PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Musers Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Michelle
08-11-2010, 08:24 AM
The branch I worked in in the city is still closed.

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/18/140781618_full.jpg

I for some reason seem to like the cow one too. But I agree with Richard that they probably wouldn't bounce the same. Those are probably safer with four feet :LOL:

My weekend lolz: nearly walked into a tv3 sports presenter (Shaun Summerfield) whilst carrying two ice cream cones at the NZ V8 racing yesterday :LOL::facepalm: Ok, well he clearly saw me to get out of the way before I saw him, but still lol worthy

lensip max
08-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Such a great feeling when you walk out of that last one.

Good luck for the exam!Thanks! It actually went okay (I think...)

Hey, some of us are STILL flaky arts students, thanks very much :phu:You're going to win some amazing literary prize one day.

As such you don't count :p

Booooooreeed. And tired but awake still. Might browse trademe for a bit so I can add things to my watchlist I have no intention of buying because I'm too poor to be able to afford to do so :awesome:

darkshineskitty
08-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Booooooreeed. And tired but awake still. Might browse trademe for a bit so I can add things to my watchlist I have no intention of buying because I'm too poor to be able to afford to do so :awesome:

That's certainly never stopped me! :awesome:

darkshineskitty
08-11-2010, 11:28 AM
The problem with slow internet is that when it finally does recur, I already have a whole list of videos built up that I want to watch, so I end up using a huge amount of bandwidth up within the first couple of days, meaning that I run out again before the month is over. Its a cycle.

JoBear
09-11-2010, 01:24 PM
I will never face slowed down internet again. Its so cheap to use on my smartphone too.

Oren and I booked tickets to Japan. I'M SO EXCITED. Caps was by mistake but easier to just keep going on my phone and turned out to be rather apt usage.

_Ed_
09-11-2010, 01:31 PM
That's awesome! When are you going, and for how long?

Ghosty Ghost
09-11-2010, 04:44 PM
2-10 April, which answers both your questions :happy:

_Ed_
11-11-2010, 01:09 AM
That's awesome. Really exciting.

My local MP made a fool of himself again this week. He read a speech in Parliament that was apparently identical to a speech read by Peter Dunne a year or so ago. :facepalm: Labour MPs got a good laugh out of it at least.

Me Rug I Sty
11-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Qantas' explanation for an engine on one of their planes exploding last week is that they "found oil where oil shouldn't be". Doesn't that just fill you with confidence?Statistically, air travel is the safest form if transport.
Just sayin'

_Ed_
11-11-2010, 11:55 AM
But perhaps they should have found the oil where oil shouldn't be before their engine exploded over Indonesia. Would have been a better outcome for all involved.

JoBear
12-11-2010, 12:27 AM
it's nice to live in a country that isn't obsessed with rugby like new zealand is but i do dislike here that when people realise i'm a kiwi they instantly think i'll want to talk about rugby. or hobbits.

_Ed_
12-11-2010, 02:56 AM
Or rugby-playing hobbits?

_Ed_
12-11-2010, 06:46 AM
I feel a desperate need to see this TV movie called Sharktopus.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/SCSnare/gifs/sharktopus01.gif
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/SCSnare/gifs/sharktopus02.gif
:eek: :LOL: :awesome:
I think all of the above are appropriate responses.

Davinq
13-11-2010, 06:16 AM

It's soooooo bad but sooooo good. :awesome:

_Ed_
13-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Sounds like precisely my cup of tea.

There was an awesome little interview with Thom from The Naked and Famous in the magazine on the plane today. My favourite bit was when he said "I don't know where the desire to write music comes from. It's like gas - you just have to let it out." :LOL: :awesome:

_Ed_
13-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Haha, Christchurch - so climatically random. When I got there last Saturday it was 7 degrees, and it didn't get above 12 all day. I was underdressed, and I was cold. I wasn't going to make the same mistake yesterday.

It was 26. :LOL:

_Ed_
14-11-2010, 08:23 AM
http://www.lamebook.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/pfun1.png
:chuckle:

Spy Fox
14-11-2010, 10:16 AM
I haven't been on here in a while. Hmmm

News: The Phoenix Foundation were awesome. School is finished and I got Dux :awesome: now trying to get ready for exams. Scholarship English on Tuesday morn :supersad:

_Ed_
14-11-2010, 02:02 PM
School is finished and I got Dux :awesome:
Congrats!

Michelle
14-11-2010, 09:34 PM
it's nice to live in a country that isn't obsessed with rugby like new zealand is but i do dislike here that when people realise i'm a kiwi they instantly think i'll want to talk about rugby. or hobbits.

:rolleyes: That would get annoying. I just finished reading The Hobbit yesterday, so at least I know what that's all about now...

Wow, that's something :LOL: I think I'll check some of that out on youtube later.

There was an awesome little interview with Thom from The Naked and Famous in the magazine on the plane today. My favourite bit was when he said "I don't know where the desire to write music comes from. It's like gas - you just have to let it out." :LOL: :awesome:

School is finished and I got Dux :awesome: now trying to get ready for exams. Scholarship English on Tuesday morn :supersad:

Well done! Good luck for exams!

darkshineskitty
15-11-2010, 01:24 AM

News: The Phoenix Foundation were awesome. School is finished and I got Dux :awesome: now trying to get ready for exams. Scholarship English on Tuesday morn :supersad:

Congratulations on the Dux award!

Davinq
15-11-2010, 05:53 AM

:eek: What was the show like? Besides awesome, obviously?

Spy Fox
15-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys:eek: What was the show like? Besides awesome, obviously?

It was so awesome. They're so funny :LOL: I was one of two people wearing a TPF shirt and was full on dancing at the front of the audience. I freaked out when they played a couple of songs and basically sang the whole lot by myself. Really talented bunch. Afterwards Will came and shook my hand for coming, etc :awesome:

JoBear
15-11-2010, 09:49 PM
The Naked and Famous are sold out here tomorrow so I can't go.

Should I buy this necklace for my sister? She likes vintage-y looking stuff.
http://acimg.auctivacommerce.com/imgdata/0/1/8/4/7/2/webimg/2229297.jpg

Tacticalkat
16-11-2010, 04:51 AM
Hello Moas! Long time no see!
Hope everyone is doing well, its been that crazy exam time of year.

The Naked and Famous are sold out here tomorrow so I can't go.

I love it, it's quirky but still pretty.

Michelle
16-11-2010, 05:02 AM

I love that too! Looks like an extinct huia on it. If she likes the vintage stuff as well as birds, then I'm sure she'd love it too.

I want this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_COo1ZgWblAc/TM86ZWbnm7I/AAAAAAAABN8/r8l4Rg1dgzE/s320/P1060821.JPG
I think it would suit me well with liking birds and using cameras on birds for my project. A mate of mine knows the woman who makes all these cool bits of jewellery from scrabble tiles and stuff. http://brighteyedbirdie.blogspot.com/

Hope everyone is doing well, its been that crazy exam time of year.

Hey Kat! All well here, hope you're going well with all your exams! :)

Tacticalkat
16-11-2010, 06:12 AM
I love that too! Looks like an extinct huia on it. If she likes the vintage stuff as well as birds, then I'm sure she'd love it too.

I want this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_COo1ZgWblAc/TM86ZWbnm7I/AAAAAAAABN8/r8l4Rg1dgzE/s320/P1060821.JPG
I think it would suit me well with liking birds and using cameras on birds for my project. A mate of mine knows the woman who makes all these cool bits of jewellery from scrabble tiles and stuff. http://brighteyedbirdie.blogspot.com/

Hey Kat! All well here, hope you're going well with all your exams! :)

That's cute too, but I can't tell is it a picture or a brooch or something?
Exams are all done, got half of the results todayand just waiting for the other one. Graduation in Dec and then just my reg exam to go!

I like the idea of graduating, just not so sold on the whole actual ceremony thing. What did you guys think? Are they fun or just tiresome and boring?

Michelle
16-11-2010, 09:22 PM
That's cute too, but I can't tell is it a picture or a brooch or something?
Exams are all done, got half of the results todayand just waiting for the other one. Graduation in Dec and then just my reg exam to go!

I like the idea of graduating, just not so sold on the whole actual ceremony thing. What did you guys think? Are they fun or just tiresome and boring?

It's a scrable tile with the picture printed on it or something. I'd like to have it as a necklace.

As for graduation, my ceremony was pretty dull but it didn't feel too long. All the events surrounding graduation were fun though, like getting dressed up in the robes, the lunch and photos before the ceremony with fellow students and lecturers, then after the ceremony was a little march down the road (we got balloons :LOL:) to a big tent with drinks and nibbles.

JoBear
16-11-2010, 09:33 PM
The ceremony is good for the 1 minute you're on stage. It's bad for the 179 other minutes you have to sit through.

JoBear
16-11-2010, 10:01 PM
http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/SCCZEN_161110NZHMHIDE3_220x147.JPG

_Ed_
16-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Jeez, that gave me a fright. You should have posted some sort of warning!

Michelle
17-11-2010, 12:44 AM
:LOL:

_Ed_
17-11-2010, 02:17 AM
I heard today he's having a baby (well, not him, but his partner). That's the stuff of nightmares, really, isn't it? RODNEY BABIES! :eek:

Tacticalkat
17-11-2010, 07:42 AM
It's a scrable tile with the picture printed on it or something. I'd like to have it as a necklace.

As for graduation, my ceremony was pretty dull but it didn't feel too long. All the events surrounding graduation were fun though, like getting dressed up in the robes, the lunch and photos before the ceremony with fellow students and lecturers, then after the ceremony was a little march down the road (we got balloons :LOL:) to a big tent with drinks and nibbles.

Yeah I am very much looking forward to dressing up in a silly gown!

The ceremony is good for the 1 minute you're on stage. It's bad for the 179 other minutes you have to sit through.

This is my worry, especially as I used to fall asleep in boring lectures, and I'm not so good at sitting still for long times.

http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/SCCZEN_161110NZHMHIDE3_220x147.JPG

Truly frightening.

lensip max
17-11-2010, 08:01 AM

News: The Phoenix Foundation were awesome. School is finished and I got Dux :awesome: now trying to get ready for exams. Scholarship English on Tuesday morn :supersad:Grats about the Duxness! Good luck for Monday, also.

http://acimg.auctivacommerce.com/imgdata/0/1/8/4/7/2/webimg/2229297.jpgThat's very pretty. Yes you should.

Hope everyone is doing well, its been that crazy exam time of year. Hey Kat! Hope exams have been going well :kiss:

I heard today he's having a baby (well, not him, but his partner). That's the stuff of nightmares, really, isn't it? RODNEY BABIES! :eek:Rodney SEX :vomit:

My job is so awesome right now. That's all I really have to say.

JoBear
17-11-2010, 08:14 AM
The photo was from an article stating he couldn't HIDE his delight. I'm off to a training course better be good for having to brave the tube at peak hour.

_Ed_
17-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Rodney SEX :vomit:
:stunned:

But, hastily changing the subject, it's great to hear you're enjoying your job. :)

_Ed_
17-11-2010, 09:31 AM
So the Crime channel has something on right now called Serial Killer Sunday.

Two things.

a) Sounds...cheerful.
b) It's not Sunday. :erm:

lensip max
17-11-2010, 10:15 AM
^ Had to force my mum to promise not to watch 71 when she's living by herself. She gets so freaked out :facepalm:

New job. I'm going to be SO INSANELY WEALTHY in 2 weeks when I get paid, and the work is actually fun in a bookwormy way :awesome:

Also - just a general Aucklandery query: if I want to start looking for a flat to lease with a mate or two, what time of year should I aim to come up and start doing all of that? Atm I'm angling for the first week of February...

_Ed_
17-11-2010, 10:28 AM
You probably wouldn't want to leave it any later than that. First week in February should be alright, but I think there's a big rush in mid to late Feb.

_Ed_
18-11-2010, 03:41 AM
http://www.economicvoice.com/did-cheryl-cole-fart-on-x-factor/50014134#axzz15bNMG12V

"The most important thing in the news today is not Ireland’s impending economic collapse or the spending cuts, today’s most important news is Cheryl Cole may have farted on live television."

_Ed_
18-11-2010, 04:03 AM
Ooh, drama unfolding just outside the window. They've cordoned off part of Victoria St.

Apparently it's because they think The Palace might collapse. Lucky the brothel they were going to set up in that building hasn't opened yet.

_Ed_
18-11-2010, 04:09 AM
Immaturely chuckled at the article's statement that the building contained "significant cracks".

lensip max
18-11-2010, 08:33 AM

It looks like World Vision have nicked Oxfam's unwrapped gifts idea. Judging by the ad I just saw with Oscar Kightley or whatever his name is in it, anyway.

Tacticalkat
18-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Ooh, drama unfolding just outside the window. They've cordoned off part of Victoria St.

Apparently it's because they think The Palace might collapse. Lucky the brothel they were going to set up in that building hasn't opened yet.

My best mate used to live in that building. It had slanted floors so you felt like you were always tipsy when there. I'm confused though because she had to move out because they said it was a condemned building, and then tried to turn it into a brothel. I thought if it was condemned that's like the end of the line and they would have to tear it down? :stunned:

The photo was from an article stating he couldn't HIDE his delight. I'm off to a training course better be good for having to brave the tube at peak hour.

That is a terrible pun.

^ Had to force my mum to promise not to watch 71 when she's living by herself. She gets so freaked out :facepalm:

New job. I'm going to be SO INSANELY WEALTHY in 2 weeks when I get paid, and the work is actually fun in a bookwormy way :awesome:

Also - just a general Aucklandery query: if I want to start looking for a flat to lease with a mate or two, what time of year should I aim to come up and start doing all of that? Atm I'm angling for the first week of February...

Yay exciting times! I would try and get in as early as you can, as I imagine there will be loads of students also thinking the same!:)

Got my exam results back, A- and A+ so incredibley stoked. Don't think I've ever had an A plus in my life!!!

lensip max
18-11-2010, 10:16 AM
CONGRATS!

I'm on a fixed-term contract over summer, so might have to see if my friends can find a place, and be in Auckland generally, earlier than me.

_Ed_
19-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Walked past The Palace today. It's now a big mound of odd-smelling rubble. Good luck brothelisising that. That's a word - because I said so. :yesey:

_Ed_
19-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Apparently there's been a huge explosion in a mine near Greymouth. They said there are charred trees all around the mine. 36 people missing. Christ.

Spy Fox
20-11-2010, 08:39 AM
The Mine explosion is horrible.

Blackcaps :indiff:

_Ed_
21-11-2010, 02:46 AM
Press conferences are not easy for captioners.

This morning's one went for 45 minutes. My fingers are still sore now!

Super Sammy!
21-11-2010, 04:13 AM
School is finished and I got Dux :awesome:

Wait, you got Dux too? You never told me this! :awesome:

Super Sammy!
21-11-2010, 04:39 AM
Just then I was just looking back at BDO videos from this year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-j-x6S7js&feature=fvw

Man, we're such a good crowd :LOL: that's immense!

_Ed_
21-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Haha, yeah, I remember that song. That was crazy.

Me Rug I Sty
21-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Wait, you got Dux too? You never told me this! :awesome:
I'm not going to be part of the Dux club:(

_Ed_
21-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Hah, Danny Morrison said cunt.

JoBear
21-11-2010, 11:40 PM
It sounds very unlikely that these miners are alive. If the gases are too dangerous to enter then surely the atmosphere where the miners are trapped isn't either? I think the reporting on this has been weird.

JoBear
21-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Also if National get this change through of being asked to provide a medical certificate after one day of sick leave I am going to be fucking mad. All they want to do is erode all the labour rights of every New Zealander.

_Ed_
22-11-2010, 01:27 AM
It sounds very unlikely that these miners are alive. If the gases are too dangerous to enter then surely the atmosphere where the miners are trapped isn't either? I think the reporting on this has been weird.
Yeah, sadly I think you're right. It's weird how both survivors apparently told rescue crews on Friday that three more miners were on their way out. They never came out, and those two survivors have since denied saying that. :erm:

Also if National get this change through of being asked to provide a medical certificate after one day of sick leave I am going to be fucking mad. All they want to do is erode all the labour rights of every New Zealander.
Yup. I guess I have to hand it to John Key - he's somehow been able to keep his reputation in tact. People managed to interpret (often wrongly) everything Helen did as in some way having dire effects on them; whereas John Key has enacted policies that really do infringe on people's rights, and he stays squeaky clean. "Oh, he's such a nice man." :rolleyes:

Super Sammy!
22-11-2010, 08:44 AM

Like I said to dad tonight, I really do think that they're putting false hope in a lot of people. Okay, maybe 2 days ago there was still hope, but it's looking a little unlikely now... Sure, they're not going to say on the news that they're goners, but they're still talking as if they're alive and well down there... All I can hope is if they are gone, that they just went to sleep and peacefully passed.

That's just ridiculous! It's all a bloody money thing to him. What's worse is that next year, he'll probably still remain PM, just because people like him. I'm certainly not voting National.

Me Rug I Sty
22-11-2010, 09:40 AM
As much as I think JK is a bit of a wanker at times, I honestly don't see anything wrong with that proposed law...:wtf::erm:

_Ed_
22-11-2010, 10:08 AM
I think it's terrible and encourages employers to trust their workers as little as possible. It could also be argued that it invades privacy.

And for just one day off - so something as little as a stomach bug. Forcing people to go to the trouble of getting a medical certificate for that is ridiculous, and might encourage people to unwisely struggle through a day at work instead when they are absolutely entitled to a day at home in bed.

Super Sammy!
22-11-2010, 10:13 AM
As much as I think JK is a bit of a wanker at times, I honestly don't see anything wrong with that proposed law...:wtf::erm:

These are examples of things that people regularly need time off for, and things you wouldn't normally need to go and spend $30+ to get a medical certificate for:
- Colds/aggressive hayfever/flu
- Ladies on their monthly
- 'Mental health day' (which is a poor excuse really, but I think we all do it...)

It just makes it a bitch to even consider having day off. And Richard makes a fair point here...

I think it's terrible and encourages employers to trust their workers as little as possible. It could also be argued that it invades privacy.

...that privacy would be invaded too. Your boss would basically know everything about you. They're giving far too much power to bosses these days, with the 90-day trial thing, the medical certificate dramas, and whatever else has been proposed (as I don't really follow it)... Silly government.

lensip max
22-11-2010, 12:19 PM
It sounds very unlikely that these miners are alive. If the gases are too dangerous to enter then surely the atmosphere where the miners are trapped isn't either? I think the reporting on this has been weird.It's been totally skewed by the Chile miracle rescue. Everyone thinks that the Greymouth mine is exactly the same, because it's a mine, and we're New Zealand the wonderland. As if what they're actually mining has no significance whatsoever. It's so awful.

JoBear
22-11-2010, 06:34 PM

Tell me - can you get a doctor's appointment for the same day where you are? It's basically a miracle anywhere. Should parents be punished for having to take a day off to look after their sick child?

It's a waste of everyone's time. If an employer is concerned about the use of sick days, they tell their employee. Not decide to force them get a medical certificate so they can use it against them. It's such backhanded bullshit.

In this country there is no legal entitlement to sick pay. On your fourth day you get statutory sick pay which is from the government and equates to 74 pounds or about $150.

And if you don't think the 90 day trial is bad - case in point as I've mentioned, Burger Fuel got rid of a girl as not being a team player as she complained she wasn't getting her breaks as per law. Yeah nice, even more erosion of labour rights and I know National have legal entitlement to breaks lined up as well.

_Ed_
23-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Tell me - can you get a doctor's appointment for the same day where you are? It's basically a miracle anywhere.
And it's safe to assume that it would be even worse if there were loads of people trying to get medical certificates every day.

Spy Fox
23-11-2010, 06:50 AM
Oh Politics. John Key is going to have to hide if he tries to get students to pay more than they already do.

Super Sammy!
23-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Oh Politics. John Key is going to have to hide if he tries to get students to pay more than they already do.

There was enough anger about the $50 annual fee! :LOL:

JoBear
23-11-2010, 07:59 AM
The price of student fees are a bit irrelevant unless National limits what you can borrow. But I hate the compulsory fees that Victoria put up as a way to get more funds - why should I pay $500 when I don't even live in Wellington and was there for six days of a bloody semester?

Spy Fox
23-11-2010, 08:15 AM
The price of student fees are a bit irrelevant unless National limits what you can borrow. But I hate the compulsory fees that Victoria put up as a way to get more funds - why should I pay $500 when I don't even live in Wellington and was there for six days of a bloody semester?
That's true.

The fact that I had to play two separate $75 Administration Fees, one to the Accommodation Office and one to the Hall of Residence, was pretty annoying. I should probably get my student loan finalised.

JoBear
23-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Also just read both the 90 day trial and cash in your 4th week of annual leave passed today. WHYYYYYYY?! Vulnerable employees are going to be exploited under both.

JoBear
23-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Read both bills. The holidays amendment actually states "without first having reasonable grounds to suspect that the sick leave is not geninue"

Spy Fox
23-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Read both bills. The holidays amendment actually states "without first having reasonable grounds to suspect that the sick leave is not geninue"
That's going a little bit far isn't it?

_Ed_
23-11-2010, 09:46 AM
And now apparently a vote for MMP in the referendum means a vote for a review in the MMP system! Particularly the 5% threshold, for some reason. Apparently Bill and/or Ben should be in Parliament.

What if you're happy with MMP as it is?

Sure, MMP needs some improvements - I think candidates should choose between the list and standing for an electorate, which I understand is not something this review will look at - but it's a hell of a lot better than the other systems. It would be nice if we could say so in the referendum.

JoBear
23-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Basically don't do anything in your first 90 days or dare to have a sick day at any point. Then your employer may "suggest" you cash in your fourth week to get payrise and make you work Christmas and force you to take an alternative holiday at their discretion if you don't agree. Cool.

_Ed_
23-11-2010, 09:58 AM
We're so progressive! Other countries must admire us.

JoBear
23-11-2010, 09:59 AM
They need to fix the problem with an MP being locally elected meaning their party doesn't need to meet the threshold. That's hardly democratic or representative. Copying the 92 referendum queations is idiotic as well! I wrote an essay on that last year about how misleading the questions then results were.

Spy Fox
23-11-2010, 09:59 AM
We're so progressive! Other countries must admire us.

Slightly in the wrong direction.

Someone needs to stand up and turn this all around, or I'm going to be a very disappointed voter.

_Ed_
23-11-2010, 10:08 AM
It just comes down to hoping you have a good employer. My boss is quite liberal, so I'm lucky.

If I wasn't so fortunate, I'd be so fucking terrified during those first 90 days. And I wouldn't dare take a sick day. Even if I survived that initial trial, the difficulty involved in getting a medical certificate would weigh on my mind when I was considering taking a day off (which every worker in the world should be allowed to have) when I felt too crook to go in to work.

Spy Fox
23-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Can Voters retract their decision to elect a new PM within the first 90-days? Just a thought :p

_Ed_
23-11-2010, 10:13 AM
It's a good thought.

Spy Fox
23-11-2010, 10:15 AM
"Look, John, it's just not working out for us. We're going to have to ask you to pack up your things and go."

_Ed_
23-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Sounds good to me!

Unless it means Bill English, Simon Power or Gerry Brownlee take over. :erm: The only National MP I have any respect for is Chris Findlayson.

Spy Fox
23-11-2010, 10:19 AM
I've never though poorly of Simon Power, but I guess that's because he came to my school to talk when I was about 10 :chuckle:

The brainwashing begins even then.

_Ed_
23-11-2010, 10:21 AM
He doesn't seem to be a believer in convicted criminals' ability to redeem themselves, shall we say. It seems, at times, that he would jump at the chance to reinstate the death penalty. That may be influenced by his party, though.

Me Rug I Sty
24-11-2010, 05:03 AM
Is the lineup on the BDO website not the full lineup? Because I got an email newsletter i'm subscribed to just mentioned that Aphex Twin were there, but they aren't on the BDO site... :unsure:

_Ed_
24-11-2010, 05:29 AM
Is the lineup on the BDO website not the full lineup? Because I got an email newsletter i'm subscribed to just mentioned that Aphex Twin were there, but they aren't on the BDO site... :unsure:
They release the lineup in two announcements. The second one hasn't been made yet, but will be in the very near future. That newsletter may have accidentally included some information from the second announcement.

_Ed_
24-11-2010, 05:30 AM
Even though I think a lot of us knew it was coming, the confirmation that none of the miners could still be alive comes as a really nasty blow. So awful.

lensip max
24-11-2010, 06:15 AM
I hope they all died in the first explosion, unknowing.

And I feel kind of terrible for wishing that.

Tacticalkat
24-11-2010, 06:17 AM

Agreed. Awful, awful situation but hopefully it was quick for all of them. :(

_Ed_
24-11-2010, 06:32 AM

I don't think you should feel terrible about that at all. It'd be better than them suffering for days and dying a slow and agonising death.

Super Sammy!
24-11-2010, 06:35 AM
I've never though poorly of Simon Power, but I guess that's because he came to my school to talk when I was about 10 :chuckle:

The brainwashing begins even then.

Totally the MP of my electorate :awesome: he came to my school too :chuckle:

JoBear
24-11-2010, 10:06 PM
With all that carbon monoxide if they did survive the first blast they would have just become unconscious and died. All the reporting just seems really irresponsible...right from the start it seemed so unlikely that they would lived very long in the mine. I guess the Chile thing really just askewed thinking.

The week you guys in NZ lose a public holiday, we get an extra one in the UK for the royal wedding.

Shwissky
25-11-2010, 05:55 AM
I forgot that 50,000 people was ALOT of people for Auckland. Loads of buses packed to the brim with people are headed to Mt smart for the U2 gig going right past my house which is no where near Mt smart. Its weird thinking its more than the amount of people who go to big day out.

_Ed_
25-11-2010, 08:15 AM
50,000 people is quite a few anywhere.

lensip max
25-11-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm seeing my dad for the...fifth time this year on the weekend. Should be good.

JoBear
25-11-2010, 11:54 PM
50,000 people is quite a few anywhere.
It's the population of Invercargill /random fact.

I haven't seen my parents since April. Probably won't see them for at least another year.

_Ed_
26-11-2010, 12:07 AM
That must be tough. :(

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=10690071
This is a good article.

"New Zealanders want to give people a fair go. It's part of our DNA. And they have given John Key a fair go. But they will be asking themselves whether smiles at the helm are going to help pay the bills at home." :awesome:

lensip max
26-11-2010, 03:43 AM
"New Zealanders want to give people a fair go. It's part of our DNA. And they have given John Key a fair go. But they will be asking themselves whether smiles at the helm are going to help pay the bills at home." :awesome:Oh Jim <3

The comments on that article fail though :LOL:

Got 99% in one of my papers.
This means I made a really really REALLY trivial mistake in the final exam. I keep yoyoing between :supersad: and :facepalm:

_Ed_
26-11-2010, 03:51 AM
99% is amazing, though!

lensip max
26-11-2010, 05:15 AM
But because I wrote a v as a y or something, I didn't get 100%. I screwed up by that much. Jesus Christ my Saviour.

Anyway.

There's an auction of obscure ancient Maori things in Paris, or so msn news tells me. Weird. I have greenstone which was brought back from European auction houses - just with my dad's work, it happens. He's one of the Indiana Joneses who bring things back, and finds out there were Maori pirates who retired to obscure villages on the French coast in the 18th century and things.

Spy Fox
26-11-2010, 07:57 AM
The Phoenix Foundation were in the second BDO announcement. I might go now, you keen Sam? :awesome:

I'll probably be heading down the Manawatu way mid-January too.

lensip max
26-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Just got paaaaaid :awesome: Getting my ticket to bdo 2m.

Mos Def is playing too though. Maaan. I need to save up, not spend all my money on concerts!

Ghosty Ghost
26-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Matt & Kim and The Greenhornes are quite good additions to the lineup. Then with the local bands Grayson Gilmour, Surf City and The Family Cactus are all worth seeing.

JoBear
26-11-2010, 07:17 PM
I must book tickets to the Phoenix Foundation in London actually.

lensip max
29-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Browsing through trademe (buying mum clothes for Xmas, because I'm super budget :awesome:), I found this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Clothing/Womenswear/Dresses/Size-12/auction-335140454.htm

The name's awesome, even though the dress isn't.

_Ed_
29-11-2010, 12:56 AM
I'd like to see Matt try to pull that off. Would even the most devoted/crazed fans say he'd look good in it?

Have to wonder how they came up with such a random name.

darkshineskitty
29-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Browsing through trademe (buying mum clothes for Xmas, because I'm super budget :awesome:), I found this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Clothing/Womenswear/Dresses/Size-12/auction-335140454.htm

The name's awesome, even though the dress isn't.

I went to a Trelise Cooper sale the other day and most of the clothes were HIDEOUS.

_Ed_
29-11-2010, 04:14 AM
RIP Leslie Nielsen. :(

He was older than I thought he was, though.

lensip max
29-11-2010, 09:39 AM
^Sad.

I'd like to see Matt try to pull that off. Would even the most devoted/crazed fans say he'd look good in it?

Have to wonder how they came up with such a random name.I saw it as a reference to the chicken-killing/eating/etc?

I went to a Trelise Cooper sale the other day and most of the clothes were HIDEOUS.Pity. I think I'll probably take her to Carly Harris and ask her what she wants. She always asks for earrings and then loses one and I'm so over that happening.

_Ed_
29-11-2010, 11:24 AM
I saw it as a reference to the chicken-killing/eating/etc?
Ooh, good point. Didn't think of that.

_Ed_
29-11-2010, 11:33 AM
http://www.holymoly.com/celebrity-news/hilary-duff-gets-engaged-celebration-blow-job43696
Have they never heard of a thing called a curtain?

lensip max
29-11-2010, 08:40 PM
http://www.holymoly.com/celebrity-news/hilary-duff-gets-engaged-celebration-blow-job43696
Have they never heard of a thing called a curtain?The news must have gone to her head.

It must have been a blow to have been caught by the paparazzi.

In other totally random stuff, am I the only one who think it's weird that tip top are heavily marketing Choc Bars? Those have been around for a million years! They used to be sold in PAPER WRAPPING! And now the nostalgic ad.

_Ed_
30-11-2010, 02:21 AM
The news must have gone to her head.

It must have been a blow to have been caught by the paparazzi.

In other totally random stuff, am I the only one who think it's weird that tip top are heavily marketing Choc Bars? Those have been around for a million years! They used to be sold in PAPER WRAPPING! And now the nostalgic ad.
That's weird! I haven't actually seen any of the ads, but yeah, they've been around for yonks. Eons, even.

lensip max
30-11-2010, 05:37 AM
INORITE! They were the perfect thing if you stopped at the dairy and were told you were only allowed one treat - because you ended up with an icecream AND a bar of chocolate.

Though the first time I ate one I freaked out because I thought I'd bitten through the stick. I was like... five.

Sales must be dropping or something. Jelly tips are still the most awesome tip top thing ever.

Tacticalkat
30-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Ooooh I love Jelly Tip. Not totally convinced on the Choc Bar. I had a Bubble o Bill for the first time in about ten years the other day. I have so much love for that ice cream!:LOL:

Spy Fox
30-11-2010, 09:50 AM
After the jelly part, I get pretty bored with a Jelly Tip.

<3 Choc Bars.

_Ed_
30-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Saw Zombieland tonight. Fucking hilarious. Loved it.

Super Sammy!
30-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Ooooh I love Jelly Tip. Not totally convinced on the Choc Bar. I had a Bubble o Bill for the first time in about ten years the other day. I have so much love for that ice cream!:LOL:

I used to always get them. We used to get given $1.50 to buy an icecream, and they were $1.40 at the time I think :p that was when I was about 8/9 though. Been many years since I've enjoyed an icecream, to be fair :(

The one thing I thought was terrible about the movie was the awfully abrupt ending...

hysteriaaah
30-11-2010, 01:20 PM
I used to always get them. We used to get given $1.50 to buy an icecream, and they were $1.40 at the time I think :p that was when I was about 8/9 though. Been many years since I've enjoyed an icecream, to be fair :(

i'm a high class bitch, always went for the magnums :LOL:

Davinq
30-11-2010, 04:41 PM
The one thing I thought was terrible about the movie was the awfully abrupt ending...

The ending made absolutely no sense. They spent the whole movie running away, pointing guns at people, trying to stay safe, and then "oh right let's turn on an amusement park that can be seen and heard from MILES AROUND and get everybody's attention!" :wtf: Right...

JoBear
30-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I used to snap off the jellytip bit and give it to someone else. Yuck.

What was the difference between a chocbar and a topsy?

Tacticalkat
01-12-2010, 12:29 AM

What was the difference between a chocbar and a topsy?

Jelly tips were such a huge novelty for me when I first arrived in NZ! :)

What's a Topsy?

lensip max
01-12-2010, 05:56 AM
After the jelly part, I get pretty bored with a Jelly Tip.

<3 Choc Bars.
i'm a high class bitch, always went for the magnums :LOL:

You're all dead to me.

I used to always get them. We used to get given $1.50 to buy an icecream, and they were $1.40 at the time I think :p that was when I was about 8/9 though. Been many years since I've enjoyed an icecream, to be fair :(Maan, me too. I'm lactose intolerant now, which means I spend a great deal of time finding ways around the fact I can't eat nearly any dairy. I make an epic raw vegan chocolate cheesecake though.

What was the difference between a chocbar and a topsy?They don't have the chocolate thing in the middle, or the same coating? I've never had a topsy though, so I'm totally speculating.

My aunt's coming to stay this weekend which means I surrender my bedroom. Which means I have to tidy it up. And do a bunch of housework generally. Rats.

JoBear
01-12-2010, 07:45 AM
i think choc bombs didn't have the middle bit...

_Ed_
01-12-2010, 09:08 AM
The middle bit was my favourite part.

Spy Fox
01-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Topsys are just vanilla ice-cream with a chocolate coating, aren't they?

JoBear
01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Maybe its choc bombs and topsys that are the same and choc bombs weren't tip top. Does chocbars have coconut in the choc shell?

JoBear
01-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Victoria axed their Gender Studies papers. The comments on the stuff article make me want to cry at how misinformed people are.

JoBear
01-12-2010, 09:55 PM
i always thought damper was a kiwi thing - wiki tells me otherwise.

okay - so a choc bar has a coconut shell and topsy just doesn't have the middle and a plain shell. right. think i'm sorted with my icecreams now.

i miss banana chills. i loved those.

_Ed_
01-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Victoria axed their Gender Studies papers. The comments on the stuff article make me want to cry at how misinformed people are.
That's a bullshit decision. Now is it only Otago that has them? Auckland has Gender Studies as some poor cousin section of Anthropology. I remember I was thinking about doing a Gender paper once, but had to take a couple of stage one Anthro papers as a prerequisite. Absolute rubbish treatment of a very important area of study.

On a brighter note...

i miss banana chills. i loved those.
Those = :awesome:

Michelle
02-12-2010, 12:14 AM

I saw it a few months ago and loved it too! Twinkies!!! :mad: :LOL:

As for ice cream matter, I think you guys have sorted it out. I got the jelly tip tub version the other day as they didn't have any plain strawberry ice cream :mad: But it's good :)

Argh, I'm so fustrated with everything these days and now problems with getting no internet at home is making it worse :mad: I need something to destroy to vent some anger out! :LOL:

Hope everyone else is fine!

_Ed_
02-12-2010, 01:02 AM
I need something to destroy to vent some anger out! :LOL:
Sounds so frustrating!

Let's suggest stuff that Michelle can destroy.

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/2009/11/18/sarah-palin-going-rogue-book-cover.jpg
Either a copy of the book or the person. Either way suits me.

Other options:

* Justin Bieber action figure toys. I'm guessing those exist by now. They must be almost life size. Of course, destroying them would involve buying them first. :unsure:

* Cameras on the set of Jersey Shore. You'd be doing us all a favour.

* There's a crappy old building called The Pala- oh, wait.

Michelle
02-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Yes! I'd love to destroy all those things but I don't want to buy them first :LOL:

Maybe I could print out Palin and put it on a glass cup to smash. But ugh, I don't want to clean up the mess :rolleyes:

I need an air rifle. Destroying a tin can with mulitple shots is rather satisfying.

lensip max
02-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Victoria axed their Gender Studies papers. The comments on the stuff article make me want to cry at how misinformed people are.Stuff comments=the concentrated nz equivalent of youtube comments.

Need to tidy my room and clean the bathroom because it's my afternoon off. DO NOT WANT. I hate being an adult sometime. Though I'm soooo glad to no longer be a teenager.

Michelle
02-12-2010, 05:08 AM
Got a new modem/wireless router this afternoon and it works, yay :awesome:

_Ed_
02-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Yay!
http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Avatars/768/14753.jpg

JoBear
02-12-2010, 08:05 AM
just looked outside and it's covered with snow...where'd that all come from? it wasn't even snowing when i went to bed at midnight.

Michelle
02-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Wow, definitely looks like another chilli winter for the northern hemisphere and a hot n dry summer down here.

_Ed_
02-12-2010, 09:36 AM
It was 18 degrees overnight here last night. I didn't enjoy that.

Spy Fox
02-12-2010, 10:34 AM

My friend wanted to do that, now I think she's a bit unsure of what to study.

Spy Fox
02-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Also, my Excellence Scholarship was accepted at Victoria :awesome:

Less worries for me!

JoBear
02-12-2010, 11:08 AM
I had to take Sociology and Anthropology papers to complete my Gender major. I hated both, they just weren't the same. Although my Gender lecturer was always telling me how rubbish it was at Vic...but that may have been because he was desperate to supervise me doing Masters at Otago. I would have done it had Otago actually acknowledged my double major if I did Honours. Their honours setup is shit.

Spy Fox
02-12-2010, 11:14 AM
I had to take Sociology and Anthropology papers to complete my Gender major. I hated both, they just weren't the same. Although my Gender lecturer was always telling me how rubbish it was at Vic...but that may have been because he was desperate to supervise me doing Masters at Otago. I would have done it had Otago actually acknowledged my double major if I did Honours. Their honours setup is shit.
Is that because you have to take certain papers each year to stay in the Honours program? That's what was different between Otago and Vic when I was doing my research. You can decide to do Honours if your marks are good enough at the end of your third year, you don't have to be 'in the program' beforehand.

JoBear
02-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah I was admitted to Honours in 2nd year and had to take such shit compulsory papers. I was fine doing that but because I was going straight into Honours basically my gender papers counted for nothing. I got fucked over by points changes as well as I did 2x 3rd year papers in my 2nd year. You only had to do 3 originally as the points were higher but in 3rd year the points went to same as 2nd year papers and you had to do four. I have a whole lot of wasted points in my degree!

_Ed_
02-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Less worries for me!
Nice, congrats!

lensip max
02-12-2010, 08:12 PM

Less worries for me!Congrats! Are you putting it towards your papers, or accommodation?

Mine went to papers because I was flatting on the Dixon st steps. I'd probably have put it to accommodation if I'd been in a hall, though.

lensip max
03-12-2010, 05:14 AM
So now that Manners mall has been totally destroyed, it's all over the news as a bad idea.

MEDIA FAIL, OMG.

_Ed_
03-12-2010, 08:32 AM
I was amazed that the first I heard about the change was after it opened.

lensip max
03-12-2010, 09:05 AM
It was appealed in town tonnes, but the council never listened. Being, y'know, the council, and everything. They're a rotten bunch.

And the re-roading of that block of Manners St is a very sad move in the context of Wellington's recent history:
Cuba and Manners were originally closed off after the council exhumed the settlers cemetery and buried everyone in it in a mass grave up in Karori (which they delicately renamed the "settler memorial lawn" or something like that), to make way for the motorway (which was never completed, because the stock market crashed in the 80s anyway).
---->They put a bypass through a chunk of the pretty, old part of the city a few years ago, and instead of setting aside more public space, they've gone the other way, because they fail so epically. I don't know. I love Wellington to bits. But the council are a piece of shit.

_Ed_
03-12-2010, 10:58 AM
That does sound like absolutely terrible council behaviour. What a shame. :(

Me Rug I Sty
04-12-2010, 03:35 AM
3rd ball.
2 for 1. :facepalm:
This is going to be a long day.

Me Rug I Sty
04-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Amazed we 1) got over 160, and 2) played out the 50 overs.

Ghosty Ghost
04-12-2010, 11:20 AM
And still got an absolute pummelling.

Me Rug I Sty
04-12-2010, 11:31 AM
We knew that was going to happen as soon as they lost wickets so early, without having runs. As much as I like franklin, his contribution shouldn't have to be the major part of our innings.
Hopefully with nothing to lose (other than more dignity) we can sort that top order out a bit better...

_Ed_
04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
The bowling has been the biggest problem in the last two games. 3 wickets for close to 500 runs, one of which was a run out. Nice.

_Ed_
04-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Living up to my title of 'event organiser' for once, I organised the second work karaoke night this evening. It was awesome. :awesome:

I actually didn't pick any songs myself - since all my workmates were quite excited and everything I let them pick the songs. But I joined in the singing of such songs as Chop Suey, Bad Romance, Never Gonna Give You Up (a fucking Rickroll!) and Livin' On a Prayer.

Me Rug I Sty
04-12-2010, 09:33 PM
The bowling has been the biggest problem in the last two games. 3 wickets for close to 500 runs, one of which was a run out. Nice.Yep. Our attack is getting too old to do much. Might as well bring in some young blood. They may not do any better, but they'll be getting future experience :erm:
We actually have a pretty decent batting tail ATM, but we don't have enough out and out batsment at the top order to set a good platform...
And Williamson (sp?) should never have been expected to bat 3 so early in his career :noey:

_Ed_
04-12-2010, 11:35 PM
I think they've only done that because McCullum and Ryder were injured. If they were fit, the top 3 would have been McCullum, Ryder, Guptill, and Williamson would have been at 5 or 6.

Taylor should probably have moved up to 3 instead though.

_Ed_
05-12-2010, 03:51 AM
I just saw someone taking a photo of Denny's. :wtf: Who the fuck takes a photo of Denny's? If it's one of Auckland's major landmarks, then we're in deeper trouble than I thought.

Now, I'm not pretending I've never been to Denny's. There's a time and a place for the fatty delights they have on offer. But they should really only be a guilty pleasure and/or a drunken destination.

Taking a photo of Denny's? :noey: And I mean the whole building, not the hilarious sexual innuendo on a sign inside Denny's that you quite rightly took a photo of, Jo.

_Ed_
05-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Speaking of sexual innuendo, two lines from the show I'm working on at the moment at work...

"Can you hold me?"
"I won't hold you. I'll hold the rod."

They're fishing, guys. Get your minds out of the gutter.

Me Rug I Sty
05-12-2010, 06:44 AM
I think they've only done that because McCullum and Ryder were injured. If they were fit, the top 3 would have been McCullum, Ryder, Guptill, and Williamson would have been at 5 or 6.

Taylor should probably have moved up to 3 instead though.
Aye. But we still need more depth, in reality. Ryder seems to injured a lot... Not good at a young age :(

Exactly! Even if he wasn't doing well, he's a senior batsman, and probably our best batsman.

Michelle
05-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Living up to my title of 'event organiser' for once, I organised the second work karaoke night this evening. It was awesome. :awesome:

I actually didn't pick any songs myself - since all my workmates were quite excited and everything I let them pick the songs. But I joined in the singing of such songs as Chop Suey, Bad Romance, Never Gonna Give You Up (a fucking Rickroll!) and Livin' On a Prayer.

Nice. I've been to a karaoke place in Newmarket a couple times lately and it's quite a nice place. The song data base isn't that big though (no Muse) so I don't think I'll enjoy it as much if I go again since I'm done with most of the songs I want to sing but my friend loves it.

Speaking of sexual innuendo, two lines from the show I'm working on at the moment at work...

"Can you hold me?"
"I won't hold you. I'll hold the rod."

They're fishing, guys. Get your minds out of the gutter.

That reminds of the series Bottom that I've been watching a lot this year. Just about everything is first interpretted as a sexual innendo, it's funny stuff though.

JoBear
05-12-2010, 09:22 PM
i was about to buy phoenix foundation tickets a week ago and then got distracted. it's now sold out. :mad:

had a week of gigging, the national x 2, arcade fire and vampire weekend. of course it had to be the coldest week with bloody snow.

Spy Fox
06-12-2010, 01:24 AM
Congrats! Are you putting it towards your papers, or accommodation?

Mine went to papers because I was flatting on the Dixon st steps. I'd probably have put it to accommodation if I'd been in a hall, though.

It's probably going towards Accommodation, because if you pay it towards papers it seems they just pay off whatever you have put on your student load, so you don't get the student load as well. Might have to find out in more detail though.

Michelle
06-12-2010, 07:06 AM
i was about to buy phoenix foundation tickets a week ago and then got distracted. it's now sold out. :mad:

had a week of gigging, the national x 2, arcade fire and vampire weekend. of course it had to be the coldest week with bloody snow.

Oh no! :(

But sounds like an awesome week of gigs.

One week til The Fall for me :D

lensip max
06-12-2010, 08:15 AM
I just saw someone taking a photo of Denny's. :wtf: Who the fuck takes a photo of Denny's? If it's one of Auckland's major landmarks, then we're in deeper trouble than I thought.

Now, I'm not pretending I've never been to Denny's. There's a time and a place for the fatty delights they have on offer. But they should really only be a guilty pleasure and/or a drunken destination.

Taking a photo of Denny's? :noey: And I mean the whole building, not the hilarious sexual innuendo on a sign inside Denny's that you quite rightly took a photo of, Jo.My cousins live in the same street as a Denny's in Auckland! I enjoy the contrast of their very posh apartment building being like a couple of blocks downhill from Denny's :chuckle:

It's probably going towards Accommodation, because if you pay it towards papers it seems they just pay off whatever you have put on your student load, so you don't get the student load as well. Might have to find out in more detail though.The way they did mine was write $4,000 off the costs of my papers, and uni-related things (student association, etc) leaving me with a $1200 overhang which I needed a student loan for anyway.

My mum's decided to turn my journey up to Auckland in Feb into a supermassive road trip :awesome:
We're going via Taranaki, which will be intense because Taranaki in February melts to a blaze and everything is kind of beaten into this high-relief light-and-warm-shadowed vibrancy that makes you all squinty-eyed. Especially at sunset - all the roads wheel into the setting sun. It'll be nice to see everyone though. When we're past the residual blots the brightness leaves on your vision, anyway.

Spy Fox
06-12-2010, 09:24 AM
The way they did mine was write $4,000 off the costs of my papers, and uni-related things (student association, etc) leaving me with a $1200 overhang which I needed a student loan for anyway.

Thing is, I've almost planned the whole years finances (without actual numbers, should probably do that). The scholarship + one from school that I was awarded, plus Student Loan almost covers accommodation and course costs for the year, leaving me with a bit to cover, which my parents want to help with, and I have all the money I've saved from work left over until next year, or to pay off the Loan.

Apparently if you repay the whole Loan back straight away, you get 10% back, which is :awesome:

_Ed_
06-12-2010, 09:38 AM
I just endured a bit of a giggling fit at work. I'm working on a movie that has lots of posh British secret servicey guys, and one of them just called a woman a conniving cunt. :LOL:

I replayed it several times. It's quite glorious.

lensip max
06-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Thing is, I've almost planned the whole years finances (without actual numbers, should probably do that). The scholarship + one from school that I was awarded, plus Student Loan almost covers accommodation and course costs for the year, leaving me with a bit to cover, which my parents want to help with, and I have all the money I've saved from work left over until next year, or to pay off the Loan.

Apparently if you repay the whole Loan back straight away, you get 10% back, which is :awesome:I am suitably impressed by your organisation (seriously. Wow) Still think you should chuck the Vic scholarship at accommodation :yesey:

I just endured a bit of a giggling fit at work. I'm working on a movie that has lots of posh British secret servicey guys, and one of them just called a woman a conniving cunt. :LOL:

I replayed it several times. It's quite glorious.Oh, win :LOL:

Mum and I had this huge hypothetical if-you-had-a-dinner-party-who-would-you-invite-living-or-dead discussion. Our 10 each turned into this mash up:

Nefertiti
Aristotle
Alexander the Great & Hephaistion
Sappho
Rumi
Queen Idia
Bernini
Christine de Pisan
T.S. Eliot
W.H Auden + guest
Josephine Baker
Cate Blanchett
Ian Mckellen
Roy Orbison
Bob Dylan
F. Scott Fitzgerald
My grandma/mum's mum
A family friend

And Bucephalus in the garden.

_Ed_
06-12-2010, 11:35 AM
And Bucephalus in the garden.
Naturally. Issues would arise if he were to come indoors.

That looks like an excellent list.

_Ed_
06-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Muse are horrible! Apparently the tickets to the first night in Brisbane went on sale first, and they got a pretty shit setlist. The second show has so far featured MK Ultra and Butterflies & Hurricanes. That's so unfair on the fans who rushed to buy first night tickets.

Edit: And now Sunburn, apparently. I don't blame anyone who went on the first night bearing a grudge.

JoBear
06-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Makes sense to put the scholarship on accommodation since you've only got the $155 living costs a week. And if you're in a hall its about $260ish now isn't it? You might as well get the loan even if you have your own money, keep it all in the bank for interest. I know a few people whose parents pay for Uni but they got the loan solely for that reason.

darkshineskitty
06-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Alexander the Great & Hephaistion

That you put these two together makes me happy :happy:

Muse are horrible! Apparently the tickets to the first night in Brisbane went on sale first, and they got a pretty shit setlist. The second show has so far featured MK Ultra and Butterflies & Hurricanes. That's so unfair on the fans who rushed to buy first night tickets.

Muse are dicks.

_Ed_
06-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Muse are dicks.
Conniving cunts, even?

Was hoping to slip that into a conversation some time.

_Ed_
06-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Hah, Bliss! It's quite hilarious now.

Edit: Citizen Erased! :LOL:

JoBear
06-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Yay more Phoenix Foundation tickets for February. I am going to see them now. :happy:

Taking my Italian friend, slowly integrating her into the kiwi scene. At my birthday it was kiwi themed and she was the only one there who wasn't from NZ. She got quite the education.

Michelle
06-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Excellent! I'm looking forward to seeing them at BDO.

I replayed it several times. It's quite glorious.

Nice! :LOL: What was the movie?

Edit: And now Sunburn, apparently. I don't blame anyone who went on the first night bearing a grudge.

Damn, Sunburn and Bliss. That would have been sweet. Maybe it was a good thing they didn't come back here then because if they gave us a setlist without any goodies I'd be furious :LOL:

_Ed_
07-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Nice! :LOL: What was the movie?
It was called The Bank Job. Quite entertaining, actually. Coming up next Monday night.

Maybe it was a good thing they didn't come back here then because if they gave us a setlist without any goodies I'd be furious :LOL:
Haha, true.

I'm guessing the reason they didn't come is that they wouldn't have been able to bring the towers stage over because of the costs and everything involved in bringing them across the Tasman for just one or maybe two shows - it's sad that they're too scared now to do an arena show without all the fancy visuals. In 2004 they just had the Absolution falling men background and they were amazing, and they hardly had all the bells and whistles in 2007 either.

_Ed_
07-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Scary stuff from John Key with the changes to security surveillance laws. People can make submissions, but the whole process is going to be behind closed doors "for reasons I don't want to go into." :unsure:

Michelle
07-12-2010, 02:53 AM
It was called The Bank Job. Quite entertaining, actually. Coming up next Monday night.

Oh awesome, sounds good.

Haha, true.

I'm guessing the reason they didn't come is that they wouldn't have been able to bring the towers stage over because of the costs and everything involved in bringing them across the Tasman for just one or maybe two shows - it's sad that they're too scared now to do an arena show without all the fancy visuals. In 2004 they just had the Absolution falling men background and they were amazing, and they hardly had all the bells and whistles in 2007 either.

Yeah they could have easily just brought over a few bits and pieces (or even nothing!) for a simple show again, but I guess Warner said no or Muse think we are more interested in the pretty lights than the music :rolleyes:

lensip max
07-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Scary stuff from John Key with the changes to security surveillance laws. People can make submissions, but the whole process is going to be behind closed doors "for reasons I don't want to go into." :unsure:And he's getting away with it because of the world cup.

I wrote him off as minister of tourism, but this is actually getting quite sinister.

_Ed_
07-12-2010, 08:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1G6osCnsbA&feature=player_embedded
This is something special. :chuckle:

Spy Fox
07-12-2010, 10:45 AM

That's a good film. I do quite enjoy films along that line, ie, Lock Stock, Snatch, Ocean's Eleven. I do just enjoy films in general though :LOL:

hysteriaaah
07-12-2010, 11:00 AM

WHAT. wait, so thats mk, butterflies,sunburn,CE....holy shit it must be exploding in the aussie boards over there. i don't dare venture.:stunned: wth! they've never done this before.

still wish they came here though. for months i thought they'd come eventually, but i'm being a realist now. maybe if cost and shipping is a problem, they could just and play a standard show. No glitz, no glamour; just muse.:D but i guess it aint like that anymore....

Me Rug I Sty
07-12-2010, 12:41 PM
SOOO amped after that innings.:happy:

Hope India don't ruin it for me while I sleep :(

Spy Fox
07-12-2010, 12:42 PM
The cricket was on?

:facepalm:

_Ed_
07-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Who's this James Franklin, and what did he do with the other James Franklin?

Me Rug I Sty
07-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Oh, Angus, it was so amazing *sniffle*

I always liked Jame Franklin, but I guess he's worked on a lot since he got dropped a while back :LOL:

_Ed_
07-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Sorry if you guys are growing tired of my TNAF raving, but I just think this song is too lovely not to share.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akkph1cJbO0

Michelle
08-12-2010, 12:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1G6osCnsbA&feature=player_embedded
This is something special. :chuckle:

Sorry if you guys are growing tired of my TNAF raving, but I just think this song is too lovely not to share.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akkph1cJbO0

Nice.

I'm into Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at the moment. Quite like this song and it has been stuck in my head a lot lately.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZgIliykTFw

_Ed_
08-12-2010, 01:53 AM
Very cool. Love his voice.

Super Sammy!
08-12-2010, 05:02 AM
Why on earth should NZ become a republic?! That's so stupid. :noey: we've trucked along fine for the past 60 or so years under the Commonwealth, God knows why it needs to suddenly be any different :erm:

JoBear
08-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Because we're trying to be Australia?

_Ed_
08-12-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm in favour of us becoming a republic, actually - as long as we get to vote for our head of state (which was the thing Australia fucked up in their proposed republic). I just don't think the British royal family is relevant to us in this part of the world anymore, and I'd like to have a head of state that actually lives here and gives a shit about us.

But John was so starstruck when he got to meet the Queen that he's ruled it out for as long as he's PM, so that's that.

Super Sammy!
08-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Because we're trying to be Australia?

:noey: we'll never be Australia. We're just not big enough and we don't have enough people.

I'm in favour of us becoming a republic, actually - as long as we get to vote for our head of state (which was the thing Australia fucked up in their proposed republic). I just don't think the British royal family is relevant to us in this part of the world anymore, and I'd like to have a head of state that actually lives here and gives a shit about us.

But John was so starstruck when he got to meet the Queen that he's ruled it out for as long as he's PM, so that's that.

Well, the royal family is relevant to no-one anymore, really. Their lives are thrown all over the magazines, they want to put William and Kate's wedding in 3D, ffs. Okay, for that reason, yeah, break away from them, the royal family lost any kind of power when Diana died. Now it's all just about the publicity for them :noey:
I just don't like the idea of being a republic because we don't need to be that way. Although the queen is simply just a figurehead these days, at least we know if we screwed up anywhere, the UK would be right there to save us. If we became a republic, they'd still do the same just because it's right to do, but they wouldn't have any kind of obligation to do so. Under the Commonwealth, we're basically safe, no matter what.

I don't like that we'd be vulnerable, basically. At least it'll never happen :yesey: well, not any time soon, anyway.

_Ed_
08-12-2010, 09:39 AM
That's fair enough.

But the Commonwealth, to me, is such a random collection of countries that no longer have very much at all in common. I think the days in which we refer to the UK as "the home country" are long gone. The only thing I like about the Commonwealth is our increased medal tally in the Commonwealth Games!

I'm more interested in strengthening regional relationships. If we did ever need saving, we'd have a bit of a wait if we were relying on the UK.

Super Sammy!
08-12-2010, 09:48 AM
That's fair enough.

But the Commonwealth, to me, is such a random collection of countries that no longer have very much at all in common. I think the days in which we refer to the UK as "the home country" are long gone. The only thing I like about the Commonwealth is our increased medal tally in the Commonwealth Games!

I'm more interested in strengthening regional relationships. If we did ever need saving, we'd have a bit of a wait if we were relying on the UK.

It is a bit, but it's just a safety net, really. The Commonwealth, United Nations, League of Nations, European Union, so on, so forth, they all were/are just a collection of countries that, at the end of the day, would always 'be there' for each other. UN and LoN, not so much (seeing they've failed so many times), but it's just that extra safety net. We'll probably never need them, but it's always nice to have the option.

That's true. At least our country isn't in too much debt yet. I think we're lucky that we're so small for that reason - there's not enough money here for other countries to borrow, and our economy appears to be coping at the moment (for all I know, we could be in enormous debt and our economy could be collapsing like crazy) so we don't need to borrow.

This is why I never took economics or politics. Waaaaay over my head... I leave it to people like you and Jo who know a hell of a lot more about it than I do :LOL:

_Ed_
08-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Haha, I think we pretend to know a lot more about it than we do - I certainly do. But maybe that is actually what it takes to be a good politician.

JoBear
08-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm happy that we're a Commonwealth. Afterall if we weren't I wouldn't be living in London right now. Australia needs to be a republic so some other countries can win gold at the Commonwealth games.

hysteriaaah
08-12-2010, 10:55 AM
no one seems to have the guts to leave the commonwealth.

maybe the queen will turn into a lizard and eat you if you do.

lensip max
08-12-2010, 11:09 AM
My biggest b33f with us becoming a republic is that the legal mess we pretend doesn't exist solve by remaining a part of the Commonwealth would be null and void, and that could do very bad things for the country.

The treaty, for instance. There are huge issues to do with that because it's fundamentally fucked up as is. Imagine us trying to make a codified constitution with that nest of vipers wriggling all over everywhere. O hai there civil war (and stfu New Zealand Company).

Nick Cave is one of the things I'm most excited for, BDO-wise :happy:

_Ed_
08-12-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm happy that we're a Commonwealth. Afterall if we weren't I wouldn't be living in London right now. Australia needs to be a republic so some other countries can win gold at the Commonwealth games.

no one seems to have the guts to leave the commonwealth.

maybe the queen will turn into a lizard and eat you if you do.

My biggest b33f with us becoming a republic is that the legal mess we pretend doesn't exist solve by remaining a part of the Commonwealth would be null and void, and that could do very bad things for the country.

The treaty, for instance. There are huge issues to do with that because it's fundamentally fucked up as is. Imagine us trying to make a codified constitution with that nest of vipers wriggling all over everywhere. O hai there civil war (and stfu New Zealand Company).
All good points.

JoBear
08-12-2010, 09:05 PM
i can't believe this story turned out to be true: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/4438239/P-pure-as-driven-snow-unlike-model-says-lawyer

Michelle
08-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Nick Cave is one of the things I'm most excited for, BDO-wise :happy:

Me too :D

_Ed_
09-12-2010, 02:19 AM
i can't believe this story turned out to be true: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/4438239/P-pure-as-driven-snow-unlike-model-says-lawyer
No way!

I scoffed when I first heard about this story. Scoffed! I sincerely and unreservedly apologise to her.

_Ed_
09-12-2010, 03:10 AM
I finally had to make the tough decision and replace my eftpos card today. I'd had the dear old thing since 2003. I feel like I've lost an old friend. :(

Me Rug I Sty
09-12-2010, 05:19 AM
I thought they were usually only valid for 2/3 years... 5 at the most?

_Ed_
09-12-2010, 05:24 AM
Not sure about that, but I'd definitely had it since I was at school. It had the really old ASB logo on it.

And the only reason I had to replace it is the plastic cover started to peel off and get in the way whenever I tried to swipe it.

Me Rug I Sty
09-12-2010, 05:26 AM
What was the expiry date on it? :chuckle:
I had a loaded card, and that expires next year, and I just replaced it with a debit card (didn't really like the loaded system), which expires in two years...

_Ed_
09-12-2010, 05:28 AM
I don't think eftpos cards have expiry dates. I don't remember seeing one on it, and my new one doesn't have one.

Super Sammy!
09-12-2010, 06:31 AM
I finally had to make the tough decision and replace my eftpos card today. I'd had the dear old thing since 2003. I feel like I've lost an old friend. :(

I thought they were usually only valid for 2/3 years... 5 at the most?

That's what I thought too!
http://i51.tinypic.com/10rj0ci.jpg
My card has an expiry date... :unsure:

Maybe you just had an invincible one! :awesome:

Michelle
09-12-2010, 10:37 AM

I did that this year too! Mine was like 10 years old. Some machines didn't like it :( I was gutted when they cut it in half right in front of me :LOL:

JoBear
09-12-2010, 10:40 AM
I loved my giant jaffa one from Westpac. Wanted to keep it but she cut it up in front of me. Which reminds me Westpac on their own accord sent a debit card out. Don't want it.

lensip max
09-12-2010, 12:01 PM
I've never had one cut up before - I just lose them lots and have to go in and say so... it was rather tricky when I didn't have ID.

_Ed_
09-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Having it cut up is unnecessarily violent. I didn't go through such a traumatic experience, fortunately. But she did chuck mine in the bin. :(

Michelle
09-12-2010, 09:45 PM
:(

It's quite sad how we get so attached to a little piece of plastic, isn't it? :chuckle:

JoBear
09-12-2010, 09:54 PM
once you go anywhere other than new zealand, you realise just how awesome eftpos is.

Michelle
10-12-2010, 12:13 AM
True, we must have it pretty easy here epecially with no transaction fee for students at least.

_Ed_
10-12-2010, 02:07 AM
Words cannot describe the awesomeness of eftpos.

I have my work Christmas party today. I'll try not to think of the fact that there's a promotion up for grabs, and I think about five of us are competing for two positions. :erm: We usually get on so awesomely as a department, so I hope it won't put any strain on that. At least it's anonymous, so I don't know who my rivals are.

JoBear
10-12-2010, 08:34 AM
I've never had any eftpos fees. With my UK debit card it can 3 working days for a payment to go out so banks make a killing on overdrafts and honouring fees.

lensip max
10-12-2010, 10:23 AM
I just saw my cousin in a Hallensteins ad :erm:

Me Rug I Sty
10-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Did you know they acted?:LOL:

_Ed_
10-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Haha, TVNZ Christmas party is amazing. It's out on the roof balcony thing, and it was packed with probably about 700 people. And up in the apartment buildings across the road, heaps of people had huge parties that were out on their balconies joining in with our music.

And I know a few reporters who won't be featuring on the news tomorrow. :chuckle: Wonder if they'll have recovered by Sunday.

lensip max
11-12-2010, 01:55 AM
^Sounds awesome!

And yes, I know he acts. It's just a bit depressing though. WHY IS EVERYONE I GREW UP WITH SO MUCH MORE TALENTED AND BEAUTIFUL THAN I AM, OH MY GOD.

Me Rug I Sty
11-12-2010, 04:32 AM
:( dunno if a hallensteins ad makes you partiularly talented, though. But good on him for getting a start in something...
was it that one they were playing during the cricket last night, something about brothers.

Spy Fox
11-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Slightly related. We went to Wellington to see 'The Great Gatsby' at Circa, and the girl off the My Sky ad who's having a baby and quotes Titanic was in it.

/starstruckinnz

lensip max
11-12-2010, 06:53 AM
:( dunno if a hallensteins ad makes you partiularly talented, though. But good on him for getting a start in something...
No, but being recognised for your playwrighting, or your artistic abilities, or at sundance for your badassery, or getting signed to Flying Nun, or being in nicely successful bands already, does.

Which are some of the things other people of mine have done this year. And for a number of years. My life is sucky and surrounded by extraordinary people.

_Ed_
11-12-2010, 07:40 AM
What was that, TV1 news? They had this story about how Warner Bros executives were driven around in Parliamentary limos, "costing taxpayers thousands". Now, I love to hate this government, but I just didn't think that was such a big deal.

But then, as a tiny little aside in this story, they said the National government also gave the executives "full Customs facilitation". :stunned: That is a much, much bigger deal than how they got around Wellington. It's also a dangerous precedent.

_Ed_
11-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Rocky Horror Picture Show on Sky Movies Greats. :happy: Never tire of it.

Spy Fox
11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Rocky Horror Picture Show on Sky Movies Greats. :happy: Never tire of it.
I saw that! I was going to watch it, but my family might want to watch other things :LOL:

lensip max
11-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Rocky Horror Picture Show on Sky Movies Greats. :happy: Never tire of it.I associate Rocky Horror with being 10 - which was when I first saw it.

Also the first year I heard Bohemian Rhapsody.

Good times :awesome:

Ghosty Ghost
11-12-2010, 12:20 PM
The dvd of Rocky Horror has been absolutely pissing out at my work. It would be a pretty sweet xmas present though.

Super Sammy!
12-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I haven't seen the full Rocky Horror since I was about 8... I don't remember it at all! :( well, no, I lie, I remember the Time Warp scene :LOL:

_Ed_
13-12-2010, 02:30 AM
The scene I always remember clearest is the one in which Meatloaf is brutally murdered with an axe. :LOL:

I'm not quite sure what that, and my subsequent usage of the :LOL:, says about me.

_Ed_
13-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Got a bit of a laugh out of this. :$
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldcrosT0gh1qaeqzpo1_500.jpg

Me Rug I Sty
13-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I lol'd.

I feel silly.

lensip max
14-12-2010, 04:32 AM
My oh my, today was horrific. I feel SO awful. ashjkdakhdsaha.

_Ed_
14-12-2010, 05:22 AM
What happened? :(

MistressMary
14-12-2010, 05:53 AM
*hugs* to you lensip max.

Spy Fox
14-12-2010, 09:32 AM
:(

lensip max
14-12-2010, 10:39 AM
I bullet-pointed everything, but then I felt silly. Basically, a bunch of shite things happened this year, and whenever I overcame them, something new got thrown on the table. I totally thought I was clear with only a fortnight of 2010 left, but something new happened today and now I have to hustle to fix it before it fucks up everything for the rest of my life - and I'm fond of hyperbole, but I'm not exaggerating. The circumstances of my immediate family read like every house on Wisteria Lane - in every series - combined. And minus the voiceovers. I just wanted to work the next 2 weeks and get this year over with - I'm copy editing. The pay is wonderful and the work is neat and mentally engaging and it's the best job I've ever had.

Thanks for the sadfaces and shiz though guys. Less than three.

darkshineskitty
14-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Sounds rough Lenny. Holiday periods suck. Hope things get better soon and you can get back to finishing work!

_Ed_
14-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Yeah, best wishes, Lenny.

_Ed_
14-12-2010, 12:36 PM
There was a weird comment today by John Key about the upcoming by-election in Botany (after Pansy Wong stepped down). "We'll be looking for a similar result to what we had in Mana, which was solid support for the government." Um, John, you lost Mana. :erm:

And don't give me that 'reduced majority' stuff - fewer people voted, and the left vote was split three ways between Labour, the Greens (who are enjoying increased popularity in Wellington in the wake of a Green candidate's win in the mayoralty there) and Matt McCarten.

lensip max
15-12-2010, 07:40 AM
And a fortnight after the election, there are Iwi/Kiwi billboards up in Wellington again.

(I saw one today. They make me upchuck a bit in my mouth, ngl. It kind of kills me that they're allowed to stay standing. And that tonnes of people don't see anything wrong with that.)

_Ed_
15-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Yeah, those are disgraceful.

Me Rug I Sty
15-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Who walks their dog through The Warehouse carpark at 12:10 am?
Srsly.

Spy Fox
15-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Who walks their dog through The Warehouse carpark at 12:10 am?
Srsly.
Weird people.

Me Rug I Sty
15-12-2010, 12:07 PM
...it turned out to be a teacher from my school. He taught me last year for a term. He's left at the end of this year...

Well, it was probably him.

Spy Fox
16-12-2010, 03:17 AM
What would be your ideal ODI team of players from the last decade?

1. Lou Vincent
2. Nathan Astle
3. Stephen Fleming
4. Ross Taylor
5. Craig McMillan (or Scott Styris)
6. Chris Cairns
7. Brendon McCullum
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Chris Harris
10. Kyle Mills
11. Shane Bond