PDA

View Full Version : xy pad via midi

JJ
09-08-2007, 09:49 PM
i'm not sure if there is already a thread for this but has anyone found out how to build the kaoss pad's xy pad into a guitar so you can control things by midi? surely youve checked out "phil's" kaoss pad guitar but thats using RCA connectors (the type that connects the computers screen to the hard drive and shizz).
Because if i could do this by midi (like matts guitars) i could control my digitech whammy aswell and i could also choose to go wireless etc. cheers.

Fayth-in-Flyght
09-08-2007, 11:15 PM
There are a few videos I've seen on the 'Toob of a guy who rigged up his own XY pad, do a search for those if they help :)

red
10-08-2007, 08:10 AM
dont bother. go get a job in a bolt sorting factory where you belong and stop wasting time on distant dreams.

JJ
10-08-2007, 10:54 AM
its not a distant dream. i was really planning on doing this

red
10-08-2007, 11:22 AM
yah ok.

RichardWLester
10-08-2007, 11:31 AM
dont bother. go get a job in a bolt sorting factory where you belong and stop wasting time on distant dreams.

if this board was up to you know one would post atall, coz your well cool lolz

red
10-08-2007, 12:12 PM
conflict of opinion is natural, and i encourage it as this is what the internet is all about.

just because you cant string together a sentence to sway someone doesnt mean im antisocial.

tyechan
10-08-2007, 12:15 PM
isnt the xy pad a midi controller ?
so couldn't you connect to a computer and set the devices to the kaoss pad..
not sure about building one into your guitar seems abit dodgy since the kaoss pad does costs quite abit

cheddatom
10-08-2007, 12:42 PM
know one

Know this! No-one needs use English so erroneously!

Funguy
10-08-2007, 01:14 PM
if it's just the basic features of a KP you want there's meant to be a KP mini coming out and if I'm right it runs off a 9 volt supply.

tyechan
10-08-2007, 01:16 PM
COMING OUT?
its come out for like a year already!!!

Edit: oh btw the mini kaoss pad can do pretty much everything bellamy related functions, but doesnt have as many samples as the KP2 i think
you can buy it here. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-miniKP-KAOSS-Pad?sku=701806&src=3WFRWXX

Funguy
10-08-2007, 01:19 PM
COMING OUT?
its come out for like a year already!!!

Edit: oh btw the mini kaoss pad can do pretty much everything bellamy related functions, but doesnt have as many samples as the KP2 i think
you can buy it here. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-miniKP-KAOSS-Pad?sku=701806&src=3WFRWXX

has it? brill last time i read anything about it was just revealed.

JJ
10-08-2007, 01:37 PM
i was thinking of getting a mini kp. they have gone down in price by 20 :)
but i dont intend of putting velcro back on my guitar again. i did that with my fuzz factory and it looked stupid. but just the thought of having a kp 2 in your guitar would be so cool! i might just get a kp2 and build it in normally.

JJ
10-08-2007, 01:39 PM
normally as in, not midi based. but rca based. yeah. ermm....

Jaicen
10-08-2007, 01:52 PM
You know, there are easier ways to add an X/Y pad to your guitar than butchering a KP.
Think of all the millions of discarded laptops around....

tyechan
10-08-2007, 02:34 PM
ahhhh man is the touchpad of laptop similar i just threw out my old compaq... :(

JJ
10-08-2007, 02:37 PM
lol
still, even if you had the touchpad you would need everything else in a kp so *makes farting noise through mouth* jog on jaicen

the_man361
10-08-2007, 03:04 PM
its similar in that its a touchpad... but you'd need a way to make it output midi data.

and then something to process that data.

JJ
10-08-2007, 06:31 PM
its similar in that its a touchpad... but you'd need a way to make it output midi data.

and then something to process that data.
so in english that is?

Dramatic Hammer
10-08-2007, 06:38 PM
so in english that is?

You need:

Touchpad
Touchpad to midi converter
midi lead/wireless system
Midi thing ie kaos pad.

:rolleyes:

Jaicen
10-08-2007, 07:03 PM
The way I see it, if you're not smart enough to know how to take a touchpad, and make it output X/Y values, (or whatever), then you probably shouldn't be hacking up a KP. Similarly, nor should you be derisive of others that perhaps are trying to help...

JJ
10-08-2007, 07:08 PM
The way I see it, if you're not smart enough to know how to take a touchpad, and make it output X/Y values, (or whatever), then you probably shouldn't be hacking up a KP. Similarly, nor should you be derisive of others that perhaps are trying to help...

so in english that is? :P

revilo
10-08-2007, 10:46 PM
so in english that is? :P

You are a dumb shit that is way out their depth messing around with this.
:p haha, but that's the gist of it
if this board was up to you know one would post atall, coz your well cool lolz

It would be immeasurably appreciated if you would respectfully refrain from commencing the uttering of such profanity whilst you find yourself in such close proximity to my presence. CUNT!

JJ
11-08-2007, 08:54 AM
You are a dumb shit that is way out their depth messing around with this.
:p haha, but that's the gist of it

yeah i am a bit of a dumb shit. so for the record, what does omnipresent mean?

Sam2
11-08-2007, 10:03 AM
you can use the kaoss pad to control a whammy anyway, it has a midi output, so just make the kaoss in your guitar in a similar way to phil (or however you want) and the put a midi cable between the KP2 and the whammy (digitech?), you can then control the expression of the whammy with the kaoss. cool eh?

revilo
11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
yeah i am a bit of a dumb shit. so for the record, what does omnipresent mean?

use a fucking dictionary :p

the_man361
11-08-2007, 11:41 AM
you can use the kaoss pad to control a whammy anyway, it has a midi output, so just make the kaoss in your guitar in a similar way to phil (or however you want) and the put a midi cable between the KP2 and the whammy (digitech?), you can then control the expression of the whammy with the kaoss. cool eh?

thing is, you wouldnt want to put an entire kaoss pad into a guitar, if you wanted to have the pad in you need to remove the XY pad part and get rid of all the junk and re-route the midi output to go in your guitar with the pad, leaving the rest of the circuits inside the large kaoss pad shell

tyechan
11-08-2007, 12:15 PM
uh huh unless u put the mini kaoss you could probably route the whole thing into our guitar easily

red
11-08-2007, 01:20 PM
why fucking route for something you prolly will get bored of, just stick it behind your bridge. then it'll look like a transformerguitar.

JJ
11-08-2007, 04:11 PM
why fucking route for something you prolly will get bored of, just stick it behind your bridge. then it'll look like a transformerguitar.

telecasters, guitars in disguise? no.lol. i`ll put the kp2 on a stool next to my mic, board etc.

Chemie
29-12-2008, 11:15 PM
There are a few videos I've seen on the 'Toob of a guy who rigged up his own XY pad, do a search for those if they help :)

No way this guy did not just try and rip off scottish patter....the way he says toob am probably guessin hes american.....

.......eejit!

toff
29-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Somebodies got a dick up their ass....

coffee_and_tv
30-12-2008, 12:38 AM
No way this guy did not just try and rip off scottish patter....the way he says toob am probably guessin hes american.....

.......eejit!

you resurrected this thread for that?!?!?

ugh

theanatomyofguns
30-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Somebodies got a dick up their ass....

Don't look at me!

gazlang
30-12-2008, 01:38 PM
I have managed to get a pad from a KP1 and a hold button to send midi (via a microcontroller) to a KP3. It can be done!
I still have to play with the code a touch though to smooth the x/y pad signal and program an intelligent LED to respond to touch pad output. And I have yet to put it all into a guitar, but my guitar is on it's way, pre routed for my pad.
I'll post more info when it's all sorted.

Gareth

Tom!
30-12-2008, 01:45 PM
I have managed to get a pad from a KP1 and a hold button to send midi (via a microcontroller) to a KP3. It can be done!
I still have to play with the code a touch though to smooth the x/y pad signal and program an intelligent LED to respond to touch pad output. And I have yet to put it all into a guitar, but my guitar is on it's way, pre routed for my pad.

Gareth

If you get this working properly then you will be crowned a legend forever among the muse community.

Spyke
30-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Gareth
You stole my name! :mad::mad::mad:

theanatomyofguns
30-12-2008, 02:35 PM
If you get this working properly then you will be crowned a legend forever among electronic musicians

Fixeded

gazlang
30-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah, should provide a nice mod without hacking an expensive kaoss pad. You can use a touch pad for a DSlite for instance - on ebay for a fiver - and will fit nicely beneath most bridges and not just gibsons!

JJ
30-12-2008, 07:36 PM
my lovely thread :happy:

Musemaniac#2
31-12-2008, 03:38 PM

Gareth

are you trying to make the pad controll an external midi rig, like a emx-1 or w/e? if so then its pretty easy, just get a xy pad from maybe a korg nanopad only like 40, then remove the mini usb interface from the unit, remove any other parts needed for the pad to transmit midi signals through the usb port, mount the lot in your guitar, then use a mini-to-normal usb cable and then connect it to your computer. Using another of the same leads, run it from your emx-1 to the computer and use some software like ableton live etc. to transmit the midi signals from device to device

i think that would work anyway :)

gazlang
31-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Never seen a korg nano pad before!
My setup includes a full sized koass pad xy pad and a microcontroller circuit board measuring about 3cm x 2cm. The board changes analogue in from the pad (and signal from a hold switch) to midi.
I have set the midi commands to control a kaoss pad on channel 1 and a digitech whammy on channel 2 (their default commands) but it's not limited to these two devices, the setup will allow control of any midi device.
As said before though I still have a bit of smoothing on the code, and am in the middle of adding the ability to control program change with a rotary switch. Hopefully it will be sorted soon - just not able to spend too much time on it at the moment.

Musemaniac#2
31-12-2008, 05:04 PM
its not part of the kaoss range

sounds interested, at the moment i just have:

Ipod-audio out
|
audio in
|
Korg kaoss pad 3-audio out-Tc electronics firewire interface-Monitors
|
midi (via usb)
|