

_Ed_
30-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah, poor thing.

Of course, one of the main stories here is that John Key saw Elton John and was too nervous to say hello. "Aww, bless him. He's just like us." Except he fucking isn't.

JoBear
30-04-2011, 11:37 AM
I couldn't believe the story where he was on about one of the royal corgis licking his hand. This is news?

_Ed_
30-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Apparently. Cock.

JoBear
30-04-2011, 11:58 AM
I hope Don Brash can run Act into the ground like he pretty much did to National.

_Ed_
30-04-2011, 12:02 PM
That would be ideal. The thought of Brash, Banks and Douglas having some influence on government is unbelievably ghastly.

Bit of a waste of time Hone Harawira announcing a by-election in his electorate today so he can stand for his new party. The general election's not that far away!

JoBear
30-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Sam Scott tweeted that only Michael Laws had to join Act and they would have all the wankers in one place.

JoBear
30-04-2011, 12:31 PM
I must admit I did kinda feel sorry for Rodney Hide, Don Brash seemed to just come out of nowhere!

_Ed_
30-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Sam Scott tweeted that only Michael Laws had to join Act and they would have all the wankers in one place.

I must admit I did kinda feel sorry for Rodney Hide, Don Brash seemed to just come out of nowhere!
Yeah, exactly. I hated how he announced his bid for the leadership before he'd even joined the fucking party. What a knob. And then, in 24 hours, the MPs went from "supporting Rodney Hide 100%" to voting for Brash!

And then the news did like an obituary for his political career, and it was really just all his embarrassing stuff - dropping his dance partner, tripping over and crashing into the wall while stepping up to make his first speech after being picked as party leader, etc. :LOL: Poor Rodney.

JoBear
30-04-2011, 12:45 PM
:LOL: I wanna see that.

_Ed_
30-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Having trouble finding an online clip of it at the moment sadly. :( I'll keep trying.

This is supposedly that news story, but I can't get it to work: http://tvnz.co.nz/content/4146724

JoBear
30-04-2011, 01:08 PM
I could only get it to work in flash in very poor quality...but oh man, that yellow jacket.

_Ed_
30-04-2011, 01:12 PM
It's a memorable jacket.

_Ed_
30-04-2011, 01:17 PM
But at least Don Brash has something in common with some of his new colleagues...

http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1233108507/712/253712.jpg
http://thestandard.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/boscawen-lamington.jpg

darkshineskitty
01-05-2011, 04:14 AM
I don't particularly care for Rodney Hide, but if Don Brash tries to bring back interest on student loans, I'mma protest in the streets.

Super Sammy!
01-05-2011, 04:21 AM
I don't particularly care for Rodney Hide, but if Don Brash tries to bring back interest on student loans, I'mma protest in the streets.

As previously stated, I'll only ever pay the minimum needed, and if that barely covers my interest, then so it shall be :LOL:

darkshineskitty
01-05-2011, 04:35 AM
As previously stated, I'll only ever pay the minimum needed, and if that barely covers my interest, then so it shall be :LOL:

I'll just never get a job. Tax THAT, Inland Revenue!

Super Sammy!
01-05-2011, 04:58 AM

Or live on $19000 for the rest of your life :awesome:

JoBear
01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
If you go overseas, it doesn't matter if you don't have income, they'll make you pay it back. Guarantee that National take away the repayment holiday this year.

Student loan repayment ain't a tax either. :p

_Ed_
01-05-2011, 11:12 AM
More hypocrisy in this week's Make The Politician Work. Rodney Hide recognising the importance of special needs schools and teachers. But are his party in favour of giving them funding?

I also laughed at the obvious last-minute changes - the slightly different-sounding voiceover saying "former ACT party leader". :LOL:

JoBear
01-05-2011, 11:17 AM
What does Richard Prebble do these days?

_Ed_
01-05-2011, 11:19 AM
That's a good question actually. He seems to have vanished.

I only found out a little while ago that his niece was in Outrageous Fortune.

JoBear
01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
His wiki says something about doing political commentary.

I just worked out that on my income in NZ I would have student loan deductions of $4500...I think I paid $1200 on it last year. The exchange rate is a bitch at the moment. I want to keep the money in the UK!

_Ed_
01-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I would have thought an important part of being a political commentator is having an audience...

I hadn't considered the exchange rate issue. That sucks immensely.

JoBear
01-05-2011, 11:31 AM
That's why I thought you might have heard something about him if he was writing in a paper or on TV. Maybe he's off writing a sequel to "I've been thinking"?

_Ed_
01-05-2011, 11:33 AM
What title could you possibly give a sequel to "I've Been Thinking"?

"I'm Done Thinking"? "Look Where Thinking Got Me"?

_Ed_
01-05-2011, 11:55 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JtTfGekhAhY/R0VBefSIrvI/AAAAAAAABAY/pilb_C66oec/s200/richard_prebble160.jpg

Ghosty Ghost
01-05-2011, 08:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te_ljv-WBuM

His greatest contribution to New Zealand history.

darkshineskitty
02-05-2011, 03:35 AM
If you go overseas, it doesn't matter if you don't have income, they'll make you pay it back. Guarantee that National take away the repayment holiday this year.

Student loan repayment ain't a tax either. :p

:chuckle: Yeah okay, but Inland Revenue are the people who send me my bill, potato potato.

_Ed_
02-05-2011, 04:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te_ljv-WBuM

His greatest contribution to New Zealand history.
:yesey:

darkshineskitty
02-05-2011, 04:10 AM
You guys hear President Obama's announcement today?

_Ed_
02-05-2011, 04:14 AM
Yep, and it was a really good speech actually.

I think Pakistan has a bit of explaining to do about Osama being in a mansion just outside the capital.

darkshineskitty
02-05-2011, 04:19 AM
Yep, and it was a really good speech actually.

I think Pakistan has a bit of explaining to do about Osama being in a mansion just outside the capital.

I haven't heard the speech yet but I might have a bit of a listen later, or catch it on the news.

Well I guess the US spent all that time looking for him in caves- hiding in plain sight maybe?

_Ed_
02-05-2011, 04:22 AM
Yeah, that's probably true.

But Pakistan were supposedly helping the US look for him for all this time - I'm just wondering how/if they didn't know he was living in a mansion just outside Islamabad.

darkshineskitty
02-05-2011, 04:25 AM
Yeah, that's probably true.

But Pakistan were supposedly helping the US look for him for all this time - I'm just wondering how/if they didn't know he was living in a mansion just outside Islamabad.

Yeah good question. Probably just fell through the cracks I guess.

_Ed_
02-05-2011, 07:11 AM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkjsa0vvlq1qzu2tdo1_400.gif

Michelle
02-05-2011, 10:56 AM

That was one of my first thoughts, but from Obama's speech it seemed like they aren't too pee'd off with Pakistan.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkjsa0vvlq1qzu2tdo1_400.gif

JoBear
02-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Epic are releasing a beer called Hop Zombie Double IPA. I want it. :supersad:

_Ed_
02-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Could try send you some for your birthday.

JoBear
02-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Oren's mum sent us a bunch of chocolate. Either NZ Post or Royall Mail killed the lindt bunny. :(

_Ed_
02-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Murderers!

_Ed_
03-05-2011, 03:51 AM
Apparently they've closed the Harbour Bridge because there's a tornado heading this way. :erm:

Michelle
03-05-2011, 04:21 AM
Yeah, latest I heard was that it was heading towards Mt Roskill. Damn it for not going to uni today, I want to see/hear a tornado!

Sad about the death it caused though it that's true :(

_Ed_
03-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Some of the photos of the destruction are incredible. Sad that one person died, but have to say we're lucky that we didn't have more deaths.

JoBear
03-05-2011, 08:59 PM
I found out today that you can make free international bank transfers from the UK and Australia to Inland Revenue for your student loan. I'm actually going to pay more back on my student loan because of this! Well done government, you've done something right.

_Ed_
04-05-2011, 02:39 AM
Yeah that's really sensible. Good to hear.

_Ed_
04-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Hone Harawira and Don Brash having a live debate on Close Up = :facepalm:

This is not going anywhere!

_Ed_
04-05-2011, 11:48 AM
May the 4th be with you!

Goodness me that was lame.

JoBear
04-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Everyone's been getting that one in on facebook and twitter.

Spy Fox
05-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Hone Harawira and Don Brash having a live debate on Close Up = :facepalm:

This is not going anywhere!
That was hilarious.

I think Don Brash ended up looking like the bigger dick in this case. If Hone never said things like "Don't make this about me being Maori", he'd probably be a good MP.

_Ed_
05-05-2011, 02:22 PM
This made me laugh.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/audio.cfm?c_id=4&gal_cid=4&gallery_id=118352

JoBear
05-05-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm going to go vote on the electoral system in the UK today. AV anyone? I'll then get to do the same for NZ in November.

_Ed_
06-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Yay AV! I don't think it's got a great chance of winning today, though. :(

In other news...
http://static.funnyjunk.com/thumbnails/comments/15/db/15db95d51b5f7e440ca98cb0dcba0f40.gif

JoBear
06-05-2011, 06:13 PM
You know what really annoys me? John Key taking the DPS to Hawaii. The sort of people making "threats" to his safety are pissed off New Zealanders who aren't going to have the money to travel to Hawaii to harm the guy.

Also the comments on the stuff article made me laugh and then want to cry at the same time. I don't get the John Key love and the Helen Clark hate.

_Ed_
07-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Yeah, it's absolutely ridiculous that he took them with him to Hawaii. And he says it's not his decision. :LOL:

Well done to Labour for publishing Helen Clark's letters asking not to have DPS protection on her overseas trips.

JoBear
07-05-2011, 10:44 AM
The article with the terrible comments :facepalm:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/4968881/Clark-turned-down-diplomatic-protection-emails-show

They really have managed to turn everyone against Helen Clark despite the fact it was Labour who gave them all their working for families which in some cases makes people in fact tax negative.

_Ed_
07-05-2011, 11:13 AM
It's amazing, really. I was so sure people had just got tired of Clark and would start to warm to her again as time passed, but it hasn't started happening yet. :(

darkshineskitty
08-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Well, I finally found something that might help me get into an ideal career path after I graduate. Its a publishing course run by Whitireia New Zealand, which is like a polytech. Its a diploma in publishing, and includes all sorts of fancy hands-on experience, plus the opportunity for an internship at the end. The only problem is that its in Wellington.

_Ed_
08-05-2011, 07:01 AM
That sounds like an awesome opportunity! It's a shame you'd have to move, but it sounds like it would be worth it.

darkshineskitty
08-05-2011, 07:02 AM
That sounds like an awesome opportunity! It's a shame you'd have to move, but it sounds like it would be worth it.

I dunno- I think I'd really hate it in Wellington, to be honest.

Spy Fox
08-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I dunno- I think I'd really hate it in Wellington, to be honest.

:(

What is it that you don't like about Wellington? I've really enjoyed the few months I've been here so far.

JoBear
08-05-2011, 05:14 PM
I love Wellington but I found it was quite expensive to live in the central city compared to Christchurch. Only thing that put me off living there. I'd seriously consider it whenever I come back.

darkshineskitty
09-05-2011, 01:56 AM
:(

What is it that you don't like about Wellington? I've really enjoyed the few months I've been here so far.

Not so much Wellington itself- I'd just hate to be away from family and friends for a whole year. I'd get really lonely and probably become even more addicted to the internet than I already am, aha. Yeah, I'd hate the idea of missing out on all the developments with my friends and stuff.

Edit: I sent an enraged letter to Craccum today because some dick's car alarm kept going off on Princes Street. If it gets printed, you'll know that's from me :LOL:

JoBear
09-05-2011, 07:51 PM
I remember feeling like that for years, and my first year living away at University in Dunedin I went home regularly, almost every weekend in the first semester. I used to get really homesick as a child wondering what my family was up to without me.

My second year at University my parents moved to the US and I didn't see them for nearly a year and I haven't seen them for a year again now. I'd love to see them and look at flights to Australia constantly but ugh, 22 hours + flying...

I do like when I or they live overseas that my parents are awake in the middle of the night and I can call them when I can't sleep. Can't do that at home, they'd tell me to go back to bed.

JoBear
09-05-2011, 08:22 PM
There has been some random photos on twitter today:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/bucjo/donbrash.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/bucjo/johnkey.jpg

I booked tickets today to a polo match in June. It's the sport's version of twenty20 with 3 a side.

_Ed_
10-05-2011, 01:58 AM
Haha, those photos made me laugh.

Polo? Really?

darkshineskitty
10-05-2011, 02:15 AM
I guess with Skype and stuff now days its easier to keep in touch with everyone, but I still think I'd get very lonely. Anyway probably better to try and get a job after graduation and stuff first anyway- I'd like to do some travelling and stuff before I get set into a real career, and it would be nice to have money if I was going to move to Wellington.

_Ed_
10-05-2011, 02:38 AM
Yeah, sounds like a good plan.

I'm planning to work quite a bit for the rest of this year (whether it's in my current job or the other one I applied for), and hopefully go to the US and UK next May-June. Hope I can save enough for that.

darkshineskitty
10-05-2011, 02:40 AM

I'm planning to work quite a bit for the rest of this year (whether it's in my current job or the other one I applied for), and hopefully go to the US and UK next May-June. Hope I can save enough for that.

Oh that would be awesome! I was thinking about a trip to the UK myself- maybe stay with some Musers.

JoBear
10-05-2011, 09:06 AM

BEER TOUR :awesome:

I think now is the time to do future study. It's tough as a graduate to get a job. I'm starting to wonder if I will ever have a career as such or just continue my cycle of new job, boredom, part time uni study, move countries, repeat. I'm up to starting part time study again.

_Ed_
10-05-2011, 09:09 AM
BEER TOUR :awesome:

And part-time study sounds like a really good idea. Have you had a look at some options?

JoBear
10-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Yeah I'm going to do distance learning at Massey. Thinking certificate of business studies to get some background in accountancy and finance. I can also take a social policy paper as interest and if I like it, I could always change to a Bachelor.

Thought about doing tax study/exams in the UK but it wouldn't be relevant back home and I don't want to stay here forever.

_Ed_
10-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Cool, sounds good. :)

Impressively bad puns in the news story about jandal being removed from the official Scrabble dictionary. "A flip-flop by Scrabble". "Scrabble can't handle the jandal."

Michelle
10-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Why did they have to go and remove jandal? :wtf: