PDA

View Full Version : The Supermassive Blackhole Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Pluging
08-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Note from Gem: I've merged the majority of Supermassive Blackhole threads as people seem to have one off questions and there was so many threads! So I thought I'd just make you one huge one x

Most ppl are dismissing this song as a poppy song with poor lyrics but i think we should all step back and give the lyrics a deeper analysis.
I believe that these lyrics clearly point towards Matt's love of S&M.
First Verse:
"oooh baby dont you know i suffer?
oooh baby can you hear me moan?
you caught me under false pretenses
how long before you let me go?"
Self Explanatory: Suffering and Moaning!!
and he is clearly tied up/handcuffed.

"you set my soul alight" refers to the burning of his chest with candle-wax. The chest is where many believe their soul is.

1"glaciers melting in the dead of night
2 and the superstars sucked into the Supermassive"

We'll deal with this one line at a time...
1: this is a reference to the black-leather wearing clad dominatrix (supermassive black hole/whore) melting ice cubes onto Matt's sensitive nipples. Note the hyperbole - calling the ice cubes glaciers due to their seemingly large size when compared to his small nipples. This also indicates how painfull the experience was for him.

2: Matt is clearly the Superstar in this line, an innocent abroad who has been sucked into the dark and seedy world of S&M. SuperMassive.

"i thought i was a fool for no-one
ooh baby im a fool for you
you're the queen of the superficial
and how long before you tell the truth"

This is an allusion to the power differential in their relationship - she is the queen(powerfull dominatrix) and he is the fool. Reference to the superficial supports my theory to the deeper meaning to the song. Matt wonders how long before she sells her story to the tabloids.

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE
This lyric seems to have two meanings:

1 Matt here is borrowing a technique used by Kurt Cobain where he pronounces words in such a way as to create an ambiguity in the mind of the listener.. e.g. In the song Lithium Kurt sings "i love you im not gonna cry/crack. In this song Matt's lyrics may say "hole"(see explanation of meaning below) but the pronunciation is also meant to sound like whore i.e. the dominatrix. Supermassive is again a reference to how powerful she is relative to him, to her he is merely a fool to be toyed with as she pleases.

2 This line also reiterates the point mentioned earlier: he has been sucked into the dark and seedy world of S&M (SuperMassive), which is like a black hole from which he can see no escape.
Galaxies away if you will from his normal sexual activities(see previous post http://www.invictus.softmeg.com/forums.php?m=posts&p=16046#16046).

You will also note that this song contains a lot more repitition than earlier muse songs. The constant moaning (oooooooh aaah) is merely the cry of a tortured superstar. The recurring glacier and soul alight motifs have been explained already.

I hope you agree with me and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the meaning of the song

Jackstin
08-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Aren't all of muse's songs about S&M?

Green Mamba
08-05-2006, 04:28 PM
I simply think the title is referring to some one who is souless, as per the chorus.

The lyrics have been growing on me a lot.

ZombieEaten
08-05-2006, 04:33 PM
... and what a perfect genre of music to set such a meaning

Clunge
08-05-2006, 04:38 PM
So... SMBH is about Matt being sucked into an evil world of bondage and the likes?

MONKEH
08-05-2006, 04:43 PM
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
hahahhaaa...oh that's made my day.
bondage matt. :stunned:
scary.

UnintendedHysteria
08-05-2006, 04:48 PM
haha matt and bondage..s&m and muse...interesting combo there:LOL: i always thought the songs weren't supposed to make sense but hey maybe thats just me...or maybe the person analyzing this was having dirty thoughts at the time hmmm???:rolleyes:

ZombieEaten
08-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Remember the message from the band. Is SMBH this:

"Also, a sinister presence at the center of our Galaxy has inspired what could be described as a surprisingly casual manage-a-trois involving Prince, R2-D2 and the Queen when she was hot."

Becky boo
08-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Remember the message from the band. Is SMBH this:

"Also, a sinister presence at the center of our Galaxy has inspired what could be described as a surprisingly casual manage-a-trois involving Prince, R2-D2 and the Queen when she was hot."

:LOL: I think you might be right :LOL:

prissygirl
08-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Most ppl are dismissing this song as a poppy song with poor lyrics but i think we should all step back and give the lyrics a deeper analysis.
First Verse:

"you set my soul alight" refers to the burning of his chest with candle-wax. The chest is where many believe their soul is.

1: this is a reference to the black-leather wearing clad dominatrix (supermassive black hole/whore) melting ice cubes onto Matt's sensitive nipples. Note the hyperbole - calling the ice cubes glaciers due to their seemingly large size when compared to his small nipples. This also indicates how painfull the experience was for him.

2: Matt is clearly the Superstar in this line, an innocent abroad who has been sucked into the dark and seedy world of S&M. SuperMassive.

This is an allusion to the power differential in their relationship - she is the queen(powerfull dominatrix) and he is the fool. Reference to the superficial supports my theory to the deeper meaning to the song. Matt wonders how long before she sells her story to the tabloids.

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

1 Matt here is borrowing a technique used by Kurt Cobain where he pronounces words in such a way as to create an ambiguity in the mind of the listener.. e.g. In the song Lithium Kurt sings "i love you im not gonna cry/crack. In this song Matt's lyrics may say "hole"(see explanation of meaning below) but the pronunciation is also meant to sound like whore i.e. the dominatrix. Supermassive is again a reference to how powerful she is relative to him, to her he is merely a fool to be toyed with as she pleases.

2 This line also reiterates the point mentioned earlier: he has been sucked into the dark and seedy world of S&M (SuperMassive), which is like a black hole from which he can see no escape.
Galaxies away if you will from his normal sexual activities(see previous post http://www.invictus.softmeg.com/forums.php?m=posts&p=16046#16046).

You will also note that this song contains a lot more repitition than earlier muse songs. The constant moaning (oooooooh aaah) is merely the cry of a tortured superstar. The recurring glacier and soul alight motifs have been explained already.

I hope you agree with me and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the meaning of the song

ummmmmmm hot if you ask me lol:p

Ocelot Robot
08-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Amazing song, don't care what anybody says.:D :happy: :)

AJ20R
08-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Is it just me or are the new lyrics almost identicle to plug in baby?

Becky boo
08-05-2006, 04:54 PM
ummmmmmm hot if you ask me lol:p

Trust you :rolleyes: :LOL:

ZombieEaten
08-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Or, the S&M references are merely analogous with how fucked the world is, how we are fucking it up and how little control we have. The biggest impact climate change theorists go on about is melting ice caps.

MONKEH
08-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Or, the S&M references are merely analogous with how fucked the world is, how we are fucking it up and how little control we have. The biggest impact climate change theorists go on about is melting ice caps.
probably something along those lines...not sure about the S&M though..meh.
it's your basic muse doom doom doom kind of thing really.

Bonjour Cat
08-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Thread starter: You gave that way too much thought. It'll serve u right if you have a dream about that, tonight.

benashhug
08-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Is it just me or are the new lyrics almost identicle to plug in baby?

Eh...I wouldn't say so:

"My plug in baby, crucifies my enemy" most definitely isn't "Glaciers melting in the dead of night, and the superstar gets sucked into the supermassive" (Close enough!)

maanu
08-05-2006, 07:29 PM
its about sexual tensions between the artic monkeys mothhaaa and matt, when they met in some crappy discotheque in NY ...i´m sur3!!!1

no... I think you can interpret everything into this, but I quite like the S&M theory ^^ also think the lyrics arent that serious... and the way matt "screams" supermassive black hole just made me laugh...

but smbh is indeed a very sexy song...!!! :LOL:

fiona_j
08-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Why is S&M evil again??

Moss
08-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Why is S&M evil again??

Haha, you made me chuckle!

I think this songs about matt bellamys inability to stay away from making a pop songs, so he gave in and did! Hence "I'm a superstar sucked into the supermassive"

No_Biz_Like_Showbiz
08-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Thread starter: You gave that way too much thought. It'll serve u right if you have a dream about that, tonight.

Was kinda thinking the same thing. Strange, but fitting theory lol. :happy: :LOL:

The song has been slowly growing on me and I thought the lyrics were a bit dodgy to be honest, but with this idea, SMBH is genius lol. :LOL:

Katiane Carvalho
08-05-2006, 08:02 PM
:stunned: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....interesting your psychological theory, I like psychology:happy: , but I don't sure if this is really can discouver and understand the mind and the humans feelings. But I respect your opinion, I think it's really a bit interesting. Although, what's the thing is S&M?:confused:

AstroPenguin
08-05-2006, 08:05 PM
haha, the music video better portray this... matt tied up with britney whipping him, pouring hot wax, and melting ice on his nipples

Keys
08-05-2006, 08:05 PM
lmao this has made my day!

Max Moon
08-05-2006, 08:09 PM
This song is basically about a SUPER MASSIVE hole , which kind of is then up to anyone interpretation here

Enemy
08-05-2006, 08:17 PM
First Verse:

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

I am not wholly sure if this would be the truth, Matt's lyrics tend to be in-your-face more than complex.

But I am actually swayed to your view, as FUCK ME was this a good analysis :D :D

Fynn
08-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Jeez..

Well, if you put it like that ( the analysis of the lyrics)..hmmmm...it's an even worse song then I thought it was..lol...I mean. It sounds slick, easy on the ears..smooth...and not at all like pain..or the love for pain for that matter..
Hmmmm...
weird...

Strawberry_Juice
08-05-2006, 10:09 PM
I got to the part about "sensitive nipples" and was convinced this was a sneaky way of posting graphic Muse fanfiction on the board. :stunned:

No. Just no.

inn
08-05-2006, 10:10 PM

:LOL:

Cloud Cuckoo
08-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Well, at least this is better than that theory about Muscle Museum been about masturbation... or "mattsturbation". :rolleyes:

Dom said once he liked kinky sex, maybe... No, I won't finish this thought. :stunned:

inepta
08-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Mattsturbation! :LOL:

well...i think the lyrics supposed to be a big joke, to me they're making fun of people like Britney Spears as they said this album would be the happiest and funniest one! :) *hopes deeply this is it*

even...Black Holes :noey:

Imperium
08-05-2006, 11:02 PM
First Verse:

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

im sorry, but no no and no

Darkshines
09-05-2006, 01:23 AM
I felt so unclean after reading this post :horns: :noey:

copilot
09-05-2006, 01:36 AM
great. the song is ruined for me even before i hear it.

and now muscle museum is fsking screwed up.

GREAT. :mad:

Darkshines
09-05-2006, 01:41 AM
great. the song is ruined for me even before i hear it.

and now muscle museum is fsking screwed up.

GREAT. :mad:

http://www.myspace.com/newmusestuff
Here ya go
And yes, it does ruin it :stunned:

That Little Animal
09-05-2006, 01:46 AM

You could be my unintended
He was young, had no grown up S&M intentions yet
Choice to live my life extended
But he was determined to go in a hardcore S&M stretching machine to continue his life as an extended being
You could be the one I'll always love
He could fall in love with the whole S&M thing
You could be the one who listens to my deepest inquisitions
He found someone he could share his Spanish Inquisition style fantasies with..
You could be the one I'll always love
And love her/him eternally for sharing his S&M fantasy with him

I'll be there as soon as I can
He's cumming soon
But I'm busy mending broken pieces of the life I had before
But he's busy trying to put together the bloody pieces of the former lovers he S&M-ed a little to hard.

First there was the one who challenged
His psychiatrist tried to challenge and fight his filthy lusts
All my dreams and all my balance
His filthy dreams and Balanced S&M lovelife were challenged
She could never be as good as you
But the bitchy shrink could never win it from his love for S&M

Choice to live my life extended
You should be the one I'll always love

Before you

Pretty much a repeat. He loves the stretch machine, dismembered lotsa lovers, and now found the true love who's sturdy enough to enjoy the S&M thing together with him.

Darkshines
09-05-2006, 01:55 AM
:noey:

Strawberry_Juice
09-05-2006, 02:46 AM
He was young, had no grown up S&M intentions yet...
You > ALL. :LOL:
Didn't you also do that "interpretation" of Sunburn?

That Little Animal
09-05-2006, 02:53 AM
You > ALL. :LOL:
Didn't you also do that "interpretation" of Sunburn?

I did a bunch...

shining_dark
09-05-2006, 10:31 AM
i heard supermassive blackhole on triple J for the first time tonight and these was bassically my reactions.... :eek: :stunned: :( (all at the same time)

I heard on triple J that they were going to play the new muse single shortly and i was looking foward to it. I had high expectations and it finally came on and as soon as it started i thought 'this is ok'. and then when he spoke that first line my eyes grew wider in shock. and all throughout the whole song i was thinking that there was some mix up. This couldn't be muse! but it was and i was horrified.

muse have been my favourite band for nealy 2 years now and i have loved them because they are different and they are arty and i respected that. Then I heard this song and i lost a bit of respect for them. it wasn't arty or different. they sounded like they were trying to get into the commercial industry, sounded like they were trying to whip up all the teenages into their music. sounded like they were making disco muic to be played at night clubs. I admit that some of it was catchy but i'm sry but it wasn't what i was hoping for or what i expected from them.
I loved their old stuff but this just hit me in an awkward position, and i for one don't like disco and techno and rap music at all.

What happened to the old muse? The muse we all loved.

:$

soumya86
09-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Oh there goes my theory out the windoe that it's about a african lady with a big vagina :rolleyes:

kilbride
09-05-2006, 12:54 PM
muse have been my favourite band for nealy 2 years now and i have loved them because they are different and they are arty and i respected that. Then I heard this song and i lost a bit of respect for them. it wasn't arty or different. they sounded like they were trying to get into the commercial industry, sounded like they were trying to whip up all the teenages into their music. sounded like they were making disco muic to be played at night clubs. I admit that some of it was catchy but i'm sry but it wasn't what i was hoping for or what i expected from them.
I loved their old stuff but this just hit me in an awkward position, and i for one don't like disco and techno and rap music at all.

It is different from what they've done before, but to 'lose respect' for them is an over reaction.

I don't understand fans who hype up Muse's unpredictability and then moan when they actually go against their prediction and release something 'un-Musey'. 'Tis a great tune, and it's about time Muse did something dancey and had a bit of fun.

BTW, Soumya86 - like your sig... :D

And back to topic: S&M. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Caff
09-05-2006, 12:59 PM
I don't get how people can't see that Muse are a commercial band.

soumya86
09-05-2006, 01:00 PM
It is different from what they've done before, but to 'lose respect' for them is an over reaction.

This.

it's about time Muse did something dancey and had a bit of fun.

This.

BTW, Soumya86 - like your sig... :D

why fankoo :D Create your own playlist to show peeps @ www.last.fm

kilbride
09-05-2006, 01:03 PM
I don't get how people can't see that Muse are a commercial band.
Agree. I think people forget the mainstream is enormous and caters for tastes as diverse as Muse, Girls Aloud, Kanye West and Massive Attack, all acts that are wildly different from each other but have wider recognition. I think its a need to be part of some gang, or just a bit of good old fashioned musical-taste snobbishness (is that a word?).

why fankoo :D

no problem :)

soumya86
09-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Agree. I think people forget the mainstream is enormous and caters for tastes as diverse as Muse, Girls Aloud, Kanye West and Massive Attack, all acts that are wildly different from each other but have wider recognition. I think its a need to be part of some gang, or just a bit of good old fashioned musical-taste snobbishness (is that a word?).

no problem :)
what I don't get is why do people need to be "snobby" about music they listen to? I think being all like "Meh t4ste in Musac is teh r0x0r n urz is teh sux0r, deafth 2 mainsteem musac!!!" is so immature.

I feel like gabbing them and saying "Everyone's got different tastes in music you n00bs!!!!"

kilbride
09-05-2006, 01:30 PM
what I don't get is why do people need to be "snobby" about music they listen to? I think being all like "Meh t4ste in Musac is teh r0x0r n urz is teh sux0r, deafth 2 mainsteem musac!!!" is so immature.

I feel like gabbing them and saying "Everyone's got different tastes in music you n00bs!!!!"
They certainly need a good slapping. I mean, so what if something is mainstream? It pisses me off when people only seem to have ears for a particular style or scene and think listening to anything out of that scene is heresy because they think it's uncool. It's like living in a cave.

*looks for such people to have a good scrap with...or maybe not.* ;)

italy00
09-05-2006, 02:52 PM
what's S&M?

Bjorny
09-05-2006, 02:53 PM
what's S&M?

A BMX company from Sheffield

miss villkhu[TSP]
09-05-2006, 07:32 PM
as a result of scratching my head while pondering on your theory i have come the a conclusion:

my hair needs washing:supertong

Sarah
09-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Clever. I thought it was about faking orgasms.

shining_dark
10-05-2006, 01:35 AM

i guess your're right there lol i was in a shitty mood last night :p
(but that doesn't mean what i said i didn't mean)
and btw when i said different i meant unique, different from other bands.

kilbride
10-05-2006, 12:10 PM
i guess your're right there lol i was in a shitty mood last night :p
(but that doesn't mean what i said i didn't mean) .

Don't worry. I wasn't slating your opinion, or anything, just the lose respect thing got to me. It seems that in 'real life' (i.e. outside this messageboard where I admittedly spend a lot more of my time) everybody I've spoken to about it love it. Even if they're not Muse fans, which is quite a feat, including my Bez-dancing type disco-loon friend. But this board is full of negative opinions ("He doesn't sound like he's in pain! He doesn't sound like he's being drowned while simultaneously getting caught in his fly!I hate it!" type stuff :rolleyes: ), and I saw your post and snapped a bit. Sorry. :)

and btw when i said different i meant unique, different from other bands.

Yes, but on the same point, how many bands radically change their sound for a single. I still think they have a unique edge - live, they're untouchable, and now they can actually live up to the 'unpredictable' tag.

It's a risky move, but I think it will pay off drawing in new fans. And I like it, so I'm obviously going to stick up for it!
:p

hyper_museic
10-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Ok guys, how about actually listening to the lyrics;
Glaciers melting in the dead of night, and the superstar sucked into the supermassive (black hole);
:erm: isnt this just about global warming n how everything in the universe is gradually being pulled into black holes??? :confused: ...or is that just a bit too obvious??:happy: Apocalypse Please!!!
I am liking the S&M thoery tho, impressive, wouldn't have come up with that one just from listening to the song, fits in with the 1st few lines of the song tho.
I also agree with whoever said that the person who's post that was spent faaarrrr 2much time on that,i think uve got some matt/bondage fantasies going on in that head of urs.;)
Love the song though, different but funky n matts voice sounds very sexy, again. Cant wait for the album to be released :D

italy00
10-05-2006, 01:25 PM
A BMX company from Sheffield

hum... ok.
what's S&M?

ZombieEaten
10-05-2006, 01:27 PM
agreed - said that on page 1 with S&M used as metaphor.

The earth could be what is suffering, we are punishing ourselves etc. for simple pleasures and destroying the world. That said, the queen telling the truth is hard to make fit which brings you back to the S&M/whore theory.

Glaciers melting is itself a metaphor for slow but unstoppable change, even in a "dead night" they are melting. One can also see Glaciers melting due to the "massive" heat of a NY night club.

Another thought - Glaciers could refer to the NY night sky, ever been to NY in the oppressive heat of the summer? The massive glass and concrete skyscrapers suck up the heat of the day and you are dripping with sweat just walking a block.

ocean5
10-05-2006, 01:37 PM
.agreed - said that on page 1 with S&M used as metaphor.
Glaciers could refer to the NY night sky, ever been to NY in the oppressive heat of the summer? The massive glass and concrete skyscrapers suck up the heat of the day and you are dripping with sweat just walking a block.

True...
You're dripping with sweat the minute you step out outside ;) that's why every block or so we go into a store just to cool down :)

ZombieEaten
10-05-2006, 01:40 PM
I'll keep this in this song theory thread. Just read about something called the Glacier Principle by a wilderness author called Rick Bass. And we all know that Matt goes on about the oil crash, collecting firewood, survival etc...

This from a Christian web site - it is not a Christian principle, they are using the metaphor too.

http://www.christiancentury.org/article.lasso?id=1195

"Talking at length about the contemplative life under American conditions seems just absurd. It seems such a fragile way of life in this culture of massive technology, arrogant leadership, pushing and shoving, insatiable consumerism. Contemplation? Kingfishers and dragonflies? Stones . . . tumbled over roundy wells? It's so inefficient, so ineffective. (EDIT: religious bit for the atheists to ignore: Yet Jesus tells us to do it this way.)

Rick Bass, a very good writer, is another Montana neighbor of mine. Besides being an excellent writer, Bass is a fervent environmentalist. Environmentalists care deeply about this creation, which is a good thing, but a lot of them are also pretty mean-spirited, angry, even violent—verbally if not physically. Bass is small of stature, elf-like, energetic, and laughing, it seems, most of the time. There's not a polemical bone in his body. He hosts parties for the loggers and the miners, working for common ground, developing a language of courtesy and understanding.

Bass wrote an essay recently that I consider required reading for anyone who cares about the contemplative life, immersed as we are in this impatient, shortcut addictive culture. He writes that when confronted with a complex and difficult task, he used to imagine himself laying down one brick after another, brick by brick by brick, to eventually accomplish his aims. But he's recently changed his metaphor from bricks to glaciers. A glacier is the most powerful force the world has ever seen. Literally nothing can stop a glacier.

A glacier is formed by the falling of snow that collects over a period of time. As the snow deepens, the weight compresses, ice forms, then more snow, then more ice, year after year— and nothing happens. Nothing happens until that glacier is 64-feet thick. Then it starts to move and nothing can stop it.

Bass notes that one theory about the origin of glaciers is that they are "the result of a wobble, a hitch, in the earth's rotation. . . . Glaciers get built or not built, simply, miraculously, because the earth is canting a single one-trillionth of a degree in this direction for a long period of time, rather than in that direction." And then this comment: "When I am alone in the woods, and the struggle seems insignificant or futile, or when I am in a public meeting and am being kicked all over the place, I tell myself that little things matter—and I believe that they do. I believe that even if your heart leans just a few degrees to the left or the right of center, that with enough resolve, which can substitute for mass, and enough time, a wobble will one day begin, and the ice will begin to form, where for a long time previous there might have been none. Keep it up for a lifetime or two or three, and then one day—it must—the ice will begin to slide" (The Roadless Yak, Lyons Press).

Angeleyes
10-05-2006, 01:40 PM
agreed - said that on page 1 with S&M used as metaphor.

yep

ZombieEaten
10-05-2006, 01:51 PM
The Superficial!

http://www.thesuperficial.com/ :eek: :eek:

About The Superficial

The Superficial is a brutally honest look at society and its obsession with the superficial. It is not satire. It is not social commentary. It is the voice of our society at its worst. It is first impressions without sense of social obligation. It is the truth of our generation. It is ugly racism. It is jealousy. It is honest.

Just kidding. Our goal is to make fun of as many people as possible.
Send Us Something Superficial

The Superficial is always looking for new things to scrutinize, whether it be the latest celeb of the moment or the current internet goober. We respect our readers' anonymity as much as we love our own and we highly encourage reader submissions. First hand accounts of celebrity encounters or an exclusive video clip are all things we're interested in. The more superficial the better. You can send us tips by using our submission form.

ZombieEaten
10-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Disclaimer

The Superficial is a celebrity gossip site which publishes rumors and conjecture in addition to accurately reported facts. Information on this site may or may not be true and The Superficial makes no warranty as to the validity of any claims.

Pluging
10-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Fellow poetry and psychology fans, I feel I may have overlooked an important detail. So far we have all been assuming that the whore is female. Now this is not the place to get into the issues of gender roles and sexism but I fear that both have been at play here.

You'll notice that for most of the song Matt sings at a higher, Prince-like pitch, indicating his powerlessness and submissive state.

When the SuperMassive Black Whore begins to sing "supermassive black whore", however, it's at a much lower, more masculine pitch. Friends, this allows me to draw only one conclusion..... Matt has been sucked into the SuperMassive black hole of gay S&M. We can now see another example of Bellamy's skills as a lyricist - "Queen" not only refers to the power dynamics in the relationship but also to the sexual orientation of the SuperMassive Black Whore.

You may also notice how Dominic's drumming is quite different to his usual style. This signifies that he too is exploring new ground and is being sucked into the SuperMassive. The style of drumming is also electronic, perhaps a drum machine is being used. If this is the case, what has Dom been doing throughout the song? I can only hope that it did not involve ice cubes, candles and Matt's nipples.....

If one listens very carefully during the final chorus you may hear that there is in fact a three part vocal harmony. The third, least obvious lower voice is singing what I may only describe as the words, "whip, whip, whip, whip, whip.......".

Matt is undoubtedly aware of his fans' tendency to assign accronyms to song titles e.g PIB=Plug in Baby, TIRO=Time is Running Out etc. He knew that this song would inevitably become known as SMBH, especially as it is the first single and would be discussed intently on message boards. This accronym basically sums up what the song is about: S&M, Blatantly Homosexual.

This song is written in a poppy style not because Matt and the boys wanted a chart topping single but for a much more subtle reason. Most fans of rock music who enjoy the odd bit of pop music consider it their own dark, dirty little secret; a secret which they would not like to share with the world. Practitioners of S&M have a similar attitude to their sexual adventures. Hence the most appropriate genre for a rockstar, comme Matt, to use to express his obsession with S&M is clearly pop.

Now don't all you 'fans' who accused them of selling out feel a bit guilty??

Eva Aim Karem
10-05-2006, 04:05 PM
i know i am out of the topic...
but i can't understand everything...

what is the meaning of "S&M"???:$

ZombieEaten
10-05-2006, 04:07 PM

You're too young for me to answer that.

kilbride
10-05-2006, 04:08 PM

Salami and meatballs. Or so I've been told. :rolleyes:

Pluging
10-05-2006, 04:11 PM
This is S&M - not suitable for the innocent of mind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadomasochism

Darkshines
10-05-2006, 04:13 PM
wikipedia is God

Strawberry_Juice
10-05-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm sitting here in boring required typing class, reading this, and the room was very quiet until just a few moments ago...

*click click tak tak click tak* BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! *typing stops*

I shouldn't be on here during school...

Gay SM?! Fer fook's sake. :LOL:
I stand by what I said before, this is someone's sneaky attempt at posting slashy Muse fanfiction! :erm:

polka_dot_princess
19-05-2006, 09:43 AM
::rofl::

Josh
19-05-2006, 09:52 AM
If it is about S&M.. :stunned:

The title..

insane_muser
19-05-2006, 10:05 AM
:LOL: Gay S&M...please dont wreck the song for me lol

Matthijs
19-05-2006, 10:48 AM
What happened to the old muse? The muse we all loved.

They arent gone fo rme.. KNIGHTS OF CYDONIA!!!!!!

**sober**(sadly)
19-05-2006, 10:56 AM
i love this song be it about bondage s&m or other sexual activities :D dunno if that says somin about me though !:happy:

DarkshinesArcana
19-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Now don't all you 'fans' who accused them of selling out feel a bit guilty??

Yeah and all the ones who jumped on the Time is Running Out band wagon and then jumped off cuz of SMBH:p

Muse rock!

Moss
19-05-2006, 11:35 AM
I get the impression that bellamy only writes songs from memorys and things that he's seen or done! (he said that onces) So if it IS about S&M he musta had a go :S

insane_muser
19-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Oooh....*gets excited*
But i dont like pain...lol

Moss
19-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Oooh....*gets excited*
But i dont like pain...lol

TAKE IT LITTLE BITCH!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

insane_muser
19-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Lol

:( :(

uka
25-05-2006, 03:26 PM
MuseLive.com:

Details of the new single are beginning to emerge.

It seems as though the b-side to Supermassive Black Hole will be Crying Shame.

Also, it seems the new artwork will be this:

http://www.play4me.com.au/coverscan/690000/688400.jpg

Although, this has not yet been confirmed.

Looks... weird :)

MuseIsBeautiful
25-05-2006, 03:27 PM
http://invictus.softmeg.com/index.php#shout well? genuine or not?

uka
25-05-2006, 03:27 PM
lol, I just posted that too :)

Ollie of Symmetry
25-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Ye thats the real thing i reckon...

Chaos Is Me!
Thats horrible! my brand new one was better!

MuseIsBeautiful
oops we posted at the same time :) you can lock mine

Jackstin
25-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Nope its obviously fake, and crying shame probably isnt the first b-side.

Im willing to be proved wrong though.

MuseIsBeautiful
25-05-2006, 03:29 PM
look at their source http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MUSE-SUPERMASSIVE-BLACK-HOLE-2-TRACK-CD_W0QQitemZ4886379102QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZW D2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem makes it look very unreliable to me

Monkey Butler
25-05-2006, 03:30 PM
boooooobs!!!

Lii
25-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Either way it's still interesting.

Jackstin
25-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Plus look at the shitty quality? Why would muse send a shitty quality picture of the new artwork to some minor european store.

Plus we know the guy doing the artwork for the album is the same guy as for absolution and b&h. He is a photographer. Either they'll use him, or they'll just use some wierd screen of the video like with TIRO.

MuseIsBeautiful
25-05-2006, 03:33 PM
plus if that was the artwork presumably it would be photgraphed, or have muse on the front? i'm 99% certain its fake now

uka
25-05-2006, 03:34 PM
I was first!!

lol

someone close this one please

licia_t
25-05-2006, 03:43 PM
It reminds me of the S&M hypothesis about the meaning of SBH... :D

Henz
25-05-2006, 03:50 PM
It's SBH :p

Ollie of Symmetry
25-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Anyone else remember the same thing happenin with the Abso Tour DVD:p

its real allright ;)

Clunge
25-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Ewwwww :stunned:

Gemsy
25-05-2006, 03:59 PM
I done merged the freads

uka
25-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I done merged the freads

icecream for you <8

Bloody Excited
25-05-2006, 05:00 PM
its very strange, i don't mind. but i prefer pictures, i mean photos

Puppet
25-05-2006, 05:03 PM
you can see the ladies booby nipples.

uka
25-05-2006, 05:23 PM
wait a minute... is it... Marilyn Manson??? :eek:

Canadian
25-05-2006, 05:27 PM
wait a minute... is it... Marilyn Manson??? :eek:
:LOL:

fairy lights
25-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Arty Farty.

Beast Love
25-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Arty Farty.

ha ha, ace sig.

And all over the muse site, it's spelt Super Massive, as in two words.

So it's safe to distinguish the song as SMBH and the supermassive black hole and SBH.

Though Kirky's first thread had it as one word.

silly boy.

[DT|_Me]DEADSTAR
25-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I think that's still a fake. I don't like that one... Bring something with the owl man!

Chaos Is Me!
25-05-2006, 08:25 PM
DEADSTAR']I think that's still a fake. I don't like that one... Bring something with the owl man!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/BPMdotEXE/Random/O_RLY.jpg

Shrinking Universe
25-05-2006, 08:50 PM
And all over the muse site, it's spelt Super Massive, as in two words.

So it's safe to distinguish the song as SMBH and the supermassive black hole and SBH.

Ever checked that site?? ;) It says Supermassive everywhere :LOL:

edit: just forget about the download button, but that's the only one ;)

Beast Love
25-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Ever checked that site?? ;) It says Supermassive everywhere :LOL:

edit: just forget about the download button, but that's the only one ;)

Well, you can't "forget about" the download button, as it's staring you right in the face as soon as you get on. I wasn't gonna search through to see if they spelt it differently anywhere else.

Which I just did.

Ok, well, they need to get it sorted :rolleyes:

Tom refers to it as two words at various times also.

So...I was just pointing it out.

Shrinking Universe
25-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Well, you can't "forget about" the download button, as it's staring you right in the face as soon as you get on. I wasn't gonna search through to see if they spelt it differently anywhere else.

Which I just did.

Ok, well, they need to get it sorted :rolleyes:

Tom refers to it as two words at various times also.

So...I was just pointing it out.
TBH the only references other than the button are in the news section, all saying SBH... We'll see what the CD case says, won't we?

red
25-05-2006, 09:16 PM
if storm thorgersson is doing it i will await with baited breath. i didnt really like asbo artwork. looked a bit plain compared with oos :/

anyhoo that artwork looks alright, i like it :)

MuseIsBeautiful
26-05-2006, 02:01 PM
its genuine. got it from the horses mouth :p

No_Biz_Like_Showbiz
26-05-2006, 02:22 PM
i like it, whether its genuine or not lol.

PlugInMuse
26-05-2006, 04:31 PM
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=468045

HMV have it as the artwork.
im guessing its real.

uka
26-05-2006, 04:33 PM
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=468045

HMV have it as the artwork.
im guessing its real.

it looks so much better with the muse sticker on it :)

oohh and it matches the HMV site :)

punkstarr
26-05-2006, 05:26 PM
They need to put muse stickers on the lady's nipples.

Jackstin
26-05-2006, 05:41 PM
I was wrong :p I should always go against my initial gut reaction.

So Crying Shame is the b-side. And yes the artwork does look alot better in higher resolution.

EDIT: Im guessing you've all checked the email which proves this is real *eats hat*

It says that formats include, vinyl, dvd and digital download....no mention of CD though.

Could it be? That there is no CD edition?

Rainbow
26-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Oh God. :stunned: I don't like it at all. :(
Muse has a faminine side, but never ghey (unstylishly girly).

Liam
26-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Oh God. :stunned: I don't like it at all. :(
Muse has a faminine side, but never ghey (unstylishly girly).

Feminine :D

lol, sorry :p I'm picky with mistakes and all that

Rainbow
26-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Feminine :D

lol, sorry :p I'm picky with mistakes and all thatI could say you're "Femme-mean" if you were a girl, but you are not, dammit! :LOL:

Stix
26-05-2006, 06:21 PM
omg, is that matt?
http://www.jaspergoodall.com/observer.jpg

Emma_Muse
26-05-2006, 06:27 PM
I was wrong :p I should always go against my initial gut reaction.

So Crying Shame is the b-side. And yes the artwork does look alot better in higher resolution.

EDIT: Im guessing you've all checked the email which proves this is real *eats hat*

It says that formats include, vinyl, dvd and digital download....no mention of CD though.

Could it be? That there is no CD edition?

http://www.recordstore.co.uk/home.jsp?wherefrom=productdetail.jsp?productPK=uni ttest-AxwnAZXbYwcsCAwTpN3IEb-13

this says there is, i hope so

search within
26-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Is it me, or does the artwork look sorta Franz Ferdinand? :)

I dunno if I like it yet though... I really hope the album artwork is not like that.... :noey:

Hyper
26-05-2006, 06:40 PM
i just got it from Warner

MUSE NEWS - 26.05.06

This summer MUSE return, releasing their fourth studio album BLACK HOLES & REVELATIONS on 3rd July 2006.

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7395/singlesleeve9eo.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Supermassive Black Hole, the first single to be taken from the new album will be released in the UK on 19th June 2006. Formats will include a DVD single, 7" vinyl and digital download. Pre-order it here now.

The video for Supermassive Black Hole is online NOW! You can watch it by clicking here.

You can also get the ringtone for Supermassive Black Hole in the UK by texting MUSE1 to 82822. (Tones cost £3, for terms and conditions click here).

BLACK HOLES & REVELATIONS

The new album Black Holes & Revelations is out in the UK on 3rd July 2006! The tracklisting is as follows:

Take A Bow
Starlight
Supermassive Black Hole
Map Of The Problematique
Soldier's Poem
Invincible
Assassin
Exo-Politics
City Of Delusion
Hoodoo
Knights Of Cydonia

Read some great reviews of the album, from the silent disco album playback in London on 16th May on Playlouder, Disorder and Popjustice!

XFM HALL OF FAME

Muse have been shortlisted to become inaugural inductees to Xfm's Hall Of Fame. The online poll will decide which band should go forward so click here to vote for Muse!

www.muse.mu

uka
26-05-2006, 06:43 PM
yeah it's official now :)

Beast Love
26-05-2006, 06:44 PM
oooh, dvd single.

Ocelot Robot
26-05-2006, 06:44 PM
oooh, dvd single.
It doesn't have the b-side on it though.:(

Hyper
26-05-2006, 06:59 PM
omg, is that matt?
http://www.jaspergoodall.com/

i think that real stripper instruction what made them pick this artist

fabien
26-05-2006, 07:28 PM
http://www.jaspergoodall.com/burle.jpg

inepta
26-05-2006, 07:37 PM
i just got it from Warner

MUSE NEWS - 26.05.06

This summer MUSE return, releasing their fourth studio album BLACK HOLES & REVELATIONS on 3rd July 2006.

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7395/singlesleeve9eo.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Supermassive Black Hole, the first single to be taken from the new album will be released in the UK on 19th June 2006. Formats will include a DVD single, 7" vinyl and digital download. Pre-order it here now.

The video for Supermassive Black Hole is online NOW! You can watch it by clicking here.

You can also get the ringtone for Supermassive Black Hole in the UK by texting MUSE1 to 82822. (Tones cost £3, for terms and conditions click here).

BLACK HOLES & REVELATIONS

The new album Black Holes & Revelations is out in the UK on 3rd July 2006! The tracklisting is as follows:

Take A Bow
Starlight
Supermassive Black Hole
Map Of The Problematique
Soldier's Poem
Invincible
Assassin
Exo-Politics
City Of Delusion
Hoodoo
Knights Of Cydonia

Read some great reviews of the album, from the silent disco album playback in London on 16th May on Playlouder, Disorder and Popjustice!

XFM HALL OF FAME

Muse have been shortlisted to become inaugural inductees to Xfm's Hall Of Fame. The online poll will decide which band should go forward so click here to vote for Muse!

www.muse.mu

i was about to say that. late! :$

That Little Animal
26-05-2006, 07:55 PM
And once again they've created a cover, song and video that don't go together and have nothing to do with each other...

Clunge
26-05-2006, 07:55 PM
And once again they've created a cover, song and video that don't go together and have nothing to do with each other...
Ah well.

Sylvie
26-05-2006, 07:58 PM
The designer is a famous British artist : Jasper Goodall
http://www.jaspergoodall.com/

uka
26-05-2006, 07:58 PM

Ocelot Robot
26-05-2006, 07:59 PM
The boobs are pretty suppermassive.:rolleyes:

inepta
26-05-2006, 08:07 PM
btw, it says nothing about crying shame! :erm:

Mu$e008
26-05-2006, 08:17 PM
:rolleyes: Of course MUSE is a fool band:D !! But your explanation is too... hum... how say that??? .... your explanation is too bizarre..!! (i don't know how explain it really)... I think that this song talks about a man who is prisoner of his relationship with "the" girl.. He's dow-and-out!! Humm.. but i think that to know the truth, it'll be better to ask MUSE!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Rainbow
27-05-2006, 02:48 AM
The designer is a famous British artist : Jasper Goodall
http://www.jaspergoodall.com/He has many nice stuff there. Thank you for a link, Sylvie. :)
But I still don't like it because --- I don't see the consequences of Muse - SBH - this cover art. It's cool, but that's all.

Bellamy
27-05-2006, 05:00 AM
He has many nice stuff there. Thank you for a link, Sylvie. :)
But I still don't like it because --- I don't see the consequences of Muse - SBH - this cover art. It's cool, but that's all.

did you see the minotaur one? "observer"....i was like:eek:
lol

kittywithagun
27-05-2006, 07:04 AM
i like it <3

Johanne28
27-05-2006, 08:29 AM
So sexy and weird = simply MUSE :yesey:

Puppet
27-05-2006, 01:14 PM
i really like the new artwork. looks good.

Is this bloke doing the album aswell then?

I thought it was going to be Thorgerson again :stunned:

Zane
27-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Wow, i like that art work a lot
hope it's similar to the album art

Rainbow
27-05-2006, 03:24 PM
did you see the minotaur one? "observer"....i was like:eek:
lol*checks again*
Yeah, it's great ... actually I awed to many of them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Bellamy_button/jasper.jpg

-board crashes-
Meanwhile I found interesting interview (http://www.icon-magazine.co.uk/issues/023/jasper.htm) from icon magazine. From there I guess the price for the art is 5k-10k. :stunned:

Stix
27-05-2006, 03:29 PM
*checks again*
Yeah, it's great ... actually I awed to many of them.

i think with the 'observer' was meant this one:
http://www.jaspergoodall.com/observer.jpg

Rainbow
27-05-2006, 03:44 PM
i think with the 'observer' was meant this one:Yep, I saw it, thanks. :) And I wanted to post something I really liked.

Still, I doubt if it represents Muse, although it can be suitable for the first impression of SBH. Actually, I never thought Muse's music and their art goes together well. Even their logo --- I don't see the band's character in it.

Vaya
27-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Hmm... I know what you mean. But i guess encapsulating "what the band is about" in a logo is proper hard to do like; but it can be done (see Take That for example :LOL: )

mesleepnow
28-05-2006, 12:22 AM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2643/sbhlol3aa.png

slippersock
28-05-2006, 12:49 AM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2643/sbhlol3aa.png

hahaha! :D

slippersock
28-05-2006, 12:52 AM
http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=31346 check these and post your own. it pwns if you're bored! :happy:

spintofan
24-07-2006, 10:32 PM
just made my first ever mash up
its supermassive black hole vs mandy by the Spinto Band
please be kind

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=AFBEBCA33FE40A8B

let me know what you think

Davy
24-07-2006, 10:50 PM
It sounds a good idea, but its taking forever to download. :(

Popey
24-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Wow this is quite good. I was half expecting another naff remix. Well done.

Ducky101
24-07-2006, 11:40 PM
that was pretty alright! I'm a bitch so i'd normally come up with negative points but i can't find anything reasonably interesting to criticise...

Nice one :D

Romanticide
25-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Haha, this is pretty good actually. It sounds very trippy at this time of night for me =p

What did you use to do it?

Ducky101
25-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Haha, this is pretty good actually. It sounds very trippy at this time of night for me =p

What did you use to do it?

i thought so too :D

spintofan
25-07-2006, 04:44 PM
thanks for the feedback.. i used acid pro to make it btw

Funguy
25-07-2006, 11:01 PM
i can't stop listenig to it! i even sent off to a mate who also loves it! well done!

Popey
26-07-2006, 08:50 PM
i can't stop listenig to it! i even sent off to a mate who also loves it! well done!

I can't stop listening to it either. It's fantastic. :happy:

j1gorman
09-01-2007, 04:43 AM
Hey all

Thought you might appreciate this link -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6243361.stm

Seems scientists have corroborated Muse's original theory.

:)

JG

Silver Rose
09-01-2007, 04:53 AM
and your point being? there are several hundreds of black holes and supermassive black holes in the middle of our galaxy causing hundreds of quazars and trillions of stars to gravatate towards the center.

Interesting huh?:rolleyes:

insane_muser
09-01-2007, 04:59 AM
Calm down up there! :LOL:

Silver Rose
09-01-2007, 05:06 AM
Calm down up there! :LOL:

:LOL: lol, i just wanted to know what the point of the thread was sorry to j1gorman :LOL:

yeah i guess i should cut him/her some slack, coz they're new

welcome to the muse messageboard j1gorman

Chizzleface
09-01-2007, 06:26 AM
You might also want to know that it's not Muse's theory. Matt just happened to like the name and think it appropriate.

Real scientists came up with the theory.

Silver Rose
09-01-2007, 06:31 AM
You might also want to know that it's not Muse's theory. Matt just happened to like the name and think it appropriate.

Real scientists came up with the theory.

no where in the song is there a theory, so I agree with you.

Scream your screams
09-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Welcome j1gorman :D

Burning_Down
13-01-2007, 02:04 AM
Yes it's true! Someone has choreographed one!:LOL:

And if anyone is intrested...it is as follows:

Black Hole

By: Matt Oakley
Music: Supermasive Blackhole by Muse
Counts: 32
Walls: 4

Touch & Step, ¼ Rock & Cross, Rouck & Touch, & Cross Shuffle.
1 LF Touch Fwd
& LF Step next to RF
2 RF Step fwd
3 LF Turn ¼ R, rock to L side
& RF Recover weight
4 LF Cross over RF
5 RF Rock to R side
& LF Recover weight
6 RF Point across LF
& RF Step to R side
7 LF Cross over R
& RF Step to R side
8 LF Cross over R

Step, Hitch ½ Turn, & Step, Cross, Step, Push, Cross, Side Shuffle.
1 RF Turn ¼ R, step fwd
2 LF Hitch, Turn ½ R
& LF Step slightly to L side
3 RF Step to R side
4 LF Cross over RF
& RF Step to R side
5 LF Step to R, as you step LF in push RF out to side (creating a slip action)
6 RF Cross over LF
7 LF Step to L side
& RF Step to LF
8 LF Step to L side

Fwd Rock, Recover, Sailor Step, Rock & Side, & Side Step.
1 RF Rock fwd to R diag.
2 LF Recover weight
& RF Step behind LF
3 LF Step to L side
4 RF Step to R side
5 LF Rock behind RF, in locked position
& RF recover weight
6 LF Step to L side
7 Hold
& RF Step to LF
8 LF Step to L side

Cross & Side, Touch Behind X2, Behind & Cross, Hip Roll, & Bump
1 RF Cross over LF
& LF Step to L side
2 RF Step to R side
& LF Touch behind RF, as you do swivel toes of RF to R (bit of style)
3 LF Step to L side, as you do swivel toes of RF back to center
& RF Touch behind LF, as you do swivel toes of LF to L
4 RF Step to R side, as you do swivel toes of LF back to center
5 LF Cross behind RF
& RF Step To R side
6 LF cross in front of RF, as you do that, start a hip roll going backward first then round clockwise
7 turn ½ R, finish hip roll so your weight is back on LF
& Bump hips fwd to R diag
8 Sit back into LF
& RF quick weight change, bring RF to LF.

Start Again…….

insane_muser
13-01-2007, 02:42 AM
:stunned:

:LOL: I have no idea what any of that means

stephW
13-01-2007, 02:47 AM
better have a video for that....

stace_face
13-01-2007, 02:49 AM
better have a video for that....

+ 1

video please

btw non of that made any sense to me :happy:

MadameDajy
13-01-2007, 03:27 AM
Post a video and I'll teach it to everyone I know :LOL:

Liron
13-01-2007, 03:47 AM
I understood some of it. But I can't dance so NO WAY.

It's really not hard (unless you didn't get the LF = Left foot, RF = Right foot lol!)
- Of course it doesn't mean it'd actually look good.

AndiC
13-01-2007, 04:16 AM
I am rather tempted to try this out :LOL:

AndiC
13-01-2007, 04:18 AM
(not that I understand any of it or have any idea how to line dance)

hehehe:p

Celtic Rose
12-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Sorry, but I just found this on Storm's website, and it is waaaay better than the actual art. I love it.

http://www.stormthorgerson.com/html/nr/NR02.html#

http://www.stormthorgerson.com/window.html

SoulDrift
22-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Anyone see this?

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/3741/untitleduc2.jpg

guitarchaeologist
22-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Wahey!

If they could get that song on Top 40 radio, Muse would finally blow up in the States!

tnxphile
23-04-2007, 02:02 PM
It's about damn time! I couldn't understand why it wasn't released as a single here back when BH&R came out in the first place.

Hoyden
23-04-2007, 02:55 PM
It's about damn time! I couldn't understand why it wasn't released as a single here back when BH&R came out in the first place.

Same thing with Invincible. Can you imagine all of the Grad services blaring it across the States in May-June? Would be a little slice of heaven, for sure. But we'll have to wait till next year.

hysteria87
23-04-2007, 03:07 PM
I thought it was released as a single. At least, it was the first song of theirs that I heard on the radio. hmm...
Oh well, if it does anything, then yay!

Discoprincess32
23-04-2007, 03:23 PM
You know whats funny? My daughter (who listens to "top40" radio, doesn't like Muse, but she and her friends LOVE that song and would love to hear it on the radio. They even req. via text (it didn't get played as far as we could tell), but that awesome. I KNOW it would do well! She likes the bass.

MadameDajy
23-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Fantastic! :happy: This song's sure to catch on, as it's fun to dance to and act dorky to. :LOL:

tnxphile
23-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Same thing with Invincible. Can you imagine all of the Grad services blaring it across the States in May-June? Would be a little slice of heaven, for sure. But we'll have to wait till next year.

You know, I hadn't really thought of Invincible being used for that, but it would be perfect. Though if forced to choose between which gets released here next, Supermassive gets my vote. It's been nearly a year, and I'm still not tired of it.

BTW, love the quote in your sig. Words to live by. :)

LilyoftheMyst
23-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Supermassive has been played a couple of times on our local rock station here in London Ontario (Canada)...but the responsive wasn't that great. Heard Assassin a couple times...but not lately. Saw Invincible on the video channel (much music) a couple days ago, but haven't heard it on the radio. I'm kind of confused as to what the next official single is either here or in the states :LOL:

Maccah
07-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Can someone upload another link?

MandyNau
07-05-2007, 03:21 PM
This sounds like it's gonna be my worst nightmare. I think I'll stay away from it :LOL:

Maccah
07-05-2007, 03:24 PM
This sounds like it's gonna be my worst nightmare. I think I'll stay away from it :LOL:
:LOL::LOL:
I wanna hear it :p
Could be half decent

HelzBelz
07-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Can someone upload another link?

Yeah, says its expired :(

seregon
07-05-2007, 05:55 PM
I demand more weird mash ups/remixes! :D If only I could hear this :(

miz_showbiz
09-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Debuts at #40 on the Modern Rock chart.

Previous US singles threads: Knights of Cydonia (http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=32191), Starlight (http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=36867)

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

Modern Rock Tracks
May 19: #40
May 26: #39
June 02: #33
June 09: #28
June 16: #28
June 23: #26
June 30: #22
July 07: #21
July 14: #21
July 21: #21
July 28: #18
Aug 04: #16
Aug 11: #13
Aug 18: #12
Aug 25: #12
Sept 01: #7
Sept 08: #7
Sept 15: #6
Sept 22: #7
Sept 29: #6
Oct. 06: #8
Oct. 13: #11

BLACK HOLES AND REVELATIONS
Billboard 200

Aug 25: #181 4,061 (356,782)

guitarchaeologist
10-05-2007, 12:10 AM

Previous US singles threads: Knights of Cydonia (http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=32191), Starlight (http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=36867)

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

Modern Rock Tracks
Not bad...but everyone is the US needs to help get Muse to the top 10 at least!

If you all send emails to dj@cd101.com and request SBH, you can help get it into heavier rotation.

SoulDrift
10-05-2007, 12:16 AM
99x has not played it yet, though Starlight is still at #1 on their playlist. I've called several times for it and posted a "the single is out" comment on their Myspace.

Atlanta residents, please call! (404) - 741 - 0997 and request SMBH!!

halo eighteen
10-05-2007, 04:18 AM
I don't really see how this song will do better than Starlight. It sounds like the bastard child of Scissor Sisters and Prince more so than a Muse song. I hope I'm wrong. Even Knights had a better debut entry.

Niall
10-05-2007, 07:40 AM
I don't really see how this song will do better than Starlight. It sounds like the bastard child of Scissor Sisters and Prince more so than a Muse song. I hope I'm wrong. Even Knights had a better debut entry.

Get back to June 2006!

I could do fine. Starlight took ages to climb up the charts, and SBH has only been played for a few weeks at most.

MistressMary
10-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Could you send e-mails even if you don't live in the US? It seems a bit weird for someone in NZ to care what a radio station in the US plays... I think I'd feel like I'm cheating, so I won't send an e-mail unless someone really wants me to. lol

halo eighteen
18-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Week 2: Up one spot to #39.

Rhymes with Booze
19-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Am I stuck in an alternate universe? Or am I just missing something really obvious? Because I distinctly remember SMBH being released WAAAYYYYY before KoC or Starlight. I bought it the day it came out, before the album was released. And it got play on KROQ as the "first single off the upcoming Muse album."

Apocalypse Pleasure
19-05-2007, 12:40 AM
Am I stuck in an alternate universe? Or am I just missing something really obvious? Because I distinctly remember SMBH being released WAAAYYYYY before KoC or Starlight. I bought it the day it came out, before the album was released. And it got play on KROQ as the "first single off the upcoming Muse album."

Nope, it was the first single to come out in Europe, and the first here was Knights of Cydonia. KROQ are just dumb and they probably assumed it would be the single here as well.

Buuuut... I need to listen to the radio more often. I didn't know SMBH was the new single.

guitarchaeologist
19-05-2007, 01:55 AM
Could you send e-mails even if you don't live in the US? It seems a bit weird for someone in NZ to care what a radio station in the US plays... I think I'd feel like I'm cheating, so I won't send an e-mail unless someone really wants me to. lol
You can listen online to the American radio station here (http://cd101.com/sections/listenlive/index.asp).

Strawberry_Juice
19-05-2007, 02:39 AM
107.9 here have played it once, but it was the little "Field Test" thing they do where they have people call up and give their two cents on whether the song should be played more or not. I've not heard it other than that...

I think there were only two negative calls- the rest were mostly already fans of Muse (I called in three times :$ ), but there were quite a few who seemed to have heard SBH for the first time and liked it. One guy said it was a "Marilyn Manson/Prince disco orgy." :LOL:

thecitizeneraser
19-05-2007, 02:41 AM
They played on a radio station here recently and the DJ said something to the effect of, "This is the best song ever - Muse will top the charts!" :D

Evie
19-05-2007, 10:58 AM
107.9 here have played it once, but it was the little "Field Test" thing they do where they have people call up and give their two cents on whether the song should be played more or not. I've not heard it other than that...

I think there were only two negative calls- the rest were mostly already fans of Muse (I called in three times :$ ), but there were quite a few who seemed to have heard SBH for the first time and liked it. One guy said it was a "Marilyn Manson/Prince disco orgy." :LOL:
In any case, I'm pretty sure the video for SMBH beats watching Marilyn Manson writhing around with whatshername while covered in blood. :stunned:

Girish
19-05-2007, 08:17 PM

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

Modern Rock Tracks

F'ing hell, its doing that badly. I thought SMBH was a song that people liked in the US >.>

thecitizeneraser
19-05-2007, 08:26 PM
F'ing hell, its doing that badly. I thought SMBH was a song that people liked in the US >.>

Actually, that's a pretty good start for Muse. Sure as hell beats being back at like #278 or something...:stunned:

Girish
19-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Actually, that's a pretty good start for Muse. Sure as hell beats being back at like #278 or something...:stunned:

I suppose but both KoC and Starlight debuted a bit higher though; in the top 20?

thecitizeneraser
19-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I suppose but both KoC and Starlight debuted a bit higher though; in the top 20?

Hmm, I don't think so... But I don't know.

Girish
19-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Hmm, I don't think so... But I don't know.

Hopefully SMBH can get top 10. :)

thecitizeneraser
19-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Hopefully SMBH can get top 10. :)

+1 :yesey:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

guitarchaeologist
20-05-2007, 12:26 AM
+1 :yesey:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Ditto.

vilandra21
20-05-2007, 04:45 AM
I havent heard SMBH on the radio yet, just MotP.

miz_showbiz
24-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Up to #33.

KOC and Starlight debuted at 37 and 32, respectively.

Raiko
24-05-2007, 01:08 PM
It's climbing.

thecitizeneraser
24-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Up to #33.

Yay :happy:

Girish
24-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Up to #33.

KOC and Starlight debuted at 37 and 32, respectively.

Thanks and whooo! Go muse! go SMBH!

stuffitv3
24-05-2007, 11:27 PM
I just heard it on the radio the other day. I was all like cool SMBH.

hysteria87
24-05-2007, 11:45 PM
The Midwest is a black hole. Nothing in Chicago at all, although I keep telling myself that after Lolla Q101 will be forced to play them!

SoulDrift
25-05-2007, 02:56 AM
Other southern cities have picked it up (Tampa, for one) - but not Atlanta. Still wearing out that Starlight MP3 on 99X, though. I keep calling...

miele
25-05-2007, 10:00 AM
It's such a cool sexy song. C'mon people make it climb the charts!

Hyper
25-05-2007, 04:50 PM
hey beautiful Muse fans in the US -

if you already called your stations, please help us out in DC - they still play Starlight here - does not help the charts i think

let's request SMBH on DC101 -

dc101 request phone

email: request@dc101.com

:)

SoulDrift
28-05-2007, 11:15 PM
At least it got a minute or two of airplay, Friday Morning as people were leaving town..

That said, looks like Starlight may be going Pop? Found this among Billboard singles reviews (http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/content_display/reviews/singles/e3ic23a999d9ccd27a992d33e4e85c054e3), from 5/26/07:

ARTIST: MUSE

SINGLE: STARLIGHT

With 2006 fifth effort "Black Holes and Revelations," Muse delivers an onslaught of progressive stadium rock hits, earning the Brit trio a lofty top 10 view on the U.S. album chart and second consecutive No. 1 U.K. album. On "Starlight," lead Matthew Bellamy's vocals effortlessly rip through an introductory barrage of percussion and bass and seamlessly glide atop heavily synthesized arpeggios and glimmering scales. Having already nearly topped the modern rock playlist, "Starlight," with its wave of refreshment, is *primed for mainstream acceptance*. Muse has hit its intergalactic stride.

Degrassi41
29-05-2007, 04:09 AM
At least it got a minute or two of airplay, Friday Morning as people were leaving town..

That said, looks like Starlight may be going Pop? Found this among Billboard singles reviews (http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/content_display/reviews/singles/e3ic23a999d9ccd27a992d33e4e85c054e3), from 5/26/07:

ARTIST: MUSE

SINGLE: STARLIGHT

With 2006 fifth effort "Black Holes and Revelations," Muse delivers an onslaught of progressive stadium rock hits, earning the Brit trio a lofty top 10 view on the U.S. album chart and second consecutive No. 1 U.K. album. On "Starlight," lead Matthew Bellamy's vocals effortlessly rip through an introductory barrage of percussion and bass and seamlessly glide atop heavily synthesized arpeggios and glimmering scales. Having already nearly topped the modern rock playlist, "Starlight," with its wave of refreshment, is *primed for mainstream acceptance*. Muse has hit its intergalactic stride.

*smacks head*

Apocalypse Pleasure
29-05-2007, 04:23 AM

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

Modern Rock Tracks
June 02: #33

Is that your prediction, or did you just get back from time travel?

miz_showbiz
31-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Is that your prediction, or did you just get back from time travel?
It's the way Billboard dates their charts.

Mandy_
31-05-2007, 01:38 PM
:noey:

thecitizeneraser
31-05-2007, 01:56 PM

It's climbing the charts... :D

Apocalypse Pleasure
02-06-2007, 02:24 AM

Why? :confused: @ Billboard dates

Niall
03-06-2007, 01:11 PM
The same way monthly magazines are often in the shops the week before the month actually begins etc. Although I don't know why they do it for these charts...

It's strange in the US how something that starts low down in the charts and works its way to the top, like how startlight got to number 2 arfter weeks, it's like the UK charts in reverse.

miz_showbiz
07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Spends a second week at #28.

Massamused
08-06-2007, 12:59 AM
The same way monthly magazines are often in the shops the week before the month actually begins etc. Although I don't know why they do it for these charts...

It's strange in the US how something that starts low down in the charts and works its way to the top, like how startlight got to number 2 arfter weeks, it's like the UK charts in reverse.

Possibly maybe because it's hard to circulate new music releases unless there are adverts, with such a big country. Supermassive Black Hole doesn't sound "mainstream" enough for the U.S. population IMO. Or maybe people in the U.S. are way too preoccupied with other things to enjoy music? Just my view on it.

miele
08-06-2007, 01:38 AM
Spends a second week at #28.

Not good. C'mon you people!

miz_showbiz
14-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Up to #26.

jl3angel
14-06-2007, 01:48 PM
who gives a shit? like Muse need to be famous in the US?!:rolleyes:

they're OURS. OURS I TELL YA!
get'cha cheeseburger greasy paws of OUR MUSE. America doesnt deserve Matt, Dom and Chris

BigSteve
14-06-2007, 02:51 PM

get'cha cheeseburger greasy paws of OUR MUSE. America doesnt deserve Matt, Dom and Chris

:LOL: *h5*

Discoprincess32
15-06-2007, 06:29 PM

LOL!!!! Thats so funny! I'm tossed up on whether or not I want them to be big here. They've played Starlight to death and the DJ here says it is the best Muse song EVER! Whatever. My daughter and all her little teeny popper friends LOVE SMBH but never req. it. If it got airplay on "normal" radio stations, I thing it would do well, not so good on the alternative stations though, too weird, I guess. I didn't like it until I saw it performed Live, then I liked it.;)

miele
19-06-2007, 07:50 AM
who gives a shit? like Muse need to be famous in the US?!

You...make a lot of sense actually. I agree, if they don't 'get' Muse, they don't deserve Muse. To hell with the charts! (yes i'm fickle).

Juuso
19-06-2007, 08:29 PM
You...make a lot of sense actually. I agree, if they don't 'get' Muse, they don't deserve Muse. To hell with the charts! (yes i'm fickle).
Nobody "deserves" Muse. I hate this true fan talk.

Raiko
20-06-2007, 03:01 AM
If it wasn't for the chart success of Origin Of Symmetry and Bliss, I would not have noticed Muse. If I had only found out now, i'd feel kinda disapointed...

brandondash
20-06-2007, 07:24 PM
This post is full of fail. :(

miele
21-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Nobody "deserves" Muse. I hate this true fan talk.

That makes sense too. Damn my fickleness! *Runs away from this thread*

miz_showbiz
21-06-2007, 12:06 PM

Raiko
21-06-2007, 12:49 PM

I don't see it reaching the top 10 at this rate. It's not making the great leaps. But top 20 is nothing bad.

Metallix
21-06-2007, 05:06 PM
For some reason I see Supermassive Black Hole charting in the US pop and dance charts.

Niall
21-06-2007, 05:14 PM
I don't see it reaching the top 10 at this rate. It's not making the great leaps. But top 20 is nothing bad.

Starlight took about 4 months to get to #2, check the thread in the OP.

binarysonnets
21-06-2007, 05:41 PM
An american once said to me that because they hadn't heard of muse, and because muse weren't massive in america (yet.. they'll soon take over the world) that they obviously weren't a band capabale of "making it in the music industry." I thought their attitude was horrible (america = the music industry... jeezy chreezy) and decided not to bother anymore. I think some people don't realise that other countries exist besides their own (not directed at americans, just people in generally.)

bellamyspiano
21-06-2007, 06:30 PM
What the fuck??? That's CRAP!! grrrrrr!

Raiko
21-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Starlight took about 4 months to get to #2, check the thread in the OP.

Oh right. Fair enough then. I'll try to be a little more patient lol.

miz_showbiz
26-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Video added at VH1 and FUSE.

Juuso
26-06-2007, 12:55 PM

Should help a bit.

Discoprincess32
26-06-2007, 03:17 PM

Is it the original UK version or a stupid "toned down" American version?

I noticed that the American video for "Time Is Running Out" is different that the version for the UK (scantily clad dancing girls, lord forbid us angelic Americans see that!:eek:)

SoulDrift
28-06-2007, 02:49 AM
And it does matter, because if Muse make an impact, it provides motivation to other bands to emulate. Honestly, Muse *sound* so much better than most alt-rock, it can only help. Seriously.

miz_showbiz
28-06-2007, 10:36 AM

Is it the original UK version or a stupid "toned down" American version?
It's the original UK version.

Metallix
28-06-2007, 04:37 PM
I really don't get why Muse always change their music videos to fit into the American market. If they don't like it, tough. Sheesh.