PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Musers Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33

Super Sammy!
15-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Why are you doing a BA and a BSc?

To be honest, I'm not even sure why. I was going to pull out and go to just a BSc, but everyone else is telling me to stay in. :unsure: thing is, I need a major for my BA, and I don't really want to do any of them...

JoBear
15-01-2011, 09:12 AM
That's what I thought when you said about the major. I think you'd be better concentrating on the degree you do want and then looking at doing Honours/Postgrad stuff on that. Take a BA paper or two as interest if you want.

I have a couple friends who have double degrees (BSc or BA's with BComs) and it made very little difference to anything. Think they just wanted an extra year at Otago.

Super Sammy!
15-01-2011, 09:18 AM
That's what I thought when you said about the major. I think you'd be better concentrating on the degree you do want and then looking at doing Honours/Postgrad stuff on that. Take a BA paper or two as interest if you want.

I have a couple friends who have double degrees (BSc or BA's with BComs) and it made very little difference to anything. Think they just wanted an extra year at Otago.

The only thing that I could really get out of it is to do geography under a BA and something that leads to a different kind of career under a BSc.
I need to talk to my sister anyway, she's doing geography at uni too so I can see if it's worth doing it under a BA.

JoBear
15-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Oren did Geography under a BA, he might tell you what it's like. I had a friend who did Geography on a BSc, her ambition when she finally finished it was to go on the dole for last semester to stay in Dunedin while everyone else finished their Honours/Double Degrees. :LOL:

Super Sammy!
15-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Oren did Geography under a BA, he might tell you what it's like. I had a friend who did Geography on a BSc, her ambition when she finally finished it was to go on the dole for last semester to stay in Dunedin while everyone else finished their Honours/Double Degrees. :LOL:

Ah, that's cool. All I want to know is if it's any different from a BSc. If not, I might do something like biotechnology...
:LOL: that's a clever idea! She might've even got a fair bit of money out of that too :p

darkshineskitty
15-01-2011, 11:18 AM
There's a helicopter flying in circles near my house atm. It's kinda freaking me out :erm: Googled to see if there was any news about why its doing it, but there seems to be nothing. Its been going for about 20 minutes so far.

JoBear
15-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Whenever things like that happens I check the trademe forums first. One time I was part of a thread that was following a police helicopter as it flew over the inner city suburbs.

Ghosty Ghost
15-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Ah, that's cool. All I want to know is if it's any different from a BSc. If not, I might do something like biotechnology...
:LOL: that's a clever idea! She might've even got a fair bit of money out of that too :p
I don't think it was any different to doing it as BSC, at least not until post grad. Then I think there was a slight difference in what compulsory courses you had, though I'm not really sure as I didn't go that far.

Michelle
16-01-2011, 07:57 PM

It turns out that I did get accepted into my course anyway, despite the fact I didn't even get the pre-requisites, wtf university.

Oh congrats! :D

Did you guys know there's a town in Tasmania called Penguin?

Neither did I.

No, I did not.

"The town rejoices in all things ‘penguin.'"
"3.15 metre (10 foot) high cement and fiberglass penguin erected in 1975 "

Sounds like a good place to go to if I ever get to Tasmania.

There's a helicopter flying in circles near my house atm. It's kinda freaking me out :erm: Googled to see if there was any news about why its doing it, but there seems to be nothing. Its been going for about 20 minutes so far.

Police helicopters flying around my area is too common for me to get worried by them :LOL: But if it was really near my house like you, it would be a tad more concerning.

JoBear
16-01-2011, 09:39 PM
TURKEY MOA!

http://www.teara.govt.nz/files/hero11360.jpg

_Ed_
16-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Is that a lizard about to get stomped?

_Ed_
16-01-2011, 11:49 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/17/3114110.htm :LOL:

Michelle
16-01-2011, 11:56 PM
TURKEY MOA!

http://www.teara.govt.nz/files/hero11360.jpg

Naww, that's cute :happy:

Is that a lizard about to get stomped?

Yeah, kind of looks like a type of skink.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/17/3114110.htm :LOL:

:LOL: They got lucky with that doll.

darkshineskitty
17-01-2011, 02:59 AM
I got a $200 fine for having expired registration at Mission Bay on Sunday :mad: I was parked on a back-street- what kind of parking warden patrols back-streets? *grumble grumble*

Spy Fox
17-01-2011, 03:46 AM
Good comeback in the cricket. Might get a bit of a bat tonight.

Michelle
17-01-2011, 03:55 AM
I got a $200 fine for having expired registration at Mission Bay on Sunday :mad: I was parked on a back-street- what kind of parking warden patrols back-streets? *grumble grumble*

Damn :( They must have been bored to go back around there :erm:

Super Sammy!
17-01-2011, 04:51 AM
I don't think it was any different to doing it as BSC, at least not until post grad. Then I think there was a slight difference in what compulsory courses you had, though I'm not really sure as I didn't go that far.

Ah, I see... Thanks! I couldn't understand the damn booklet they gave me so I couldn't figure out if they were the same or not. I'm not sure if I'll do it under a BA or BSc yet, I'm figuring out what I want my second major as tonight...

Oh congrats! :D

Churr! :awesome:

_Ed_
17-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Good comeback in the cricket. Might get a bit of a bat tonight.
Weather forecast for tomorrow is dodgy. :( Hope it's wrong.

I wonder who this Sharapova stalker is. Apparently it's "a New Zealand television journalist". Any guesses?

Spy Fox
17-01-2011, 06:36 AM
Weather forecast for tomorrow is dodgy. :( Hope it's wrong.

I wonder who this Sharapova stalker is. Apparently it's "a New Zealand television journalist". Any guesses?

If there's a day's play tomorrow it could be a good contest.

I wonder if it will end up like how Bjork's reporter-stalker did.

_Ed_
17-01-2011, 06:38 AM
I just heard that it might be James McOnie. That probably means it's all a joke that's fallen a bit flat and got out of hand.

I guess it kind of shows who's up for a joke and who isn't - he challenged Ana Ivanovic to a bomb competition at a Melbourne swimming pool, and she accepted!

JoBear
17-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Get it done today and send proof. They let most people off that way.

Me Rug I Sty
17-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Won't mean much to you north islanders, but Soundwavez was cancelled :(

Was looking forward to it too.

_Ed_
18-01-2011, 03:27 AM
So pissed off with the Black Caps right now. What are they doing? They could have batted with some intent and set a target, then tried to bowl Pakistan out tomorrow.

But they're playing like a draw, meaning a 1-0 series loss, suits them just fine. Really fucking disappointing.

Me Rug I Sty
18-01-2011, 04:58 AM
It's going to be an interesting day tomorrow... It'd be a really impressive victory, but there is still a sniff of a chance.

_Ed_
18-01-2011, 05:08 AM
They have given themselves a chance now. Their approach was much better in the last hour. Tim Southee played awesomely until he gave Chris Martin the strike halfway through an Umar Gul over. :noey:

The TAB odds suggest tomorrow will be an exciting day:
NZ $3
Pakistan $3.50
Draw $2

Me Rug I Sty
18-01-2011, 06:21 AM
Yeah, he looks to have some potential in the lower order... only time will tell if he can develop a proper all rounder though (getting a little ahead of myself)... Might just be a Kyle Mills type bowler. The TAB has overrated our chances a bit... But good considering we were at $7 at the start of the day!

_Ed_
18-01-2011, 06:26 AM
I think we have a decent chance. Pakistan have never chased 300 to win in the 4th innings in their history, so this target should really test them. And no other team apart from NZ today has scored more than 260 in a single day in this series. The ball is turning a hell of a lot there now as well.

Me Rug I Sty
18-01-2011, 06:40 AM
Yeah, it deteriorated really quickly after the rain, so hopefully Vetorri (and probably Williamson/Guptil) can get some decent turn... Should be riveting stuff.

_Ed_
18-01-2011, 12:13 PM
22.2 degrees and 96% humidity at 2am. Honestly, Auckland. Be reasonable.

JoBear
18-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Here its a bonus to see the blue sky today.

Michelle
18-01-2011, 08:26 PM
22.2 degrees and 96% humidity at 2am. Honestly, Auckland. Be reasonable.

Good thing it's not so bad today, yet anyway. I keep looking at the forecast for Friday of course. It has improved slightly from a dark rainy cloud to a lighter rainy cloud (occasional showers), so here's hoping it improves some more.

_Ed_
19-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Yeah, hope so. I've never been to a wet BDO.

Annoying that The Black Keys have pulled out. I wasn't interested in seeing them, but I'm worried about the impact it'll have on the Green/Essential stage timetable.

Edit: Oh, they've just replaced them with Kora. Cool.

Michelle
19-01-2011, 07:50 PM
I haven't listened to much of The Black Keys but I was interested in seeing them and a guy at uni was really wanting to see them, so poor him.

If it looks like there may be rain I might have to wear all my water proof field gear :LOL:

I just got to uni in my car for the first time :awesome: So glad it's finally all ready for the road :D

JoBear
19-01-2011, 09:18 PM
They are playing punching in a dream on a show on channel four. Not bad.

_Ed_
19-01-2011, 11:53 PM
:awesome:

I notice Andrew WK is on the timetable twice for the BDO - Green Stage, then Lilyworld. :erm: Once is surely enough. More than enough, really.

_Ed_
20-01-2011, 01:39 AM
I just got to uni in my car for the first time :awesome: So glad it's finally all ready for the road :D
That is excellent!

Super Sammy!
20-01-2011, 03:04 AM
Good thing it's not so bad today, yet anyway. I keep looking at the forecast for Friday of course. It has improved slightly from a dark rainy cloud to a lighter rainy cloud (occasional showers), so here's hoping it improves some more.

I remember it was meant to pour down at the BDO last year. All it did was lightly drizzle during Lily Allen, and that was it :p

Oh, they've just replaced them with Kora. Cool.

I thought Kora were quite bad last year, to be honest :erm: it seemed to be 45 minutes of the same song played over and over. They didn't really get the crowd going either...

I notice Andrew WK is on the timetable twice for the BDO - Green Stage, then Lilyworld. :erm: Once is surely enough. More than enough, really.

Where was Lilyworld? I couldn't find it at all :LOL:

_Ed_
20-01-2011, 03:11 AM
I thought Kora were quite bad last year, to be honest :erm: it seemed to be 45 minutes of the same song played over and over. They didn't really get the crowd going either...
That's a shame. I've never actually seen them, but I'd heard they were quite good live.

Where was Lilyworld? I couldn't find it at all :LOL:
It is hard to find! It's on the opposite site of the Boiler Room from the Green/Essential stages - sort of up a bit of a slope, just past a bunch of food stalls. Right next to where they give out the drinking-age armband things.

_Ed_
20-01-2011, 03:12 AM
If anyone's really bored, check this out. It's pretty entertaining.

Go to Google Maps, then go Get Directions, then ask for directions from USA to Japan. Have a read of the directions, then react in whatever way you consider appropriate.

Shwissky
20-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Fuck yes, Tool tomorow! My sister saw them in 2007, she said they were amazing live, very excited to say the least.

Super Sammy!
20-01-2011, 05:44 AM
That's a shame. I've never actually seen them, but I'd heard they were quite good live.

It is hard to find! It's on the opposite site of the Boiler Room from the Green/Essential stages - sort of up a bit of a slope, just past a bunch of food stalls. Right next to where they give out the drinking-age armband things.

They probably aren't too bad, but a) I was in front of the blue stage, not orange and b) I don't like their style of music. Even the crowd in front of the orange stage didn't seem too lively for them. I remember meeting a girl during Kora though :yesey:

I see... I never went up that side, I don't think. For all I know, I could've walked straight past it and not known :LOL: that room next to Silent Disco (that white dome thing) really confused me... I could not figure out the purpose of it :wtf:

_Ed_
20-01-2011, 06:28 AM
I remember meeting a girl during Kora though :yesey:

Well, as long as they're tolerable, that's all that matters. I'll probably start my quest for the barrier for TNAF during their set.

Michelle
20-01-2011, 08:08 AM
I remember it was meant to pour down at the BDO last year. All it did was lightly drizzle during Lily Allen, and that was it :p

True, but I'll at least take a poncho just in case :chuckle:

Still haven't decided whether to go early to beat the long queues and just watch random bands or go a little later and wait though potentially long queues. Saying it like that makes me lean towards going early...

If anyone's really bored, check this out. It's pretty entertaining.

Go to Google Maps, then go Get Directions, then ask for directions from USA to Japan. Have a read of the directions, then react in whatever way you consider appropriate.

I think I saw that in the random picture thread. Can't remember exactly what it was but it was funny.

_Ed_
20-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Fuck yes, Tool tomorow! My sister saw them in 2007, she said they were amazing live, very excited to say the least.
Awesome! :)

I'm not really a Tool fan. But I might see a bit of their set. I'm definitely gonna see Rammstein. :chuckle:

_Ed_
20-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Anyone know much about Jim Jones Revue? Sounded interesting from the article about them in the paper this morning. Might check them out.

So, BDO-goers, how's your day looking?

Mine:
12:30-1:10 - The Greenhornes
1:10-1:55 - possibly Jim Jones Revue
1:55-2:45 - :erm:
2:45-3:30 - CSS
3:30-4:05 - Kody and Bic
4:20-5:10 - Wolfmother
5:10-7:10 - quest for the barrier
7:10-8:00 - TNAF :awesome:
8:00-9:00 - Rammstein
9:00-9:45 - Primal Scream
9:45-10:30 - The Phoenix Foundation
10:30 - Grinderman/MIA/home (have to be up for a 9am flight to Wellington on Saturday, so I have to say I'm leaning towards the latter. Might try to see some of one or both of those acts, though)

Michelle
20-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Hmm, think mine might go like this:

11.00 Harry the Bastard just from the name, if I dont't like them maybe I'll move to Knives At Noon
12.30 The Greenhornes from Richard's recommendation
2.45/3.00 Just noticed the clash between CSS and Grayson Gilmour yesterday, so I'll try get a bit of both
4.00 Surf City- see if their performance has improved since seeing them support Interpol
4.20 Wolfmother
6.30 Bloody Beetroots just because they sound weird or might just go get a good spot for following
7.10 TNAF
8.00 Maybe some Rammstein
8.30 LCD Soundsystem
9.15/9.30 get a good spot at the Green stage
9.45 The Phoenix Foundation
10.30 Grinderman :D

_Ed_
21-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Well, my sequence of BDOs without a rainy one had to end some time. It ended pretty spectacularly today!

But it was awesome. My three highlights:

1. The Naked and Famous - not surprising. I'm quite predictable. But they were awesome in what was probably their biggest gig to date in terms of crowd size. They sounded fantastic. The setlist was better than I expected. And they've improved so much in their interaction with the audience.

2. Jim Jones Revue - it took about 10 seconds of the first song for my face to resemble :awesome:. Amazing, energetic stage presence, and a simply awesome sound. Very 1950s rock 'n' roll. Impossible not to dance to it, really.

3. Rammstein - :LOL:. I went for a closer look after you went to LCD Soundsystem, Michelle. They were hilariously awesome. Loads of fireworks, lasers and stuff. At one point, the bassist and guitarist had flamethrowers in their mouths. :LOL: Du Hast had probably the biggest mosh pit I've ever seen - basically the whole field was jumping!

But I also really enjoyed Wolfmother, CSS, The Phoenix Foundation and The Greenhornes. It was almost a perfect BDO, apart from the rain.

cookie
21-01-2011, 07:48 PM
sounds awesome :awesome:

JoBear
21-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Did you see Grayson Michelle?

Shwissky
21-01-2011, 10:28 PM
I can not believe what i witnessed for Rammstein. I cant believe they put their keyboardist in a pot and cooked him!
Did anyone see Iggy pop? Dont think i will ever see another 63 yearold dance round the stage like that, and getting 20 people up on stage with him was very win.

Michelle
22-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Did you see Grayson Michelle?

I certainly did. There weren't many people standing at the barrier, mostly sitting as I did too. I enjoyed his set, very relaxing.

Jim Jones Revue was my favourite out of the bands I hadn't heard of before. Very rock'n roll with lots of energy. Wolfmother were rockin' it too.

TNAF were awesome, bless her for singing "rain, rain, go away, come back another day." It didn't work though :chuckle:

I was too cold to stay for much of Rammstein, needed some hot food then went to the boiler room. LCD Soundsystem were good but they were playing all new songs which I'm not so familiar with.

Primal Scream before The Pheonix Foundation weren't bad, might look more into their stuff. Couldn't see TPF from my spot at the green stage but they sounded great, loved Buffaflo.

I had three short girls in front of me so I had a great view for Grinderman. Nick Cave is an awesome performer, moving all over the stage and giving us lots of eye contact. He made me smile and laugh heaps from some of his moves :happy: He came down to the crowd in the pouring rain, unfortunately not my side.

But yeah, overall a great day despite the rain, totally worth it :D

JoBear
22-01-2011, 09:37 AM
I like how shy Grayson comes across on stage, especially when he's with So So Modern and they're very energetic. I keep meaning to buy his new album off bandcamp, I listened to it at work the other day and it was really good.

JoBear
22-01-2011, 12:48 PM
David Farrier interviewing The National is just cringeworthy. :facepalm: I thought he was trying to be a serious journalist now?

_Ed_
23-01-2011, 07:20 AM
Proof of the flamethrower bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N59TQdiB6H4

Watch from about 2:20 on. :awesome:

Michelle
23-01-2011, 08:10 PM
I like how shy Grayson comes across on stage, especially when he's with So So Modern and they're very energetic. I keep meaning to buy his new album off bandcamp, I listened to it at work the other day and it was really good.

Yeah he was all shy and cute :happy: I must look into getting his albums.

Proof of the flamethrower bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N59TQdiB6H4

Watch from about 2:20 on. :awesome:

Ugh, internet is to slow to watch it. I will check it out later.

JoBear
23-01-2011, 09:52 PM
awwh i just called westpac as they sent out a debitplus card months ago that i didn't want (have to resist these things or we'll lose the far superior eftpos forever) and the kiwi accents made me feel homesick.

kinopus
24-01-2011, 09:14 AM
evening all :) hows everyone been? :)

_Ed_
24-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Hey Nick! I'm not bad thanks. Yourself?

Did you go to BDO?

kinopus
24-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Sure did, was a great day. Rammstein were amazing as expected. Tool wasn't as good as I've seen them before. Went and saw birds of Tokyo who put on a really good show, glad he can hit the high notes as well as he does on the album. shihad were great as ever :)

Too much fun getting drenched in the rain.

JoBear
25-01-2011, 05:13 PM
now that martin devlin has outed himself, it proves once again that the trademe forums are the best place to find out whose involved in a case with name suppression.

darkshineskitty
26-01-2011, 12:56 AM
So hot today Moas.

_Ed_
26-01-2011, 03:39 AM
It really is. Bus trip home was so uncomfortable.

Spy Fox
26-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Just spent a week in Dunedin. I think I prefer the cold temperatures to not being able to sleep because of the heat here.

Super Sammy!
26-01-2011, 07:27 AM
So hot today Moas.

I was in an air conditioned office all day. :cool:

Ghosty Ghost
26-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I've lost the concept of hot weather I think.

I performed another stirring rendition of Born to Run at karaoke the other night. Such a fun song.

_Ed_
26-01-2011, 10:42 AM
I performed another stirring rendition of Born to Run at karaoke the other night. Such a fun song.
Good work! I am most pleased to hear this news.

JoBear
26-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Just spent a week in Dunedin. I think I prefer the cold temperatures to not being able to sleep because of the heat here.

The worse winters of my life were in Dunedin.

Neither National or Labour have any good ideas at the moment...we're fucked.

Holstarr
26-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Boo! :D

JoBear
26-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Hey Holly!

I would like to point out that The Veil's new EP Troubles of the Brain is good. Grey Lynn Park is excellent, he gets "pohutukawa tree" in a line of the song.

Super Sammy!
26-01-2011, 11:31 PM
The worse winters of my life were in Dunedin.

I don't like Phil Goff, but I'm not going to be voting National. Looks like a minority party is getting my vote this year! :awesome:

Michelle
26-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Too much fun getting drenched in the rain.

+1 :LOL:

So hot today Moas.

Due to yesterday's weather and the rainy forescast for the weekend, I took advantage of going to the bush for a walk instead of being stuck in a muggy office, like today.

Saw a male tomtit for the first time in the Cascades, haven't seen one since I was on Little Barrier Is. I heard a male hihi too, so I'm glad at least one is still surviving on the west side :D

http://www.wildernesslodge.co.nz/content/images/341/275x200crop/B1A8869.jpg
Male tomtit. My one picture is too blury.

Looks like a minority party is getting my vote this year! :awesome:

I have been thinking along that line too...

_Ed_
27-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Yeah, pretty much. :( But I'm more strongly opposed to National's asset sales than anything Labour has announced, so I'll be going with what I see as the lesser evil.

Boo! :D
Hi! Haven't seen you in yonks. How have you been?

I would like to point out that The Veil's new EP Troubles of the Brain is good. Grey Lynn Park is excellent, he gets "pohutukawa tree" in a line of the song.
That's quite an achievement. I must now hear this EP.

Saw a male tomtit for the first time in the Cascades, haven't seen one since I was on Little Barrier Is. I heard a male hihi too, so I'm glad at least one is still surviving on the west side :D

http://www.wildernesslodge.co.nz/content/images/341/275x200crop/B1A8869.jpg
That's awesome!

Michelle
27-01-2011, 03:17 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/318392502_5070ef0b0b.jpg

I was looking for something much more innocent and highly unrelated, I swear! :LOL:

_Ed_
27-01-2011, 06:16 AM
:LOL:
I hope none of my workmates saw that out of the corner of their eye.

Spy Fox
27-01-2011, 07:44 AM
I don't like Phil Goff, but I'm not going to be voting National. Looks like a minority party is getting my vote this year! :awesome:

I totally am going to go sit in on some of the Political Science lectures this year. Apparently some MPs go in and talk to them seeing it's election year.

_Ed_
27-01-2011, 07:51 AM
I totally am going to go sit in on some of the Political Science lectures this year. Apparently some MPs go in and talk to them seeing it's election year.
Yeah, absolutely. They go and do guest lectures at all the universities, I think. In my first year, which wasn't even an election year, I had Helen Clark, Don Brash, Rodney Hide, John Tamihere (only a week or so before his embarrassing failure to ask a journalist if he was on the record or not) and Nandor Tanczos.

Super Sammy!
27-01-2011, 07:51 AM

I would go and sit in the politics lectures, but I'd just be bored crapless :LOL: the planning bit of geography is about as close as I get to politics, and even then, it's hardly politics...

Spy Fox
27-01-2011, 07:57 AM
I actually considered taking a POLS course, because after reading up on a bit of politics I found it quite interesting, but in the end I decided against it as I was already having trouble getting a final list of courses together :LOL:

I definitely need to get thinking about who to vote for and what not, though. Also, I read on the VUWSA site that there is a Workers' Party group you can join during Clubs Week! :awesome:

Super Sammy!
27-01-2011, 08:01 AM
I actually considered taking a POLS course, because after reading up on a bit of politics I found it quite interesting, but in the end I decided against it as I was already having trouble getting a final list of courses together :LOL:

I definitely need to get thinking about who to vote for and what not, though. Also, I read on the VUWSA site that there is a Workers' Party group you can join during Clubs Week! :awesome:

I've got 6 subjects across my 8 papers for the year from almost entirely unrelated subjects :LOL: the only slightly similar ones are geography and earth science... Then there's psychology, statistics, english and philosophy... Still, my majors are now officially psych and geography :cool:

Spy Fox
27-01-2011, 08:03 AM
I've got 6 subjects across my 8 papers for the year from almost entirely unrelated subjects :LOL: the only slightly similar ones are geography and earth science... Then there's psychology, statistics, english and philosophy... Still, my majors are now officially psych and geography :cool:
It's good you've got it sorted now! :D

I'm doing Two Psych papers, a Stats one (towards the Psych major), two Maths ones, a Philosophy paper, a Film paper and a Music Composition paper :awesome:

Super Sammy!
27-01-2011, 08:05 AM
It's good you've got it sorted now! :D

I'm doing Two Psych papers, a Stats one (towards the Psych major), two Maths ones, a Philosophy paper, a Film paper and a Music Composition paper :awesome:

Took freaking long enough... And Studylink won't hurry up and approve my damn application :phu:

Originally I had two maths papers because maths was my major, but then I pulled out of that because I thought I'd never be able to do it :chuckle: now I only have stats because it's compulsory! :awesome:

Holstarr
27-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi Jo! Hey Rich! and of course all other Moas... yeah I've been good. Gosh it would be impossible for me to read all posts to see how everyones been here lol. Congrats on graduating (over a year ago)... my bad. :P I'm just getting ready for the Kumeu Folk festival weekend. Camping in the rain woot!
Okay so my mind was having trouble trying to work out what Matt and Kate's baby is going to look like... and lmfao there is a poor resemblance to another celebrity... see below... (please be consuming no beverages when you see the second picture for your own safety ofcourse!)

http://i53.tinypic.com/23wpfll.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2n9dlqb.jpg

_Ed_
27-01-2011, 12:55 PM
That was mildly traumatic!

But a highly impressive effort.

Holstarr
27-01-2011, 12:58 PM
That was mildly traumatic!

But a highly impressive effort.

Yep I'm traumatised... that or slightly obsessed with Zachary Levi. :chuckle:
Infact I think even my breakfast yesterday looked like Zachary Levi. O_o

ps you can only imagine what the female version looked like. (some sort of blonde helga from the old country) :D

_Ed_
27-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Haha, how does that work? Did your breakfast have facial hair?

Holstarr
27-01-2011, 01:02 PM
There are certain cereals that resemble facial hair... but I think it was more of a 'Jesus' moment the way my ricies looked in the bowl with the milk popping through in places.

_Ed_
27-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Ah, I see! I'm yet to have such a moment. Maybe if I stop hiding the cereal under a massive layer of sugar I might be able to see it clearly enough to make out shapes. Worth a try.

Anyway, I'd better go to bed now. Hope that second picture doesn't give me nightmares!

Night! :)

_Ed_
28-01-2011, 12:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPpzj4PjNjU :chuckle:

JoBear
28-01-2011, 06:45 PM
i hate youtube videos that give away the subject. had seen that one before so it wasn't so bad. i made sure when i uploaded the acc videos not to give it away "man falls off ladder" is one of the titles of the others.

darkshineskitty
29-01-2011, 02:14 AM
a Film paper

Woo, Film! Which film paper are you taking?

Hi Jo! Hey Rich! and of course all other Moas... yeah I've been good. Gosh it would be impossible for me to read all posts to see how everyones been here lol. Congrats on graduating (over a year ago)... my bad. :P I'm just getting ready for the Kumeu Folk festival weekend. Camping in the rain woot!
Okay so my mind was having trouble trying to work out what Matt and Kate's baby is going to look like... and lmfao there is a poor resemblance to another celebrity... see below... (please be consuming no beverages when you see the second picture for your own safety ofcourse!)

http://i53.tinypic.com/23wpfll.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2n9dlqb.jpg

Omg :LOL::LOL: That is terrifying. You know, there's a site called 'face morph' or something where it combines the features of two people into a new person- maybe that would be more effective :LOL: Gotta use a more recent picture of Bellamy though I reckon- he doesn't look quite like that any more!

Also as a side note; if you've seen my recent posting in the Beautiful Men thread then you'll know that I totally love Zachary Levi. I wish my cereal would look like him too. Everyone here should totally go see Tangled because it is amazing :happy:

Spy Fox
29-01-2011, 02:37 AM
Just film 101 this year, but perhaps more next year if I do well in it.

Michelle
30-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Everyone here should totally go see Tangled because it is amazing :happy:

I saw that on Wednesday! It was great! Laughed so much at the chameleon :chuckle: I also saw The Fighter this week, I liked that too.

Had my first trip to Motutapu Is today. It has a much more mainland feel to it since it is so big and still has farming in practice. But I saw a few bellbirds which was nice :happy: And I got called "bird lady" :LOL:

Ghosty Ghost
30-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Where I live, bird and lady mean the same thing :awesome:

Pointless addition.

Michelle
31-01-2011, 02:30 AM
Yeah, on the series Bottom they use bird a lot with that meaning. But on the Canadian series Trailer Park Boys they use bird for another meaning e.g a male character called Bubbles says "can I get out now? I think there is a leech under my bird." :chuckle:

_Ed_
31-01-2011, 06:55 AM
"Worryingly high levels of intoxication had Napier police on high alert at the Joe Cocker concert on Saturday night."

Young people these days. :noey:

Spy Fox
31-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Young people at Joe Cocker? My aunt was talking about how she heard it was a good gig :chuckle:

Michelle
31-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Young people at Joe Cocker?

That was my first thought too :LOL: I'm sure all the other fans would have been very displeased if they came across that lot.

_Ed_
31-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Oops, sorry guys, I keep forgetting how impossible it is to detect sarcasm over the internet! :$

JoBear
31-01-2011, 11:47 AM
They had to close the bar early at the Chch one.

Michelle
31-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Oh right, so it was just everyone getting boozed up then? :LOL:

Spy Fox
01-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Oops, sorry guys, I keep forgetting how impossible it is to detect sarcasm over the internet! :$

I didn't think you were serious, but it's the internet and I couldn't be sure :chuckle:

_Ed_
01-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Why do I always check the cricket score when I get home from uni? It invariably ruins my day.

Michelle
01-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Aww, poor man. Check out random picture thread then, that always cheers me up :)

Spy Fox
01-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Why do I always check the cricket score when I get home from uni? It invariably ruins my day.

We came back well. Another 10-20 runs and we would've won that.

_Ed_
01-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Yeah, very true. It turned into a far better game than I expected when I got home and saw we were five down for bugger all. And it ended up being a pretty exciting finish. Bennett particularly impressed me with the ball tonight.

Ghosty Ghost
01-02-2011, 10:24 AM
http://bleaknewzealandcelebrities.tumblr.com/

_Ed_
01-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Haha, that's hilarious.

Haven't heard of some of them at all. :erm:

JoBear
02-02-2011, 09:19 PM
i've been watching the demolition of the manchester courts in christchurch on this webcam...it's basically all gone now: http://democam.iopen.co.nz/

JoBear
02-02-2011, 11:00 PM
because i have been feeling nostalgic over this song (and annoying oren with it), you should all too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spf1bvMQAsU

reminds me so much of my childhood.

_Ed_
02-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Haha, that is awesome. Haven't heard that in ages.

I find it weird that John Key is being criticised so much for alleged sexism for naming some celebrities he considers hot. To me, the much more serious thing is that he's doing a weekly radio interview with Tony Veitch, being all matey with him. The same Tony Veitch who pushed his partner down a staircase, right?

JoBear
03-02-2011, 07:02 AM
So that's a weekly thing?

_Ed_
03-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Yeah, that was the first one, but apparently it is. Really not a good look at all.

_Ed_
03-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Argh, 21 degrees and 95% humidity at 2:25am. The horror.

JoBear
03-02-2011, 05:53 PM
it's quite chilly today but the sun was shining and it's getting lighter earlier and darker later.

_Ed_
03-02-2011, 11:38 PM
That's good news!

This, however, is just plain wrong...
http://i52.tinypic.com/zkfqdi.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/1zb9t8m.jpg

Super Sammy!
03-02-2011, 11:42 PM
That's good news!

This, however, is just plain wrong...
http://i52.tinypic.com/zkfqdi.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/1zb9t8m.jpg

...what?!

_Ed_
04-02-2011, 12:53 AM
It's disturbing, isn't it? Sorry, I should have put them in a spoiler tag with a warning.

JoBear
04-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Would've thought that was a cricket uniform...

JoBear
04-02-2011, 11:37 PM
I didn't realise that National actually passed the legislation to limit how long you could get a student loan for. :stunned: Is there any other stuff passed that I should know about? (I know all about the employment stuff...)

I just seems to be that you hear about proposed legislation and think "Well, it's only proposed" then suddenly it's passed by parliament.

I would like to finish my postgrad stuff one day, only got two more papers to do.

Spy Fox
05-02-2011, 02:09 AM
It's a lifetime EFTS limit of 7.0 which can be extended if you're doing postgrad study. I don't think that's that bad.

_Ed_
05-02-2011, 12:27 PM
I just seems to be that you hear about proposed legislation and think "Well, it's only proposed" then suddenly it's passed by parliament.
Yeah, this bothers me as well. I read the main section of the newspaper in full every day, and follow politics pretty closely, and yet I still hardly hear anything about some of these pieces of legislation until they're enacted.

JoBear
05-02-2011, 09:34 PM
:facepalm: Trademe forums have been particularly racist this weekend. As if it being Waitangi Day makes it somehow acceptable. The amount of people claiming that Waitangi Day means nothing to any New Zealanders and declaring "Happy New Zealand Day"

_Ed_
05-02-2011, 10:44 PM
The amount of people claiming that Waitangi Day means nothing to any New Zealanders
:stunned:
Bloody hell.

I've heard that before, but it still jolts me every time.

JoBear
05-02-2011, 10:46 PM
There's a current thread of "Is Auckland a city of immigrants" with the first post of "Is Living in Auckland no longer like living in a city that is representitive of NZ."

One of the replies:

YES we are definitely the minority group here.
I sat on a bench on Queen St last week at lunch time and watching the crowd we played "Spot the Kiwi" anyone European or Maori. Not many.
A friend living on edge of Albany, has had numerous requests to sell her house (she is the ONLY European in that particular part and the rest are now Korean). Imagine if they get their own political party together.

_Ed_
05-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Horrific stuff. But I love the last sentence. Comedy gold. Having them attempt to achieve representation proportional to their population...nightmare!

JoBear
05-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Today has been such a waste of a day. Kinda annoying as I originally had plans to go for lunch with a friend but she cancelled yesterday as she was feeling sick and thought she'd stay in.

About two hours ago she tweeted a photo from a cocktail bar. :(

_Ed_
05-02-2011, 11:11 PM
That really sucks! That'd piss me off mightily.

_Ed_
06-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Video footage of John Key on the catwalk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBmP3-Y6qZ8

Warning: it's even worse than the photos.

marigold
06-02-2011, 10:55 PM
I came to the muse forum to find out info about Matt being a dad-to-be (not much info anywhere) and instead I find a NZ thread with pics of John Key on a catwalk :LOL:

anyway, hi from Wellington! :)

_Ed_
06-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Haha. We focus on only the most important and pressing issues here!

Super Sammy!
06-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Video footage of John Key on the catwalk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBmP3-Y6qZ8

Warning: it's even worse than the photos.

:ohmy:
brb, putting acid on eyes

Super Sammy!
07-02-2011, 08:32 AM
This humidity is beginning to really piss me off. You can escape heat, you can't escape humidity :facepalm:

JoBear
07-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I've got a gif now:

http://www.3news.co.nz/Portals/0-Articles/197051/johnkeystruts.gif

_Ed_
07-02-2011, 10:17 AM
This humidity is beginning to really piss me off. You can escape heat, you can't escape humidity :facepalm:
It's awful, isn't it? I don't mind it too much during the day, but the fact that it doesn't drop below 20 at night is unbearable. Still 23 here right now.

_Ed_
07-02-2011, 10:17 AM
I've got a gif now:

Good lord.

JoBear
07-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Why is he saying "Oh Madge?" by the looks of it?

_Ed_
07-02-2011, 10:24 AM
I was wondering what he was saying as well. It does look a bit like that. Thoroughly inexplicable.

JoBear
07-02-2011, 12:06 PM
United Future leader Peter Dunne today called for Waitangi Day to be renamed New Zealand Day, or for another day to be selected as a national day.

"We have so many wonderful things about this country that we should be celebrating; we have achieved great things as a nation and continue to do so. We need to be proud of all of that and celebrate what it is to be a Kiwi," Mr Dunne said.

Mr Dunne said Waitangi Day had not been about national pride for a long time, and that there had to be more to the national day than protests.

"And it has got to the point where one ill-informed individual with a loud-hailer and intimidating thugs demanding 'koha' in a manner that actually breaches their own tikanga, are turning Waitangi Day into a farce," he said.

"Waitangi Day is important, but it could be so much more. It has been hijacked by the angry few."

Peter Dunne :noey: Why do so many people seem to deny the part that the Treaty of Waitangi has played in New Zealand history? They just want to ignore it because it's difficult. The 6th of February wasn't just some random day picked, it was the day the Treaty was signed. Unbelievable.

Everyone just wants an Australia Day which just to me seems like a big excuse to get wasted. Like kiwis need any more excuses for that.

_Ed_
07-02-2011, 12:19 PM
All very true.

It's not surprising behaviour from Dunne, though. He's been like this since he became best friends with the worm in the TV debate.

JoBear
07-02-2011, 12:29 PM
It's crazy that Peter Dunne has kept both the Minister of Revenue and Associate Minister of Health portfolios since 2005.

_Ed_
07-02-2011, 12:32 PM
And somehow maintained a reputation of being about "common sense" and "values", rather than politics.

JoBear
07-02-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure you have much values if you just go with whatever party will mean you will still retain a portfolio.

I would quite like to go into tax policy.

_Ed_
07-02-2011, 12:35 PM
You've definitely got the credentials! I'm sure you'd be awesome in that.

JoBear
07-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Hopefully when I come back to NZ I can finish my last two papers for my Public Policy postgrad qualification in the intensive 1 week courses they offer.

_Ed_
07-02-2011, 12:38 PM
That sounds really intense! Would you have time to sleep?

_Ed_
07-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Speaking of which, I'm going to try to do that now myself. I don't like my chances!

JoBear
07-02-2011, 01:20 PM
i have managed to put one sock on 15 minutes out of having a shower.

marigold
07-02-2011, 07:52 PM
I've got a gif now:

I saw him on the news last night, saying how he shouldn't have done that :rolleyes:

Disappointing news about the minimum wage rise.

JoBear
07-02-2011, 08:02 PM
to be expected from national though. looking out for big business and rich people.

_Ed_
07-02-2011, 10:52 PM
i have managed to put one sock on 15 minutes out of having a shower.
Impressive.

cookie
08-02-2011, 04:37 AM
How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

_Ed_
08-02-2011, 05:50 AM

Super Sammy!
08-02-2011, 08:21 AM
I've got a gif now:

Oh dear :noey::p

It's awful, isn't it? I don't mind it too much during the day, but the fact that it doesn't drop below 20 at night is unbearable. Still 23 here right now.

We were so lucky today, it was so cold and I was so happy :happy: I didn't care that I was freezing while I was working outside today, I was just so pleased to finally be able to work outside and not melt away! :chuckle:

Spy Fox
08-02-2011, 08:36 AM
It was still hot here. :indiff:

_Ed_
08-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Yeah, here too. It's supposed to go down to 17 tonight, which will be a nice change. Hasn't happened yet though.

Super Sammy!
08-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Our high today was apparently 17 according to TV1 weather :LOL:

Spy Fox
08-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Our pool was 27 :LOL:

lensip max
08-02-2011, 09:17 AM
How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?:LOL: my mum's watching this right now.

How's everyone?

_Ed_
08-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Hello hello!

I'm good thanks. I think a lot of us are tired of the heat though! How are you?

lensip max
08-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Not tired of our non-existent heat? It's been very grey and cool and rainy here. I even got to wear my favourite cardigan jacket thing today.

I'm having to postpone my journey to Auckland until like, the day before semester begins though, because of the dental work I need done in the meantime. Which, coincidentally, is probably going to pwn all my savings. My mum's quite upset, but at least I won't be spending it all on rubbish like clothes and food. (My parental situation is such that neither of them have money to help me pay things. In light of my family's world, it's all quite interestingly Victorian. Or Gossip Girl-esque. So is my life generally though, tragic as that is to acknowledge) I've also got a fancy dental-happy diet to follow the rest of my life.

Super Sammy!
08-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Our pool was 27 :LOL:

Our pool is relatively indoors anyway, so it's usually always warm in there :chuckle:

_Ed_
08-02-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm having to postpone my journey to Auckland until like, the day before semester begins though, because of the dental work I need done in the meantime. Which, coincidentally, is probably going to pwn all my savings. My mum's quite upset, but at least I won't be spending it all on rubbish like clothes and food. (My parental situation is such that neither of them have money to help me pay things. In light of my family's world, it's all quite interestingly Victorian. Or Gossip Girl-esque. So is my life generally though, tragic as that is to acknowledge) I've also got a fancy dental-happy diet to follow the rest of my life.
:(
Sorry to hear that! Sounds like a horrible ordeal. As someone who's had to undergo years of braces and other toothy procedures, as well as perennially terrible gums, you have my full sympathy.

lensip max
09-02-2011, 01:04 AM
^That must be sooo crappy.

Since all this toothage started a month ago, I've been brushing and flossing obsessively :LOL:

_Ed_
09-02-2011, 02:53 AM
Most of my dental ordeals are over now (with the exception of the gums). I hope you'll soon be able to say the same thing!

Well, fuck, this is the last thing us NZ cricket fans need - http://tvnz.co.nz/cricket-black-caps/black-caps-investigating-lewd-incident-plane-4019128

Any guesses on who it might be?

Spy Fox
09-02-2011, 03:01 AM
Coincidentally, I have a dental appointment tomorrow. My first since turning 18, so I get to pay for it. Hooray. I made a point to my mum about boycotting it. She didn't seem to find it as disgusting that I have to pay $60 for a check-up. Seriously. Wut. I know that's not bad compared to what you guys have probably paid in the past, but I mean the whole thing is ridiculously overpriced. :indiff:

:erm: Seems a bit rumoury at the moment.

_Ed_
09-02-2011, 03:02 AM
$60 for just a check-up is ridiculous, there's no doubt about that. Especially when they usually only clean your teeth and give you a lecture. Maybe you get a free toothbrush if you're lucky. Hooray.

Spy Fox
09-02-2011, 03:05 AM
Is it any cheaper once you're officially a student (as I have no ID yet) or do they still care more about money than offering a necessary service to society?

_Ed_
09-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Some of them do offer a discount. Mine was $45 for a while, but then they stopped doing that. :rolleyes:

I've heard two people say it's Tim Southee who's at the centre of this incident. Not sure how reliable that information is.

Spy Fox
09-02-2011, 03:14 AM
I'm looking forward to more of this kind of thing :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be worried if it was Tim Southee. He's probably the youngest going to the world cup anyway isn't he? How do you even get in that kind of situation with someone you've never met (I assume)?

_Ed_
09-02-2011, 03:18 AM
He'd be the second youngest behind Kane Williamson (who has a chest infection, so hasn't gone yet apparently). As for how it happened, that's a good question.

Spy Fox
09-02-2011, 03:18 AM
He must have a way with women :LOL: Or maybe, "Hey, I'm an international cricket player" works well.

_Ed_
09-02-2011, 03:23 AM
Must admit when I first saw the headline it was Ryder's name that popped into my head first.

Spy Fox
09-02-2011, 03:26 AM
That's what I thought too, but then at the end it said that he wasn't suspected. I doubt they need an investigation, really. They were all on the plane. It's probably resolved, but you know the media...

_Ed_
09-02-2011, 03:52 AM
http://tvnz.co.nz/cricket-black-caps/black-cap-tim-southee-cleared-lewd-incident-cricket-ceo-4019128

What an anticlimax.

Spy Fox
09-02-2011, 04:02 AM
I had a feeling it wouldn't be very big anyway. Everything is always blown out of proportion.

JoBear
09-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Coincidentally, I have a dental appointment tomorrow. My first since turning 18, so I get to pay for it. Hooray. I made a point to my mum about boycotting it. She didn't seem to find it as disgusting that I have to pay $60 for a check-up. Seriously. Wut. I know that's not bad compared to what you guys have probably paid in the past, but I mean the whole thing is ridiculously overpriced. :indiff:

:erm: Seems a bit rumoury at the moment.

$60 is about standard for check up although that should include xrays. Its the hygenist that costs more, about $90.

Super Sammy!
09-02-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm very lucky I've still got one dental check-up left in me :chuckle:

lensip max
09-02-2011, 09:25 PM
$60 for just a check-up is ridiculous, there's no doubt about that. Especially when they usually only clean your teeth and give you a lecture. Maybe you get a free toothbrush if you're lucky. Hooray.A free toothbrush you're advised not to use, as you're meant to shell out for oral b heads at $20 a pop anyway, no less.

Coincidentally, I have a dental appointment tomorrow. My first since turning 18, so I get to pay for it. Hooray. I made a point to my mum about boycotting it. She didn't seem to find it as disgusting that I have to pay $60 for a check-up. Seriously. Wut. I know that's not bad compared to what you guys have probably paid in the past, but I mean the whole thing is ridiculously overpriced. :indiff:Especially when your teeth are absolutely fine and they just tell you so. Though that's still better than them freaking out and sending you on to a specialist, I guess. Anyway, have fun.

Some of them do offer a discount. Mine was $45 for a while, but then they stopped doing that. :rolleyes:Damn, I was totally hoping that Auckland Uni would have some kind of a dentist somewhere... Totally spending all of my course-related costs on dental things this year.

JoBear
09-02-2011, 10:57 PM
make sure to get a community service card - some dentists will give you discounts with it. those were the days of $6 to see the doctor. (granted i don't pay a thing to see the doctor here and all my contraceptives are free).

_Ed_
09-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Damn, I was totally hoping that Auckland Uni would have some kind of a dentist somewhere... Totally spending all of my course-related costs on dental things this year.
They do have one on campus that for some reason I never really looked into. It's possible they might offer a better deal than the local one I've always gone to.

Spy Fox
10-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Grand total of $62. No X-ray either, cause I had one last time.

Super Sammy!
10-02-2011, 07:29 AM
make sure to get a community service card - some dentists will give you discounts with it. those were the days of $6 to see the doctor. (granted i don't pay a thing to see the doctor here and all my contraceptives are free).

I got my card in the mail today! :awesome:

_Ed_
10-02-2011, 09:00 AM
This is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. I have tears in my eyes.
http://gapersblock.com/merge/Oprahs-Bees.gif

lensip max
10-02-2011, 09:34 AM
They do have one on campus that for some reason I never really looked into. It's possible they might offer a better deal than the local one I've always gone to.I totally do the same thing in Wellington with my GP, who has been my GP since I was 3. She'll be difficult to see in Auckland though, so I'll register with the uni one. Assuming there's a uni one. I know so very little about Auckland. And I'm having to postpone my travel to the day before semester starts, because of the teeth issues. How grand and organised my life is.

make sure to get a community service card - some dentists will give you discounts with it. those were the days of $6 to see the doctor. (granted i don't pay a thing to see the doctor here and all my contraceptives are free).I remember you mentioning this in the past. Hopefully, I'll get another with the allowance... my old one lapsed. Unless I have to apply for it again myself or something. I should probably look that up...

_Ed_
10-02-2011, 09:58 AM
I totally do the same thing in Wellington with my GP, who has been my GP since I was 3. She'll be difficult to see in Auckland though, so I'll register with the uni one. Assuming there's a uni one. I know so very little about Auckland. And I'm having to postpone my travel to the day before semester starts, because of the teeth issues. How grand and organised my life is.
Yep, there is a uni GP.

If you ever need any Auckland- or Auckland uni-related assistance, let me know! Always happy to help if I can.

JoBear
10-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Think you have to apply every year. Ages since I had one.

Now I am astounded to read today of a law passed in December that no one in prison can vote. I read stuff daily so was this just not considerrd important?!

Super Sammy!
11-02-2011, 06:26 AM
You have to apply for a Community Services Card? :eek: mine just arrived, I never filled out a form :chuckle:

JoBear
11-02-2011, 07:09 AM
You get it automatically with a student allowance.

lensip max
11-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Yep, there is a uni GP.

If you ever need any Auckland- or Auckland uni-related assistance, let me know! Always happy to help if I can.Thank you!

You get it automatically with a student allowance.Awesome, I don't need to apply myself, then.

Man, today was all weird. I think my body's beginning to get a bit freaked by all the painkillers I've been taking in the last month.

JoBear
11-02-2011, 07:02 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/4648916/Valentines-with-John-and-Bing-Bing :facepalm:

I think the worse part is knowing that some many people will go "Awwwh, our PM is a real person. I'm going to vote for him."

_Ed_
13-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Felt sorry for Hone Harawira today when he broke down in that interview. :( He's obviously under a lot of strain with what's going on between him and the other Maori Party MPs, and all the hate mail he apparently receives can't be helping.

I'm a fan of Hone. Don't always agree with everything he says, but I love his commitment to what he believes in and to the voters who put him in Parliament.

Spy Fox
13-02-2011, 11:19 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv/4651960/Outrageous-Fortune-actor-Frank-Whitten-dead

_Ed_
13-02-2011, 11:22 AM
That's sad. :(

lensip max
14-02-2011, 06:19 AM
Felt sorry for Hone Harawira today when he broke down in that interview. :( He's obviously under a lot of strain with what's going on between him and the other Maori Party MPs, and all the hate mail he apparently receives can't be helping.

I'm a fan of Hone. Don't always agree with everything he says, but I love his commitment to what he believes in and to the voters who put him in Parliament.I'm from the camp that views him as something of an uber racist, which kind of casts a pall over whatever other merits he might have. Not that I don't support his stance on the Maori party selling out to National. The year before last when Pita Sharples said all that stuff about Maori students being given free entry to tertiary institutions (I was in the room when he did) he insinuated pretty much the same thing (albeit in a politician-y way, so that it's not like anyone could ever say he did).

But yeah. Hone's a total twat irl.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv/4651960/Outrageous-Fortune-actor-Frank-Whitten-dead

:(:( No more speights ads.

darkshineskitty
15-02-2011, 02:59 AM
Fucking StudyLink. I have to apply for a limited full-time student loan because I only need two papers to graduate, but I don't think I can get course related costs if I do that. Which I need. Maybe I'll just take an additional unnecessary paper so I can get a normal student loan. Or just not read any of the texts :indiff:

I went to Big Gay Out the other day with some friends, and a band there played the worst cover of Uprising... Seriously bad.

And I heard Resistance playing over the weather on Nightline last night- they said it had been chosen by their facebook fans. Nightline is always well keen on Muse for some reason.

Edit: I also hate how when you email studylink questions, they just reply basically cut-and-paste from the FAQs section. If that was helpful I wouldn't be emailing you! Also they have a shit website.

Super Sammy!
15-02-2011, 06:01 AM
Fucking StudyLink. I have to apply for a limited full-time student loan because I only need two papers to graduate, but I don't think I can get course related costs if I do that. Which I need. Maybe I'll just take an additional unnecessary paper so I can get a normal student loan. Or just not read any of the texts :indiff:

Edit: I also hate how when you email studylink questions, they just reply basically cut-and-paste from the FAQs section. If that was helpful I wouldn't be emailing you! Also they have a shit website.

I feel like I'm going to end up in the same situation. I can feel that I'm going to end up chucking on a double major, which would leave me with needing 2/3 more papers :facepalm:

Vodafone did that to me earlier. I said few questions, and I swear, LITERALLY, they must have read three words in my email. The reply was completely irrelevant to what I was asking! :LOL: I even did the customer survey to show my disgust :phu:
Pity, I'd heard Vodafone had amazing customer service :(

Spy Fox
15-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Move in on Sunday! Slowly packing my important things away.

I wanted to add in another maths paper for my first semester so it would easier to swap to a double major or degree next year if I decided to, but the online add/drop courses doesn't have it in the list. Might email them, but I could just wait til I'm there. Would I need to contact studylink about that if I do add it, or is that just if you drop out of a course?

Super Sammy!
15-02-2011, 06:17 AM
Move in on Sunday! Slowly packing my important things away.

I wanted to add in another maths paper for my first semester so it would easier to swap to a double major or degree next year if I decided to, but the online add/drop courses doesn't have it in the list. Might email them, but I could just wait til I'm there. Would I need to contact studylink about that if I do add it, or is that just if you drop out of a course?

I've literally packed nothing :LOL: sure, I'll be coming back home on most weekends, but I still want to have most of my stuff over there in case I do decide to stay on the weekends... Living without internet will be hard :stunned:

I think they only need to know if you change your course entirely, because on the Studylink website, it's only got listed what course I'm in, as opposed to what majors I'm doing... I might add computer science as my second BSc major, and as stupid as this sounds, I didn't take a paper this semester/year because the exam was on my birthday :facepalm:

Spy Fox
15-02-2011, 06:32 AM
For the first time ever, my birthday won't be in the holidays :eek:

I'm quite excited about going to Wellington. :awesome:

Super Sammy!
15-02-2011, 06:34 AM
For the first time ever, my birthday won't be in the holidays :eek:

I'm quite excited about going to Wellington. :awesome:

For the first time ever, mine is. Better yet, it's going to fall in exam season EVERY year I'm at uni. :indiff:

Spy Fox
15-02-2011, 06:38 AM
When are you going down to Wellington?

Super Sammy!
15-02-2011, 06:42 AM
When are you going down to Wellington?

Not entirely sure yet, depends when Vic/Massey breaks are. Not too fussed on going down during them because people will be going home during that time. Probably the weekend of either 19th/20th March or 2nd/3rd April.

Spy Fox
15-02-2011, 06:46 AM
I think Massey starts a week later than Vic, so perhaps our breaks won't fall at exactly the same time. I'll probably be home for most of the breaks, although that might change once I get there.

Super Sammy!
15-02-2011, 06:49 AM
I think Massey starts a week later than Vic, so perhaps our breaks won't fall at exactly the same time. I'll probably be home for most of the breaks, although that might change once I get there.

Nah, we both start on the 28th. However, breaks are probably at different times due to trimesters as opposed to semesters. That April date is probably more convenient but more likely to be in a break...

Spy Fox
15-02-2011, 06:52 AM
My first break is the 18th of April, which is Easter, for two weeks.

Super Sammy!
15-02-2011, 06:57 AM
My first break is the 18th of April, which is Easter, for two weeks.

OH WAIT. Can't go that March date, forgot I was going away up north :chuckle: that's all good, I'm guessing my other Vic friends will have the same break then :p

_Ed_
15-02-2011, 07:11 AM
I can't believe the government is buying 34 new ministerial BMWs, each worth $200,000.

The "old" ones are only three years old!

This from the party that's supposedly all about fiscal responsibility.

_Ed_
15-02-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm marvelling at the intelligence of Justin Bieber fans. I'm reading through a history of the changes made to Esperanza Spalding's wiki page after the Grammy Awards.

My favourites:

"JUSTIN BIEBER DESERVED IT GO DIE IN A HOLE. WHO THE HECK ARE YOU ANYWAY?"

"SHE IS ******* REATARD THAT NO ONE HAS HEARD OF SO B**** PLEASE DIE !"

"On February 13, 2011, Esperanza won the Grammy for Best New Artist, beating deserved winnner, Justin Bieber."

"She stole the Grammy Award for Best New Artist at the 53rd Grammy Awards"

Absolutely genius.

Spy Fox
15-02-2011, 07:48 AM
http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/

Gold.

darkshineskitty
16-02-2011, 01:06 AM
I even did the customer survey to show my disgust :phu:

You tell 'em :LOL:

Better yet, it's going to fall in exam season EVERY year I'm at uni. :indiff:

Join the club! :awesome:

Super Sammy!
16-02-2011, 04:42 AM
You tell 'em :LOL:

Join the club! :awesome:

:awesome:!

June 20th :cool:

lensip max
16-02-2011, 07:24 AM
http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/

Gold.:LOL: win

Fucking StudyLink. I have to apply for a limited full-time student loan because I only need two papers to graduate, but I don't think I can get course related costs if I do that. Which I need. Maybe I'll just take an additional unnecessary paper so I can get a normal student loan. Or just not read any of the texts :indiff:If you're only studying for a semester, you'll have to take four papers to qualify for course-related costs. Three's not enough either. If there's not a similar limited full-time course-related costs thing.

I'm quite excited about going to Wellington. :awesome::awesome: Best city in the country. And MGMT are playing at Vic in March.

Auckland Uni sent me a letter, only to my aunt's house in Auckland (which I gave as a studying address, because I don't actually have anywhere atm). So now she's ringing up tonight to read it aloud. I hope they haven't split second decided not to let me study. I don't know why they would, considering my marks, but the worry's still there.

_Ed_
16-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Purely hypothetically, of course...

How would you go about asking out someone who used to be your boss, but now isn't your boss after your recent promotion, but whose desk in the office is right next to your new boss, who also happens to be the former boss' best friend? Bearing in mind that they work the same hours and the seating arrangement in the office is such that walking into that area leads to your new boss assuming you're making the trip to talk to her about something work-related.

_Ed_
17-02-2011, 03:36 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10706938 :noey:

For someone who supposedly grew up in a low-income family, he has a staggering lack of understanding of what their lives are like.

Spy Fox
17-02-2011, 09:11 AM
While it's obviously not true for the majority of cases, the people who would go into New World when I was working there, buy a budget load of bread and a budget milk (trying to be 'economical') and then ask for a $40-50 pack of tobacco disgust me.

_Ed_
17-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Yeah, absolutely. It's probably an accurate way to describe some cases. But definitely not all - not even the majority.

Ghosty Ghost
17-02-2011, 09:24 AM

How would you go about asking out someone who used to be your boss, but now isn't your boss after your recent promotion, but whose desk in the office is right next to your new boss, who also happens to be the former boss' best friend? Bearing in mind that they work the same hours and the seating arrangement in the office is such that walking into that area leads to your new boss assuming you're making the trip to talk to her about something work-related.
Do it outside of work space/hours?

Cricket fans, am I the only one who is baffled by James Franklin even being in consideration for the WC squad, let alone a cert for the first team?

_Ed_
17-02-2011, 09:30 AM
It is weird, although I found the selection of Jamie How even more baffling. He was averaging a whopping 19.75 in one-day cricket this season for CD - compare that with Rob Nicol's 72.00 (including two centuries).

The fact that How is apparently the back-up wicketkeeper makes it even more bizarre. Apparently he's kept wicket on one occasion in his whole career. Now that's experience.

_Ed_
17-02-2011, 09:43 AM
This is a hilarious video: http://www.salon.com/news/viral_video/index.html?story=/news/feature/2011/02/15/australia_belinda_heggen_innuendo_video

_Ed_
18-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Ha, my friend just said something that made me laugh. "Pin the fail on the John Key." :chuckle:

marigold
18-02-2011, 11:14 AM
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/john-key-named-man-year-magazine-4033169

:facepalm:

_Ed_
18-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Seriously? :facepalm:

Must say I've never heard of the magazine in question.

Spy Fox
18-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Going down to Wellington this afternoon. Move in tomorrow morning.

lensip max
18-02-2011, 11:19 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10706938 :noey:

For someone who supposedly grew up in a low-income family, he has a staggering lack of understanding of what their lives are like.I find this more offensive than I can possibly articulate.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/john-key-named-man-year-magazine-4033169

:facepalm:Ohhh man, I used to actually semi enjoy that magazine! (At work in breaks it's the old M2s/Esquires, or the old Woman's Days. Don't judge).

This in comparison to the beneficiary article also illustrates that awful balance of image he manages to maintain, and which a lot of people are sucked into :facepalm:

Auckland uni sent me all this orientation stuff by post and email this week. Most of which I've already missed. The one bit I kind of semi regret is that I couldn't go to the stuff at the marae, but that probably would have been weird and awkward anyway.

darkshineskitty
19-02-2011, 02:20 AM

Corner them outside of work/on a lunch break. Or email if needs be.

Michelle
21-02-2011, 02:45 AM
I've got a gif now:

Oh man, I've seen this enough times on the news already :facepalm:

Can anyone recommend good websites for making gifs? It may come in handy for some small clips I have of birds fighting and chasing each other.

This is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. I have tears in my eyes.
http://gapersblock.com/merge/Oprahs-Bees.gif

I don't know how many cycles of that I watched the first time I saw it but yes, very lol worthy :LOL:

Ha, my friend just said something that made me laugh. "Pin the fail on the John Key." :chuckle:

That is a good one :LOL:

Can't believe how long it's been since I've posted here, I even became unsubscribed :erm:

Fun things I've been up to: first road trip in my car was to Maungatautari Reserve with lots of cute birdies, went to Hamilton zoo to feed ringtail lemurs and banded my first bellbird on Tiri last week :happy:

Currently in a nervous wait to get confirmation for an extension for my thesis.

_Ed_
21-02-2011, 05:53 AM
Fun things I've been up to: first road trip in my car was to Maungatautari Reserve with lots of cute birdies, went to Hamilton zoo to feed ringtail lemurs and banded my first bellbird on Tiri last week :happy:
Sounds awesome! :awesome:

Good luck with your extension. I hope you get it.

darkshineskitty
22-02-2011, 02:57 AM
Heard about the earthquake in Christchurch today. Things are pretty messed up down there atm. They've had it so rough recently. I heard that things were cancelled (like concerts and that), and domestic flights down there were cancelled. Service providers were telling people to try not to use their phones so the networks would be free for people who need it. Intense.

_Ed_
22-02-2011, 03:37 AM
Shit, I just heard. Apparently the Cathedral's very badly damaged and at least 10 people have died. :(

Thinking of Christchurch moas and all those with friends and family in the area.

Jessicat
22-02-2011, 03:46 AM
Sending my thoughts to all the NZ musers and non musers . <3

_Ed_
22-02-2011, 04:11 AM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/182953_499709996852_99579941852_6454408_8173526_n. jpg

MICROCUTZ
22-02-2011, 05:28 AM
Discuss the quake here please.

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=81598

Very unfortunate event.

lensip max
22-02-2011, 07:45 AM
We don't yet know what's happened to two family members. One wasn't in the CBD - only because he works in Lyttleton - and the other got in touch with us straight after the last big aftershock, but nobody's heard from her, nor been able to find her.

Michelle
22-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Hope you hear from your relative Lenny.

I've been glued to the news broadcast of this all night as I'm sure many of have been too, so sad. Hope all chch moas are ok and that everyone still trapped in buildings get help soon.

Ghosty Ghost
22-02-2011, 09:32 AM
We don't yet know what's happened to two family members. One wasn't in the CBD - only because he works in Lyttleton - and the other got in touch with us straight after the last big aftershock, but nobody's heard from her, nor been able to find her.
Apparently Lyttleton is quite bad :( Hope you can get hold of them.

My family is ok, thankfully.

_Ed_
22-02-2011, 09:34 AM
My family is ok, thankfully.
That's good to hear.

hypermusic
22-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Only heard about it just now but so glad my sister is ok. Pictures of the destruction look pretty awful.

JoBear
22-02-2011, 06:30 PM
It was good my old branch in the city centre was kept closed from the last earthquake. My old head office stood up well although a workmate was trapped in a lift for over an hour.

I hope they rescue all those still trapped in the buildings. The stories about Cashel Mall are awful. I used to spend most of my lunches around there.

lensip max
23-02-2011, 01:24 AM
My family is ok, thankfully.I'm relieved to hear it!

One of them got in touch half an hour ago - by text, but still - and she's okay, which is wonderful.

Still no word of my uncle - who was in Lyttleton, and everything. Can only hope no news is good news.

Spy Fox
23-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Hey guys. I'm moved in now, Wellington is amazing. Finally got my internet sorted after four days.

The whole Christchurch situation is horrible. The few people I know are all fine, but so many people in my hall were affected by this. We had over 200 people sitting in a room watching the tv in silence for 3 or 4 hours.

Super Sammy!
23-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Hey guys. I'm moved in now, Wellington is amazing. Finally got my internet sorted after four days.

Hi Angus :awesome: I went into uni today to go get that sorted, my laptop just will not retain the settings I have though :facepalm: I managed to get on once, and then I tried again and it failed :(

Super Sammy!
23-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Something I can't get over with this earthquake is people are getting arrested for theft and burglary :facepalm: seriously, people are already destroyed enough, why go and make it even more difficult?! Then there's the hackers who are stealing money from people trying to donate. :noey:

You'd think that people would at least have some sympathy for what happened. :(

lensip max
24-02-2011, 06:01 AM
MY FAMILY ARE OFFICIALLY ALL SAFE

I'm so relieved. Though the scope of the tragedy is still overwhelming.

Our marae are all geared out now to take in people coming North (we have a bunch between like, Christchurch and northern Taranaki), at least.

_Ed_
24-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Really glad to hear that. :)

It's been massively intense at work today. We've all had to lift our game in a big way. I was flat out from 3:30-8:30. Incredibly hard work. I absolutely understand, though - it's important that everyone has the chance to be fully informed.

cookie
24-02-2011, 09:18 AM
my family and I are well. was working in town at the time, it was horrible but a lot of brave people did heaps to help and I just feel sick for people with missing or dead family and friends

_Ed_
24-02-2011, 10:12 AM
my family and I are well.
That's great to hear.

Spy Fox
24-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Angus :awesome: I went into uni today to go get that sorted, my laptop just will not retain the settings I have though :facepalm: I managed to get on once, and then I tried again and it failed :(
I can only use Firefox. All other programs that try to access the internet (outlook express, last.fm, etc) don't work because of the password system set up. But I'm trying to get that sorted.

my family and I are well.

Really good to hear.

Officially the worst natural disaster in New Zealand now (or so say the news)

_Ed_
24-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I can believe that - unless you count the flu epidemic in 1918 as a natural disaster.

It's a truly horrendous loss of life, either way.

JoBear
24-02-2011, 06:28 PM
my family and I are well. was working in town at the time, it was horrible but a lot of brave people did heaps to help and I just feel sick for people with missing or dead family and friends
glad to hear you're okay chris.

Michelle
24-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Something I can't get over with this earthquake is people are getting arrested for theft and burglary :facepalm: seriously, people are already destroyed enough, why go and make it even more difficult?! Then there's the hackers who are stealing money from people trying to donate. :noey:

You'd think that people would at least have some sympathy for what happened. :(

Yeah it is so terrible to know there are people capable of doing that in such a horrible situation :(

Glad to hear too!

Relieved to hear you are all well too Chris :) Hope you will feel better soon after all the things that you witnessed.