PDA

View Full Version : Piano Thing

jrallen
28-09-2007, 06:07 AM
Does anyone else agree with me that this song is absolutly amazing? does anyone know where to get a copy of this song? itunes maybe?

Mad_Clown
28-09-2007, 10:08 AM
this "song" is crap! its just matt banging on the piano! lol

InsertCreativeNameHere
28-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Its beautiful. I dont know where to get it its not on itunes.

Mad_Clown
28-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Its beautiful. I dont know where to get it its not on itunes.

it clearly isnt beautiful!!! It sounds like a 2 year old banging around on a piano! If you want a good piano based muse tune, look no further than hoodoo!

mai_taylor
28-09-2007, 10:15 AM

I've just tried banging around on my keyboard and it doesn't sound anything like piano thing!

ApocalypsePleasure2
28-09-2007, 10:19 AM
it clearly isnt beautiful!!! It sounds like a 2 year old banging around on a piano! If you want a good piano based muse tune, look no further than hoodoo!

There are many other piano songs that far surpass that of Piano Thing.

To me, the best are as follows:

1) Apocalypse Please ( Duh!)

2) Space Dementia ( Brilliant ending!)

3) Ruled by Secrecy ( Best lyrics of a Muse song ever and excellent solo)

4) Sunburn (The piano in this song is too good to be true, and its a fab song too)

5) Hoodoo ( Great lyrics, fantastic build-up, spine-chilling piano interlude around the middle)

BlackHole No.9
28-09-2007, 10:24 AM

4) Sunburn (The piano in this song is too good to be true, and its a fab song too)

5) Hoodoo ( Great lyrics, fantastic build-up, spine-chilling piano interlude around the middle)

how do's every1 hope u ave a gd weekend im of to leedssss :) im getting fifa 08 n some new pair of converse :p

mai_taylor
28-09-2007, 10:28 AM
how do's every1 hope u ave a gd weekend im of to leedssss :) im getting fifa 08 n some new pair of converse :p

:LOL::LOL::D

InsertCreativeNameHere
28-09-2007, 10:41 AM

This thread is about piano thing none of the above.

fairy lights
28-09-2007, 11:06 AM

it clearly isnt beautiful!!! It sounds like a 2 year old banging around on a piano!

:noey:

I know its your opinion, but your comments about Piano Thing has really irked me. :stunned:

I'm sure Matt would be insulted that you think a complex improvised piano piece is one of a 2 year old 'banging on the piano.' :stunned:

Mad_Clown
28-09-2007, 11:24 AM
:noey:

I know its your opinion, but your comments about Piano Thing has really irked me. :stunned:

I'm sure Matt would be insulted that you think a complex improvised piano piece is one of a 2 year old 'banging on the piano.' :stunned:

lol! Im sure matt has forgot he acctually recorded it, as it was a bside!..what single was it b side to anyway?

fairy lights
28-09-2007, 11:31 AM
New Born

pubicmage
28-09-2007, 04:04 PM
It's not a song!

It's quite good, though. There are too many arpeggios, but it isn't bad.

XxsnowflakesxX
28-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Does anyone else agree with me that this song is absolutly amazing? does anyone know where to get a copy of this song? itunes maybe?

if you like, i could pm you a link to download it for free.

i don't think i'm allowed to publically post the website actually i read something about that on muselive. =/

Murtain
28-09-2007, 04:34 PM
I enjoy listening to Piano Thing because it's just simply piano playing in it and that makes it enjoyable :)

Just the piano over and over... :happy:

Nimpo46
28-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Saying it's Matt banging on a piano is just ignorant. Whether you like the song or not, you should be able to appreciate the amount of effort that has gone in to the song to write it.

Ro
28-09-2007, 07:09 PM

I absolutely love it.

jrallen
28-09-2007, 08:31 PM

Well i wasnt saying that it was BETTER than any of those songs. i agree with those songs though, sunburn is deffinatly one of my favorites.

i was just pointing out that i really liked piano thing. to some of you, it may seem like noise, but to me, its a very beautiful, improvised piece that unfortunatly doesnt get any recognition

New Born Lee
28-09-2007, 09:13 PM
It's quite nice :)

seregon
28-09-2007, 11:20 PM
It does nothing for me I can't even remember how it goes rarely listen to it :erm:

ApocalypsePleasure2
29-09-2007, 04:34 AM
This thread is about piano thing none of the above.

Agreed but I'm merely comparing Piano Thing to these ace songs. Thus, it's not off topic.

alyssa_
29-09-2007, 05:20 AM
It's great. For a guy that hasn't taken piano lessons, pretty awesome improv! :LOL:

Tons of mistakes though, haha.

Lynzi
29-09-2007, 06:07 AM

I can put it on sendspace for you if you havnt got it. its mp3 though:erm:

LiT
29-09-2007, 09:01 AM
I love Piano Thing!!

glenndo4000
29-09-2007, 09:57 AM
if i could close this thread i would. piano thing is awesome tho.

pubicmage
29-09-2007, 10:31 AM
It's great. For a guy that hasn't taken piano lessons, pretty awesome improv! :LOL:

Tons of mistakes though, haha.

How can there be any mistakes if it's an improvisation?

Shadius
29-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Saying it's Matt banging on a piano is just ignorant. Whether you like the song or not, you should be able to appreciate the amount of effort that has gone in to the song to write it.

It dosn't sound like that much thought was given to the structure tbh, it's more of an improv.

Improv skill, sure, but as a piece it's not that well thought out or anything.

jrallen
29-09-2007, 07:46 PM
How can there be any mistakes if it's an improvisation?

i was wondering the same thing...

Shadius
29-09-2007, 09:45 PM
um, you can go out of time, or hit keys poorly, or execute poor technique.

or I guess if there was an obvious key or melody in it, and it sounds like he hit a bum note that was out of place, those would be mistakes.

alyssa_
29-09-2007, 10:27 PM
^Exactly. There's places where I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to be sloppy... :LOL:

I can improv on the drums, and if I drop my stick, it's still screwing up. :LOL:

HarmonyLover
19-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Anyone criticizing this song hasn't ever listened to Chopin, because this is a 100% homage to Chopin. Essentially it's Matt Bellamy's Opus 1 - Nocturne.

Kylee
19-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't know where you can find the song to purchase, but they have Piano Thing and most other muse Riffs here: http://musewiki.org/Riffs_and_jams
Sorry if you knew this already :happy:

hyper_chondriac_muser
19-10-2008, 10:07 PM

Exactly. It's a beautiful piece an quite complex an layered, that's evident enough if you listen to it, so to compare it to a 2 year old is indeed ignorant. I like the fact that it's improvised/unstructured, makes it more impressive in a way. We need more Muse piano songs, they've got more heart! (Apocalypse Please, Ruled By Secrecy, Space Dementia, Hoodoo, Sunburn etc!) The next album needs at least 2 piano tracks!

HarmonyLover
19-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Exactly. It's a beautiful piece an quite complex an layered, that's evident enough if you listen to it, so to compare it to a 2 year old is indeed ignorant. I like the fact that it's improvised/unstructured, makes it more impressive in a way. We need more Muse piano songs, they've got more heart! (Apocalypse Please, Ruled By Secrecy, Space Dementia, Hoodoo, Sunburn etc!) The next album needs at least 2 piano tracks!

Maybe 2 grand pianos going at once?

Bazza12
19-10-2008, 10:30 PM
I don't know where you can find the song to purchase, but they have Piano Thing and most other muse Riffs here: http://musewiki.org/Riffs_and_jams
Sorry if you knew this already :happy:

Piano thing doesn't seem to be on that link, unless it's actually called something different?

Right, I found it in the singles section!

Lemon Tango
21-10-2008, 09:58 PM
It's not a song!

It's quite good, though. There are too many arpeggios, but it isn't bad.

There are never too many arpeggios according to matt

He really likes arpeggios

really
really
really likes arpeggios

HarmonyLover
21-10-2008, 10:36 PM

really
really
really likes arpeggios

Matt once came upon an arpeggio and like it. He kept on arpeggiating. He still liked it. He decided henceforth that he shall always be arpeggiating.

Niall
21-10-2008, 11:00 PM
He should drop the arpeggi next album. It's dull and annoying now. I'll be happy if they do the next album without any arpeggi and piano is kept to a Hoodoo-like minumum.

Riffs and jams on Musewiki is only used for riffs and jams. Weird that. Piano Thing can be found under one of the songs pages.

HarmonyLover
22-10-2008, 12:02 AM
He should drop the arpeggi next album. It's dull and annoying now. I'll be happy if they do the next album without any arpeggi and piano is kept to a Hoodoo-like minumum.

Riffs and jams on Musewiki is only used for riffs and jams. Weird that. Piano Thing can be found under one of the songs pages.

To hell with that! I want MORE arpeggios!

Niall
22-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Bliss
Space Dementia
Screenager
Shine
Apocalypse Please
Stockholm Syndrome
Falling Away With You
Take A Bow
Starlight
Knights Of Cydonia

There's probably more. But it's old already. They all tend to have a very similar sound as well. For me it's refreshing to listen to Showbiz and not hear them in the background every few songs.

Ragdoll_Rocket_Baby
22-10-2008, 01:08 PM
i agree, just piano is BORIN

Bliss, Stockholm Syndrome & Starlight show how piano sould be done!

theres probably others as well but i cant remember them atm

just listened to sunburn for the first time, thats immense

Phill
22-10-2008, 02:55 PM
just listened to sunburn for the first time, thats immense

:stunned: :facepalm:

Priad-Luabe
22-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Ruled by secrecy is an awsome piano track, and the solo in butterflies and hurricanes thats just piano isnt it

Grace_Bliss
17-06-2010, 04:17 PM
I like piano thing......... :p people saying he made too many mistakes or there are too many arpeggios or whatever are obviously jealous they can't play as well as Matt can :phu: i wish i could!

Scott Morrison
17-06-2010, 08:03 PM
I love this piece, maybe because I play piano and am generally a huge Romantic period piano nerd, but I think that perhaps those who do like it are maybe people who have an interest in the more "classical" side of things.

CarrieB
17-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I love Piano Thing too. I think he does make some mistakes in it, but I still find it pretty cool to listen to. He's not a trained pianist, self taught I believe so I just love that he has that level of creativity and composes on the piano, and I like hearing him messing about on it, and I really love hearing him play the piano pieces in the songs.

Babylonia
17-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Piano thing is nice. I find it interesting that Matt managed to write so many great songs and on top of that compose purely instrumental stuff like Piano thing or Bedroom Acoustics around 2001-2002. That is quite a feat.

Of course he makes some mistakes in it, but Matts musical and improvisational talent on the piano never had that much to do with precisely hitting the right notes;). Probably why he keeps on arpeggiating all the time (that word doesn't exist, right); it makes mistakes in a more complex musical piece less noticeable.

spark_
18-06-2010, 06:01 AM
I think it's absolutely brilliant. As a piece of improvisation, it's amazing.

And I like that there are a few mistakes in there, makes it clear that it is an "organic" improv.

Having said that... sheet music, anyone? Please?

Izzy
18-06-2010, 09:29 AM
I think it's absolutely brilliant. As a piece of improvisation, it's amazing.

And I like that there are a few mistakes in there, makes it clear that it is an "organic" improv.

+ 1 :)

tacojjj
18-06-2010, 04:42 PM
First off, i think it's some of Matts better piano work. I say this because Piano Thing was nothing more than improvisation. Most of these insults are coming from people who don't fully understand the way music works. Keep in mind, before you insult, that the song was made up on the fly. It wad not composed or written. It was simply played. Anyone should be commended for it. In this case, thank you Matthew Bellamy.

spark_
19-06-2010, 04:26 AM
First off, i think it's some of Matts better piano work. I say this because Piano Thing was nothing more than improvisation. Most of these insults are coming from people who don't fully understand the way music works. Keep in mind, before you insult, that the song was made up on the fly. It wad not composed or written. It was simply played. Anyone should be commended for it. In this case, thank you Matthew Bellamy.

+1

Tofu
19-06-2010, 05:45 AM

really
really
really likes arpeggios

:LOL: Too true. And also, the em, B, G chord progression. Which is in like, EVERY MUSE SONG EVER. almost.

ANYWAY....

I admit I didn't like Piano Thing the first time I heard it because of all the sloppy playing in it. But at the time I didn't realize it was an improvisation. I have a new appreciation for it now. It's quite an interesting piece, very raw.

spark_
19-06-2010, 06:22 AM
:LOL: Too true. And also, the em, B, G chord progression. Which is in like, EVERY MUSE SONG EVER. almost.

ANYWAY....

I admit I didn't like Piano Thing the first time I heard it because of all the sloppy playing in it. But at the time I didn't realize it was an improvisation. I have a new appreciation for it now. It's quite an interesting piece, very raw.
I must admit he does love B flat and E flat. A lot.

---

What most impresses me is the fact that above all the arpeggios and stuff and Rachmaninoffing he has a melody.

CarrieB
19-06-2010, 11:09 AM

I've just tried banging around on my keyboard and it doesn't sound anything like piano thing!

:LOL: It does make me laugh the extremes of expression people will go to if they want to insult something! I just saw that and the cool reply. :D

Two things I like about Piano Thing, one is that if it was tidied up slightly and stuck on Classic FM I wouldn't know it wasn't by a classical composer and that makes shivers go down my spine. The second is that Matt knows how to convey emotion through music. There's a nice melody in there and it's very dramatic.

Plug In Guy
19-06-2010, 11:32 AM
i think partly the piano thing is reborn in exogenesis, so its probably the begining of composing the symphonie, because matt said he began with writing exogenesis in the origin of symmetry era

Tofu
20-06-2010, 01:55 AM
You know what else I just realized is arpeggio happy? A lot of Chopin Etudes. :LOL:

Sandman
13-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Can't believe anyone would call Piano Thing shit.

It's an extremely complex piece of music and whether you like how it sounds or not, you should appreciate it as such.

Banksy.
13-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Can't believe anyone would call Piano Thing shit.

It's an extremely complex piece of music and whether you like how it sounds or not, you should appreciate it as such.

Yeah I agree with this, it's possibly one of my favourite piano songs.

Tjet
13-03-2011, 10:25 PM
It is?

Sandman
14-03-2011, 12:01 AM
It is?

Well alright, maybe 'extremely complex' was a bit of an exaggeration but it's blatantly not the work of 'a two year old bashing their head on the piano'

hairolfitri
28-08-2013, 01:01 PM
This is so beautiful because it's so simple. Probably one of my favorite B-side songs.