PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think Muse Sounds Like Radiohead?

lamia1194
03-10-2007, 01:29 AM
ok, so im a HUGE muse fan, but i love Radiohead too. the first muse song i heard (which was years back) was time is running out on K-Rock. and i thought to myself, "Wow! Radiohead came back with a new song and its great!!" (sry! i hurt muse! lol) of course, know i know better after my science teacher ( i know, can i get any more dumb) gave me their CDs and i really became a Muse fan. at first, i thought they sounded like radiohead, but now, i realize that muse's early stuff sounds a bit like radiohead, but BH&R really doesnt. what do u think? and does anyone else like radiohead?

Lula
03-10-2007, 03:52 AM
:stunned:

megglefreggle
03-10-2007, 05:11 AM
I absolutely adore radiohead... but no... i see no similarities between the two... might just be me??:stunned:

Claireness
03-10-2007, 10:02 AM
ok, so im a HUGE muse fan, but i love Radiohead too. the first muse song i heard (which was years back) was time is running out on K-Rock. and i thought to myself, "Wow! Radiohead came back with a new song and its great!!" (sry! i hurt mise! lol) of course, know i know better after my science teacher ( i know, can i get any more dumb) gave me their CDs and i really became a Muse fan. at first, i thought they sounded like radiohead, but now, i realize that muse's early stuff sounds a bit like radiohead, but BH&R really doesnt. what do u think? and does anyone else like radiohead?

I agree that early Muse sounds like Radiohead, but that Muse went they way Radiohead should have gone ... but that's just my opinion.

Judderman
03-10-2007, 10:42 AM

monkeyinair
03-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Muse IS Radiohead. Everyone knows that. :rolleyes:

fire
03-10-2007, 10:51 AM
:mad: No, not at all.

AMfrompoland!!
03-10-2007, 12:11 PM
:stunned:NO:stunned:

ninja
03-10-2007, 01:24 PM
n-n-no :stunned:

seregon
03-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I sentance you to court!

asdf
03-10-2007, 01:29 PM
No, Muse doesn't sound like Radiohead. And yes, I love Radiohead.

Clunge
03-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Showbiz sounds a LOT like Radiohead, that is undeniable.

Listen to Pablo Honey and The Bends, it sounds like Showbiz. There is no argument.

Aside from that, the comparisons disappear. I love both bands equally tbh, though Muse normally do shade it for me.

LittleRedRidingHood
03-10-2007, 03:33 PM
and i thought to myself, "Wow! Radiohead came back with a new song and its great!!"

:eek:
:noey:

this radioheadguys bore me to death
sorry

no, not sorry

mr.jingles
03-10-2007, 04:09 PM

Listen to Pablo Honey and The Bends, it sounds like Showbiz. There is no argument.

Pablo Honey sounds like all the grunge bandwagon jumpers and alternative mainstream of the 90s.

The Bends was when Radiohead first sounded like Radiohead.

Repeaterbeater
03-10-2007, 04:12 PM
try to listen radiohead's "just" and muse "overdue" .. hmm..

colly
03-10-2007, 04:28 PM
yeah i really like radiohead but i dont think that there is that much similarity in them tbh yeah ok Thom Yorke and Matt can sing really high but Matt can sing higher ( the highest recorded note that Matt has ever sung, extending to a G# was sung on showbiz).

either way i like radiohead and muse and radiohead have been producing songs longer than muse but hey bandz iz bandz!!

Caff
03-10-2007, 04:40 PM

Aside from that, the comparisons disappear. I love both bands equally tbh, though Muse normally do shade it for me.

I often wonder what these Radiohead deniers are listening to, unless they're doing the musical version of sticking their fingers in their ears and going "LALALALA NOT LISTENINGQ!!111 You're WRONG!" becaue Showbiz is UNASHAMEDLY influenced by Radiohead.

Not that it's a bad thing, cos Radiohead were awesome at the time and Showbiz is the album that brought Muse into my life and I loved them as Muse, not because they sounded a bit Radiohead.

colly
03-10-2007, 05:08 PM
I often wonder what these Radiohead deniers are listening to, unless they're doing the musical version of sticking their fingers in their ears and going "LALALALA NOT LISTENINGQ!!111 You're WRONG!" becaue Showbiz is UNASHAMEDLY influenced by Radiohead.

Not that it's a bad thing, cos Radiohead were awesome at the time and Showbiz is the album that brought Muse into my life and I loved them as Muse, not because they sounded a bit Radiohead.

hear hear:musesign::happy:

mr.jingles
03-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Hey, Radiohead ripped off Nirvana on their first album, and then they went to move on to finding their own sound.

beanworld
03-10-2007, 05:31 PM
my friend played me a radiohead song (dunno which one, i just know it was off Ok Computer, cos she said that was their best album) and it sounded nothing like muse! Ok, so i'm going by one song here, no, wait, my older sister played me a radiohead tape a while back! I don't remember thinking "hmmm, this is like muse" when i heard it. They're both just very individual.

seregon
03-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Showbiz is Radiohead meets Emo. And its my favourite album before you start stomping feet its fortunate that that combination sounds quite good in museworld

funkadelic
03-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Only on Showbiz, but even then they put their own little twist on things. To be honest I didn't notice until people kept pointing it out, but that could be because I've only heard some Radiohead songs. I've never been a big fan of Radiohead, great band though.

Bulletproof
03-10-2007, 08:35 PM
The Bends is a bit, but not much like Muse, everything else by Radiohead is nowhere near Muse apart from Yorke's high notes.

lamia1194
03-10-2007, 09:13 PM

:LOL: (but its not true)

lamia1194
03-10-2007, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=Clunge;3471634]Showbiz sounds a LOT like Radiohead, that is undeniable.

Aside from that, the comparisons disappear.

I agree:)

lamia1194
03-10-2007, 09:16 PM

sorry

no, not sorry

I KNOW, I KNOW! im sry i thought TIRO was radiohead, but i love them and they are NOT boring!! they are quite interesting.

lamia1194
03-10-2007, 09:18 PM
hear hear:musesign::happy:

i agree too!

lamia1194
[QUOTE=CherishedDreams;3472596]Showbiz is Radiohead meets Emo.

:LOL:

seregon
MQ= Multi Quote :)

thecitizeneraser
03-10-2007, 09:19 PM
ATTENTION! BY LAW, NO BANDS ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE INFLUENCES ANY LONGER.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, Showbiz is obviously influenced by Radiohead, but so what? ALL bands have some influences, whether they're major or minor.

Wendigo
03-10-2007, 09:23 PM
(sry! i hurt mise! lol)

:)

lamia1194
03-10-2007, 10:00 PM
:)

i suck at typing

Caff
03-10-2007, 10:14 PM
my friend played me a radiohead song (dunno which one, i just know it was off Ok Computer, cos she said that was their best album) and it sounded nothing like muse! Ok, so i'm going by one song here, no, wait, my older sister played me a radiohead tape a while back! I don't remember thinking "hmmm, this is like muse" when i heard it. They're both just very individual.

From OK Computer...listen to The Tourist and Paranoid Andriod and tell me that doesn't sound Musey. Or rather Radiohead-y and then the album Showbiz was Muse's take on that sound.

And just about all of The Bends sounds similar to Muse. But as someone said, Radiohead's own first album was very inspired by another band...and they went on to better things. Same thing happened to Muse.

funkadelic
03-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Gotta start somewhere, right? :happy:

lamia1194
04-10-2007, 12:07 AM

exactly:D

Caff
04-10-2007, 01:05 AM

Yep, and it's better to take inspiration from an acclaimed band and move on from there than come out with a sound that everyone hates. I guess.

They also both have a common influence in Jeff Buckley.

SqueekyBigfoot
04-10-2007, 02:40 AM
Radiohead bores me muse doesn't

Lula
04-10-2007, 04:10 AM
Why are we still discussing this.. aren't there a hundred other threads just like this that it could be discussed on?

Who cares, if at the beginning of their career, they sounded like Radiohead, they obviously do NOT sound anything like Radiohead now.

It gets tiring seeing everyone debating if they are similar or not.

Two separate bands, one was inspired by the other. End of story.

Discoprincess32
04-10-2007, 06:51 AM
From OK Computer...listen to The Tourist and Paranoid Andriod and tell me that doesn't sound Musey. Or rather Radiohead-y and then the album Showbiz was Muse's take on that sound.

And just about all of The Bends sounds similar to Muse. But as someone said, Radiohead's own first album was very inspired by another band...and they went on to better things. Same thing happened to Muse.

I've had my younger sister (29) who doesn't like Muse or Radiohead (she thinks they both sound whiney), and she doesn't think they sound anything alike. I played Paranoid Android" and "Glorious" next to each other and I see no resemblence at all. I actually think that the lead singer of Keane sounds more like Thom than Matt does. I've analysed their voices (I was a singer for 12 w/ a choral group), and Thoms is whinier, mushier, smoother and he transitions into his falsetto more pronounced. Matt has a less whiney voice with a much higher pitch. his voice has a very pronounced vibrato as well. his transition to falsetto is very smooth as well. He has a higher range.
Musically, the 2 bands sound nothing alike. Besides, RH is a 5 piece where as Muse is a 3 piece. RH could never make their music if they were only 3.
I don't get the comparisons and yes, it does get my goat when they are made. You hear a falsetto and boom! you're the same band, or your ripping someone off.:mad:

brisk
04-10-2007, 09:17 AM

Radiohead bores me muse doesn't
I'll say...
:sleepy:

coxoxi
04-10-2007, 09:29 AM
No! I don't think Muse sounds like Radiohead... They're special:p

Caff
04-10-2007, 10:15 AM
I've had my younger sister (29) who doesn't like Muse or Radiohead (she thinks they both sound whiney), and she doesn't think they sound anything alike. I played Paranoid Android" and "Glorious" next to each other and I see no resemblence at all. I actually think that the lead singer of Keane sounds more like Thom than Matt does. I've analysed their voices (I was a singer for 12 w/ a choral group), and Thoms is whinier, mushier, smoother and he transitions into his falsetto more pronounced. Matt has a less whiney voice with a much higher pitch. his voice has a very pronounced vibrato as well. his transition to falsetto is very smooth as well. He has a higher range.
Musically, the 2 bands sound nothing alike. Besides, RH is a 5 piece where as Muse is a 3 piece. RH could never make their music if they were only 3.
I don't get the comparisons and yes, it does get my goat when they are made. You hear a falsetto and boom! you're the same band, or your ripping someone off.:mad:

Well obviously you picked a NEW Muse song where they do sound nothing like each other...that was either accidental or deliberate. Either way, just about anything off Showbiz gets my sister saying "I thought that was Radiohead at first" and she's a singer as well...so we can all play the "I know music therefore I rule and you don't" game.

Claireness
04-10-2007, 11:24 AM

Go Caff! Yes!

Every band is influenced by someone else and usually start off with a first album that has many references to other bands before they start developing their own sound. Radiohead were massive at the time, of course they were influenced by them.

MUFC
04-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I hate these comparisons. Muse are clearly different and greater.

coxoxi
04-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Me too :yesey:

Milky Joe
04-10-2007, 06:19 PM
To be honest, and I don't know how it is possible, but to me, Radiohead sounds more like Muse, than Muse sounds like Radiohead

lamia1194
04-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Why are we still discussing this.. aren't there a hundred other threads just like this that it could be discussed on?

Who cares, if at the beginning of their career, they sounded like Radiohead, they obviously do NOT sound anything like Radiohead now.

It gets tiring seeing everyone debating if they are similar or not.

Two separate bands, one was inspired by the other. End of story.

jeez, i was just curious

Juuso
04-10-2007, 08:32 PM

I love it when people argument as well as you do.

Who_Killed_Laura_Palmer?
04-10-2007, 10:01 PM
The only glimpse of radiohead recently is the first bit of singing matt does on Glorious, but even that is a stretch.

Listening to a lot of Radiohead atm and i see very few similarities,

I feel sorry for Muse having to put up with the endless comparisons, despite them being different...

(L)Muchas love to them :D

Lula
04-10-2007, 10:05 PM
jeez, i was just curious

I'm sorry to offend, this topic is just discussed all the time and it gets a little tiring. It's ok if you were curious.

brisk
05-10-2007, 06:41 AM
I love it when people argument as well as you do.

Juuso, i assign you as the new honorary chairman of the debating society :p

ShamanX3
05-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm sorry to offend, this topic is just discussed all the time and it gets a little tiring. It's ok if you were curious.

It's his forum as much as yours. If nobody wants to discuss the issue, the topic will die and fall off the page. There's members that obviously still want to discuss this topic at the moment, so let them do so - without having to deal with people whinging.

Besides, stuff like this is much more interesting than reading the older members taking over topics with conversation which no one gives a fuck about.

lamia1194
08-10-2007, 07:00 PM
MQ= Multi Quote :)

WOW! I would have NEVER thought of that! THANKS!!:LOL:

lamia1194
08-10-2007, 07:04 PM

its ok, and i wasnt offended. i just wanted to know what everyone thought. so listen up people:

MUSE IS AWESOME AND SO IS RADIOHEAD AND I LOVE BOTH (MUSE A LITTLE MORE:D)

missusmuse
09-10-2007, 12:42 PM
this topic is a little old isn't it.. but hohum.
i don't really make the connection at all, i'm a fan of both bands. moreso Muse of course..

Max
09-10-2007, 12:43 PM

He's said it best.

So let's all shut up and download In Rainbows tomorrow. :)

missusmuse
09-10-2007, 12:47 PM
He's said it best.

So let's all shut up and download In Rainbows tomorrow. :)

:LOL: woooooo

lamia1194
09-10-2007, 09:22 PM
So let's all shut up and download In Rainbows tomorrow. :)[/QUOTE]

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!! i CANT wait to listen to their new songs!!! im sooo excited that Radiohead's finally coming back. maybe they's a chance they'll come to NYC and ill finally be able to see them! its my dream to see radiohead in concert (since ive already seen Muse!) a 1% chance ill go isnt a lot...

but ill hold on to that 1%:D

lamia1194
10-10-2007, 10:52 PM
YYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Radiohead's album came out! (sort of) in one day all of the songs got onto limewire:LOL: i was able to get all the songs! cant wait to listen to them!

I Only Want You
11-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Someone at work asked me "doesn't Muse remind you of Radiohead?". I said not really, I like Radiohead, they aren't Muse though.

susurr0
11-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah they're exactly the same. In fact, Muse is Thom Yorke's side project.

colly
11-10-2007, 11:16 AM

:bang: go die :D

seregon
11-10-2007, 11:29 AM

:LOL:

colly
11-10-2007, 12:24 PM
although to be honest it could be true mmmmm maybe matts just a prettier and far more sexy looking clone of thom, yorke

eeeewwwwwwww i cant believe i just thought that up!!!!!!!!1:supertong
*sicks a bit in mouth*
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Juuso
11-10-2007, 02:03 PM
although to be honest it could be true mmmmm maybe matts just a prettier and far more sexy looking clone of thom, yorke

eeeewwwwwwww i cant believe i just thought that up!!!!!!!!1:supertong
*sicks a bit in mouth*
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

omg ha ha so funni

lamia1194
11-10-2007, 08:11 PM

LOL!!!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

(sry, but that just cracked me up!)

lamia1194
11-10-2007, 08:14 PM
presently, Muse doesn't sound ANYTHING like Radiohead.

i was listening to one of radiohead's new song and he said "Take a bow" 3 times and i started laughing. maybe he's a big Muse fan...:erm:

Miss Bellamy.
12-10-2007, 01:42 AM
Hmm, It is clear that Muse has influences of Radiohead, but little by little Muse has been developing his your own style.

illuminatus
12-10-2007, 04:34 AM
Radiohead has a new album, someone said some of the songs sounded like Muse

*OoS*
12-10-2007, 08:46 AM
No, I don't think Muse sound anything like Radiohead at all. End of.

Aurora Lights
13-10-2007, 12:11 AM
'Do you think Muse sounds like Radiohead?'
NO!! They don't sound anything like each other!

I love both bands but there's no comparison, Muse rocks the hell out of Radiohead:yesey:
:musesign:

colly
15-10-2007, 09:59 AM
i havent actually listenend to the new album yet i heard one song on the radio but i didnt know what its called. mmmmm radiohead and muse are both great bands i don't know why people get so het up about them being compared to one another :stunned:

seregon
15-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Radiohead has a new album, someone said some of the songs sounded like Muse

Nude sounds like Bliss being played backwards but apart from that doesn't sound like Muse.

missusmuse
15-10-2007, 10:54 PM
radioheads new album is great :D
and nothing like muse
it's not of THAT standard ;)

MMUSE
23-10-2007, 09:20 AM

You are crazy they are so not :mad:

Juuso
23-10-2007, 10:43 AM
You are crazy they are so not :mad:

They so are! :mad:

seregon
23-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Musiohead are an awesome band stop complaining

FighterZER042
24-10-2007, 12:54 AM
as a band no they do not sound the same, but at moments matt's voice sounds similar to thom's

lamia1194
24-10-2007, 01:51 AM
Musiohead are an awesome band stop complaining

:LOL: love the name!

Itaketheblow
24-10-2007, 10:02 AM
There:

I'm having captioner's block here, so here's one I did earlier...

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/images/Hmmmmmmmm.jpg

Thom: What do you mean it sounds like Muse?

:p

lamia1194
28-10-2007, 09:32 PM
There:

:p

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME!!

did u put that on the caption thread?!

AFX Twiiin!
29-10-2007, 03:49 PM
only showbiz

Itaketheblow
16-11-2007, 03:45 PM
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME!!

did u put that on the caption thread?!

Nooo

like you can see
chizzleface did it

;)

Easily_Hyper
16-11-2007, 03:49 PM
:noey: There nothing alike!

AFX Twiiin!
16-11-2007, 03:51 PM
nothing in the world sounds the same as another
every sound is unique

VicStar
31-12-2007, 05:06 AM
I agree that early Muse sounds like Radiohead, but that Muse went they way Radiohead should have gone ... but that's just my opinion.

I tend to agree - that Muse have moved in the direction that Radiohead could have but didn't. Muse's sound is much fuller, bigger, better and incredibly dramatic. Thom York could have done what Matt does vocally - but didn't.

I have been saying for years that every now-and-then Muse create a piece that has a "Radioheadish" sound about it. Must admit BH&R has shifted away from the Radiohead sound though.

VicStar
31-12-2007, 05:06 AM

I tend to agree - that Muse have moved in the direction that Radiohead could have but didn't. Muse's sound is much fuller, bigger, better and incredibly dramatic. Thom York could have done what Matt does vocally - but didn't.

I have been saying for years that every now-and-then Muse create a piece that has a "Radioheadish" sound about it. Must admit BH&R has shifted away from the Radiohead sound though.

garp
31-12-2007, 07:59 AM
I think the only similarities muse and radiohead ever had was pablo honey and 'Falling away with you' - other than that, it's like comparing donkeys to monkeys. I love both (muse and radiohead and donkeys and monkeys, too), and I love the fact that their music styles and abilities are so opposite now. Btw, I love Faust Arp on In Rainbows, especially the time sig that seems to make some feel uncomfortable, that and I will are so quintessential thom yorke to me. Muse is more harmonic, less uncomfortable and way more singalong but no less brilliant in their songwriting abilities - and they can do a mean RATM, too, kinda miss that a little.

Can we collectively bury the hatches and band together to plead for a Matthew Bellamy - Thom Yorke duet?? Maybe throw in Tom Morello, and a sharp female vocalist like Bjork, too....

Kaisa
31-12-2007, 08:34 AM
no

madzip
31-12-2007, 12:17 PM
I am sure that this has been said before, many apologies but....

How many times has this thread been done????

:sleepy:

Esmo
09-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Showbiz quite clearly sounds a lot like Radiohead (I think the best comparisson is Overdue and Bones.) But after that I think their sound has changed from what Radiohead have been up to. The only thing where they remain inseparable is where Thom and Matt are in their approaching-falsetto-and-wailing ranges :P

Johanna
09-06-2008, 11:56 PM
COME ON! You're few years behind. This is an old, old, old joke. Muse and Radiohead both sound different from each other. Muse sounds NOTHING like Radiohead. Radiohead sounds NOTHING like Muse. The only thing in common is that they used to have the same producer. And they both sing like Jeff Buckley, Matt & Thom. Although Matt's voice is stronger than Thom's and Matt can scream and reach those high notes like no other singer AND Muse's music is something you can mosh to. Muse's music kicks ass and includes some pretty impressive guitar/bass/drum riffs. Radiohead's music is more artistic and strange.

End of my statement for the 100th time. *sigh*
When are people gonna leave these pointless comparisons in the past and live in the present?

Fayth-in-Flyght
10-06-2008, 02:25 AM
COME ON! You're few years behind. This is an old, old, old joke. Muse and Radiohead both sound different from each other. Muse sounds NOTHING like Radiohead. Radiohead sounds NOTHING like Muse. The only thing in common is that they used to have the same producer. And they both sing like Jeff Buckley, Matt & Thom. Although Matt's voice is stronger than Thom's and Matt can scream and reach those high notes like no other singer AND Muse's music is something you can mosh to. Muse's music kicks ass and includes some pretty impressive guitar/bass/drum riffs. Radiohead's music is more artistic and strange.

End of my statement for the 100th time. *sigh*
When are people gonna leave these pointless comparisons in the past and live in the present?

plus fucking one my dear, although if you sit and listen to The Bends and then Showbiz you can pick out parts that could well have been stolen - doesn't make Showbiz any worse mind you ;) (lulz I already said this in another thread tonight)

Iddy
10-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Overdue and Bones do sounds similar, but thats it. This is a very OLD argument. they sound nothing like each other. Muse's music is more rocky and dancy and it's fucking awesome, while Radiohead makes beautiful music, and I think they're better at the soft stuff.

mint
10-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Back in the day yes, not so much now and Radiohead are a bit softer musically softer.

Earthquake
11-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Absolutely not.

I'm not a Radiohead fan ... i don't know all their songs but i think their music is different to what Muse does.
I've never understood why people said that.

thecitizeneraser
11-06-2008, 08:34 AM
I love both Radiohead and Muse. So I don't see why there is constant bickering between opposing fans.

Muse clear took inspiration from Radiohead in Showbiz (Overdue and Just sound very similar, for instance), but after that, they went completely off in their own direction and Radiohead in theirs.

They're two very different bands but are both great.

The_Tourist
11-06-2008, 08:56 AM
I dunno... Coming from a HUGE Radiohead fan, Muse's early work sounds a bit (like miniscule) like Radiohead's earlier work. But now, they are nothing alike, I think.
If they were alike though, what a compliment, in my opinion! :]

garp
11-06-2008, 03:38 PM
What's Radiohead?

Matthijs
11-06-2008, 04:17 PM
no

naget4music
12-06-2008, 11:19 AM
The Inspiration is clear....but no they don't sound like radiohead

coxoxi
12-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Can't believe that this thread is still going on... :indiff:

naget4music
12-06-2008, 12:35 PM
What's Radiohead?

WHAT:eek:

naget4music
12-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Can't believe that this thread is still going on... :indiff:

And its a very opininated topic...thats why its still going...:happy:

Max
12-06-2008, 12:41 PM
And its a very opininated topic...thats why its still going...:happy:

Yeah but the fact remains that Muse don't sound like Radiohead whatsoever. :LOL: There's a few touches perhaps during the Showbiz-era but Origin Of Symmetry just blew all the comparisons away.

InsertCreativeNameHere
12-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Both are awesome, there will always be dicks who want to argue about it but its a total waste of time. Listen to both bands and enjoy some good music ffs.

NaomiSushiX3
13-06-2008, 07:09 AM
if they did..
i would of never liked muse

WhoIsGonnaSaveU
13-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Not really.

SymmetryTwins
13-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Muse and Radiohead...They'e different bands and sounds different!

New Born Lee
14-06-2008, 01:20 AM
They shook it off as soon as they released Origin imo...

Discoprincess32
14-06-2008, 03:45 AM
Fuse (a US music channel) was playing a block of videos from RH, I woke up halfway through the program, they were playing High & Dry (great vid BTW), Bodysnatchers (didn't like this song or video at all!!!!!) and Just (which is from The Bends-the album most people say they sound alike) and I don't think that Thom Yorkes voice sounds anything like Matts. On Just, Johnnys guitaring sounds a bit like Matts, but that the only parallel I hear at all.

Thoms voice is deeper and more even keel whereas Matts seems to have more "range". Matts vocals are clearer and Thoms are vocals are mushier (I can't understand him as well as I can Matt). There is a definate difference in there vocal styles. It's bizarre how people think they sound alike. It's like Thom invented Falsetto. Men have been singing falsetto (Judas Priest anyone?) for eons.

Whats sad is that major US publications (the largest being Rolling Stone) have their heads shoved so far up RH butts if anything even remotely sounds like them, they refuse to even acknowledge the band as legit. This is why Muse will most likely never be big like Coldplay, etc...in the US. :stunned:

Saracene
14-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Whats sad is that major US publications (the largest being Rolling Stone) have their heads shoved so far up RH butts if anything even remotely sounds like them, they refuse to even acknowledge the band as legit. This is why Muse will most likely never be big like Coldplay, etc...in the US. :stunned:

Well, if it's any consolation music magazines don't really make or break bands - even less now that many people switched from printed media to internet as a mean to discover new music.

Rolling Stone never had much love for Led Zeppelin (their recent cover was actually their *first* RS cover ever), but that didn't stop them from selling truckloads.

naget4music
14-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Yeah but the fact remains that Muse don't sound like Radiohead whatsoever. :LOL: There's a few touches perhaps during the Showbiz-era but Origin Of Symmetry just blew all the comparisons away.

Hear hear to that! and to origin of symmetry

I love both bands but they sound nothing alike

colly
14-06-2008, 08:00 PM
oh god not the"ZOMG!!!!!!1!?! MOOZE SOUND LIKE RADIOHEAD????!!!11:pope:" thread :mad: again.

seriously it gets on my tits.

muse=legendary
radiohead=legendary

so fucking what?
they dont sound the same they are both unique in there own little ways

please let this thread die again :(

T-Rex
16-06-2008, 07:12 PM

Johanna
17-06-2008, 04:34 AM
Please let's kill this thread. Both bands are amazing and both bands sound different from each other. Muse DOES NOT sound like Radiohead. Now everyone stop posting. This ridiculous and pointless argument has been done too many times in the past already.

*hopes the thread gets locked*

Museangel
17-06-2008, 10:02 AM
I dont think there should be a comparison. Muse should be in a whole new genre they are out of this world and unique.

susurr0
17-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Sometimes I put on OK Computer and I can't tell if it's Radiohead or Muse.

ChasingDreams
21-06-2008, 05:52 AM
Fuse (a US music channel) was playing a block of videos from RH, I woke up halfway through the program, they were playing High & Dry (great vid BTW), Bodysnatchers (didn't like this song or video at all!!!!!) and Just (which is from The Bends-the album most people say they sound alike) and I don't think that Thom Yorkes voice sounds anything like Matts. On Just, Johnnys guitaring sounds a bit like Matts, but that the only parallel I hear at all.

Thoms voice is deeper and more even keel whereas Matts seems to have more "range". Matts vocals are clearer and Thoms are vocals are mushier (I can't understand him as well as I can Matt). There is a definate difference in there vocal styles. It's bizarre how people think they sound alike. It's like Thom invented Falsetto. Men have been singing falsetto (Judas Priest anyone?) for eons.

Sad thing is, Coldplay sound more like Radiohead and Muse do :LOL:

Personally, I don't see the comparison. I had a relative over when I was watching HAARP and he said that Muse sounded like RH. I was like... :wtf:

morrison1976
21-06-2008, 10:19 PM
You know what, i have never understood this "muse sound like radiohead" thing. I got into radiohead at the very begining, and loved them up to ok computer. After that they changed there direction, and i was not quite the same with them. Muse on the other hand i got into through my x girlfriend, and i never thought they sounded like radiohead at all, i just ca't see it. I like muse better, and i feel that muse has got better with each album, while radiohead have not. Matt is just a talent, very underated in my opinion.

Johanna
22-06-2008, 04:47 AM
Matt's always been underrated. Finnish critics love to slag Muse off a bit too much and they are also guilty of the endless and pointless and extremely irritating Radiohead comparisons. The worst review even had the guts to say this about Muse: "They can't be serious". That was pretty hurtful. No respect towards their unique talents as musicians and the fact of them making such unique music and having a singer with such an unique voice that no-one would (most likely) ever be able to copy and to have such songwriting talent and to have the charm on stage to blow the audience away even without the cool big effects, rocking the audience only with their instruments. That is a talent. They make music out of love, unlike too many bands these days, and what do they get in return? It makes me sad. I hate the press here because of this. I know I should ignore them but when every Finnish critic keeps doing this it's not easy to ignore.

Discoprincess32
22-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Matt's always been underrated. Finnish critics love to slag Muse off a bit too much and they are also guilty of the endless and pointless and extremely irritating Radiohead comparisons. The worst review even had the guts to say this about Muse: "They can't be serious". That was pretty hurtful. No respect towards their unique talents as musicians and the fact of them making such unique music and having a singer with such an unique voice that no-one would (most likely) ever be able to copy and to have such songwriting talent and to have the charm on stage to blow the audience away even without the cool big effects, rocking the audience only with their instruments. That is a talent. They make music out of love, unlike too many bands these days, and what do they get in return? It makes me sad. I hate the press here because of this. I know I should ignore them but when every Finnish critic keeps doing this it's not easy to ignore.

Johanna, that's exactly how I feel! But no matter how much we think they don't sound alike some idiot is going to come along and make the comparison. Shame on them for not being intelligent enough to realize the beauty that is Muse. Matt, Chris and Dom = legends! :musesign:

Johanna
22-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Johanna, that's exactly how I feel! But no matter how much we think they don't sound alike some idiot is going to come along and make the comparison. Shame on them for not being intelligent enough to realize the beauty that is Muse. Matt, Chris and Dom = legends! :musesign:

Yeah that's always the case. But it's their loss. They'll regret their words in a few ten years time.

Because Muse WILL be remembered as one of the most special and greatest and most talented and the most kick-arse bands
of our time.

:musesign:

InsertCreativeNameHere
22-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Well I think there a few people guilty of just bumming Muse no matter what they bring out. I actually think Muse have gone downhill since Hullabaloo. I'll probably get a torrent of people disagreeing with me but, meh. They still make great music but they have never re-captured what they had on OOS imo.

I don't think they sound like Radiohead either, in my opinion Radiohead are more innovative and less repetitive than Muse are, but I still prefer Muse. Sick of the pointless comparison.

Johanna
22-06-2008, 02:49 PM
I've never seen Muse as a band that repeats themselves. The opposite.
In my opinion they keep finding new ways to mix different music styles and make it work. And keep getting bolder as a band too to become more and more different from the mass and from their past with each new album.

morrison1976
22-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Well I think there a few people guilty of just bumming Muse no matter what they bring out. I actually think Muse have gone downhill since Hullabaloo. I'll probably get a torrent of people disagreeing with me but, meh. They still make great music but they have never re-captured what they had on OOS imo.

I don't think they sound like Radiohead either, in my opinion Radiohead are more innovative and less repetitive than Muse are, but I still prefer Muse. Sick of the pointless comparison.

Nah, thats your opinion mate. It would be boring if we all thought the same. Radiohead i used to love. There first 3 albums were amazing, and they were one of my fav bands. But after ok computer, i could not get into them. Sure for me, they still had some great tracks on the later albums, but i could not get into the albums themselves. Even in rainbows, i just cant get into it :( One thing i noticed about T yorke was his voice. He seems to mumble alot now when he sings, and i find that so annoying!

Muse on the other hand, in my opinion are getting better and better with each new album release. Its only when you see muse live that you can appreciate what a talented band they are, and how gifted matt is, in singing and his guitar playing. Some of the things he does with his voice is just amazing! and i feel is up there with jeff buckley, who i saw live once .

dekza
19-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Ripcord riff = Falling With The Crowd riff

Do We Need This - sounds like Radiohead

Kirby
19-08-2010, 09:10 PM
I really don't believe the bands sound alike. I'm a hardcore Muse fan but also a hardcore RH fan. I think they're both unique. They have in common the fact that they've both changed over the years and keep experimenting.

They're both amazing in their own ways :happy:

musse
20-08-2010, 12:15 AM
I liked Radiohead years before I knew about Muse, and still I don't get why some people always say that Muse is a bad copy :$
I am sure that Radiohead are very talented musicians, but I'm probably not in their target because I found their music too sad to listen to it.
Is very different what happens with Muse, their music is so powerful that I keep re-discovering their songs :happy:

Zaphod Chizzlebrox
20-08-2010, 12:16 AM
lolthreadnecromancy

Luigi.
20-08-2010, 12:21 AM
When will the comparisons stop?:rolleyes:

_silverrose_
20-08-2010, 12:38 AM
When will the comparisons stop?:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: never

I can't stand Radiohead but love Muse so... yeah... personally don't see the comparison but than again I can't even get through one RH song so I guess I can't really say...

ZachWithAnH
20-08-2010, 12:52 AM
I seriously think that this whole radiohead muse thing is really overdone. Yes showbiz sounds like radiohead, but all the rest dont. Get on with your love of muse and move on away from this stupid radiohead shit

Ghost334
20-08-2010, 03:55 AM
They share only remote, vague similarities with certain songs. However, there's a big key difference that resonates in my ears when I listen to either group. Matt is much better with harmonics and pairing the right notes together, and while Radiohead is very experimental, none of their bass lines, chords, harmonies, or melodies, etc. ring in my ear and grab my attention like Muse's do. Plus, there's the obvious fact that Matt is a much better vocalist. Opinions aside, he has a higher range. That's fact.

In my honest opinion, Muse >>> Radiohead. :awesome:

cherry lips
20-08-2010, 05:33 AM
I see your point,Showbiz did sound a bit like Radiohead but all the other albums NO!,I'm a radiohead fan too ;)

coralucky
20-08-2010, 07:02 PM
No, not at all. I mean, you can say that single songs from Showbiz remind of Radiohead, but I think that this comparison is very excessive and most of the people are just over- reacting! Radiohead may inspire Muse, but Muse are a great band by their own!
And I do like Radiohead, But it's got nothing to do with my feelings to Muse...
Muse is a great band, thanks to themselves, and in my opinion, there's nothing bad in taking inspiration from another band... (I'm really not sure they did, though.) I also think that Muse are better than Radiohead (and I bet that most of you guys also do XD) ...
Muse also re-invent themselves all the time, so even if they did do a song that remind of Radiohead, the next song is way different from the other :)

Furygirl
20-08-2010, 11:08 PM
I knew about Radiohead 15 years ago, but they never really got under my skin the way Muse does. I don't see much similarity. However, a few weeks ago we were in a restaurant and a song from OK Computer was playing and my husband (who is not a Muse fan nor a Radiohead fan) said "Is this Muse?" :erm: I LOLed. So some people apparently think they sound similar.

HenryW7
21-08-2010, 01:26 PM
I always thought radiohead sounded more like an advanced coldplay rather than muse

Kirby
21-08-2010, 02:55 PM
I seriously think that this whole radiohead muse thing is really overdone. Yes showbiz sounds like radiohead, but all the rest dont. Get on with your love of muse and move on away from this stupid radiohead shit

I see your point,Showbiz did sound a bit like Radiohead but all the other albums NO!,I'm a radiohead fan too ;)

I think Showbiz and Pablo Honey sound a bit similar, not really but they have a rough rock feel to them.

After that, I see no similarities.

cherry lips
21-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I always thought radiohead sounded more like an advanced coldplay rather than muse

Definetly,Thom Yorke sounds like a dying cat sometimes but I like it :LOL::p,Radiohead has mostly lighter music (mostly I say),in a way just like Coldplay...

Tasha_
21-08-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't really think Muse sound like Radiohead. Maybe they sounded a bit alike in their early days, but as a big fan of both bands, I don't think they have many similarities nowadays.

Although, the first time I listened to My Iron Lung, I was instantly reminded of Muse :erm::chuckle:

lukester911
21-08-2010, 05:12 PM
oh look, it's this thread again!