PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Musers Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

_Ed_
16-08-2010, 12:40 PM
I was amazed that they didn't realise people would complain about the Sophie being stalked by creepy uni tutor guy storyline.

I mean, come on. Same name, same relationship, scary stalkage. Honestly! :rolleyes: They really should have been a bit considerate and given that one a miss.

darkshineskitty
16-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I was amazed that they didn't realise people would complain about the Sophie being stalked by creepy uni tutor guy storyline.

I mean, come on. Same name, same relationship, scary stalkage. Honestly! :rolleyes: They really should have been a bit considerate and given that one a miss.

Same name? Really? Jeeze.

_Ed_
16-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah. I guess they want to bring up serious issues that young people face, but if they were desperate to do that one, they could have left it for a while and brought in a character not called Sophie before doing so.

darkshineskitty
16-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Yeah. I guess they want to bring up serious issues that young people face, but if they were desperate to do that one, they could have left it for a while and brought in a character not called Sophie before doing so.

Only female teenager on the show, lulz. And Daniel was only male teen.

_Ed_
16-08-2010, 01:12 PM
True. She had that friend who went into prostitution...and then vanished without anyone noticing. :erm:

darkshineskitty
16-08-2010, 01:17 PM
True. She had that friend who went into prostitution...and then vanished without anyone noticing. :erm:

:LOL: how do you remember that?

_Ed_
16-08-2010, 01:24 PM
I had to do the episode where she went into prostitution at work, and I haven't seen any trace of her since.

In other news, this is making me laugh hysterically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_y1xfzV8dM

JoBear
16-08-2010, 05:34 PM
they're going to start playing shortland street here from the very day kieran turned up...so 2007. but then, i didn't see 8 months of 2007 so i can catch up.

phoenix is a warner then? like does chris have some random love child?

_Ed_
17-08-2010, 02:35 AM
He does. With Allison, apparently. Thought she died.

Super Sammy!
17-08-2010, 05:25 AM
Have you guys seen the rumoured headliners for the BDO? Kings of Leon for Orange Stage and Soundgarden for Blue Stage. :erm: not fussed at all.

_Ed_
17-08-2010, 06:45 AM
That doesn't excite me much. Hoping for Arcade Fire and Marina and the Diamonds, though. Would definitely go if they're playing.

Super Sammy!
17-08-2010, 07:32 AM
That doesn't excite me much. Hoping for Arcade Fire and Marina and the Diamonds, though. Would definitely go if they're playing.

Oh, I'd definitely go for Arcade Fire. It's a pity Florence never ended up performing at the BDO, and I also didn't go to her gig here (because tickets were $100! They only have on album...) :(

_Ed_
17-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I see there's a 'documentary' on tomorrow called 'Half Ton Son'. Can't miss that. :rolleyes:

darkshineskitty
17-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Does anyone know what the usual graduation months are for Auckland Uni? I know that the next one is in September this year, but I graduate after the first semester of next year, and want to make travel plans. When have the other ceremonies been?

In terms of BDO, I'm not a massive fan of either of those, but I'd probably still go just for the festival atmosphere. Might be a bit of work convincing my friend though- she's usually of the 'if I don't like the bands, why would I go?' opinion. It might be kind of nice to have someone she really wants to see come, so we could go for that, and then just have the rest of the day as a 'see anything' type event. Takes the stress out of waiting around for the act you want to see.

_Ed_
17-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Does anyone know what the usual graduation months are for Auckland Uni? I know that the next one is in September this year, but I graduate after the first semester of next year, and want to make travel plans. When have the other ceremonies been?
First week in May usually.

darkshineskitty
17-08-2010, 12:58 PM
First week in May usually.

Oh that should be good. But does the semester not end until June? :erm:

JoBear
17-08-2010, 05:08 PM
It sounds similar to Otago, you could graduate in December or April. So you'd have to graduate in September in absentia if you didn't plan to be there or apply to graduate in May the next year. I had the choice to graduate in December a month after I finished Uni with no friends around, or graduate in April not knowing whether I'd do postgrad at Vic or be living somewhere else. I did December, it was a pretty non event.

JoBear
17-08-2010, 07:47 PM
I found this website my work uses to give info to people relocating internationally, the site is obviously American:

New Zealand is composed of two large islands - the North and South Islands that are approximately the size of Japan or Britain - in addition to several smaller ones. Located in the Southern Hemisphere, New Zealand is very near the International Date Line.

The country is a geographical cornucopia, with majestic mountains, geothermal pools and geysers, rich rain forests, fjords, and sparkling beaches. Outdoor life is a passion with the people of New Zealand or "Kiwis" - a nickname borrowed from the national bird. Much time is spent walking, trekking, cycling, and sailing.

North American and British business people find that taking business dealings to this English-speaking democracy is virtually seamless in terms of customs and expectations. The biggest hurdle is the distance to travel.

New Zealanders are direct and fairly relaxed in business, and they favor forthrightness over showmanship.

Humanitarianism is a pervasive character trait in New Zealanders, and they value human progress and care of the individual person. Individualism is also highly valued, and a person's highest reward is to be recognized for an achievement.

New Zealanders are generally open and friendly. They are practical, strong and self-reliant, and are dedicated to family and home. They are proud and patriotic, and work hard to improve their homes and gardens.

New Zealanders are not the same as Australians, although that may be the expectation. Australians tend to be affable but direct, sometimes to the point of bluntness; New Zealanders are described as being a bit more staid. The comparison has often been drawn about the differences between the U.S. and Canada, Canadians inevitably being described as a quieter, more composed people. The same could be said for New Zealanders.

New Zealand people are very receptive to new ideas and to travelers from around the world. The multicultural environment welcomes and assimilates foreigners with ease.

New Zealanders have shared a common bond with the British, who first settled in the country in 1769. The two countries also share a sovereign queen. A friendly rivalry exists between New Zealanders and Australians, to whom they are often compared and with whom they are sometimes confused by foreigners.

_Ed_
18-08-2010, 03:25 AM
Insightful.

Super Sammy!
18-08-2010, 03:27 AM
My life has just been changed by those words.

:LOL:

_Ed_
18-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Boredly, I decided to Google image search "unfortunate tie."

http://rlv.zcache.com/the_unfortunate_turtle_tie-p151886626779519336td9w_210.jpg
I agree that this does indeed fit that description.

Why would anyone want to wear that?

And interestingly, that's a website that sells this tie. Even they acknowledge it's unfortunate!

Spy Fox
18-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Much time is spent walking, trekking, cycling, and sailing.

New Zealanders are direct and fairly relaxed in business, and they favor forthrightness over showmanship.

New Zealanders are not the same as Australians, although that may be the expectation.

New Zealand people are very receptive to new ideas and to travelers from around the world. The multicultural environment welcomes and assimilates foreigners with ease.

darkshineskitty
19-08-2010, 02:55 AM
It sounds similar to Otago, you could graduate in December or April. So you'd have to graduate in September in absentia if you didn't plan to be there or apply to graduate in May the next year. I had the choice to graduate in December a month after I finished Uni with no friends around, or graduate in April not knowing whether I'd do postgrad at Vic or be living somewhere else. I did December, it was a pretty non event.

Well ideally I would be there in May, but it just seems strange to graduate before the semester is over? :erm:

Otherwise it would probably be September in absentia. A lot of my friends are graduating this year, so I'll probably be graduating by myself anyway.

_Ed_
19-08-2010, 03:49 AM
Well ideally I would be there in May, but it just seems strange to graduate before the semester is over? :erm:
The May one is for people who finish in second semester the previous year. The September one is for first semester finishers.

Sounds hard to believe, but it really does take that long - you have to apply to graduate, etc... :rolleyes:

Ghosty Ghost
19-08-2010, 07:59 AM
I found this (http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL1008/S00129/govts-imminent-alcohol-decisions-are-predictable.htm) article about NZ's current alcohol climate interesting, I hadn't followed the proposed changes that are going on. What do you all think of the issue?

_Ed_
19-08-2010, 09:16 AM
I think education is the biggest issue. Apparently the schoolkid who died had no idea how powerful vodka was and had a whole bottle. That's pretty mortifying.

_Ed_
19-08-2010, 10:22 AM
http://pleatedjeans.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/tin-foil-hat.jpg?w=280&h=370

darkshineskitty
19-08-2010, 11:54 AM
The May one is for people who finish in second semester the previous year. The September one is for first semester finishers.

Sounds hard to believe, but it really does take that long - you have to apply to graduate, etc... :rolleyes:

Oh so it will be in September anyway. That's actually good, because I'd like to have a New Zealand summer too :happy:

_Ed_
19-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Our summers are rather awesome. :yesey:

_Ed_
19-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Laughed at this.
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2062/inceptiondeeper481x800.jpg

JoBear
19-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I found this (http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL1008/S00129/govts-imminent-alcohol-decisions-are-predictable.htm) article about NZ's current alcohol climate interesting, I hadn't followed the proposed changes that are going on. What do you all think of the issue?
Limiting the sale of alcohol to licensed stores would do very little. I grew up in Invercargill where you can't buy alcohol anywhere but ILT stores (so it is generally a lot more expensive then anywhere else in the country as it's a monopoly) and the drinking culture was not any different to anywhere else I've lived.

And then from my experience in working in insurance, putting the alcohol limit to zero or lower than it already is for drink driving will do fuck all either. The recidivists are blowing ridiculous amounts and while they might get caught, all that happens is they get slapped over the wrist. In Invercargill, drunk driving is very common, when I go home and read the paper I will usually recognise a name from my school in the court pages for that. Then, the worse part is very little happens to you if you drink drive and kill someone. Case at hand just very recently: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/4032214/Deadly-drink-driver-avoids-jail

8 months home detention for killing someone?! And she is guaranteed to drive on her disqualification.

Her father was in the paper saying that the drinking culture was to blame, not his daughter so no one ever takes responsibility for their problem. People paint it as a collective problem that they can't change as one person. Another recent one who blame their daughter's drunk driving death on everyone but her: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10666344

She was onto her fourth conviction!

_Ed_
21-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Wobble.

Because of a misunderstanding over a shift swap, I went to work when I wasn't rostered on on Thursday. :facepalm:

MistressMary
21-08-2010, 06:00 AM
*pats* there there, it'll be alright :)

I'm having a choc bar. Mmmm... They are yumo!

I don't think I will go to the graduation ceremony when I graduate... Did any of you enjoy yours ?

JoBear
21-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Mine was alright that my older brother was graduating at the same time and thus sitting beside me and making humourous comments. But as I said, it was December in Dunedin and no one is around. The place becomes a ghost town. And then I was working ridiculous shifts at Briscoes around it so I was exhausted.

Whenever I finish my postgrad qualification (assuming I will when I go home) I think it'd be better.

Spy Fox
21-08-2010, 09:25 AM
How long are the graduation ceremonies?

JoBear
21-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Mine was about 2 - 3 hours. I went to Oren's as well and that at least 2 as well. You get your 2 seconds of fame then have to sit through everybody elses.

Spy Fox
21-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Mine was about 2 - 3 hours. I went to Oren's as well and that at least 2 as well. You get your 2 seconds of fame then have to sit through everybody elses.
That's a long time to be sitting. :erm: How long are the actual presentations compared to speeches, etc?

JoBear
21-08-2010, 09:33 AM
depends how they lump together the qualifications i guess. of course mine being a BA, everyone was getting them.

_Ed_
21-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Felt sorry for the PhD people at mine. There were like four of them, they went first, and then they had to sit through two hours of BAs!

A bar we went to tonight had cheerios on their snack menu. CHEERIOS! Best option for slightly drunk people ever. Our consensus was "FUCKING CHEERIOS!" And they were delicious. :happy:

_Ed_
21-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Good lord, Australia's not really electing Abbott, are they? REALLY?!

JoBear
21-08-2010, 01:31 PM
did they come with tomato sauce?

_Ed_
21-08-2010, 01:33 PM
They most certainly did. I was impressed.

We ended up having more than one serving.

JoBear
21-08-2010, 01:35 PM
i want cheerios now. :(

did you ever try the purple honey ones? they were horrible. it was like a normal cherrio with a honey aftertaste.

hypermusic
21-08-2010, 01:36 PM
I miss new zealand :(

_Ed_
21-08-2010, 01:38 PM
i want cheerios now. :(

did you ever try the purple honey ones? they were horrible. it was like a normal cherrio with a honey aftertaste.
I never did try them. I don't think I've ever actually eaten anything purple. Something just seems not right about that colour.

JoBear
I have to say I don't miss New Zealand. Which to me, is really unusual and a hard thing to accept. Compared to when I was out here last, I just wanted to go home and hated England.

But...I'm just so disappointed in New Zealand at the moment. It doesn't feel like the place I fell in love with. Haha, it's like a relationship, I feel we need some proper time apart so when we get back together I can really appreciate it again and fall in love all over again.

_Ed_
Have you spent some time living here? Where are you now?

hypermusic
21-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Have you spent some time living here? Where are you now?

I'm english but lived in NZ for the first 8 years of my life. Mission bay near auckland if anyone knows it. Haven't been back in so long :(

_Ed_
21-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm english but lived in NZ for the first 8 years of my life. Mission bay near auckland if anyone knows it. Haven't been back in so long :(
Mission Bay is lovely. :)

Went to a party in Panmure last weekend and drove back home along Tamaki Drive.

JoBear
My workmate whose Irish lived in Brisbane for just under a year and said she never went to New Zealand as someone told her it was a 5 hour flight. :LOL:

_Ed_
My workmate whose Irish lived in Brisbane for just under a year and said she never went to New Zealand as someone told her it was a 5 hour flight. :LOL:
Fuck, that's more than one movie!

hypermusic
21-08-2010, 01:42 PM

hypermusic
21-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Mission Bay is lovely. :)

Went to a party in Panmure last weekend and drove back home along Tamaki Drive.

I think I left at the time One tree hill became no tree hill

_Ed_
21-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I think I left at the time One tree hill became no tree hill
Emotional times.

There's still no tree, by the way.

hypermusic
21-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Emotional times.

There's still no tree, by the way.

Makes me sad. My sister (who is a kiwi) went back last year for a 6 week holiday and is now working in Christchurch. I'm so jealous.

Davinq
21-08-2010, 06:22 PM

This. :(

Me Rug I Sty
21-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Does anyone here have Twitter?
If so, does it cost to get updates if you're on xt?

_Ed_
22-08-2010, 04:29 AM
I can't say I'm a Twitterer...or twit, for short.

Just had an awkward moment. I was out for a walk in the sun in my break, listening to music, when I walked past someone who I thought was talking to me, but naturally I didn't hear. So I removed my headphones and said, "Sorry?" It turned out she wasn't talking to me at all, but to her son, who was standing behind her. :$

But I don't think it was unreasonable to think she was talking to me. She was looking directly at me, making eye contact, and walking towards me. Who does this while talking to someone else? And she was holding a camera, so I thought she was asking me to take a photo of her or something.

darkshineskitty
22-08-2010, 04:37 AM
Hey Moas. I haven't been in this thread for a while. Been too allured by the glitz and glamour of Banter :noey:

I don't have a Twitter, but I do follow Neil Patrick Harris via RSS feed.

Just had an awkward moment. I was out for a walk in the sun in my break, listening to music, when I walked past someone who I thought was talking to me, but naturally I didn't hear. So I removed my headphones and said, "Sorry?" It turned out she wasn't talking to me at all, but to her son, who was standing behind her. :$

But I don't think it was unreasonable to think she was talking to me. She was looking directly at me, making eye contact, and walking towards me. Who does this while talking to someone else? And she was holding a camera, so I thought she was asking me to take a photo of her or something.

At least you stopped to ask, in case she actually had been talking to you. I probably would have just kept going.

_Ed_
22-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Hey Moas. I haven't been in this thread for a while. Been too allured by the glitz and glamour of Banter :noey:
:eek:
I consider this an affront. Either that, or I just wanted to slip that word into a conversation. Hard to tell those apart sometimes.

At least you stopped to ask, in case she actually had been talking to you. I probably would have just kept going.
Wish I hadn't now, though. She reacted like I was being rude.

darkshineskitty
22-08-2010, 05:02 AM
Wish I hadn't now, though. She reacted like I was being rude.

Well she was wrong :phu:

I'm off to catch up on This Is Not My Life :happy:

Super Sammy!
22-08-2010, 05:05 AM

Oh my word, those ones were truly terrible. :stunned: I really fail to understand how things like that manage to get sold in shops :LOL:

I have to say I don't miss New Zealand. Which to me, is really unusual and a hard thing to accept. Compared to when I was out here last, I just wanted to go home and hated England.

I hope that's not the case for me :(

_Ed_
22-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Oh my word, those ones were truly terrible. :stunned: I really fail to understand how things like that manage to get sold in shops :LOL:
And even before that, why they're made in the first place. "Well, people like the original...so they'll LOVE them in strange, unnatural and alarming colours and flavours!" There's just a slight flaw in that logic somewhere.

darkshineskitty
22-08-2010, 05:12 AM
TVNZ On Demand is being useless :indiff:

Me Rug I Sty
22-08-2010, 06:00 AM

I don't have a Twitter, but I do follow Neil Patrick Harris via RSS feed.
I don't use it for "social networking reasons" (I delayed getting it for the same reason I don't have FB).:p But I found it's a good way to keep in touch with musicians...
I guess I could just use a RSS...

_Ed_
22-08-2010, 06:44 AM
TVNZ On Demand is being useless :indiff:
You don't have to put the word 'being' in there. :ninja:

Ooh, own-employer-burn.

*a posse of imposing uniformed men wanders past, glancing at me menacingly*

Have I mentioned that TVNZ inspires New Zealanders on every screen? :unsure:

Spy Fox
22-08-2010, 06:49 AM
:LOL: It's on the internet now, it can never disappear!

_Ed_
22-08-2010, 11:28 AM
There's something wrong about Troy featuring in Sky's ad for their Sky Movies Greats channel. Troy = great? :erm:

darkshineskitty
23-08-2010, 11:32 AM
They finally replaced nDeva. Now its Student Services Online. Not quite as catchy.
Its pretty flash though- lets you view your timetable in a schedule format, and do other stuff without having to sign in. Seems to be running on Javascript or Flash though, which means I bet it will be a bitch to sign into when the internet is slow.

Edit: Also it appears there is no way to sign out. Interesting.

_Ed_
23-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Sounds interesting and probably a huge improvement. The inability to sign out is quite a setback, though - wouldn't want to use it on a uni computer. :erm:

But you've made me curious, so I'll have a wee look around it myself.

_Ed_
23-08-2010, 12:52 PM
That hostage situation in the Philippines is fucked up. I've been watching it on TV live for a little while. It was a bit of a shock to see a dead body hanging out of the bus.

It looks like people are coming off the bus now though, so maybe the ordeal is finally ending for those poor people.

There's speculation that the body we saw might have been the hijacker himself.

_Ed_
23-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Shit, the number of people who got off was considerably lower than the number of hostages reportedly on the bus. :(

JoBear
23-08-2010, 08:17 PM
I was at the gym tonight and Sky News had this as the second story -- to Tiger Wood's divorce.

_Ed_
24-08-2010, 01:36 AM
Honestly? On the day that you had the hostage situation, the miners in Chile turning out to be alive and well, the Pakistan floods, post-election negotiations in Australia...

That's horrendous.

darkshineskitty
24-08-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm really feeling that 'This is Not My Life' show atm. Does anyone here watch it? The production values are really high, and the plot is super engaging. Way to go TVNZ for actually broadcasting something New Zealand made and worthwhile for once!

_Ed_
25-08-2010, 06:40 AM
Yeah, it's really good.

Quite a lot of good stuff on TV at the moment - not a NZ show, but I'm loving Castle. Intriguing and hilarious.

darkshineskitty
25-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Quite a lot of good stuff on TV at the moment - not a NZ show, but I'm loving Castle. Intriguing and hilarious.

Nathan Fillion is <3

_Ed_
26-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Why the fuck have U2 chosen Jay Z to support them in their NZ show? Do they choose completely incongruous support acts just to say to everyone, "Hey, look our diverse our musical taste is!" More diverse than their own musical range, I suppose.

But honestly, how many U2 fans like Jay Z? And vice versa? Since the tickets are quite cheap, I wouldn't be surprised if heaps of people got tickets just to see Jay Z and then fucked off. I'd get some satisfaction if that happened and the stadium emptied out a bit.

Ghosty Ghost
26-08-2010, 09:07 AM
S'what I'd do! But really I don't think it's that weird of a combination, Jay is known for having one of the most amazing stadium shows and I think if you get a lesser act for a show like that they can get a bit lost in such a huge setting. Remember U2 had Kanye opening last time they were here, so that must have gone well enough for them to do something similar.

_Ed_
26-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I guess. Not sure why Jay would want to support them, though. Surely he's a bit past doing support slots. He could probably sell the place out himself.

Ghosty Ghost
26-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Wait it just clicked, they must be planning to recreate this awkward shitshow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi6CgFBNZBg

Warning, contains rapping Bono.

_Ed_
26-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Watching that made me exceedingly uncomfortable.

Davinq
27-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Get to stay in New Zealand next winter for FOUR WEEKS this time, instead of the usual two that my dad can get off work. More independence = win + more time with family. :awesome:

_Ed_
27-08-2010, 02:16 AM
:awesome:
Whereabouts in NZ?

Davinq
27-08-2010, 05:21 AM
Whereabouts in NZ?

My family all lives on the North Island (Hamilton, Tauranga, and Waihi), but I'm considering doing the Kiwi Experience with an American mate of mine. Is that too touristy, or do other Kiwis do it too? It's been over a decade since I actually lived down there, and it will be another decade before I do again since I have to do uni in the states. :indiff: :rolleyes:

_Ed_
27-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Nah, that sounds like lots of fun. :)

Davinq
27-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Now I've got to make the money. Airfare and the first two weeks are covered by my family, but after that it's out of my pocket. :indiff:

JoBear
27-08-2010, 09:55 PM
from what i saw, kiwi experience is quite expensive. i was looking at UK STA travel and couldn't believe the price of bus passes for intercity!

Spy Fox
28-08-2010, 12:51 AM
I had an awesome time at the Vic Open Day yesterday :awesome:

Psychology looks reaaaaaally good, and the Philosophy lecturer was hilarious.

_Ed_
28-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Unfortunately, the lecturer hilarity doesn't usually last.

They must use up all their material by the end of O Week.

Ghosty Ghost
28-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Damn name changes :indiff:

_Ed_
29-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Yeah it threw me as well!

*sigh* This is not the best way to start a shift at work. My first show to work on is titled 'Extreme Male Beauty'. Now, I know it's wrong to judge something by its title, but I just get the feeling this might not be my cup of tea.

_Ed_
29-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Good lord, there's penis footage!

_Ed_
29-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Anyone who reads that post before the previous one could be a bit baffled.

darkshineskitty
29-08-2010, 03:22 AM
:LOL: Richard

_Ed_
29-08-2010, 02:30 PM
http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/man-didn-t-know-bullet-in-his-head-3735415 :stunned:

_Ed_
30-08-2010, 03:37 AM
My work isn't much better today - a documentary called The 200kg Kid.

Shwissky
30-08-2010, 10:00 AM
So U2 can bring like the biggest set ever built over to NZ for just one show, but Muse can even bring there little towers over for a couple of shows?

JoBear
30-08-2010, 10:02 AM
And how much do U2 sell their tickets for?

Don't think U2 and Muse are at all comparable.

Muse lost money on their 2004 show just coming to New Zealand.

darkshineskitty
31-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Can they stop playing those fucking Otago uni ads already? Its bad enough that there's like 3 different versions, but gah they're so long. No one is going to your university based on that shitty ad! :mad:

_Ed_
31-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Not as shitty as the ones about diarrhoea. HAHA get it?

:$

_Ed_
31-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm looking for ways to ease my stress during my Masters. I've already decided to play a bit of golf and/or have a crack at surfing this summer, but today I decided it might be fun to take a break from thesisage from time to time to work on a preposterous crime novel.

There's a 99% chance I won't finish it.

The working title is Underwater Serial Killer, and the main detective shall be named Humbario Prilslo Bailey (an anagram of 'hilariously improbable').

darkshineskitty
31-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Sounds brilliant Richard :happy:

_Ed_
31-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks! :) I doubt I'll really get anywhere with it, but I think it'll be fun, and the random, inexplicable surge of inspiration this evening felt good. :happy: I've spent the last few hours coming up with anagram names for other characters - up to six in total now!

How's uni been for you so far this semester?

_Ed_
01-09-2010, 06:23 AM
I hate how people at uni don't communicate with each other. I went to the Arts Students Centre today to ask why my online application for Masters hasn't been accepted yet. They said I needed to talk to the Postgraduate Adviser first.

I emailed the Postgraduate Adviser. She said I only needed to do an online application. :facepalm:

Michelle
01-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Ah, the weather was so nice today. Had a nice walk around the island and been helping out with takahe drama. A new takahe was released here which disturbed the balance causing fighting and what not.

_Ed_
01-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Yeah the weather was so lovely today! Sounds like a bit of drama.

I laughed at the NZ Herald this morning. A story about how when John Key rings President Obama, he answers the phone. :LOL: Special relationship, that.

darkshineskitty
01-09-2010, 09:37 AM
I just started watching that 'Extreme Male Beauty' special after Richard mentioned it, and I don't know whether I can watch the rest :LOL: They're really not... I mean they... well its... they're certainly very blunt about the subject! :LOL:

darkshineskitty
01-09-2010, 10:01 AM
I have to wonder how seriously this reporter is taking this issue, since he just said to a surgeon: 'does this mean that if enlargements go wrong, you have to fix those cock-ups?'

_Ed_
01-09-2010, 10:04 AM
They're really not... I mean they... well its... they're certainly very blunt about the subject! :LOL:
That's perfectly put!

he just said to a surgeon: 'does this mean that if enlargements go wrong, you have to fix those cock-ups?'

darkshineskitty
01-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Its very upfront about WOAH HEY MOTHER HAS COME UPSTAIRS LETS SEE WHATS ON PRIME

_Ed_
01-09-2010, 10:23 AM
It's very appropriate that 'Extreme' is in the title. Nothing less would really have sufficed.

I witnessed an awkward situation on the bus this afternoon. A guy got on, and some other guy who appears to be his friend called out to him. The guy didn't notice. The friend then got out his phone and presumably sent the guy a text. The guy didn't check his phone. You could tell now that he'd realised that too much time had elapsed for him to get out of his seat and go and sit next to the guy. He clearly had no idea what to do in this situation. He didn't end up talking to him until everyone got off the bus in town.

darkshineskitty
01-09-2010, 10:27 AM
It's very appropriate that 'Extreme' is in the title. Nothing less would really have sufficed.

I witnessed an awkward situation on the bus this afternoon. A guy got on, and some other guy who appears to be his friend called out to him. The guy didn't notice. The friend then got out his phone and presumably sent the guy a text. The guy didn't check his phone. You could tell now that he'd realised that too much time had elapsed for him to get out of his seat and go and sit next to the guy. He clearly had no idea what to do in this situation. He didn't end up talking to him until everyone got off the bus in town.

Oh that is awkward.

This show is a series!? :stunned:

_Ed_
01-09-2010, 10:28 AM
It most certainly is a series. One hour of that is nowhere near enough.

darkshineskitty
01-09-2010, 10:31 AM
It most certainly is a series. One hour of that is nowhere near enough.

Apparently not.

Aw Daily Show reruns.

_Ed_
01-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah, they're basking in the glory of Emmy success. Can't blame them, I guess.

darkshineskitty
01-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Yeah, they're basking in the glory of Emmy success. Can't blame them, I guess.

No I suppose not. But now I feel so uninformed!

_Ed_
01-09-2010, 03:34 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LeLJ4.jpg

_Ed_
02-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Funny John Key said today that NZ won't become a republic while he's prime minister. Recall him saying during the election campaign that NZ becoming a republic was "inevitable" and something he would look at if we voted for him.

JoBear
02-09-2010, 09:19 PM
i wonder where john key is in this video that he has that picture on his wall

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/bucjo/keypicture.jpg

_Ed_
03-09-2010, 02:38 AM
Who puts a picture of themselves on their wall? Unless it's for graduation, or with family, etc.

_Ed_
03-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Hey, Moas, could you try to answer something for me? I came across this graph while doing research for uni. It's not essential to my thesis to know the answer, but it's got me flummoxed.
http://i51.tinypic.com/w39xd.jpg
What could 'other' mean? :erm:

The only real possibility I can think of is kayaking, but that's a pretty big chunk for Sydney. Almost as many people as walk/cycle! Surely not that many kayak.

Spy Fox
03-09-2010, 04:29 AM
Carpool? Don't know if that'd come under 'Car' though. Quite a pickle.

_Ed_
03-09-2010, 04:34 AM
That's a good one, but yeah, I think it might come under car. The only reason I say that is because quite a few people carpool in Auckland, and 'other' doesn't register at all on its graph.

Spy Fox
03-09-2010, 04:37 AM
That's true. Hmmm.... Motorbike, Skateboard, Spaceship?

_Ed_
03-09-2010, 04:49 AM
All solid suggestions. Perhaps horses. I can picture it now - hundreds of men in fancy suits heading into the Sydney CBD aboard their noble steeds.

Right, I've been cooped up in the uni lab long enough. I'm off for a walk, then the pub. But I'll probably keep thinking about this conundrum all night.

Spy Fox
03-09-2010, 04:52 AM
Sounds like a plan.

That'll be me one day, toiling all day and night to get a thesis done. Sigh.

Halls of Residence next year though :awesome:

Michelle
03-09-2010, 05:50 AM
http://i.imgur.com/LeLJ4.jpg

Bahaha, that is top notch :LOL:

darkshineskitty
03-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Hey, Moas, could you try to answer something for me? I came across this graph while doing research for uni. It's not essential to my thesis to know the answer, but it's got me flummoxed.
What could 'other' mean? :erm:

The only real possibility I can think of is kayaking, but that's a pretty big chunk for Sydney. Almost as many people as walk/cycle! Surely not that many kayak.

Train?
Boat? (as in, ferry)

lensip max
03-09-2010, 01:48 PM
What could 'other' mean? :erm:The answer is thestrals.

darkshineskitty
03-09-2010, 01:48 PM
The answer is thestrals.

The answer is SO Thestrals! :awesome:

lensip max
03-09-2010, 01:50 PM
The answer is SO Thestrals! :awesome::yesey:

It's the most logical solution.

darkshineskitty
03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
:yesey:

It's the most logical solution.

That or PORTKEYS

lensip max
03-09-2010, 02:07 PM
That or PORTKEYS:eek:

DISAPPARATION!

Ghosty Ghost
03-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Taxi?

JoBear
03-09-2010, 05:11 PM
hope everyone's alright! sounds like a big earthquake NZ just had.

_Ed_
04-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Yeah, 7.1 in Christchurch. Amazing that no one was killed and only two were seriously injured - there's some huge damage, particularly in the CBD.

darkshineskitty
04-09-2010, 02:38 AM
Boy am I oblivious! I didn't even know anything had happened!

_Ed_
04-09-2010, 03:18 AM
And now nine people have died in a plane crash at Fox Glacier. :( It's not really being given much media coverage, but nine deaths is fucking awful.

Super Sammy!
04-09-2010, 06:43 AM
It's really been a bad day for New Zealand :( now the North Island needs to prepare for their earthquake if history is anything to say, Wellington is meant to have a huge earthquake and that's about 150 years overdue...

Michelle
04-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Wow, what a sad day for so many people :( I was suppose to go home today but too windy and rough for the ferry to come. The wind was bad last night, it shook the house quite a bit.

JoBear
04-09-2010, 09:44 AM
the videos really hit home today. in a way i feel like i should be there as i have all this insurance experience going to waste. i really want to know my old work in the CBD is okay.

just makes me feel sick. doesn't seem real but these are all the places i walked past everyday to work. and it really reminds me just how far away i am from home and just how close this was to killing people had this happened during the day.

new zealand has always got to prepare for an earthquake, i think this will be a big wakeup call for people to prepare. oren and i had we still lived in christchurch probably would have had no food in the house!

lensip max
04-09-2010, 11:54 AM
It's really been a bad day for New Zealand :( now the North Island needs to prepare for their earthquake if history is anything to say, Wellington is meant to have a huge earthquake and that's about 150 years overdue...We last had a big earthquake in 1855.

It's the reason Wellington's actually a city because before that there wasn't enough flat land around the hills/cliffs/islands - the Te Aro flat, Lyall Bay and Kilbernie were all swamps/underwater.

I'm most worried about my cousin's house getting looted. It's huge and old and people have broken in a gazillion times over the years - and they've had to leave it because it's structurally unsound, being, y'know, made of bricks and concrete close to 200 years old. It's so sad, though. They worked so hard to afford that place and then restored it painstakingly over about 30 years. Ultimately, it is just a dwelling, though. Better bricks than bodies.

JoBear
04-09-2010, 12:17 PM
My friend got married last year at this church

http://www.zmonline.com/photogallery/earthquake/idir/pic22.jpg

When we went they were renovating and restoring it slowly. They're Coptic Christians so it's the only one in Christchurch as it's a very small minority religion (being most Egyptians are Muslims).

:(

Davinq
04-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Got a text from a mate about the quake yesterday and couldn't get a hold of any of my family until much later. Spooky. :supersad:

Did anybody here experience it?

JoBear
04-09-2010, 05:46 PM
most people in this thread are from the north island.

wonder how chris/cookie is?

lensip max
04-09-2010, 10:15 PM
My friend got married last year at this church

http://www.zmonline.com/photogallery/earthquake/idir/pic22.jpg

When we went they were renovating and restoring it slowly. They're Coptic Christians so it's the only one in Christchurch as it's a very small minority religion (being most Egyptians are Muslims).

:(That's so sad.

JoBear
04-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Chris emailed me - he is fine! :happy:

_Ed_
05-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Chris emailed me - he is fine! :happy:
That's good news.

Apparently people felt it as far north as New Plymouth! Although you sometimes wonder when people say that whether they're just going, "Yeah, me too!"

_Ed_
05-09-2010, 02:16 AM
Apparently there's a guy threatening to jump off the Sky Tower. :erm:

They've closed off an area just outside my work. Drama.

lensip max
05-09-2010, 02:34 AM

They've closed off an area just outside my work. Drama.Seriously? Why?

How did he get up there in the first place?

Watching apocalypse now and feeling sorry for myself today.

_Ed_
05-09-2010, 02:42 AM
It sounds like he paid to do the "sky walk" thing, but brought a knife with him and has been threatening to cut off his harness.

They say he has "mental health issues", possibly something to do with immigration. Hope they can get him down.

lensip max
05-09-2010, 02:48 AM
Srsly. Last year a guy committed suicide off the top of the apartment building in downtown Wgtn opposite our flat. It was awful.

darkshineskitty
05-09-2010, 03:34 AM
Good to hear everyone is doing okay. Jo made a really good point about the potential human cost had the quake occurred during daytime, although I imagine it was probably darn scary in the dark :stunned:

They've closed off an area just outside my work. Drama.

Woah, what?
Haven't heard about this.

Srsly. Last year a guy committed suicide off the top of the apartment building in downtown Wgtn opposite our flat. It was awful.

My sister's flatmate once was walking along in town somewhere and then literally right in front of him, someone hit the pavement. They had jumped from a building roof. That story always really amazes me. Apparently he was just kind of like 'er...' and went over to see if she was still alive or anything (I'm pretty sure she wasn't), but then other people came rushing over so he just left and went on his way.

_Ed_
05-09-2010, 03:55 AM
Woah, what?
Haven't heard about this.
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/drama-unfolding-top-sky-tower-3760842
It hasn't been updated for a while now, so I'm not sure what happened.

Federal Street and the whole entrance area of Skycity was all still closed off when I went for my lunch break walk about an hour ago.

_Ed_
05-09-2010, 04:34 AM
They talked him down. :happy:

It took four hours - that must have been pretty draining for the negotiators.

Spy Fox
05-09-2010, 08:00 AM
We last had a big earthquake in 1855.

It's the reason Wellington's actually a city because before that there wasn't enough flat land around the hills/cliffs/islands - the Te Aro flat, Lyall Bay and Kilbernie were all swamps/underwater.

Honestly the story of Napier too :LOL: Go New Zealand!

Sad news around the country. Good to know most people are fine though.

cookie
05-09-2010, 09:07 AM
you might like this link Jo. (http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html)
I feel guilty that i got off scott free when hundreds of homes are write offs. a lot of people are suffering right now. not a huge disaster but enough to turn a lot of people's lives upside down for months to come.
and the wind's starting to blow hard

darkshineskitty
05-09-2010, 09:44 AM
What an intense weekend. That Sky Tower story is pretty hard core. It says they had an ambulance on site- I understand that being there for the negotiators or people watching in the area, but for the guy, I think its probably a bit redundant.

It says they use metal detectors and pocket-less jumpsuits on the Sky Walk. How was he going to get out of the harness? :erm:

kinopus
05-09-2010, 10:37 AM
hope everyone from chch is all good on here. just checking in, house is fucked place next door fell down shit is pretty real right now. atleast no ones dead;)

MistressMary
05-09-2010, 11:05 AM
That sucks Nick! We're fine :) Lucky being on this side of CHCH. Glad to hear that others are ok too.

Michelle
05-09-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm glad to hear our Chch moas are fine too! Sorry about your house Nick, I hope getting things sorted out goes smoothly for you!

kinopus
05-09-2010, 11:21 AM
hopefully ay, just went outside and the footpath is leeking lol

JoBear
05-09-2010, 11:24 AM
it's going to be a bit of a problem insurance wise that both state and ami have their biggest offices in christchurch.

my old manager at AMI lives in brooklands and lost his restaurant and his house is badly damaged.

_Ed_
05-09-2010, 12:09 PM
There's a Muse gig on MTV at the moment. Missed the first 10 minutes, so I'm not sure yet where it is, but pretty sure Matt just said danke, so I'm guessing Germany.

It goes until 1am. Stockholm Syndrome at the moment.

darkshineskitty
05-09-2010, 12:18 PM
There's a Muse gig on MTV at the moment. Missed the first 10 minutes, so I'm not sure yet where it is, but pretty sure Matt just said danke, so I'm guessing Germany.

It goes until 1am. Stockholm Syndrome at the moment.

I'm way bored, so that would be a good thing to watch, but I just don't think I can be bothered sitting downstairs in the cold.

_Ed_
05-09-2010, 12:20 PM
That's fair enough. It's only Undisclosed Desires right now anyway.

JoBear
05-09-2010, 08:32 PM
anyone explain the tag "where's my benefit?" ...?

_Ed_
06-09-2010, 03:48 AM
I was wondering that myself.

Super Sammy!
06-09-2010, 04:05 AM
Floods galore where I am! There's about 7 ways out of my town, there's now only one way out :eek:

darkshineskitty
06-09-2010, 04:19 AM
No idea. Mine was 'yes it is its own country'

Floods galore where I am! There's about 7 ways out of my town, there's now only one way out :eek:

_Ed_
06-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Shit, really? That sounds dramatic. Hadn't heard anything about that.

darkshineskitty
06-09-2010, 06:00 AM
Just took another $100 out of my student loan to buy a book I'll only use once. Yay.

_Ed_
06-09-2010, 06:31 AM
What a great feeling that is!

darkshineskitty
06-09-2010, 06:39 AM
And now I'm annoyed because the cosplay coat I wanted to order is no longer listed on the site I was going to get it from. Even though I've had months in which to buy it, I just never got around to it. :facepalm:

Super Sammy!
06-09-2010, 06:46 AM

Shit, really? That sounds dramatic. Hadn't heard anything about that.

I think it's calmed down now, but Wanganui/Palmerston North area has been hit pretty bad, mainly because it's so hilly here. It's normally a 25 minute drive from here to Wanganui, it was going to take up to 3 hours apparently...

And now I'm annoyed because the cosplay coat I wanted to order is no longer listed on the site I was going to get it from. Even though I've had months in which to buy it, I just never got around to it. :facepalm:

My friends do cosplay! :awesome:

darkshineskitty
06-09-2010, 07:37 AM
My friends do cosplay! :awesome:

Who do they like to cosplay as/what show or series?

_Ed_
06-09-2010, 01:16 PM
This hunt for a thesis supervisor is being a bit of an epic struggle.

Of the two the postgraduate adviser suggested, the first said my topic wasn't really compatible with her area of expertise, and the other said "my general rule is to work with students who have previously taken one of my courses, because that indicates some commonality of interests."

I haven't taken any of his papers, so I'm guessing he won't be willing to supervise me.

I think that's a pretty flimsy reason not to supervise someone.

He has the sort of thing my thesis is about listed in his areas of expertise on the Politics website. He didn't offer any courses about that stuff, and his other courses were on very different subject matters (think tanks and lobby groups, if I remember right). I don't see how the fact that I'm not hugely interested in those things magically means we won't be able to work together and makes him unable to offer help as I write a thesis that fits within a field he claims to have expertise in.

And on top of that, you don't always get to choose your papers simply on the basis of what your interests are. It's not a good guide to who has "commonality of interests."

:indiff:
This is the closest I've been to angry since I paid to see the film Cabin Fever.

It's almost as if they don't want people to pay exorbitant amounts to do Masters.

darkshineskitty
06-09-2010, 01:48 PM
You should tell him all that! :LOL:

_Ed_
06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
...maybe not. I guess I'll just find someone else. I know there are some that won't have the expertise in the field but are awesome and very easy to get along with. Think I'd rather work with one of those.

darkshineskitty
06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=314955973

_Ed_
06-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Haha, that is awesome.

How's your day been?

JoBear
06-09-2010, 04:15 PM
haha cabin fever.

JoBear
06-09-2010, 08:25 PM
On the waterfront, the Muddy Puddle Restaurant and Bar has been torn asunder and half of it is falling into the lagoon.

You can see the lagoon through a 30cm crack between the restaurant and the car park.

"There is a good chance of it falling in the water.

"That gap started at 6mm just after the quake.

"All the cracks in the building and the car park are getting wider every day," said owner Debbie Riley, whose parents Alistair and Pat Jones, of Oamaru, built the bar 25 years ago.

She and husband Kevin have been staying in the city with friends since the quake.

Their house is uninhabitable.

"I'm homeless and jobless. We pretty much lost everything in a couple of minutes of shaking.

"We haven't got a lot of homes down or anything, but we have actually got a lot of really serious problems," Ms Riley said.

"We've had Bob Parker out here today [during his mayoral tour of fire brigades]. They're getting it now I think."

The biggest issue now was what they should do, she said.

Her main concern was rain, which would get in through the cracks and could wash away the clay base on which the entire structure was built.

"And she's [the building's] already on the move."

:supersad: Kevin was one of my bosses at Papanui. We had a christmas party out at his in 2008. He's wanted to sell the restaurant for the last 4 years as it was worth about a million dollars and retire to Australia...

lensip max
06-09-2010, 09:57 PM
And now I'm annoyed because the cosplay coat I wanted to order is no longer listed on the site I was going to get it from. Even though I've had months in which to buy it, I just never got around to it. :facepalm:Aww!

I've been staring at this topshop dress on their site for the past few days in preparation for this friday, when I get paid, and would have been able to order it ($79, including shipping)

It's sold out as of this morning :'(

:supersad: Kevin was one of my bosses at Papanui. We had a christmas party out at his in 2008. He's wanted to sell the restaurant for the last 4 years as it was worth about a million dollars and retire to Australia...:supersad:

I've got laryngitis, I think. Don't actually know though, because I'm too poor to go to the doctor. Life fails.

_Ed_
07-09-2010, 02:13 AM
:supersad: Kevin was one of my bosses at Papanui. We had a christmas party out at his in 2008. He's wanted to sell the restaurant for the last 4 years as it was worth about a million dollars and retire to Australia...
That's awful. :(

I've got laryngitis, I think. Don't actually know though, because I'm too poor to go to the doctor. Life fails.
That's no good! Hope you feel heaps better soon.

_Ed_
07-09-2010, 02:15 AM
This made me laugh:
http://coolmaterial.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/history-facebook-updates.jpg

Michelle
07-09-2010, 03:40 AM
...maybe not. I guess I'll just find someone else. I know there are some that won't have the expertise in the field but are awesome and very easy to get along with. Think I'd rather work with one of those.

That's a shame about him not wanting to take you, but you might end up better off with a supervisor who you get along with and wants to help you rather than someone who isn't willing to help any student even in their subject area!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=314955973

:LOL: That's cute.

Hope you feel better soon too!

My asthma hasn't been that great today, think I'll wait another week or two before deciding to go to Dr again about getting a different preventative.

This made me laugh:
http://coolmaterial.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/history-facebook-updates.jpg

:chuckle:

darkshineskitty
07-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Haha, that is awesome.

How's your day been?

Sorry Rich, I went to bed :chuckle:

:supersad: that is so unfortunate.

Aww!

I've been staring at this topshop dress on their site for the past few days in preparation for this friday, when I get paid, and would have been able to order it ($79, including shipping)

It's sold out as of this morning :'(

Ahh, Murphey's Law! :( There's a topshop in Auckland somewhere- you could ask if they have one. Or maybe it will come back in stock if they're that popular.

JoBear
07-09-2010, 07:03 AM
now i found out this morning one of the managers had a heartattack too.

_Ed_
07-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Sorry to hear that.

_Ed_
07-09-2010, 01:29 PM
I've spent this evening watching Muse's gig at the Astoria in January 2000. It's been ages since I last watched it. Fucking awesome. Forgot how good it was. Matt's a bit of a dork in it - getting tangled in his guitar cable, inexplicably introducing Muscle Museum in German, saying "thank you" in falsetto, etc. :chuckle:

If you haven't seen it, you can find them all here (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C8CE8C5E32524E67&playnext=1&v=Vynr2DPWQ4g). Very highly recommended. :yesey:

JoBear
07-09-2010, 08:54 PM
http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

this is really interesting, makes you realise just how awful it must be for everyone. most people i've talked to are having minimal sleep.

cookie
08-09-2010, 07:52 AM
i remember alistair jones, we lived in brooklands for a few years. that restaurant had a great view

cookie
08-09-2010, 07:54 AM
i dont like the way the aftershocks have been homing in on the city recently

_Ed_
09-09-2010, 02:30 AM
The aftershocks must be bloody scary. I've only ever felt one tiny earthquake in my life, so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I've heard that when aftershocks start you don't have any idea how big they're going to be. That uncertainty must be awful.

_Ed_
09-09-2010, 03:59 AM
There's a story on the news lineup called 'lols'. I thought it might be hilarious.

Unfortunately, it's a serious story from the reporter Lorelei Mason. I guess lols is her nickname. I'm deeply disappointed.

_Ed_
09-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Just heard there's been a quake in Hawke's Bay today. Hope it hasn't done any damage.

Spy Fox
09-09-2010, 05:00 AM
5.3 I think someone said. Shook the house for ten seconds. I don't think there's any damage. Not in the neighbourhood anyway.

cookie
09-09-2010, 07:23 AM
today wasn't too bad for aftershocks.
i dont think I've ever made it right through one of Lorelei Mason's riveting reports.

_Ed_
10-09-2010, 03:53 AM
Apparently John Key said he was concerned about "loss of lice". I wonder if those concerns were well founded.

Davinq
10-09-2010, 10:51 PM
:wtf:

hypermusic
11-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Hope my sister is coping with the aftershocks alright :(

_Ed_
12-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Looks a bit like the people at the first night at Wembley got the rough end of the stick. The second night got Bliss instead of Neutron Star Collision...that's got to hurt!

_Ed_
12-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Looks a bit like the people at the first night at Wembley got the rough end of the stick. The second night got Bliss instead of Neutron Star Collision...that's got to hurt!

darkshineskitty
12-09-2010, 05:21 AM
I can't believe they actually played NSC. And over Bliss? BLISS!? That shit is not cool.

Mum got a Woman's Day magazine the other day with Kate Hudson and Bells in it, riding bikes somewhere. I lol'd.

_Ed_
12-09-2010, 05:29 AM
I think Jo showed me some of those pictures a few days ago. Kate's got Matt carrying her large and cumbersome handbag. :noey:

darkshineskitty
12-09-2010, 05:33 AM
I think Jo showed me some of those pictures a few days ago. Kate's got Matt carrying her large and cumbersome handbag. :noey:

Oh those must have been different ones :chuckle:

Spy Fox
12-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Second night got CE as well.

Howdy Moas!

_Ed_
12-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Gidday! Any more earthquakes in your part of the world? Three last week must have been a bit unpleasant.

I see the second night also had MK Ultra instead of New Born. I'd probably prefer that too, considering how half-arsed New Born has become this tour.

Oh those must have been different ones :chuckle:
The thought that they may have gone on more than one embarrassing cycling outing mortifies me.

Spy Fox
12-09-2010, 07:01 AM
I only felt the one earthquake out of them all. The biggest, mind you. Everyone keeps talking about how overdue Wellington is for an Earthquake, though.

Apparently MK was quite good as well. Seeing it's one of the songs that is favoured by the people on here. New Born used to be so good live too :(

Spy Fox
12-09-2010, 07:01 AM
I only felt the one earthquake out of them all. The biggest, mind you. Everyone keeps talking about how overdue Wellington is for an Earthquake, though.

Apparently MK was quite good as well. Seeing it's one of the songs that is favoured by the people on here. New Born used to be so good live too :(

_Ed_
12-09-2010, 07:37 AM
I used to love that pause between the piano bit and the riff. I remember in the Auckland gig in 2007, Matt kept us waiting for what felt like a minute, gesturing to the crowd to make more and more noise. So awesome.

_Ed_
12-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Finally got around to watching (500) Days of Summer tonight. :happy: Excellent movie, although it had a bit of a bleak patch. Awesome ending, though.

darkshineskitty
12-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Finally got around to watching (500) Days of Summer tonight. :happy: Excellent movie, although it had a bit of a bleak patch. Awesome ending, though.

Awesome movie! I love the cinematography in it, and the characters are great.

_Ed_
13-09-2010, 02:14 AM
I have a supervisor! :awesome: That was an ordeal.

_Ed_
13-09-2010, 02:58 AM
But he strongly recommended I use a book that's only available by paying US$60 for it online (plus the fastest shipping option). :( At least tomorrow is pay day.

_Ed_
13-09-2010, 09:03 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/4124683/ACT-MP-David-Garrett-has-assault-conviction

David Garrett, the ACT MP pushing for the get-tough-on-crime three strikes legislation, has a conviction for assault.

Fuck I hope he gets another two. That would be the most hilarious thing.

JoBear
13-09-2010, 01:21 PM
been away all weekend at a festival, got told how cheesy friday night setlist was for muse and how great apparently the saturday one. had a look at them both...saturday one is not much better at all. i guess if you set the bar low the first night...

_Ed_
13-09-2010, 01:26 PM
How was the festival?

JoBear
13-09-2010, 01:41 PM
it was really good. it was really laidback but also really organised. so much amazing and good value food. and of course, all the bands we saw were pretty good.

it rained on friday night and on saturday but otherwise the weather was pretty good to us.

_Ed_
14-09-2010, 01:54 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_R6JL1J_O4rw/SfGj3zzXF1I/AAAAAAAAAeI/ve2M23MfUSE/s400/Moonface02_the_Faraway_Tree_Blyton.jpg
:erm:
The books I read when I was little are bloody disturbing.

_Ed_
14-09-2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.geekologie.com/2010/09/how_to_not_fire_a_watermelon_o.php :LOL:

TomIPT
15-09-2010, 01:10 AM
wow I haven't been on here for a while, how are things going?

Have been doing some live visuals for my mates bands recently, pretty rushed last minute jobs at the moment but adds a bit more to the gigs, taking some inspiration from Muse's visuals of course.

Few vids on youtube if anyone is interested http://www.youtube.com/user/Tomipt

Few Pics

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs318.ash2/59853_425707401887_42874996887_4925868_4946073_n.j pg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs321.ash2/60097_438288182070_340286022070_4927776_4328521_n. jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs661.snc4/60097_438288197070_340286022070_4927779_2316881_n. jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs324.ash2/60446_425707666887_42874996887_4925879_7050910_n.j pg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs670.snc4/61041_438288487070_340286022070_4927788_4931420_n. jpg

_Ed_
15-09-2010, 02:42 AM
Those look absolutely awesome!

Things are good for me - but busy with uni. Can't believe it's almost time for the BDO announcements again. Where did the year go?

How have things been with you?

TomIPT
15-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Yeah pretty good, I agree about the year, it has just vanished. Some good gigs coming up too and summer soon, haven't had a good summer in years, bring it on! :)

_Ed_
16-09-2010, 04:15 AM
http://tvnz.co.nz/politics-news/sensible-sentencing-trust-defends-garrett-3782605

This just gets better and better.

"Garrett yesterday admitted to using a dead baby's identity to obtain a passport 26 years ago." I can't believe that. That's despicable. What would it be like for the family of the baby?

And, of course, this is fabulous - the Sensible Sentencing Trust saying "they recognised people make mistakes in their lives and 'most put those mistakes behind them and become law abiding citizens'."

That's the complete opposite of what they stand for. They believe in the death penalty! I guess things are different when it's one of your own.

JoBear
16-09-2010, 07:11 AM
I don't understand how he has absolutely no reasoning for it. He just thought he'd do it. What the hell? I thought the assault conviction was bad enough!

_Ed_
16-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Yeah I don't understand that either!

I also don't get how when he was discharged without conviction the judge granted name suppression because there was "minimal public interest". The guy was involved in the Sensible Sentencing Trust at the time. There's ALWAYS public interest in hypocrisy.

_Ed_
16-09-2010, 11:51 AM
"I've left him so much work he won't have time to scratch himself"

Flummoxing line from early '90s Shortland Street.

JoBear
16-09-2010, 05:21 PM
liked this in stuff

IN GARRETT'S OWN WORDS

"If you target offenders at the lower end, you stop them from descending down the road to more serious crimes."

– Speech to Sensible Sentencing Trust, August 25.

"In the age of the internet, suppressing names can seem pointless to the point of [being] farcical."

– Blog post on June 16.

"Criminals are not stupid. They may not have university degrees or even have finished high school, but they know about cause and effect as it affects them."

– Speech to Parliament, May 25.

_Ed_
16-09-2010, 10:35 PM
:LOL: I love it.

Hypocrisy is such good fun.

JoBear
16-09-2010, 10:41 PM
can we just hope this leads to act self imploding?

_Ed_
17-09-2010, 12:32 AM
That sounds like a reasonable thing to hope for.

Although I will be saddened if it means I can no longer find appropriate instances to bring this photo out.
http://blog.labour.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/2442650.jpg

_Ed_
17-09-2010, 04:13 AM
And it turns out Joyce was convicted of dangerous driving causing injury a few years ago. That's what you want in your Transport Minister.

He says he forgot about that conviction.

How would you forget being in a crash in which someone was injured? Luckily I haven't been involved in many crashes, but I remember a whole lot of near-misses, so I'm sure a crash would stay in my memory forever.

_Ed_
17-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Apparently Paris Hilton has adopted 20 rabbits, who are now living in her backyard.

What happens when they reproduce? There'll be chaos!

Ghosty Ghost
17-09-2010, 07:51 AM
http://blog.petertaylor.co.nz/2010/09/17/property-developers-conflict-of-interest/

I wish politics in Christchurch wasn't so disgusting.

_Ed_
17-09-2010, 10:38 AM
That is ugly. Doubt it's limited to Christchurch, though.

darkshineskitty
17-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Signing up to Paypal. Not sure whether to put the city as Auckland and the region as Waitakere, or the city as Waitakere and the region as the suburb?
Edit: Or the city as Waitakere and the region/state/province as Auckland?

_Ed_
17-09-2010, 01:28 PM
That sounds confusing! I'd lean towards putting the smaller as the city and the larger as the region, so maybe Waitakere for region and Auckland for city? I'm not sure though.

_Ed_
17-09-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm really loving the The Naked and Famous album. I very highly recommend checking it out. :)

Punching in a Dream is probably my favourite song on it at the moment. Catchy as hell.

darkshineskitty
17-09-2010, 02:03 PM
That sounds confusing! I'd lean towards putting the smaller as the city and the larger as the region, so maybe Waitakere for region and Auckland for city? I'm not sure though.

Yeah that's what one would think, but I'm actually going to go the other way around.

_Ed_
17-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Fair enough! :)

JoBear
17-09-2010, 05:17 PM
my advice would be just don't sign up to paypal.

JoBear
17-09-2010, 08:12 PM
tell me...when the hell did the three strike law pass in new zealand and did anyone actually care?!

leeeeem
17-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Snow in Invercargill!

_Ed_
18-09-2010, 12:06 AM
tell me...when the hell did the three strike law pass in new zealand and did anyone actually care?!
I think it passed last year. I wasn't pleased. :noey: In the US, the system has allowed people to be given life sentences for stealing socks. SOCKS!

_Ed_
18-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Snow in Invercargill!

Wow, really? Crazy weather across the country today. Almost frighteningly windy up here.

JoBear
18-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Snow in Invercargill!

what is this...someone from invercargill?

knowing invercargill i will either know you or we will know several of the same people.

Davinq
18-09-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm really loving the The Naked and Famous album. I very highly recommend checking it out. :)

Punching in a Dream is probably my favourite song on it at the moment. Catchy as hell.

I'm really liking this song. Gotta have my cousins send up the album for me, tis ossum! :awesome:

And because Elemeno P is getting a bit stale.